“Fantastic Anniversary Weekend!”

Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi
Ranked #4 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Wanted something different and came across some (relatively) cheap flights from Manchester to Abu Dhabi. After reading TripAdvisor and asking others, settled on staying at the Yas Viceroy.

Decided to stay on a half board basis and definitely made a great choice!! From confirming the booking to liaising with guest services for transport to/from the hotel it really was 5* service all the way.

Arrived at the hotel Friday morning after an overnight flight from the UK. My wife was given a small bunch of flowers on arrival and we were taken straight to our room to sign the checking in paperwork.

Rooms are very spacious and modern and the king size bed one of the biggest and best we have ever stayed in.

The half board option is buffet style or a credit against a meal in any of the on site restaurants. As well as breakfast, we ate at Amici (Italian) and the food was OK, nothing special but then again nothing wrong with it. We also ate at Angar (Indian) and this was excellent, as good as any Indian Restaurant we have eaten in.

We were treated to 2 separate anniversary cakes which was very much appreciated and spent 2 evenings in Rush nightclub which was great for people watching and the free drinks for ladies early in the evening went down well!

Overall a great hotel and a great weekend and all of it wouldn't have been possible without the excellent staff from the hotel. All very hardworking and very pleased to assist anyway they can and they should take the credit for this very positive review. Whilst we can't list everyone, a special thank you to Patrick on the Concierge desk who was particularly helpful.

A lot of people asked why we wanted to go so far for what was 3 days away and a overnight flight. Our advice would be try it!! Very relaxing time - also helped in no small way by great flights and service from Etihad who I hadn't flown with before and and will definitely be going back!!!

We do have lots of other positives (such as proximity to the airport) but am always conscious of other readers not wanting to be weighed down with too much to read. In summary, give Abu Dhabi and the Yas Viceroy a go - well worth it in our opinion!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SGG372
YasViceroy, General Manager at Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear SGG372,

Thank you for choosing to spend your anniversary weekend with us and we are happy to know that it has been amazing.

It is our delight that you and your wife enjoyed the facilities of Yas Viceroy and the variety of dining options. We are also glad to know that you had a wonderful time in Rush Bar and that our entire team took good care of you during your stay.

It has been our pleasure to serve you and we look forward to your next visit for an even better experience.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I stayed at the Yas Viceroy for another staycation and because the rates were very competitive. Having been there during its early years (prior to adopting the Viceroy brand), I knew what to expect but hoped that things changed.

Being a weekend, the check in process took some time. All the bell boys were occupied and so we had to drag our bags to our room. Yas Viceroy is actually divided into 2 sections connected by a bridge: Marina & Main. It can take some time to adjust your bearings.

The interiors look like they came straight out of a sci-fi movie set.

The room was huge by UAE standards. Ours had a balcony with a view to the tracks and the bridge. There was a comfortable seating area (I must have spent most of my time in that room on the couch). The TV remote also controlled the curtains, and the lights. At times I'd have to keep pressing it for the remote to work. I wish there was a way to manually control which lights to turn on. There's a nespresso machine, which is a nice touch.

The bathroom could be a bit disarming to sharing business travellers because the walls are made of translucent glass. One of the glass panels in the bathroom slides, giving a view from the tub to the TV.

There is a "quiet" rooftop pool on the Marina wing, which is reserved for adult guests. However, teenage guests tend to get carried away but otherwise, this was a good decision by the management.

Staff is overall friendly... you get greeted warmly everywhere, from the hallways to the restaurants.

The Spa entrance overlooks the Marina... somehow you wish the therapy rooms themselves also capitalized on this view. but that's me nitpicking. Espa was the biggest highlight in my stay. The lounge is relaxing... the sauna was one of the biggest I've been in anywhere. My therapist was Chai, a Thai man who was VERY respectful and VERY good. He explained to me the whole process and gave me the choices of oils for each step. He knew exactly what to do (I had back and calf pain and he worked on these areas without me telling him)

If there was one thing I missed, it's that the ultramodern design gives the hotel a cold appearance... there's not a lot of green and, while the proximity to the race course is a unique selling point, one tends to miss gardens and green... maybe even on the rooftop.

The food has not changed much from the last time I ate there. We actually skipped Friday dinner at Origins because it looked pretty much like typical hotel fare. For a hotel this far from everywhere else, the food HAS to be a major draw.. We ate at Noodle Box, which was good but pretty overpriced for what we were getting. My bowl of Laksa was flavorful but in a 1.5-2 cup serving bowl for almost 60 dhs. Next morning's breakfast continued the trend that we observed the night before. The usual smoked fish, salad, turkey bacon, etc. There was a point where I wanted to eat more but stopped because I felt that there was nothing new to try.

Checkout was slower than the check in the day before... the staff looked frustrated and I feel that their system could have caused the delays.

Otherwise... to be honest, I would like to stay at the Yas Viceroy again... but I don't think I will want to try their regular rate.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
YasViceroy, General Manager at Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear AmANomad,

I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your very detailed and well thought out review. We really appreciate your lovely compliments on our friendly staff, in particular Chai. I am very pleased to read that you were able to relax in our unwinding ESPA and I will personally thank him for his efforts.

Thank you also for your feedback on the areas where you felt we could improve the experience. We regularly review these suggestions, so really appreciate you taking the time to share.

I wish you all the best and we hope to have the pleasure of serving you again on your next staycation on Yas Island.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Where to begin ?!
Just back from this amazing hotel. The staff are so friendly and really go out of their way to insure their guests have an enjoyable time there. The restaurants are very good, especially the Indian Restaurant, Angar. I will post seperate reviews of the restaurants but Angar must be on your list if visiting the hotel.
The rooms are very spacious with flat screen TV's and Nespresso coffee machines and views of the marina. Only drawback is that some of the rooms views are obscured by the shell roof . Our first room had this but I spoke to reception and we were moved to a room further along which was clear of the roof. We had to call maintenance as our kettle wasn't working and this was our only problem which was dealt with immediately. We wanted to add cables to the TV to watch videos from an iPod and we got the same engineer....he was amazing and fitted them just as quick as he fixed the kettle issue.....he was then nicknamed Kettle Guy for the rest of our stay !.
Other notable staff were the lifeguards in the adult pool...great guys who insure you have water, ice lollies, cold face towel regularly....really appreciated for sure.
Patrick at the concierge desk knows everything about everywhere and arranged my husbands golf.
Mohammed Fawzy , assistant hotel manager was very friendly and chatted to guests in the lobby when on duty.
Grieg the food and beverage manager always visible at the restaurant area.
We stayed in the Emirates Palace last year and to be honest the Yas Viceroy is on a par. It is not as ostentatious as the Emirates Palace but on comfort, service and quality there is no difference.
The Yas Viceroy is perfect for Formula 1 fans as it so close to the track. You can run, cycle or walk round the track on a Tuesday night..definitely worth it, great experience and a chance for great photos.
All in all a fab hotel with fab staff and we'll definately be back !

1  Thank Flutterbyer

Dear Flutterbyer,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing such a vivid recollection of your stay on TripAdvisor.com. We are thrilled to read about how much you enjoyed your visit at Yas Viceroy.
Nothing delights us more than to hear, that you were pleased with the location and that our team took good care of you, especially Patrick, Mohamed, Greig and your “Kettle Guy”.
Our lifeguards team is just as happy to know that their efforts were mentioned.

The Angar team is absolutely delighted with your comments about the delicious Indian dishes and that you recommended them so high.

We look forward to your next visit and to extend the warmest of welcomes upon your arrival.

Best regards,

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Beautiful hotel but our saturday was literally destroyed by a brunch of drunk noisy people by the swiming pool. They had their own music playing loud and they were disturbing the rest of us... Really a pity that the Staff didnt do anything at all except of serving more and more drinks to this drank group... And all these happend on the "quiet pool"..... Never again to yas viceroy!!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank El K
YasViceroy, General Manager at Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Dear El K,

It is of course very unfortunate that you have faced such an unpleasant experience by the pool during brunch time. This is not our usual standard and measures have been taken to avoid this in the future. On behalf of the entire team I would like to sincere apologize.
Your constructive review is truly appreciated and we would love to greet you as our guest again and hope to welcome you back soon.
If I can be of any further assistance with Viceroy Hotels and Resorts please do not hesitate to contact me directly via yas.info@viceroyhotelsandresorts.com.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I have reviewed 22 hotels here on Tripadvisor and this is the first time I have given a hotel a 1/5 rating. But never before have I experienced such bad service and never before have I had such a crappy experience, which is ironic since I was really looking forward to staying at the Yas Viceroy. But the crème de la crème was the amount of noise blaring from the speakers from the night club right underneath our room making sleep impossible.

My husband and I booked a weekend getaway at the Yas Viceroy looking forward to a nice relaxing stay and to "Immerse ourselves in ultimate luxury" as promised on their website. However as luck would have it, Justin Timberlake was playing that night and as such, the hotel was completely full. This meant that the service we experienced was atrocious. Check in was a mess, and it took 25 minutes for the guy to check us in! 25 minutes?? That is a whole episode of Friends! And that did not even count the time we had to wait for our turn. The guy who checked us in failed to tell us anything about breakfast, restaurants, facilities or how to find our room so we had to ask a random cleaning lady for directions as this was our first time at the hotel. He also failed to make us feel welcome or smile for that matter.

After checking in we wanted to go relax at one of the "two beautiful swimming pools", however due to the high occupancy the family pool was completely full. And I mean completely. People were sitting side by side in the water and due to the lack of sun loungers there were loads of people just lying on the floor. So off we go to the "quiet pool". However the lady guarding the entrance dismissed us arrogantly, saying access would cost us AED 245 per person. We said that we stayed at the hotel so surely we would be able to go to the pool, however she rudely informed us that there was a pool party happening. We asked her when this pool party would end, and she said in "15 minutes". When asking her if she was serious about charging us AED 500 for 15 minutes she merely rolled her eyes and ignored us. So we waited 15 minutes and then walked to the pool however the sight that met us was like a scene out of Dante's "Inferno". There were drunk people everywhere spilling drinks in the pool and the music was blaring. This was the "quiet pool" mind you and yet the music was still blasting into our ears after the pool party ended. But the worst part of this experience was the fact that the hotel gives beer bottles to the drunken patrons, which of course were dropped shattering pieces of glass everywhere. Really Yas Viceroy, glass bottles at a pool??

After the pool fiasco we went to the Noodle Box for dinner where we had a made a reservation earlier. The service here was absolutely pathetic. We waited 15 minutes for menus. Then 20 minutes for our drinks out of which 1 was wrong. Then 45 minutes for our food and lastly 15 minutes for our bill. The food quality was adequate.

If all this was not bad enough, when we went to sleep, the music in the nightclub right underneath us was turned up so incredibly loud. I'm not talking a distant background noise, I am talking full on Studio54. Now I like Kesha as much as the next guy, but not at 1 AM when I am trying to sleep in a 5 star hotel that I have paid lots of money to stay at! I have uploaded a couple of clips of the noise so you can see that I am not exaggerating! When complaining about the noise, we were first told "no problem sir, they will turn it down at 2AM". Really Yas Viceroy?? When telling the staff it was in fact a problem for us, they rudely informed us that we were "repeating ourselves" and they would speak to a Supervisor. Of course nothing was ever done about this, in fact I believe the music was turned up even louder! Now combine the loud music with hundreds of people coming back from the concert in the middle of night having to walk right past our door to building number 2, and you have a recipe for a sleepless night.

Next morning we went to the restaurant for breakfast completely exhausted due to the lack of sleep, and unsurprisingly the service was awful yet again. It took forever to get our coffees. Plates were being stacked up like the Burj Khalifa, yet they were not removed. Same goes at all the other tables.

Now I understand that the hotel was full during our stay and this was also mentioned from the staff when we complained. However full occupancy is not a valid excuse for poor service! Especially at a 5 star Viceroy Hotel! They should know that there will be lots of people, hence they should allocate the proper amount of staff. The loud music at night is just unacceptable.
We are not going to give Yas Viceroy “another opportunity during our next stay at Abu Dhabi". We shall go to the St Regis in the future, they know how to treat their guests.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the second floor in building 1 unless you like being awake all night.
12  Thank KennyBen
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The Yas Viceroy Hotel in Abu Dhabi is an attractive building with a sort of varilighted net above it that changes colours seamlessly located right on the Marina F1 circuit and very close to Ferrari World, the rooms are superb and the choice of restaurants will fulfill any need. The service is very good but not incredible, nice spa and ninth floor pool.
Perfect if you can get some convenient discounted room rate otherwise is very expensive.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear GL68,

Thank you so much for your comments. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Yas Viceroy.

We appreciate the recommendation and hope to see you soon!

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Polite staff on arrival. Large, bright room with wet room and luxury bathroom which was well stocked and well maintained. Restricted view from the windows but that adds to the amazing position on the F1 circuit. Remember if you're visiting on a Tuesday you can walk or cycle around the circuit for free. An amazing experience with lights and loud music! Lovely roof pools with one dedicated to adults only! :-)
Breakfast has a large range as you would expect. It felt crowded when we were there although there was no event scheduled so the service appeared stretched. That's why I've given 4 not 5. Definitely worth a stay as near to other main attractions (Ferrari World, Yas Water-world, Yas beach) and easy taxi rides into the main city, the Mosque and Museum at Saadiyat Island.

Dear fluffbury,

Thank you so much for posting your kind review on TripAdvisor.com.

I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us on your most recent visit to Abu Dhabi.

Thank you for your comments regarding our friendly staff, the hotel facilities and location.

It is also nice to read, that you enjoyed our delicious breakfast buffet and the sporting activity Tuesdays on the race track.

Please keep us in mind on your next trip to Abu Dhabi.

With warm regards,