“Service to Dream About”

Fairmont Bab Al Bahr
Ranked #21 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 17 June 2012

My last visit to Abu Dhabi, I thought I had the privilege to stay at the Emirates Palace Hotel, but now I know the privilege is to stay at the Fairmont Bab Al Bahr. I was put in a suite on the Gold level floor...every staff person seemed to know my name and my preferences at every turn. Every staff member seemed genuinely courteous and helpful. No need was left unmet. My room was huge with a living room, dressing area and bed room. Floor to ceiling windows overlook the Grand Mosque. There was a deep soaking tub, which I did not have the opportunity to use. No spa, but the staff arranged for my massage at the nearby Shangri La Hotel (recommend a spa treatment there). We ate at Frankies, the steakhouse and the buffet restaurants and all where wonderful. I highly recommend the steakhouse and the buffet. The gym facilities are top notch with onsite personnel willing to help you out with your work out or form (and handing you cool, wet cloths when you perspire!). My colleague braved the 109 degree heat to use the pool and he claimed the pool water was cooled! The pool area and outside areas are all beautiful and well kept. One minor complaint, I don't believe my room air conditioning was working properly. Maybe it was because my room was so large, but I couldn't get the room cooled to my liking. I did not alert anyone to this though I'm sure they would've been on it!
I hope I have the privilege to stay here on my next trip to Abu Dhabi.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank redheadmom

Reviewed 14 June 2012

great experience....one should be there to feel it....great place ....happy to go back ....u can feel warmth and silence atmosphere .....a great view to the Grand Mosque .....amazing......pool side and the break fast just breautiful....wana go back again and again..... great service from the well trained staff .... c ya all soon ....

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 June 2012

1st and foremost our double room are excellent. It was very spacious including a wonderfully comfortable king size bed. The design was very modern with only glass doors to separate the shower and toilet from the rest of the room. It's nice though not very good for concealing noise or smells.

The food is great. I had buffet breakfast everyday and ate til I couldn't eat no more. It worth noting that eating turkey bacon is not as bad as I initially thought. They have Indian, Asian, and European breakfasts available plus cereal.

The pool area is also worth going to. It's a decent size and allows you to swim up to a bar. I know you should drink and eat whilst swimming but this was too tempting. If you do go also make an effort to swim in the creek (which is really a river) but note the water is quite salty.

Customer service is exceptional. Never before have staff recognised me and remembered my name. When leaving and returning they would say "goodbye Mr......" or "welcome back Mr .....". It is a very nice addition to their service which is already very helpful.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and recommend it highly. If you can afford it please treat yourself.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a view of the creek (river) as it's much nicer to look at than construct...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BM2759
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Being an extensive traveller, for work and holidays.... I have to say that this is one of the best hotels I have EVER stayed in.
The building itself is beautiful and very modern, grounds are constantly looked after with an amazing pool and beach area. The public areas even have their own Fairmont signature smell/perfume which is beautiful. (Sofitel do something very similar)
I travelled with a party of 5, in 3 rooms and were fortunate enough to be upgraded to rooms with a view, which again was beautiful. Rooms are huge with very comfy beds, excellent bathroom area which included a walk in wet room (incorporating large bath tub and open shower) 2 sinks with plenty of space for 2 to get ready at the same time.
We went on a half board basis where we had to eat in their restaurant "Cuiscene" For me, half board means breakfast and dinner... but the deal was actually breakfast and lunch. We were able to change for dinner, but at a cost off approx AED46 pp (some Tripadvisors have managed to change this for free)
Food @ Cuiscene was absolutely amazing and the staff were so friendly and very attentive.... Everytime you left your seat, someone would come and fold your napkin. There were plenty of choices at breakfast and at Dinner time....... One night was a seafood theme, another Arabian night and another Indian night..... There are different sections of the restaurant where there is a massive variety of food. Even the head chef would occasionally come around and ask if anything in particular could be prepared.... excellent service!
Pool and area was beautiful and very welcoming to the 41 degree heat. Pool staff/lifeguards were very attentive and hard working... bringing towels to you and making up the sun bed... also bringing ice buckets with cold bottles of water.... Be warned thought that the pool area does get extremely busy their weekends (fri and sat) with lots of locals/expats who are members and kind of take over the place.... Lots of screaming and shouting, noisy kids.... and a lot of people with attitude..... a complete opposite to the peaceful haven it is during the week. I felt extremely sorry for the pool staff as a lot of the fairmont members seemed to have lost their manners and spoke down to them quite rudely... I felt like intervening at one point with an Australian family who were complaining that they weren't being served (whilst being in the pool!?) I hope some of the staff read this and I'd like to reassure you that you do an AMAZING job.. even at the weekends where the pool is overcrowded and you have so many people to look after!

Journey to the hotel is approx 30mins from Abu Dhabi airport. The hotel can arrange their own transportation for you, but it is much more expensive than a taxi. Taxi journey costs approx AED40-50 depending on how fast the driver goes.

A visit to the hotels chocolatier/coffee shop is a must to indulge yourself..... Afternoon tea looked beautiful... The other restaurants looked very nice too, but I never used them.

The negatives (and I really am nit picking here):
The hotel is quite far out from the town centre so takes approx 30 minutes depending on traffic to get there... This wasn't a problem for me as I just wanted a quiet break, and had everything I needed at the hotel.

Kayaks were available at the beach... but at a charge for hotel guests.. apparently free for club members (even though they were hardly used all day!?!?!)

Internet connection was good but its quite pricey... and is only free for Fairmont Club members.

No spa in the hotel as others have mentioned... even though the guest services book in the room states that there is one on the lobby level??!

Summary:
A fantastic stay and will definitely return... but will try and avoid the weekend.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Simon S
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I stayed there during Madonna concert weekend June 3rd. also celebrated a friend Bday.
the room view is amazing. we had a creek view room. amazing showers and large bathroom.
the restaurant cuisons is nice for breakfast.
it was not busy in summer people travel to Europe instead. the only comment is about check in it was very smooth. we arrived at 1:30 and we had to wait for the room. also the front desk girl ruined the surprise I was doing for my friend by asking if we celebrating an occasions. and I already planned a SURPRISE at the room.

But this place is great and will stay here again and again. also was given complimentary internet.

Room Tip: choose the creek view rooms
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 June 2012

This was my first stay over trip to the middle east and I was very impressed. The hotel is stunning, the pool area beautiful and the staff very friendly and welcoming. The choice of restaurants is very varied, every taste is catered for. The Friday brunch is a must, the choice of food is incredible and the pool is not far away for recovery after. Especially after a visit to the dessert section. The room was very comfortable with fresh modern decor. When you are using the bathroom at night, make sure your blinds are closed facing down as you can still see into the bathroom if they are closed facing up from the bar area. Overall a lovely trip to Abu Dhabi, I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: A mosque view is definitely a plus!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 June 2012

This is hands down the best Fairmont hotel I've ever stayed at. The rooms are brand new and very luxurious in a modern way. I was very positively impressed. The service was nice and attentive and they do remember your face. Pool was large and nicely done. I only stayed 1 night but if I had known of the condition of the hotel beforehand, I would have tried to stay longer. Abu Dhabi is a wonderful place and already looking forward to coming back.

TIP: Next door restaurant Bord Eau is, in my opinion, the best French restaurant in UAE and is better than many 1 to 2 star Michelin restaurants I've experienced in the USA and Europe...

Room Tip: View of the grand mosque was great!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple