“Lovely stay at the Fairmont”

Fairmont Bab Al Bahr
Ranked #24 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Fairmont for one week early May, we had only ever been to Dubai in the past and thought we would try something different.
The hotel is lovely!! Rooms are very spacious and well equipped with sofa and TV area, lovely wet room, floor to ceiling windows with great views, couldn't fault it, just lovely!!
We had half board, this is something we don't usually do but we have to say the food was amazing, so much choice and such wonderful flavours!! I have a sweet tooth and have to say the dessert room was delicious!!!!
Pool area is lovely with a swim up bar, the beach area is nice but absolutely nothing like Dubai, its more like a large river inlet.
Good location, only 15 mins from airport, cabs are so cheap so getting around costs only a few pounds!!
Theres a lovely bar in Frankies and a bar area outside, restaurants and a great gym open 24 hours!!
The staff at the Fairmont cannot be faulted, in fact I think the owners should be so proud of their workforce - concierge, maid service, front of house, everyone!!
Right…..The only downside……..
Would we return, yes we would as we loved everything about our trip BUT we would try our upmost to avoid the weekend (Friday & Saturday)!!! In our opinion we think the Fairmont should be doing their best to change their polices regarding day passes and membership. On the Friday I would have to say it was not pleasant at all, the pool area was just far too busy and did not resemble a high standard hotel at all more like a party hotel with youngsters crossed with all the local families on a day out, which would be fine if the hotel didn't allow so many people in that it makes the guests feel uncomfortable. One of the hardest things we found was listening to the way some of the staff were spoken to by guests, a couple of times I had to bite my tongue as I found it just so rude especially when the staff were so polite. We went to speak to the duty manager (September), lovely chap, very helpful and most importantly he listened to us, he took everything on board and said he was going to bring it up in the next meeting, we do so hope that The Fairmont listen, we spoke to four other couples and they all felt exactly the same.
Do not let this put you off booking The Fairmont, we may have been staying at a particularly busy period. We will return but we will try to book to arrive on the Friday evening and leave on the Friday morning!!!

Room Tip: The view of the mosque is amazing but even the standard rooms are fantastic!
2  Thank Kellie T
Write a ReviewReviews (2,598)

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I haven't stayed in many hotels but I have to say the Fairmont was outstanding. I enjoyed my stay there very much. The room was perfect. The facilities (I.e. the pool, beach, etc) were truly 5*. The breakfast was excellent and had a wide array of choices. All staff from the reception desk to the cleaners and pool staff were polite and courteous. The only downside to here was the Internet connection that was sometimes temperamental but I think that was down to not being in close range of the router. I am looking forward to my next trip to Abu Dhabi and I will be definitely staying at the Fairmont - a truly outstanding hotel with staff that make it more than a 5* hotel.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
FairmontBabAlBahr, General Manager at Fairmont Bab Al Bahr, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Arfan A,

On behalf of our entire Fairmont Bab Al Bahr Team, I would like to thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post your review. Your compliments are greatly appreciated. I have also shared your feedback with our relevant departments. It would be our pleasure to welcome you once again on your next Abu Dhabi visit.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Fully recommend this hotel
The standards of this hotel exceeded our expectations. The friendliness and efficiency of the staff was exceptional. The location of the hotel was good but visitors should bear in mind that Abu Dhabi is a very large city in area

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Rex W
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Just home after a week at The Fairmont with my husband. We had a wonderful stay and this was down to the hard work of the staff. All staff have constant smiles and just want to make your stay perfect.
The entrance and reception are stunning, we had a easy check in and went to our room. The room was large with everything you could need. We didn't have a mosque view, but even the front was pretty at night when all lit up.
We had the buffet breakfast and buffet evening meal which was always a good standard - great runny yolks on the poached eggs. We went to Frankies on the last night, great meal and made to feel very special by the manager Coco
The pool area was clean and pretty, plenty of beds and umbrellas. The pool guys work hard at getting you in the right place with a ice bucket and water.
The beach area is the only area that looks a little tired and could do with a facelift
A wonderful holiday and would love to return

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tracey H

Dear Tracey H,

Greetings from Fairmont Bab Al Bahr!

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post your review.It was a great pleasure to share your compliments to our entire team especially to Coco who made your holiday a memorable one.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

This is an outstanding hotel. Located about half an hours drive from the Corniche it isn't bang in the middle of Abu Dhabi. But as most of the hotels are spread out, this isn't a problem, especially as taxis are so cheap. We regularly traveled into the city and the average cost was 40 AED (about £6). The travel time is about 20 to 25 minutes, so you can see that taxi's are not expensive.

We arrived on an early mornign flight and I had requested an early check in. A room was being prepared when we arrived at 8:45am so we had breakfast whilst we waited. We had a room with breakfast included and this is a must, it is exceptional. A huge and varied choice of international buffet food. The standard of food was very high. You can sit inside or outside and the service was fantastic every day.

Once we checked in our room had views of the creek and the Grand Mosque. The room was huge, with an enormous bed, separate sofa, desk, HD Television and a walk in shower room with bath. Everything was spotless. The hotel is modern in design and very contemporary. It has 2 celebrity chef restaurants (we ate in Frankies, see separate review), a Lebanese restaurant, bar/nightclub (busy on Thursday for Ladies night where it is free drinks for the women), chocolate factory and tea room and it's own buffet restaurant with al a carte option. We ate out most nights but the standard of the food we ordered around the pool (which came from the buffet restaurant) was fantastic every day.

The pool is large with a swim up bar service half price cocktails between 4pm and 6pm daily. The beach is also large with plenty of sunloungers. This was perfect for us as we were after a relaxing week in the sun. If you're looking for a resort type holiday, this is the hotel for you. There was a nice atmosphere, with people relaxing and enjoying the pool/beach. Service at the pool was brilliant, complimentary water when you arrived, ice buckets and your towels laid out for you. Nothing is too much trouble. We even had our lunch served to us on the beach on one of the days.

Whilst visiting it was my wife's birthday and the staff delivered a complimentary chocolate birthday cake! A nice touch.

The one thing that make the Fairmont really stand out is the service. Every member of staff is polite and friendly, nothing is too much trouble and one of the concierge's, Daryl, is a truly outstanding member of staff. He knew everything and arranged trips for us and helped with advice whenever we needed anything. He deserves special praise!

The hotel does not have free WIFI, which seems to be the norm in Abu Dhabi (and in today's day and age I think this is a shame as it is 100AED (about £15) per day. However, when I enquired at the Concierge about WIFI, I registered as a Fairmont President's Club member and this gave me complimentary access around the hotel. There are conditions to join (not financial) but it is worth doing if you're eligible. I found the WIFI to be consistent and could even pick it up on the beach!

We've been lucky in the last couple of years to have stayed at some amazing hotels, but the Fairmont is the best we have stayed in. I cannot believe this hotel has not won a Tripadvisor service award yet and I expect this to change this year as we have never experienced service of this standard before.

This is an outstanding hotel, stunning location and views of the Grand Mosque, beautiful pool area with a relaxed atmosphere, fantastic breakfast and poolside food and amazing service. If you are heading to Abu Dhabi, don't worry about location as taxis' are so cheap, stay at the Fairmont and experience a truly fantastic hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a view over the creek and the Grand Mosque.
1  Thank James T

Dear James T,

Thank you for choosing Fairmont Bab Al Bahr and taking the time to post your review. We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay and we were able to turn your moments into lasting memories. I will ensure that your kind compliments will be shared to our entire team epsecially to Daryl. It will be our pleasure to welcome you once again for another great experience in the near future.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed at the Fairmont Bal Al Bahr twice this month and enjoyed my stays. I was impressed with the large and comfortable rooms with all and more you could expect from a luxury hotel.

I slept well after a long overnight flight from South Africa and the view across to the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque was fantastic.

Locals enjoy the large pool area and bar and it was fun to interact with people.

The restaurant served a fantastic breakfast buffet, and the hotel coffee bar had excellent expresso.

The white sandy beach was inviting and there was always something to watch.

I attended a function at the hotel and the meeting rooms were inviting and large. Internet within the meeting facility did not work properly, but it was ok in my room.

Room Tip: The hotel is spread out a little. I enjoyed staying close to the elevator.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Ilove this hotel but I don't like the prices for food in room service no wifi and no cloub for kids but every think was amazing .........................................................................

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family