“Simply Did Not Want To Leave”

Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi
Ranked #5 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Simply Did Not Want To Leave”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I've always lusted after going and staying at Yas Island Viceroy, ever since I went to the F1 here in the UAE. It just looks amazing and its good looks deliver on their promise with what I can only describe as a truly wonderful, thoroughly fantastic stay. We were greeted on arrival by very pleasant door staff who very quickly worked out who we were and addressed us by name - a lovely personal touch which was indicative to every single member of staff we met at the hotel from the front desk to the cleaning staff and then onto the maitre d and the wonderful 'Gilbert' at Nautilius.

A hotel is only as good as its staff and the Viceroy has clearly invested a lot of effort in training its staff really well. Everyone made my husband and I feel welcome, they could literally not have done enough for us whilst not being so smarmy or intrusive.

The rooms at this hotel are delightful - we had a fantastic view of the marina and the F1 circuit. The room itself was huge - with a beautiful bathroom, separate shower and a sofa. My partner and I felt so comfortable it was difficult to leave and go to use the other facilities.

The 'family pool' is tiny and honestly not the best part of this hotel - although it is still beautiful. The 'quiet pool' was much better - more space to swim and a lovely view. The gym is state of the art, and has culturally sensitive training areas.

We only tried one restaurant - Nautilius - the seafood and meat restaurant. The staff here were flawless - we thoroughly enjoyed every single moment of this experience from our bubbly welcome to the beautiful light chocolate mousse to complete a beautiful meal. Our waiter was a chap called Gilbert - a super chap who knew the menu inside out and was able to match our tastes to the perfect recommendation.

I can't recommend this hotel strongly enough - it is fantastic - I just wish I could afford to stay there during the F1.

Room Tip: I think they will all be amazing
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ema L
YasViceroy, Hotel Manager at Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Dear Ema L,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review of Yas Viceroy. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular your comments about our colleagues. I will thank Gilbert at our Nautilus Restaurant personally for his efforts.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Oliver Bruns

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (699)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ormeau, Australia
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights and found the staff extremely helpful. We had arrived quite early, 8am, and were given access to our rooms straight away. This was great as we managed a couple of hours sleep after our long flight. We found the room very clean and comfortable. We enjoyed meals at Atayeb and Angar Restaurants, and both times had lovely food and great service.We also enjoyed some time by the pool, which was lovely. The hotel has a courtesy bus to Ferrari World, which is a must for car fanatics.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kjcaus
YasViceroy, Hotel Manager at Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Dear Kjcaus,

Thank you for sharing your review on TripAdvisor - and for your wonderful photos!

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stayed here for only one night mainly to explore the attractions (Ferrari World). But I have to say that our experience was disappointing! Apart from the room itself there was nothing! No service, no welcome drinks, absolu tely nothing! Even at the check out the lady did not even ask how our stay was! Rude!!! It was our first visit to UAE and this hotel simply does not deserve the hype it has!! At least not from us!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Rabia K
Dear Rabia K,

I am of course very disappointed to read your review and I am sorry that you felt your experience was very poor. I would very much appreciate you contacting me via yas.info@viceroyhotelsandresorts.com so that I could discuss your experience further with you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 12 July 2013

We stayed at the Viceroy as we wanted to have a couple of days to explore the attractions on Yas Island (namely Yas Waterworld and Ferrari World). I had entertainer travel vouchers which allowed us to pay for one night, and get the second night free.

The hotel is in an excellent location, only a short drive from where we wanted to visit. It is also surrounded by the F1 racetrack, which is interesting to look at even when not in use. The DU Arena and Forum are also nearby, making it a good choice if you are going to a concert on the island (the drive back to Dubai late at night is particularly tedious and I would certainly opt to stay in a nearby hotel rather than drive back the same day, if time allowed). The hotel also offers good views of Yas Marina.

We checked in and were shown to our room. The staff at the front desk were all very friendly and talkative. It was quite late, so we had dinner at Noodle Box, one of the restaurants on the ground floor. It was rather expensive (28aed for 800ml of water - ask for local water!), however the food was nice. One problem we did have was that the AC was very cold inside (the entire hotel, not just this specific restaurant), and of course being July it was a bit too hot to sit outside - though we managed it for breakfast!

Our room was nice enough. We looked out onto the F1 track, however the balcony door would not open, and there was a sign saying so. The bathroom area was made up of a series of sliding frosted glass doors, which was interesting to say the least!

The hotel is located near the airport, which of course is very convenient for those travelling by plane. However, what we did not appreciate was the planes flying overhead every 5 minutes, until about 3:30am. We have both stayed in hotels near to airports before, and of course some noise is expected, but neither of us had experienced anything like this! It was a rather sleepless night...

Breakfast was served in Origins, and took the form of a buffet. The staff were friendly and helpful, and the food was good. We enjoyed sitting outside, but were the only ones acclimatised enough to do so.

Unbeknown to me, my boyfriend then went to speak to the front desk about our room. He explained to them about the plane noise and the fact that we could not access the balcony. In a fantastic gesture, we were then upgraded to a Marina executive suite. We were escorted there personally by a member of staff.

The suite was fantastic, and very roomy. There were two rooms, a living room and a bedroom, both with TV and inbuilt sound system. There was also two bathrooms, a dressing room and a large shower, with a separate bath. Again, the sliding glass doors partitioned this area from the rest of the room. You could also open and close the curtains by remote control, and adjust all the lights remotely to a variety of settings. The view now looked onto the Marina and was much better than the one from our previous room.

One problem that we soon discovered was that although we could open the balcony door, it would not close properly. Each time we wanted it closing, we had to call reception for them to send a maintenance man with a glass grabber to close the door for us.

We spent the afternoon relaxing on the balcony, and were sent a complimentary bowl of fruit. After this, we went to the pool on the roof (adults only rather than the family one). The pool gently slopes to about 1m deep, and was nice and refreshing. The sun loungers were also very comfortable. On closer inspection, the pool is a bit shabby with paint peeling off in various locations.

In the evening, we went to Nautilus restaurant. The ambiance was fantastic, and our waiter, Gilbert, was very helpful. I cannot eat dairy products and both Gilbert and the chef went out of their way to ensure that they adapted the dishes for me. The food was delicious!

That night we both had much better sleep as the planes were not flying directly overhead. We had breakfast the following morning in a different location due to the start of Ramadan. The buffet however, was the same.

The hotel was probably not cleaned as well as it should have been, as we did find a potato chip in the shower, and there were a few questionable stains on the sofas. Also, the hot tap gave cold water and the cold tap hot water, so clearly it had not been plumbed correctly!

All in all, we had a good stay and were blown away by the fantastic customer service at this hotel. It is only the poor build (as with most things in the UAE, it probably was built far too quickly) that lets this hotel down.

Room Tip: Choose a marina view room.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RachaelHarrison
Dear RachaelHarrison,

Thank you very sharing your comprehensive review on TripAdvisor.

I am concerned with some of your observations and I will review this in detail with our team here at the hotel. As far as the balcony doors are concerned, we are in fact currently replacing all of the doors in order to make them easy to operate and also improve sound insulation. We expect to complete this project by the end of the year.

In the end, I am happy to read that you felt our service did meet your expectations and I would like to thank you for recognizing this. Please rest assured, we will work through your other comments, especially in terms of maintenance around the hotel.

I do hope that you will visit us again soon and remain with kind regards,

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 10 July 2013

The hotel looks nice and is a good location (close to the water park and Ferrari World). However, the rooms were not cleaned or stocked well (stains on the walls, broken equipment, and had to call the front desk to fill the coffee supply.

At breakfast I ordered tea and I had to ask 3 people to bring it to me. If I plan to go to Yas Island again, I will not stay at this hotel.

Also there is NO privacy in the bathroom! The sliding doors act as walls and do not close all the way.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Lindsay F
Dear globetrotter304,

I am very disappointed to read your review and I am obviously very concerned with some of your comments. I would like to apologize for the experience you had and would appreciate you contacting me via yas.info@viceroyhotelsandresorts.com so that I could discuss this further with you.

New Delhi
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Stayed in begening of june ( me , my wife, a 7 yr old and an 11 month old) one room, f1 track facing, Awesome place, first class rooms, room service FABULOUS, Breakfast top notch, Pool fabulous, nothing short of one of the best properties I have stayed at other than the fact that the bathrooms are opaque Glass and dont lock so kind of a , WOAH

Room Tip: If travelling with kids better get 2 rooms
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Achadha7
Dear Achadha7,

Thank you for sharing your brief thoughts on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope that you will be back very soon.

Dubai
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We spent a weekend in Yas Viceroy because we wanted to go to Yas Waterpark. We choose the hotel because it's quite unique, and also because they had good deals for GCC residents.
At the check up everything went smoothly and quickly. We were upgraded to a suite, and it was really great as we a family with three children. The room was big, light, modern decorated, clean, with a big bathroom, good water pressure etc. The only thing I did not like was the smell.... i saw in another comment on Tripadvisor about the bed smell in the room.
We ate in two restaurants: Italian one (forgot the name) and noodle box (Asian cuisine). I liked the both, though service is quite slow. Also, very expensive! The prices in Abu Dhabi do not include the service 16%, whilst in Dubai it's already in the price. So when you do not pay attention, it becomes expensive.
I did not like that there are two different pools (one for families with children and the other one for adults only), and they are completely separated (in two different buildings). Actually the hotel is divided in two buildings connected by a bridge over the F1 race track, on the level of 2nd floor. And the pools are on the top of each building. So if you want to go to the other pool, you have to go down to 2nd floor, cross the bridge and go up on 9th floor.
The service in the hotel was really great! Absolutely everyone I had to deal with was nice, pleasant and very polite! I really enjoyed this!
The breakfast was great, with a lot of choice. the quality of food was great. We could still sit on the terrace (they did not close it for summer and it's great for those who want to take advantage of still good morning temperatures). And with a view on F1 race track!
I did not like the price for a roll-away bed, 174 AED (with taxes). it's really very expensive!
I also did not like airplanes noise, because the airport is nearby.
Overall, we spent really great time in the hotel. I do not regret at all we choose this one and not something else (there are a lot of options on Yas Island) . Maybe a bit too expensive, but well, it's the only hotel in the world situated over F1 race track.

Room Tip: take a room with the view on Marina.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Glandois
Dear Glandois,

Thank you so much for sharing your extensive review on TripAdvisor. You have covered many interesting points about our property and I will share this with our team.

I am glad to read that you felt our colleagues to be pleasant and welcoming - your comments will be a great motivation to everyone.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.