“Relaxed & Funky”
Review of Aloft Abu Dhabi

Aloft Abu Dhabi
Ranked #52 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 9 October 2010

Second time that I stayed here, enjoyed it both times. First time, hotel was almost empty, second night full of people with concert nearby. Both times, staff very friendly. Very cosy swimming pool, and nice lounge with view over part of Abu Dhabi at top floor. All very relaxed, compared to usual stiff/chic hotels in the UAE. 10 min drive out of city center.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Peter D
RayWei, Director of Operations at Aloft Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2010

Hi Peter! Appreciate your time to post this great review! Very happy to read that you recognize our consistency in delivering our promise both on quiet and busy times. As you mention, our concept is quite different from the traditional and just like you, today's customers prefer a relaxed, informal and friendly atmosphere giving great value for money and delivering top quality service. It's nice that you mention our good location being only a 10 minutes away from downtown and also fantastic to see that you enjoyed our extraordinary pool and our sleek roof top lounge bar! So! we hope there will also be a third, fourth and many more stays! See you soon, best wishes! Rainer

Write a ReviewReviews (1,008)

Reviewed 7 October 2010

I stayyed in Aloft Abu Dhabi for 5 nights. he hotel was very nice, classic, and quiet, the staff members are friendly and helpfull ... I liked it

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business

Hi there! Thank you so much for your review, so glad that you enjoyed your five night stay with us! Would be great to see you back soon! Best wishes, Rainer

Reviewed 7 October 2010

Excellent service, first class care of guests and true value for money. This hotel has a fun welcome matched by top quality service and care. They meet their promise of making you feel very welcome and valued.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business

Aloha from Aloft Abu Dhabi Colin! With a couple of words you have described and summarized what Aloft is all about. I am delighted that we met our objective of providing top quality service without leaving behind our fun, fresh and friendly style. I hope we can continue being your preferred destination in Abu Dhabi and the whole team is looking forward to welcome you very soon!! Best wishes, Rainer

Reviewed 5 October 2010

I stayed 5 days ago on the 11th floor and from the moment i checked in, there was a heavy sewage smell in the room.

When we called the reception, they sent maintenance staff to check the room and they informed us that becuase the 11th floor was not used frequently, the rooms were smelling bad.

This was a horrifying experience as the hotel was fully booked and not a single apology was made by the management or the staff members.

However the product was really good and the staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
RayWei, Director of Operations at Aloft Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2010

Dear TravelSens, I am upset to read that you were inconvenienced by the unpleasant odors in the 11th floor. Indeed we faced technical issues which we were not immediately able to solve so may I sincerely apologize for this experience in our hotel. I understand that our Director of Rooms has contacted you directly and in some way rectified this issue.
On the other hand I am delighted to read that in general terms you enjoyed our hotel and the experience with our friendly staff was pleasing.
I want to take the chance to thank you for dropping some lines in Trip Advisor. Please do not hesitate to contact me if your plans take you back to the Aloft Abu Dhabi, my team and myself will make every effort to make sure your stay is a pleasure.
Best wishes, Rainer

Reviewed 4 October 2010

I paid my Dh850 ($200) for the best suite they have then when I went upstairs it was smaller than your average room (not suite) at any 4 or 5 star hotel. I wasn't impressed. Internet is very slow. Service is at a three star level. No mini-bar. No one answers when you press '0' for the operator. The scale they provide you doesn't work. They have no right marketing their little rooms as suites. Their suites are small. You can't open a window in the room and you can hear your neighbors. No value for money. No 24 hour room service. After 12 you have to go down to the lobby to the cafeteria if you want to eat. Don't stay here unless you have to be next to the exhibition center. The bathrooms are great but the bidets are sub-standard.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Essam99
RayWei, Director of Operations at Aloft Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2010

Dear Essam99, thanks for your review. I am sorry you were not satisfied with the size of the suites. The price of our suites is actually below the average of Abu Dhabi market due to the fact that they are demi-suites. They do not have a separate living room but a nice and comfortable sitting area in the room. However with size of 42 to 45 sqm they are above the standard size of rooms in the city. We have actually just started offering suites with separate living rooms. In total 84 sqm. Our normal rooms have an average of 38 sqm, actually also above market standard and this can be noticed from other positive reviews in Trip Advisor.
We offer free internet with the possibility of enhancing the speed for a nominal fee. In case of heavy downloads the free internet might not be sufficient to cover this, but it is certainly appropriate for usual surfing in the web.
We offer fridges in the rooms as there is a big demand from guests to be able to fill it up with own drinks and food. However if requested we fill up the fridge with our variety of drinks and the fridge becomes Minibar.
I do apologize that no one picked-up the phone when trying to contact the operator. We are investigating this seriously and we understand how important is to get in touch with operator. Sorry to hear that the scale did not work. To be honest it is not simple to turn on this digital scale and in case this is not the reason, most probably batteries were low.
Windows cannot be open as these are special sound proof to avoid disturbance from outside. With regards to room service we actually do have a room delivery concept 24 hours including a night menu, my sincere apologies if you were not informed about this.
Essam99, please give me a call so that I can welcome you back soon and offer you the suite with the separate living room. I am sure you will like it. I will also be delighted to show you that all issues mentioned are solved.
Look forward to meeting you soon! Best wishes, Rainer

Reviewed 3 October 2010

Others have covered the key issues relating to this hotel so I won't repeat.

I had a rental car. It is very difficult to find your way in. One wrong turn and you will find yourself making a detour of a minimum of 3 miles on Mustaffah or 1.5 miles around the back involving complex U turns. One sign post to the hotel about a mile away indicates a U Turn that simply does not exist unless you turn in to oncoming traffic on a 5 lane freeway!

The accommodation is comfortable and reasonably priced. But during my stay they had all the ventilation system out on the 4th floor. Everywhere you went you bumped in to snagging teams. They put the ventilation back and for the next two days the a/c in my room pumped the smell of effluent in.

Some of the finishing and the cleanliness in the room I had left a lot to be desired. Poor finishing and chips in the furniture were already quite apparent.

The elevators have no floor number signs that you can see on the walls on each floor, and they make no sound when they stop at the floors so no one knows that an elevator is available. Further if you press the floor number twice it cancels the instruction. You can find yourself on an unplanned ride as someone else calls the elevator you are in. WEIRD.

The free internet system is also badly flawed. I obviously challenged it too much by having two laptops and a phone. You are only allowed two concurrent log ins. Fine - but infuriating when you get refused access on any of them because "you can only have two concurrent log ins" when you don't have any connections at all. The staff's ability to deal with this issue was less than good. One evening in the middle of an important business chat I got cut off on all connections. I was told that I had to wait an hour whilst the existing connections (SIC) expired. Staff attitude was not good and I had to be quite forceful to get reconnected immediately. Management needs to ensure staff deal with niggles caused by something as simple as a software oversight - the staff should not be arguing with guests - especially when I have been made to bring down two laptops to the front desk to prove the problem!!

Would I stay again? Yes - it will improve. They were working on it. In four years time when all the building work on what is effectively a whole new district is complete it will be a very exciting location - but the hotel will almost certainly be due for a refurb then.

1  Thank carbine

Dear Carbine, firstly a big thank you for taking the time to post such a long review. I am glad you found the accommodation comfortable. It is disappointing though to read that you experienced a series of inconveniences which are out of the usual day to day of our Hotel (and Abu Dhabi). The u-turn you mention where our signage normally clearly and easily guides you to the hotel has just been closed for road works, regrettably without our knowledge. After asking the authorities, we have been informed that the works will be completed next week, unfortunately we are not allowed to fix other detour signage as they have done this now.
Indeed we were carrying out a bi-yearly deep A/C duct cleaning which needs to be done in this country due to dust and sand in the air. In the interest of our customers, Aloft hotels do have a very strict policy in keeping air quality to its highest standards. I do regret you were inconvenienced by the workers and the smell of the cleaning chemicals. Needless to say it is not our standard to give our guests reasons to comment about the cleaning or maintenance of the rooms. Sorry to learn this, I have already addressed it with our housekeeping leaders to ensure that our regular cleanliness quality is maintained in all rooms. Also our engineering department is completing repairs of details in all rooms and these finishing defects you observed will be fixed.
I am also concerned to learn about the issues with the elevators. I assume from what I read that there were some technical issues. All of our elevators have a digital display inside showing exactly on what floor you are. In addition to this, all elevator doors from the outside have the same display so guests can always see which of the five elevators is arriving first. They all have a sound to alert which one has arrived to the floor.
And again, I can understand how upsetting it is when experiencing difficulties with the Internet connection. We did face some technical issues that evening which were solved during the night. Our free internet service does offer only one login per room, however we also offer the possibility to connect to the enhanced internet, for a nominal fee. I agree with you the assistance provided was inappropriate and this should never happen.
In an effort to redress this whole situation due to an accumulation of unusual inconveniences, I would be delighted to contact you personally to offer you special conditions when returning to our hotel. I certainly hope that we can welcome you back soon, so that we can show you the difference to your first stay and the normal levels of high tech and service standards Aloft Abu Dhabi is already known for.
Thank you for helping us with your feedback and hope to see you soon. Best wishes! Rainer

Reviewed 27 September 2010

Stayed 1 night at this hotel, after landing at Abu-Dhabi airport. The location seems to be ideal when there is something going on at the Abu-Dhabi Exhibition Centre. Its directly connected to that centre.

I would not recommend this hotel for 'leisure visitors', cause its too remote and there is absolutely NOTHING to do / see in that area (unless you have a car).

The hotel is modern and 'cool'... maybe too cool ! Because I arrived quite late, the restaurant 'Dine' (offering a buffer) was just closed. As alternative, I was recommended to visit the 'Refuel' (kind of take-away next to the reception area). The food there is (very) limited and not my style (heated pastries under infra red lamps etc.)... but other people might like this.

The room was fairly big with excellent walk-in shower and all aminities one needs / likes. The bed was comfortable, and I had no noice from neighbouring rooms.

The breakfast (included in my rate) was OK: certainly enough choices (fresh fruit, cerials, pancakes, waffles, eggs/omelets freshly prepared... every taste is met.

Since I paid a special / affordable rate, my expectations were 100% met. I would recommend to choose a rate with food included, since this hotel is in such a remote location.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank zurich_man

Hello Zurich Man, I am delighted you took your time for some nice comments on Trip Advisor. Great that you enjoyed our selection of breakfast delights and that you had a comfortable stay in our modern, spacious rooms and also important: the good night sleep in our cozy aloft beds, which are especially designed to eliminate uncomfortable pressure points that cause tossing and turning, it does improve your circulation for a better night’s sleep and it's fantastic that you noticed this.
With regards to the dinner, besides the variety in take away concept you mention, we do offer a menu with fresh cooked items until midnight. This you can enjoy at our wxyz Bar or we can deliver to your room. Since you mentioned the buffet was just closed, the time should have been before 11:00 pm and this menu would have been available. I do apologize if you were not made aware of this.
Further to the comments on the location, I am sure I might sound a little repetitive from other replies, nevertheless I am sure you will find important to know about the convenience of not being directly in the middle of downtown avoiding the usual traffic congestions in the city, and the fact of being just close enough to all major important points like the airport, Yas Island, the Grand Mosque, all major embassies and even downtown is a 15 minute ride.
Once again thank you for your feedback the Aloft Abu Dhabi team is looking forward in welcoming you soon again! Best wishes, Rainer