“Abu Dhabi Do”

Fairmont Bab Al Bahr
Ranked #24 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 31 March 2011

A 5 night stay to celebrate a birthday from 7th - 12th March 2011.

This is an excellent hotel with very professional staff and that can do attitude. The decor is very modern but done with style.

I was impressed with the room which was exactly as advertised on the website. Floor to ceiling windows with an amazing view of the Mosque. Very clean, spacious and modern, it had that quality feel. All those extras you expect from a top notch hotel. TV could have been a little bigger though. The bathroom and rain shower where excellent. Thank you for the tasty chocolate birthday cake and fruit ready when we arrived!.

The Pool Area was where I first noticed the exceptional service. Acknowledgement by smiling staff escort you to your choice of seating. A bucket of ice with bottles of water are soon with you (complimentary). Throughout the day cold towels, Fruit skewers and frozen fruit shots are served to you (also complimentary). If you ask for anything nothing is too much trouble and the task is completed with a genuine willingness to make your stay a most excellent one.

The food is very good. The Buffet "Elements" restaurant which we went quite a few times was a mix of Chinese, Indian, Japanese and Med food. The Sushi was some of best I have ever had!. There are other restaurants such as a steak house which are also very good. There is a souk and the Shangri La Hotel just down the road with other very good food choices if things get repetitive.

The bars in the evening are very quiet but comfortable. Drinks are London prices with a decent choice. Ask for the drinks menu as each bar has different prices. If its not on the menu just ask. We did and there was no problem getting our favourite beverages. Cigar menu pretty good too. Again excellent service. Nothing better than relaxing outside in the Chameleon bar with that view of the Mosque in the evening. Winner.

The reception and concierge are most helpful and organised a few things for us. Join the Fairmont Presidents Club for free Wi Fi and extras.

First time to Abu Dhabi. Hotel standard of service did surprise me it was equal to that of Mauritius which I thought is the best I have encountered. This Fairmont is doing all the right things and I hope it continues. An excellent hotel just out of the hustle of the city but only a cheap taxi ride away from the action. I have already recommended others as a place to get some winter sun that is not as long haul as other places. They are about to book . Lucky peoples...

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank JetSetHarry
Babalbahr, General Manager at Fairmont Bab Al Bahr, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2011

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Bab Al Bahr. We sincerely Thank you for your kind review and appreciate your positive feedback. I will be sure to pass along your great comments to all the departments mentioned. At Fairmont we pride ourselves on delivering excellent service and meeting all the standards required by our guests.
We look forward to having to back in the future.

There are newer reviews for Fairmont Bab Al Bahr

Reviewed 29 March 2011

Several reasons to visit, in my opinion, the best hotel in Abu Dhabi. It's perfect located to avoid the mad traffc, so elegant to meet with partners, clientes or friends, awesome customer attention and service, facilities and relaxing enviroment to rest peacefull,...
I recommend it indeed.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Babalbahr, General Manager at Fairmont Bab Al Bahr, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2011

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on our holel. You choose a word that I myself use to describe this hotel often, "elegant". We are an elegant hotel set in an authentically local Arabic surrounding. We would be delighted to have you back any time.

Henning FRies

Reviewed 26 March 2011

I STRENUOUSLY ADVISE ALL TA READERS TO SHUN THIS DESPICABLE HOTEL.

The good news. Room was spacious and nice. Service was amiable, if sometimes inept. Uninteresting food, though we didn't try their top restaurant. But, picture this ...

We booked one of their top suites for almost $3000/night, for five nights. On our last day, the cleaning staff got cleaning gunk on my wife's Louis Vuitton iPad case. Ruined it. No big deal. But, after spending $15,000 on the room, they question us, like we're trying to pull a fast one on them, over a stupid $400 iPad case, instead of saying, "very sorry, we'll take care of it." In fact, the staff initially said that, but *management* overruled them! In fact, the assistant manager, Arnaud Something, was the one who decided that they would not take any responsibility. They should be ashamed.

Fifteen years ago, I had a similar situation with a briefcase at a Marriott, in a $200 room; no questions asked, they got me a new one. Eight years ago, a housekeeper took my wife's Prada purse. Again, no questions asked, they bought a replacement. This kind of stuff happens from time to time. At the "top" hotel in Abu Dhabi, they treat a top customer like we're crooks, when they ruined our stuff!! Unbelievable.

10  Thank LoveLuxTravel
Babalbahr, General Manager at Fairmont Bab Al Bahr, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2011

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your feedback. We will contact you directly to discuss your concerns further.

Reviewed 26 March 2011

I stayed 3 nights in a Gold room with access to the club lounge. The room was large and very comfortable.

The staff at the Fairmont were absolutely exceptional. Friendly, efficient, nothing ever too much trouble and really committed to making my stay as enjoyable as possible - a combination of informality and efficiency which says a lot about the high standard of Fairmont staff training and motivation.

I so enjoyed eating at the pizza bar in Frankies watching the food being prepared that I went twice. Excellent high quality Italian food.

My only slight disappointment was the Gold Lounge. This is a string of almost separate areas on the top level of the hotel and seemed to lack the buzz I associate with early evenings in the executive lounge at other hotels. The staff were great as was the food and drinks offered but architecturally this seems to be an awkward area.

I will certainly go back to the Fairmont.

1  Thank lindsay_wilcox
Babalbahr, General Manager at Fairmont Bab Al Bahr, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2011

Dear Guest,

I'm very pleased to hear about your recent stay at the hotel. It’s always nice to hear guests’ appreciation. We have an incredible team of staff that deliver outstanding service. We thank you for your insight towards our Gold floor. It is always good to see the things sometimes we we lack or oversee.

Reviewed 24 March 2011

We stayed there as a weekend away from Dubai, taking advantage of a '2 rooms for 1 price' during the summer. Gorgeous hotel. My onlu complaint was the buffet style lunch and dinner they have - they did not have any plain pasta or food for children - everything was curries and sushi. The breakfast was not included and again there was nothing for the kids to eat. I would stay there again if I was travelling on business - but not with the kids. The interconnecting rooms were idyllic though - my kids loved the rain showers. The view across the water to the grand mosque was spectacular.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Ada_Evans
Reviewed 23 March 2011

enjoyed my 3 nights stay in this hotel over the nationl holiday. stayed in a suite. the views are amazing. service and food as well. club level food is tasty. there best asset are the staff. only thing is my kids would have enjoyed a kids club or a play area which they should look into. kids pool is available. would definitly go back

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 March 2011

My husband and I have just returned from a 5 night stay at the Fairmont Hotel in Abu Dhabi staying from 7th to 12th March 2011. This trip was to celebrate a birthday.

We booked our trip with bestattravel.co.uk and got a good deal for 5 nights half board. This included flights, hotel 9breakfast and dinner) and transfer to and from the airport.

When we arrived at the Fairmont we were greeted by the very welcoming staff at reception. Concierge were very quick to take our luggage and deliver it to our room.

The room

My husband emailed the hotel prior to our arrival to ensure that they were aware that we were staying to celebrate a birthday. They quickly responded a few days before to confirm that they allocated a mosque view room. There was no disappointment when we arrived in the room. There was huge beautiful king bed, seating area and top class bathroom area. The windows were huge and the view of the mosque was fantastic. The room was spotlessly clean and spacious. For those travelling from the UK you will be glad to know that sockets are exactly like ours so there is no need for adapters.

The beach and Pool

Wow this was top notch. Once you arrived at the pool or beach area the very friendly staff would ask you were you wanted to sit and then bring over 2 towels one for the sun lounger and one to dry yourself off after a swim they would then pop along with bottled water in an ice bucket. The staff were extremely attentive and would come round periodically with complimentary freezing cold face towels, shots of frozen lime juice, bottles of water and fruit skewers

The weather

Weather was beautifully hot every day. It was around 30-33 degrees. There was occasionally a cool breeze but middle of the day gets intensely hot so be sure to bring plenty of sunscreen. Evenings can get quite chilly but only during winter months.

Prices

Hotel prices were reasonable I would probably say London prices. A bottle of beer was around £4 and glass of wine £6. Spirits depending on what you wanted where between £6 to £10. So not extortion prices but I suspect prices may change depending on season and what exchange rates you get.

Half board

This included breakfast and dinner and located in the hotel restaurant called Elements.

Breakfast was served from 6.30 to 10.30 am and had an array of food ranging from cereal to full English and continental with bread cheese hams etc. tea coffee water and fruit jucies are part of the half board breakfast package

Evening meals were served from 7 to 11.30pm again a good selection of meals mainly Indian and Chinese which suited us down to the ground. The food was freshly prepared and didn’t seem like it was sitting there for hours. Chefs would replenish food regularly and even make dishes for you. They were extremely
Helpful, and if you were not sure on the dish they would explain what was in them. The sushi was fantastic again freshly prepared with specialities each day. There was a small selection of Mediterranean food this was mainly roasted chicken and beef with vegetables.

There was no pizza, pasta or chips etc so if this is the sort of food you prefer then you may not wish to take the half board option and see what the other restaurants have on offer.

The staff

Absolutely superb every single one of them. Nothing was ever too much trouble. Incredibly professional and attentive and after a few days a few of them even greeted us by name. Keep up the good work Fairmont!!!

Out and about

We did a few things during our short stay. We visited the mosque on one of the days. There are guided tours at 10 am, 11 am and 5pm Monday to Thursday and is free of charge. Ladies you will have to wear local dress, this is provided to you by the mosque. Although I was fully covered in long trousers, shoulders and arms covered and I had brought a pashmina for my head they still wanted me to wear the gown and head scarf. Gentleman are expected to wear the gown too if they are wearing shorts and t shirts.

We visited the souk which is practically next door to the hotel (only a short walk). The souk forms part of the Shangri La Hotel (another lovely hotel but nowhere near as good as Fairmont) . There is a small selection of shops and lots of restaurants which are supposed to be some of the best ABU Dhabi has to offer, I cant make personal judgment as I didn’t go but we read some positive articles in local paper.

We visited the Pearl Bar one evening (located in the Shangri La hotel). They played a variety of old dance anthems and has some amazing views of the mosque. Prices of drinks were pretty similar to Fairmont.

There was a comedy show in the Crowne Plaza in A D city which was fantastic. There were 3 British comedians doing an half hour stand up act. This cost us £20 each and was worth every penny. They regularly do shows so it may be worth checking when they will be visiting again. Check out Time Out magazine (I am sure they have a website too) to find out what is going on during your trip.

Taxis are very cheap it cost around £10 to get to Abu Dhabi city from the Fairmont (which was roughly 20 mins away) . Taxi to Shangri La was about £1. Don’t bother hiring cars the taxis are so cheap its worth just getting a taxi round the place.

We both loved the Fairmont and Abu Dhabi and would not hesitate to recommend to friends and family. A truly wonderful experience and will definitely return!!

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.