“Disappointing Attitude...”
Review of Yas Island Rotana

Yas Island Rotana
Ranked #47 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I have just come back from Abu Dhabi and stayed at the Yas Island Rotana hotel. Big mistake. If you have brown skin, do not even consider staying there. I am British Indian and was born in the UK - and have never experienced the level of racism and discrimination that I did whilst staying at this hotel.
My husband and I arrived and were not greeted as “appropriately” as the hotel’s “fairer” skinned guests were. I had been seated next to the refreshments’ table whilst my husband checked in, and I was waiting for 15 minutes – with no offer of any refreshments` after a 7 hour flight - but the second the hotel’s “most valued” and “fair skinned” guests walked through the door, the hotel hostess pounced on them wearing a big smile and thrusting the refreshments into their hands, whilst they continued to ignore me.

The second day by the pool, I ordered a bottle of mineral water and had to wait 30 minutes before receiving my order (and after I had complained) – as the hotel barman was too busy serving 2 fairer skinned guests their pints of beer (even though they had ordered after me). Luckily the Bar Manager took my complaint seriously - but these are just 2 examples.

Rotana is a good hotel, but next time I will not be staying in such a prejudiced and backwards environment. I work hard and wanted a good a holiday, I genuinely feel hurt and upset by the hotel’s lack of respect for its brown skinned, Indian looking guests, and general attitude. One does not know whether this behaviour is as a result of hotel education in the Middle East, or whether the individuals simply do not consider brown skinned people to be important enough.

Nevertheless, next time I will be sticking with chain hotels originating from the western world where such education is, hopefully, not part of standard operating procedures.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NPv2
YasIslandRotana, Manager at Yas Island Rotana, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear NPv2,

Thank you very much for your feedback, and please accept my sincere apologies if you felt racially discriminated; this is completely unacceptable and goes against all the principles that we follow as a company.

We have conducted an investigation to understand how this could have occured. I respectfully doubt there was any intended discrimination, since more than 60% of the colleagues are natively from the Indian Subcontinent, and with Indian travellers being in the Top 5 nationalities visiting our hotels on a yearly basis.

I truly believe that what occurred with you was a series of unfortunate events. For example, I have spoken with the Lobby Hostess Belinda, who is of Kenyan origin. She recalls the incident and she had misread your body language; you had given her the impression that you did not want to be served or spoken to at that particular time. We shall, however, conduct the necessary re-training to the team to avoid such misunderstandings in the future.

We all sincerely hope that you and your husband will have another chance to visit our hotel, please let me know and I will be happy to arrange.

There are newer reviews for Yas Island Rotana

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Stayed here while visiting family in Abu Dhabi. Had a great stay from the moment we arrived (at 2 in the morning!) until we left. Stayed in a standard room that was great - large bathroom with toiletries replaced every day (we've stayed in plenty of hotels where that doesn't happen), tea & coffee in the room & free bottles of water every day. Didn't hear a sound from the other rooms. All the staff we met were friendly, helpful and polite, couldn't do enough for us. Huge choice at breakfast buffet and the same for lunch in Choices restaurant and the food was amazing. There are two other restaurants and the Y Bar at the hotel. There are also other hotels within walking distance so a good choice of restaurants and bars in the area. Everything was spotless including the pool area. Free bus stops near the hotel which drops you off at Ferrari World and the waterpark. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ZweiDrifters
YasIslandRotana, Manager at Yas Island Rotana, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

Dear ZweiDrifters,

On behalf of the entire team at Yas Island Rotana, thank you very much for choosing to stay at our hotel and for giving us your fantastic feedback.

We are pleased to know that we met all of your expectations and were able to make you feel comfortable and satisfied with us. Your comments about the room, the service, and the food and beverage selection at the hotel are much appreciated and will be shared with the team.

Our only wish is that you will take the opportunity to visit us on your next visit to Abu Dhabi, please let us know and we will be happy to make arrangements for you. Abu Dhabi's attractions are increasing by the day, and the Guest Services team will be pleased to make your next visit a memorable one.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Stayed here while in Abu Dhabi visting our son and daughter -in- law ,service was the best we have ever had nothing was to much trouble for any member of staff.Bunch on Thursday was unbelievable just sooo much to choose from and all the drink one could wish for.Bedrooms are lovely with a king sized bed , sitting area, flat screen televison and tea, coffee and water suppled.Wi-fi was free and we found it worked well in the rooms. Outside pool was very clean and the snacks at the pool were lovely with a short waiting time. I definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Maureen02811,

I'd like to express my sincerest appreciation for choosing our hotel during your short visit to Abu Dhabi. We are all thrilled to know that you enjoyed the service, the food, and the facilities we offer at the hotel and the fact that we were able to help in creating memorable moments for your and your family.

Your feedback is very valuable to us, I will be sure to recognize my colleagues for the excellent service.

Thanks very much for the recommendation, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Abu Dhabi in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 10 November 2013

I would recommend this hotel and only wish I would have been able to stay longer to enjoy the experience of the hotel. From the moment we arrived in the taxi we were greeted and all services were great. Fantastic customer service. Breakfast fantastic! (I would go back just for that!!). It is on Yas Island which is close to everything and a great outdoor pool.
Internet was a little slow and had a few problems trying to get it going. My only other minor criticism of the hotel is the after hours menu. There is alot of light choices. I only mention this, because we arrived very late at night and the meals offered were quite heavy. We only wanted something lite to eat before we went to bed. Apart from that, I couldnt fault the place.
I would definitely come back to this hotel and I recommend it for all types of travellers.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Simone N

Dear Simone N,

We are very thankful for choosing our hotel for your very short trip to Abu Dhabi and for sharing your feedback with us.

It is great to know that you and your family felt welcome and that you could make use of some of our recreational areas. We are also very pleased as we receive regularly great feedback about our buffet as you have kindly commented about the breakfast.

We have noted your point of view about the menus and we will look into ways to diversify the offer; thanks very much for the constructive feedback.

Our only wish is that you and your family will have another chance to visit us at Yas Island, so you can discover more of our facilities and indeed the attractions the island has to offer.

Thanks once again and best wishes,

Reviewed 9 November 2013

Yas Island is a little far from downtown, but has plenty to offer on its own. I stayed while they were allowing the public to run or ride bicycles on the F1 Marina Circuit. Very Fun! The hotel staff is top notch, remembered my name and hotel room after 6 days, and there are a decent selection of restaurants in and around the hotel. The hotel rooms are very comfortable, clean, and modern.

Room Tip: The rooms with the plaza view
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank peter p

Dear peter p,

On behalf of the entire team at Yas Island Rotana, thank you very much for choosing our hotel and for sharing your experiences on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to hear that the team was able to assist you with all your requirements and that you had the chance to discover some of our restaurants. It is great to know that you had the chance to participate to in the "Train Yas" event which takes place once a week. You will quickly find there are several possibilities on Yas Island to have a good time, so we hope you will have the chance to come again soon.

Your comments will be shared with the team, thanks very much once again and hope that we will remain in touch.

Best regards,

Reviewed 9 November 2013

After staying at the Rotana 'The Cove' in RAK where we had a marvelous time,
We wanted to stick with Rotana for our Abu Dhabi visit.
And without any regrets…
Great breakfast and dinner buffet. (didn't do lunch so )
Nice rooms and clean ! Nice staff and helpful!
Faciliteis are all there / free internet (+)

Maybe one downside distance to Abu Dhabi city centre. But just opposite the Yas Island Race track and close to Ferrari world

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WeErLN

Dear WeErLN,

Thank you very much for choosing the Yas Island Rotana for your Abu Dhabi visit, and for your continuous support for Rotana Hotels.

Your feedback about the hotel's service and facilities are very much appreciated and its great to know that they met and exceeded your expectations. We are especially proud of our service and culinary teams, and I will be sure to pass on your comments.

We sincerely hope that you will have the chance to visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

We are currently staying at the Yas Island Rotana for the Formula 1 and could not be more impressed.

The hotel is spotlessly clean, and the staff are polite and attentive and couldn't do more to help. We even arrived back from a day at the circuit yesterday to find a complimentary fruit bowl, chocolate and F1 themed gifts in our room. Such a lovely surprise!

Location wise the hotel is perfectly located for the F1 track, which we havefragrant view of from our room and is only a short walk or even shorter taxi ride away. There are also a number of other attractions on Yas Island so there would be plenty to do, the only downside being that you are not near Abu Dhabi's centre, however since we are not here for that it really isn't a problem for us.

The food at breakfast has been delcious and there is a varied selection to choose from, however unlike some other hotels in the UAE they keep with local tradition and don't serve pork so bacon and sausages are off (unless you take to liking the 'turkey bacon' and 'chicken sausages' they do have on offer instead!). Again this isn't a major problem and not something to put me off the hotel, however if a pork based breakfast makes or breaks your holiday it could be an issue for you!

Overall a great hotel, great location if you're here for the F1, and brilliant staff. Thanks Yas Island Rotana for our lovely stay!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank TotesPatrish
YasIslandRotana, Manager at Yas Island Rotana, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Dear TotesPatrish,

On behalf of the entire team, thank you very much for choosing the Yas Island Rotana, it is great to know we were able to share the excitement and glamour of the F1 weekend.

We are happy to know as well that you were able to discover Yas Island and all the attractions. With regards to the hotel's proximity to downtown Abu Dhabi, we have shuttle buses several times a day to take our guests to the city.

We sincerely hope that you will be able to visit Yas Island, please let me know and I will be happy to assist in making arrangements for you.

Kind regards,