“A spacious room and homey feel to it”

Fairmont Bab Al Bahr
Ranked #22 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Hong Kong, China
“A spacious room and homey feel to it”
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I love how the layout of the bedroom was done. The sofa at the foot of the bed is very comfortable and I loved lounging on it while watching TV. In most of the hotels that I stayed in I would end up lying in bed and watching TV to kill time but the sofa with chewy (not too hard not too soft) throw pillows was a welcome change. The room gives you a spacious feel to it and makes you want to stay there longer. In some of the hotels that I've stayed in you won't feel as comfortable and homey. This hotel on the other hand makes you wanna stay in rather than just stay there to sleep. I just didn't like the layout of the toilet. It just felt weird.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank milesng
FairmontBabAlBahr, General Manager at Fairmont Bab Al Bahr, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear milesng,

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to thank you for choosing Fairmont Baba Al Bahr and taking the time to share your review. We are delighted that you had a great stay with us and that you particularly enjoyed your room. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again in the near future.

Nils Axing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (628)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We recently stayed here on the club lounge floor. Prior to arriving we emailed the hotel to ask if we could stay in a mosque view room and also if it was possible for an early check in as our flight arrived in the morning. The hotel was very accommodating and we were able to check in straight away to our mosque view room. I would definitely recommend requesting this you have a lovely view over the water to the mosque, the view at the other side of the hotel is overlooking the main road so nothing special.
There is a little boat which travels between the hotels which you can get at the end of the jetty at the hotel and was great to relax on and took us to the ritz hotel over the water to sample their steak restaurant Forge, which was nice but pricey.
The hotel staff could not be more accommodating whenever we had a question or request.
There was some work going on at the hotel which was covered over but still didn't look great, but didn't cause any inconvenience.
There is a walkway along the back of the hotels on that side of the water so you can walk between them which is handy. Otherwise any other hotels and restaurants you need to take a taxi, which was about 30 mins to get most places, therefore the location was a little bit out of the way, but if you don't mind and you just want a place to relax then this is the hotel.

Room Tip: Mosque view rooms have best view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 5_Bucks_5
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

A week before we flew, for some reason I had the urged to email the hotel to check if all bookings were arranged as planned as this was the first time we have used our holiday website. I was initially informed that my booking will not be until a month later based on their record! I panicked. Email correspondence were exchanged and in the end they rectified it on what appeared to be a typo error on their side.

On arrival:

We waited 30mins in the lobby after check in even though we were told "Good news, we have a room ready for you!". The hotel were informed that we are checking in early due to the the flight arriving from the UK. 30mins. wasn't too bad as hotel lobby was nice and it smells divine!

We make our own way to find the room we were told to go. Higher floor as requested but they must have overlooked the "creek/mosque view" request. We had the car park view. Excellent ceiling to floor window but not a good sight to look out on. Never mind, look on the brighter side, we are on holiday!!!

Luggage arrived and the man briefed us about the room. Spacious it was and I then started comparing this room to other rooms we have been in UAE. We have stayed 3 times in Dubai and this is our 2nd time in Abu Dhabi. I should say that it's needs a little bit of TLC. Marks on the edges and corners of the wall are prominent and the toiletry pieces that were put out in the sink area were a wee bit dusty which gave me an impression that MAYBE this room has been set out days ago. The wall below the airconditioning unit were full of black dark marks that would not got away by just merely dusting them. Anyhow, all in all, who stays in their room all day?!

* Breakfast is until 10:30am and this include weekends when they get really busy that we often had to wait for table. Maybe extending their breakfast time on weekends would be ideal so people doesn't need to rush. My breakfast experience wasn't particularly nice as I feel I had to hurry each time. Good selection of food.

* Dinner is from 7pm. Selection of food was good but it can get a bit tiring seeing the same menu few days later. I guess that usually happens if you stay for 2 weeks. There are chefs that walked around the dining area sometimes and once was the chance for my partner to make them aware that he has got some food allergy which one of them was happy to make/cook something. In the 14 breakfasts and dinners that we had, not ONCE has any Manager or Supervisor came to introduce themselves or at least said "Hello". Very unusual. We have seen people walking about each time but who knows if they are what we thought they are.... No introduction as to who we can see if we need anything! The waiters and waitresses are very good and friendly and this has always been a UAE standards in our experience.

* Housekeeping service are very good. Friendly, efficient and will always make you feel welcome. They greet you everywhere they see you.

* The sun lounger for me seems to be quite close to each other and if you are unlucky that you would end up with someone who is "slightly noisier" and a "smoker", then that's you relaxing time OVER! Pool is good size too. Swim up bar is always busy so if you're like us who just want to have a "relaxing" drink in the pool then it's not for you, instead order it and have it delivered in your sun lounger, hopefully somewhere quieter. It's happy hour I think from 4 or 6pm. Buy one get one free on cocktails. Only on limited number of drinks choices, 4 to be exact.

*Remember to enrol in their President's Club so you can have access to their free wifi. No connection by the pool area, not very good signal in the room or any communal area either so I think they should think about looking into this as everyone has mobile/tablet/laptop when they are on holiday. For a 5* hotel, this issue should be at the top of their lists.

*There is a free shuttle bus that can take you to the Mosque and few shopping malls which is handy to give you that break away from the hotel kind of feeling. Remember to book your seats at the Concierge although 9/10 there are always plenty of seats available.

*Taxis are cheap and always remember to put your seatbelt on!

As with any hotels in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, the staff will always make my stay so much better irregardless of what my issues are with the hotel itself and the Check In, Concierge, Restaurant, Pool & Housekeeping staff in this hotel did not disappoint me.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Miss A
Dear Miss A,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for taking the time to post your valuable feedback. We appreciate all our guest comments and therefore have shared your review with the relevant departments.

Once again, thank you for choosing Fairmont Bab Al Bahr and we look forward to your next visit.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Behind its weird shape you will find an impressive example of what Abu Dhabi can offer: absolutely top-notch quality (well beyond European standards) without the price of Dubai.

Upon arrival we were upgraded to a fantastic huge room with excellent views to the Mosque. This was only one of the many details we were happy with during our 3 nights stay. The pool and the "club" around it is (which includes acess to the sea) is amazing.

Location is nice. However, you should not worry much about this, as prices and availability of taxis are extremely convenient in Abu Dhabi. However, one of the finest Abu Dhabi shopping centres is just 300m away

An extremely sensible option for staying in Abu Dhabi.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JMPR_bxl
FairmontBabAlBahr, General Manager at Fairmont Bab Al Bahr, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear JMPR_bxl,

Greetings from Fairmont Bab Al Bahr!

Thank you very much for staying with us and taking your time to provide us your valuable feedback. It was a great pleasure to have you as our guest. Our entire team is looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Stayed one night at the Fairmont Bab Al Bahr.... Check in is pretty painless I did arrive exactly at 3pm but had to still had to wait 20minutes for the room to be done which did not bother me that much. I was left to find my own room which I haven't experienced in a 5 star hotel before.. Normally concierge will escort you to the room and show you facilities etc...
Very spacious rooms, amazing bath and shower overall nice room. I did not realize the sheer size of the hotel and I felt the room was a little 'tired' probably from over use... The room service was exceptional with an ETA time on food which was a nice touch! The TV is pretty small considering the size of room again this is a bit nit picky... The pool is nice and big with some good deep areas and a cool swim up bar. The pool side staff though I felt needed more training... in comparison to other 5 stars I have stayed in the UAE these were probably the least attentive.. No helper for lounger space, towels seemed very 'tired' under my chair which I did find was a massive mud puddle (not sure where water came from) and my lounger was covered in bird crap!
The hotel has some really nice restaurants Frankies and Marco Pierre white and a cool cocktail lounge.
My only major issue that put me off was that my room was so noisy! I had a car-park facing room (im guessing as this was a complimentary room through a competition) and it was next to a staircase... The slamming doors were so loud they would scare you out of a deep sleep, then it seemed my room was creaking all night, I can only describe it as creaking pipes.. In the UK in old houses you would here the central heating pipes creaking and making a ticking noise.. this is exactly what was happening in my room and drove me nuts!

Breakfast was very good amazing array of foods and the chef made Eggs Benedict which was a nice touch! I went back to my room around 730am to have a few hours shut eye..but the construction work out side had started with moving of concrete piles!

I think it was just bad luck as I would stay in the hotel again as overall the good out weigh the bad.. just felt a bit 'informal' and not really treated with care and attention you get at other UAE 5star hotels.

Room Tip: Creak facing view.. trust me you do not want the car park!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
FairmontBabAlBahr, General Manager at Fairmont Bab Al Bahr, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear Emad M,

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post your valuable feedback. Your comments are greatly appreciated and I have shared them with the relevant departments. On your next visit, our Front Office Manager, Mr. Tamer Hussein would be delighted to assist you with the hotel arrangements and ensure that your stay with us is seamless. Please feel free to contact him directly at tamer.hussein@fairmont.com.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back at the Fairmont Bab Al Bahr.

West Drayton
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Lovely hotel with friendly and helpful staff. The rooms are very spacious, only lacking in some drawer space but that's a minor issue. We had great views as the room had floor to ceiling windows. Very clean and an amazing beautiful lobby area. Lots of food choices. Would go back again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Pompeia W
Dubai
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

I would give it 15 over 10.....everything was beyond the expectations compared to any orher 5 stars hotel I have been whether in UAE or in Europe. Starting from the fastest and friendly check in...I would like to thank (Simon)...I received 2 connecting rooms looking the creek & Sh. Zayed mosque as I requested. Rooms are fabulous.The hotel takes care even with small details (shaving kit, mouth wash, dental care kit...etc).Room services are fantastic, we enjoyed the dine in. ....I like the chocolates gallery shop ( amazing for chocolates lovers . Swimming pools and bar outstanding. You can keep your children in the covered one.Finally, I enjoyed watching Eng vs Urg & Fra vs Swi in the second day with my wife in the world cup theatre, amazing atmosphere. I recommend it for each family for weekend stay....Definitely We'll come back.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Tamer N
FairmontBabAlBahr, General Manager at Fairmont Bab Al Bahr, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Tamer N,

Greetings from Fairmont Bab Al Bahr!

Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to post your review. We are delighted that we have exceeded your expectations. Your kind compliments will also be conveyed to our entire team who made your recent stay a memorable one. It will be our pleasure to welcome you once again for another great experience in the near future.