“Great Weekend”
Review of Yas Island Rotana

Yas Island Rotana
Ranked #48 of 127 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We went to Yas Island for a relaxing Weekend & it was more than that. As we arrived we got out rooms at 2pm as per confirmation. Check in was quick and friendly and you even get a welcome drink which is not normal for UAE Hotels. Nice touch! After our check in we went for Brunch in Choices Restaurant. I have to say this is really great value for money. We paid 198 + taxes which includes all your alcoholic drinks like beer, wine spirits & even sparkling wine as well as Lobster, Sushi, Oysters, Live Cooking stations & Carving Station even they have a separate Kids Buffet which was enjoyed by my daughter. Service is efficient & polite. After Brunch we went to the pool. Even it was quiet hot you have a nice shade in the afternoon which is very convenient not to get burned when you stay to long. We had a few drinks a the pool bar which were excellent. You have to try the Frozen Margarita one of the best I had so far. In the evening we left our kids in the room & they ordered Room Service which was quick & good in quality as well as cost. Me & my wife went to Blue Grill which is one of our favorite places in Abu Dhabi & as always we had a great dinner. Service is great & the quality of food for what you pay is even better. After Blue Grill we went for a night cap in Y-Bar. Y-Bar is one of the trendy places in Abu Dhabi at the moment and it can get quite busy at time, nevertheless the Service is always on the spot. Next morning before our check out we all had Breakfast again in Choices & you have all you can wish for on the Buffet. Coffee service is very attentive and my cup was always full, which is very important to me. When we came down for Check out it was quite busy in the Lobby as it looks like that a lot of guests come to this Hotel to do the same as we did. Even it was busy it didn't take long for Check out. All in all this Hotel is great as you have all the different options within the Hotel which it even could be a Resort. The rooms are fitted nice, our room had a balcony with pool view & the beds are very comfortable. I had a good night sleep. Highly recommend the Hotel & for sure I will be back.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
YasIslandRotana, Manager at Yas Island Rotana, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2012

Dear Guest,

thank you for your review and your kind words about the product, the food and the employees of the hotel. We are glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 7 May 2012

We've stayed in several hotels on Yas Island. We live in Abu Dhabi and like to enjoy the good hotels around us. We made use of the brunch in Choices on Friday before checking into our room. We managed to get a late deal and upgraded to a Club King with access to the Club Lounge on the 10th Floor. Our room was located on the 7th Floor. As we were travelling with children we contacted the hotel before booking to see if there were any age or time restrictions in children accessing the lounge and was told no. Yet on arriving in the lounge at 6pm for evening snacks and drinks were told children were not permitted. The pools and surrounding areas are taken up by day users of the hotel and its facilities including those spilling out of the Friday brunch. As hotel guests we struggled to find a spare sun bed or two, Both the water in the kids pool and the main pool was cold. Fast food wrappers and plates were floating in the water of the kids pool from unattended trays and tables around the pool. We left after breakfast. Disappointing stay. Unlikely to return.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
YasIslandRotana, Manager at Yas Island Rotana, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2012

Dear Guest,

we thank you for your review and appreciate your valuable feedback. All your points have been taken under consideration and please let me know directly should we be of any further assistance. Furthermore, I sincerely hope that we would have the opportunity to welcoming you again in our hotel.

Reviewed 4 May 2012

I would agree to some of the check-in / staff issues raised by earlier reviewers- faced some delay myself, despite having specifically requested for an early check-in (12:30) at the time of booking and repeated follow ups afterwards as well. The room was not ready, the lady at the reception was on a complete no-nonsense mode there was some salsa event going on and the access to the pool was restricted. The only option was to sit in the lobby and wait.
BUT everything was sorted out within 5 mins when I complained to the Manager on duty. She went out of her way to sort everything out- the room was provided, a cake sent to our room and the pool access was sorted. Afterwards, she also came up to us a number of times to recheck if everything else is fine.
In terms of the hotel, the location is perfect for formula 1- its new and clean but is a relatively small property- there is not much to do in here except for a pool which is kind of small as well. The only thing outdoors is the same pool which gives a feeling like a backyard pool. The rooms and bathrooms are modern, new and clean, however, not the best in the vicinity. I have stayed in even better ones (in some of the surrounding properties nearby). The breakfast at Choices was just Ok and dinner buffet over there was simply bad. Y-Bar is a trendy place to hangout for a while.
We tried the spa's from Bodylines and that was a complete bliss.Totally amazing.
All in all- It is a good place at the price which they are on (room costs lower than the surrounding properties) plus conveniently located for Ferrari World/formula 1. We managed to find a deal so it worked out even better for us. Otherwise maybe other surrounding hotels are better. Would we come back? - Probably not - we did not find anything special to come back for. We will probably try something else.

Room Tip: Go for the poolside view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SahTripper
YasIslandRotana, Manager at Yas Island Rotana, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Dear Guest,

we thank you for your review and appreciate your valuable feedback and all your points have been addressed and taken under serious consideration. Please let me know directly should we be of any further assistance. Furthermore, I sincerely hope that we would have the opportunity to welcoming you again in our hotel.

Reviewed 30 April 2012

Comfortable Rooms, laid out well and modern. Loved the glass panels from shower into main space.
When I was originally planning my trip, I thought the hotel website said there was only WiFi in the common areas, but my room did have it much to my surprise. Tons of drawer and desk space - made it perfect for getting in some computer time.

I was on the 6th floor facing the pool and Yas Circuit. I didnt hear too much outside noise other than the planes coming in for landings. I did hear the F1 cars one night, but I am interested in them so I was excited about that.

The staff was great, and always willing to help. I had some problems figuring out my lights / electricity a couple of times (my fault both times) and the staff was great and always happy to help

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
YasIslandRotana, Manager at Yas Island Rotana, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2012

Dear Guest,

thank you for your review and your kind words about the product and the employees of the hotel. We look forward welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 30 April 2012

I usually stay in "downtown" Abu Dhabi, but this time decided to try Yas Island. It is more convenient to where I was working, closer to the airport (and to Dubai, for that matter), and has a good selection of hotels. I chose the Rotana based on recommendations from colleagues and previous good experience with the Rotana group. I wasn't disappointed and can definitely recommend this hotel if you're staying in Abu Dhabi and don't have a pressing need to be downtown.

The service was very good, the food at the restaurants (I tried all three of them) was also very good, with a great wine list also in the steakhouse. The buffet restaurant was very impressive with a good selection and variety to keep me interested during my week-long stay. The room was very good, with everything needed. The only minor issue was the doors to the balcony which appear to have a "known" design problem and are difficult to close once opened. Lesson learnt; don't open them! Balcony rooms do overlook the pool and probably have a nicer view.

Yas Island itself is a work-in-progress, but at the hotel you are close to the F1 circuit, the marina, Ferrari World and more (even the new Abu Dhabi Ikea if a little shopping is on your agenda).

Room Tip: Balcony rooms have a nicer view, but beware of the the doors
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

thank you for your review and your kind words about the product and the food and beverage selection. We look forward welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 26 April 2012

I chose this hotel on the back of some postive reviews and felt compelled to add my own. Overall this hotel was very, very good and offered tremendous value for money. I travelled alone with a 6 month baby and was a little anxious my stay would go smoothly - it did!
Service was efficient and very friendly, food (I ordered room service twice) was delicious and beautifully presented. The room was spacious and spotlessly clean, with a large bathroom and comfortable seating area. The bed was also really comfortable - I am used to not sleeping well in hotels because I'm a bad sleeper and hate 'hotel' mattresses, but this was one of the most comfy ones I come across.
Other than outside noise, there was no noise whatsoever from either the corridor or the surrounding rooms. I was especially pleased with problem-solving: when the inital room I was offered turned out to have been smoked in (although it was a non-smoking room), when I contacted reception I was given a replacment immediately without quibble or delay.
Cons: I could hear some noise from the F1 track outside but not enough to be an issue and I had ear plugs so it realy wasn't a problem. Can't comment on the restaurants or pool as I didn't use them, but overall I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank 541munnar
YasIslandRotana, Manager at Yas Island Rotana, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Dear Guest,

thank you for your review and your kind words about the product, the food and the employees of the hotel. We look forward welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Comfortable Rooms, actually nicely laid out rooms. Good Bathroom, good WiFi, plenty of drawers & bench/desk top space, comfortable bed.
Breakfast had a good selection, 2 other specialty restaurants, and the generic restaurant, plus the Y Bar suggest there is enough choice.
In general, was very convenient for where I needed to work, and provided all the connectivity & work space I needed. The staff were very responsive.

Room Tip: I had a room facing the pool & the F-1 track, was good ... I don't know about the other room...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business