“Frustrating Experience”

Aloft Abu Dhabi
Ranked #47 of 127 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
“Frustrating Experience”
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Just stayed there on Friday. We found that the majority of the staff did not know much about anything other than the standard information. When trying to check in with a deal from the SPG website, we got to the desk and no one knew anything about it or how it worked. It took 40 minutes for me and my family to check in. Pretty embarassing having the staff treat us like we did not know what we were doing when in fact, it was their issue.

Other issues:
We were supposed to get an FandB credit. We did not get it and it took me 35 minutes and showing them my confirmation email before we were able to check out. Even though the confirmed it at check in.

We were supposed to get free breakfast, but we were charged and the server argued with us in front of other diners. Even though I confirmed this at check in.

We took our kids so we could relax at the pool. It was closed for a private function.

We decided to go to the outdoor roof top lounge to let our kids watch the sunset and for my wife and I to have a drink. It was closed because the needed to staff the private function at the pool.

None of this was on their website or the SPG website or mentioned when we called to book.

We were billed incorrectly for drinks and when we pointed it out, we were told that it was our fault as we were not paying attention when we ordered.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
RayWei, Director of Operation at Aloft Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 30 September 2012
Dear RobuDhabi, thank you for taking the time to bring your experience in our hotel to our attention through Trip Advisor. As this review is posted with a pseudo name it took us a while but we have finally been able to identify your reservation in order to investigate the occurrences of your stay. We will be getting in contact directly with you however in the meanwhile I would like to offer you a brief clarification of the inconveniences experienced. It is very regrettable that the staff you interacted with was not aware of the package so please accept our sincere apologies for this breakdown in communication. Usually a special code is applied to bookings coming on packages so that guests are identified in all food & beberage venues and reception. I am sorry that this was not carried out for your booking due to internal errors. With regards to the event you mention during that particular weekend, this belongs to a series of eight events carried out during the year and they are all advertised and announced on all Starwood but also external websites. As this involves the swimming pool we are informing all bookings passing through these dates about the speical opening times on these days. We have been doing this since the beginning of the year. This can be found on the confirmation letter and also under the special condition link on our web site . We regret the situation at the restaurant with the breakfast charges. I believe that at the end the breakfast was not charged, however the booking was indeed on room only basis with a credit of aed110 which was applied for other food & beverage charges. We do apologies once again for the confusion with the drinks bill. Dear RobuDhabi, it does upset me that we were not able to meet your expectations on this occasion, specially because the frustration is almost completely based and a result of the awareness of the package you booked. I trust our property, our products, our service, our concept and quality of food were of your satisfaction. I am aware that as a small gesture of our apologies a complimentary late check-out was offered so that you could enjoy the pool with the family as long as possible.
As written we will contact you directly as we wish and we are sure we can regain your confidence in our hotel and show you what the Aloft Abu Dhabi really stands for. Thank you again and best wishes! Rainer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed 12 September 2012

No nonsense hotel, with a light and modern interior. The twin bed rooms are spacious enough to accomodate a family with two kids. Big shower, again useful when travelling with young kids. Wonderful loungy pool area, great roof top bar. We enjoy it every time we go there, and we go quite often.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
RayWei, Director of Operations at Aloft Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 11 October 2012
Hi there Guy_AD_911, great to have you here so often! Thank you for the full score, we are delighted to be the second home of you and your family and it is fantastic to read that all four of you feel comfortable in our twin bedded rooms with our oversized shower cabins. So, your favorite destination, with your favorite lounge pool and roof top bar is awaiting you again. On behalf of the whole Aloft Abu Dhabi team, I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Best wishes! Rainer
Belgium
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We arrived on a late flight from our homeland, had our car parked long term in the hotel's parking and have enjoyed this hotel as a small haven before driving all the way to our home in Ruwais. The first room offered smelled like smoking, though we ordered a non smoking room, but this was taken care of efficiently and rapidly.
The breakfast was really nice (although they forgot my coffee) There was some confusion about the price we had to pay and it looked like it was not registered that we paid the parking upfront. So I would advise to improve internal communication a bit. But overall we were very happy and satisfied with our stay at Aloft!

Room Tip: There is some construction going on around the hotel which causes some noise.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
RayWei, Director of Operations at Aloft Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 8 September 2012
Hey Ann1008, thanks a lot for your review and for choosing the long term parking package at our hotel. Sorry about the confusion with the room type but I am glad this was solved immediately as same as the miscommunication with the parking rate. I am delighted to read that despite these two small mishaps you enjoyed your stay with us and the whole team looks forward to welcoming you very soon again to Aloft Abu Dhabi. Please let me know when you are driving from Ruwais down this way, it will be a pleasure to meet you. Best wishes! Rainer
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We chose this hotel because in Abu Dhabi you either need a car or plan to use a lot of the (admittedly very cheap) cabs because everywhere is so far away in this car-driven city and, therefore, location wasn't an issue. It is part of the huge Abu Dhabi Convention Centre and is, in fact, a bit dwarfed by it - we arrived at midnight and were droped off by cab at he front door. There was nothing to indicate tha hotel reception was one floor up and we walked an empty Convention Centre for a time dragging suitcases and lookin for anyone! The room was large as was the bathroom and the bed was very comfortable. You know you are miles from any other conveniences when you see the buffet breakfast prices. The food is excellent and very, very plentiful but you are a 'captive audience' once you are at this hotel so eat up big at breakfast!

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Hello Bloke48, I appreciate you taking the time to leave a note for fellow travelers of your experience at Aloft Abu Dhabi. Great to learn that you enjoyed our wide rooms and it's bathroom and had good night sleep in our very comfy beds. I am however sorry to hear that your arrival at the hotel led to some confusion given the reception is on the first floor, but I am delighted to let you know that works to renovate this area will start this month which will improve and clearly show our guests the way to the lobby. The price of our buffet is actually below the average of Abu Dhabi hotels in our category, but it’s good to hear you felt the overall standard was excellent and plentiful. Once again thanks for your review, and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel very soon. Best wishes! Rainer
Reviewed 18 August 2012

First when we arrived me and my wife we found not welcoming staff in the reception, Indian lady, dressed unprofessional ,have bad body language, when I gave my booking reference by booking.com they said u need to pay extra or this for 2 nights not 3 as shown then when I did not agree, she called somebody And let me wait as if it's rocket science, then she said it's okay with frowning face . I went to my room I was surprised to have construction Site view while I paid extra for breezy view on marina , I went down to her and I asked , she said this is the one, I told her fine give me back my money which I paid extra, she said not possible, so I told her I will not accept, she said okay u can take pool view or tow separate beds on the marina view ,because your room which u booked have defect and also the one inside it not yet checked out, she put me on compromise, so I told her I am willing to wait, or give me back money for downgrading my room. Then she said okay I will see......after I got angry she told me ok sir here is your room ready ,she gave me the right room after long drama full of lies,that was not all, also regarding the parking she did not inform me anything, everytime I have to go out I need to pay, then when I ask her she did not speak more than tow words (give me parking card ) so she stamped it and gave back . So everytime I need to see her to stamp the parking card when I need to go out, once I wanted to go out late, it was luckily after her shift finished at night, one other philipino receptionist told me sir no need just keep this card without and use it everyone u need to exit. It means that lady for 2 days she was only letting me suffer as if she hated her work and life, this is my third day there, I don't know what surprises might happened, thank god they don't have my credit card details as I booked with booking.com. But I am sure who ever gave good feed back could be part of afoft business because I saw all people how they are suffering not only me and if somebody is kind and polite they will let him check in public toilet maybe.

Room Tip: Be strong and fight, or better find other hotel which is better price. But bigger rooms is better.
Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank wes w
Dear Wes W, thank you for taking the time to open an account in Trip Advisor to specially post this review. I also appreciate your patience in receiving this response as thorough investigation and actions had to be taken to understand who exactly was the member of staff in question. We were very upset to learn about your frustrations with this particular member of staff, especially considering that one of the strong points that can almost always be noticed in our reviews is the positive attitude and friendliness of our staff. As far as we are concerned the described attitude of an Aloft Abu Dhabi member of staff to a guest will not be tolerated. We guide and facilitate the necessary trainings to ensure the customer is taken care of in a most professional but also in an extremely friendly and warm manner. We realized that the member of staff in question was no longer working for Aloft Abu Dhabi when your review was received hence we had no opportunity after finding out to address this individual. Usually very good comments were received from this person however we are uncertain why this deteriorated on the last days of work. I would like to offer you my sincere apologies for this experience. From your review it is clear that your complete frustration and the bad score assigned to us is completely due to your interaction with this individual. Therefore I do hope that you will not judge us solely on the basis of this experience and the whole Aloft Abu Dhabi team trusts that the rest of the service and product aspects were to your full satisfactions. I will contact you directly as I would like to discuss further and personally with you the ways we know will win your trust back in Aloft Abu Dhabi. We look forward to welcoming you again and showing you what the extreme friendly attitude of our staff is usually well known for. Best wishes! Rainer
Reviewed 14 August 2012

my experience with that hotel is bad if it is not the worst
I was going to a long trip so I needed sometime to relax and sleep
I did booking thought expedia website for a splash room with a view to a swimming pool I thought it will be nice to relax there - I did check in at 1pm and the lady at the reception give me the room key at the 10th floor and there was no view at all its just at the back of the hotel and no swimming pool view at all so I had to go down to ask the same lady to change the room for me telling her I asked for a splash room with a pool view she said this is splash room but I will try to change it so they give another room at the 9th floor 903 with a good view this time
later on I felt hungry so I called the room service and the one on the line is hardly speaking English - within 10 minutes they bring the food and he asked me to sign the bill and there is funny something called food tray charge "TRAY !!!!! what the!!!!! " no problem for me so far -

I want later on to go down to buy some stuff before my trip I give the card to the concirage to pick up the card he just said 50 dreams - excuse me 50 dreams for what Iam a guest here I show him the room key he said no you need to stamp the card so I have to go up again and stamp it at the reception when I go down the car was ready but so hot because they park it in the sun where there Is no protection of the sun- then at midnight - I am going out to my trip doing check out - there is one guy at the reception with 4 guests at a funny line waiting for their turn - no problem maybe it's a dead time finally he called some one to help him I sign my bill and checked out I stamp the car parking ticket so I don't have to go up again , went down and again at the concirage which is only one person I see don't know what to do trying to help 4 or 5 parking car so he said Iam busy sorry and give me the car keys telling me the car is in the 3rd row just take it and I will open the gate for you--- the funny thing is what follows next day I received an email telling they are trying to refund extra money the take from my credit card so far it's maybe usual but receiving a call on 12:01 afternoon telling me what time I will do check out OMG that's crazy I checked out already 12 hours ago and as if it's not enough they deducted twice the money they want to give me heart attack telling that Iam still in the room - what is this is it a joke or a work of amateur even in a summer camp this will not happen so the experience with this hotel is a disaster really- please look for another hotel I didn't like what happened at all or that charge of the food tray so it's 0 or 1 out of 10

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank sammohi
RayWei, Director of Operations at Aloft Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 3 September 2012
Dear Sammohi, we regret you had to spend your time expressing the inconveniences experienced during your recent stay with us and that you specially created a Trip Advisor account for this. Nevertheless we are thankful that you had this moment as any constructive feedback will help us to know the areas where our usual high level of service has slipped and therefore improvement focus is needed. It is very however disappointing for us to learn that we failed to meet your expectations since we work hard to keep the highest levels of satisfactions and I am sure you will agree that most of the testimonies, for example also in Trip Advisor, demonstrate this.
Although it is unfortunate that the view in your first room was not as expected I am happy to learn that this issue was resolved to your satisfaction and you were happy with room 903. The tray charge you refer to when you ordered room service is the flat fee of AED 4.00 (1.09 USD) we apply to all orders for delivery from the re:fuel grab and go outlet. As the prices at this take away outlet are exactly the same as in room service menu, a small delivery charge applies. This is what other hotels would show as delivery or service charge on their bills.
Further to the misunderstanding with the valet parking ticket, I am sorry if this was not clearly explained to you. It is actually visibly advertised on a big signage at the driveway and also on the valet parking ticket, that valet parking is free of charge for hotel guests only and therefore these are kindly requested to get a control stamp from reception to benefit from this. Further to this, indeed the only immediate area provided by the exhibition centre to give a quick valet service is outdoor and I can understand that it takes two or three minutes to cool down the car due to the high temperatures at this time of the year. Alternatively we also provide free of charge self car park in a covered multi story car park. Of course the fact that the valet parking staff member has asked you to take your car by yourself is unacceptable and therefore we have already addressed this with the valet company which has replaced the concerned team members to avoid this from ever happening again.
In order to understand the error with regards to overcharging you, and the phone call you received to verify your checkout date, I reviewed the details of your reservation. I believe the issue was related to your early checkout (to catch your flight) which we had not been aware of in advance.
I understand from your review that your full dissatisfaction is based on the view of the first room, the tray charge, the valet parking and the billing issue due to the early check-out; may I sincerely apologize for these four inconveniences. I do hope that on the other hand you were happy with our product, service, design and general concept. I am confident to say that by correcting these mentioned points we will be able to turn the view you have of us by 180° and show you what the excellence of Aloft Abu Dhabi really stands for. I would be delighted to welcome you back and together with my team be able to impress you with a certain change of your stay experience.
Please do contact me personally when your plans bring you back to Abu Dhabi as I would personally make the necessary arrangements for your stay. Best wishes! Rainer
Cork, Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 23 July 2012

stripped back hotel. Great value, clean and efficent. Best for buisness or friends. lovely pool area.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
RayWei, Director of Operations at Aloft Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 27 July 2012
Dear John K, thank you for the brief but flatteing review. Happy to know you loved our facitilities and enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you back soon. Best wishes! Rainer