“Over rated ! not sure what's the big deal about !?”

Fairmont Bab Al Bahr
Ranked #23 of 127 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Dubai
“Over rated ! not sure what's the big deal about !?”
Reviewed 1 November 2010

Being a President Club member and a 4th time visitor in less than a month I am not impressed !

Well you pay over $400 dollars you expect the best. The lobby is grand and all and because of the club membership I get to have dedicated desk check-in. ONLY.

The lobby is a glam and grand but beyond that as you go to the room elevators it suddenly mutes in to ordinary feel.

Later the room had large windows with lovely creek views towards the mosque. But the design was un-functional: glass shelves (dangerous to kids), little storage space, no towel/ robe hangers, and most importantly the tv was very small and far from the bed that makes it hard to see and the remote doesn't work.

All that aside the service was not up to the standard. Having requested a cot before check-in we have arrived late at night and the cot is not in our room. We had to call again and it arrived an hour late.

The service staff from housekeeping and in-room dining would ring the bell impatiently three times in less than a 30 seconds which was totally impolite. Later they would forget the fruit 'platter' from the breakfast table and would come back with a 'tea cup saucer' that had three slices of melon and three berries !!

Also I have requested housekeeping to make up my room as I stayed in it all morning. They got 2 hours late from the time I have scheduled it.

All in all, this hotel is not worth the money. The Shangri-La next door is far more courteous and generous with outstanding service and value for money.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Stayed here for a week while my husband was on a business trip and ti was my refuge in a rather boring city. Everything about this hotel was perfect. A beautiful pool surrounded by palm trees, overlooking the creek and the stunning white mosque. with attentive staff who provided complimentary iced waters and fruit smoothies.
There was a good choice on the room service menu and the food always arrived before they said it would. We also ate at the Lebanese restaurant which had great atmosphere and food. But you must try the hot chocolate in the Choclate Gallery.
Our room was extremely spacious and kept spotlessly clean by housekeeping who encouraged you to tell them when you would like your room serviced, a real bonus when spending a lot of time in the hotel. All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful and really seemed to mean it when they said "hope you have a nice day".

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Perth
Reviewed 4 October 2010

We visited this hotel for dinner. What an amazing place ! Although some way from the city centre, it's near the airport, and the views over the water to the mosque are superb. Tremendous modern architecture, a cool bar, and wonderful swimming pool area, plus a small beach. We ate at the Cedar Lounge, a lebanese restaurant with beautiful outdoor cabanas - great atmosphere, food and drink to match.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a high class break in Abu Dhabi.

Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 27 September 2010

My one night stay at Bab Al Bahr was seriously amazing. When we arrived we were extremely stressed because we had been driving for such a long time, we were both so tired that all we wanted to do was collapse.

As we pulled up I could already see the valet walking towards us and a band of people to help with our luggage. As we walked through the doors a housekeeping attendant welcomed us with the biggest most genuine smile I had seen in days.

Check in was so quick and smooth I can’t even remember it and before we knew it we were whisked upstairs to our room (which had a breath taking view). We decided to check out Fairmont Gold Lounge where we were greeted by Arnold who said he had been waiting for me! How important did I feel now!

Every member of the Fairmont Gold team used our names and several of them even struck up conversations with us about all kinds of things.

We went to the pool and again was met with a huge smile from the life guard on duty. Not only did he help position our towels on the chair in a genius way to make a pillow, but he bought ice cold water over to us and informed us of the promotion that the bar was running at happy hour! I was amazed and obviously as a result ordered a cocktail. Which of course exceeded my expectations.

After soaking in the sun all afternoon with a view of the Mosque over the water we decided to try out the steak restaurant where again the colleagues all new my name! I felt like royalty. There are a million examples of how they were anticipating our needs but my favorite was when they gave me a pillow for the chair. The quality of the food was outstanding, the pace of the meal perfect and the knowledge the team had of the products was great. They even managed to suggest which butter to try with which bread!

Finally we finished the night back in Fairmont Gold where we slumped into big chairs with a nice cup of tea.

All of this and it is only the end of day one. By the end of the following day we truly felt we had been on a relaxing vacation get away.

Thank you so much to everyone at Bab Al Bahr

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheMouseUK
Dubai
Reviewed 12 September 2010

Once you enter the vast lobby you instantly know that you are in for a luxurious treat. We booked one the suites and we had checked in at the club level and it was worth it. The room was spacious and comfortable. The furniture was a mix of Arabic and modern fusion. The staff was very helpful and even booked us a table in one of the restaurants last minute on a busy night. The swimming pools looked clean and inviting, while having the big shiekh zayed mosque in the background made for a stunning scenery something out of a post card

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bumahra
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2010

My wife and I got off to a bad start in Abu Dhabi, late flight, no car at the airport, not a hotel car I hasten to add, then when I called the hotel from the airport to see what they could do, I was told our room reservation had been cancelled 24hrs earlier. Dont worry said the girl on the end of the phone just come to the hotel.
Let me add at this point, my thanks to total strangers at Abu Dhabi airport who were so helpful in trying to find my driver.
Anyway we get to the hotel and are met by Marjorie Pittet a young Swiss woman who was the duty manager, Marjorie couldnt be more helpful, she gave us a room an upgraded room with a view of the creek and Mosque, told us not to worry and they would sort everything out on Monday when business resumes in the UK. True to her word everything was sorted, nothing to do with the hotel but my Travel Agent. Marjorie kept me informed, even came to the pool a couple of times to make sure my wife and I were ok and to see if we needed anything... 46'C ! Marjorie wears a suit.....thats customer service.
The rooms are excellent, spacious with great views on the creek side, house keeping is impeccable we never had any issues with our rooms not being done when we were out and at night towels were replaced beds turned down and the room was given the once over again.
Breakfast was a relaxing experience with warm friendly genuinely happy staff who couldnt do enough for you, the food was also excellent. We mainly ate in Marco Pierre Whites Steakhouse and Frankies Italian. Marcos is a visually stunning setting with exquisite cusine and service to match, Patricia Ghamami the restaurant GM runs a tight ship and her staff have great respect for her, she is a real gem and will make your dining experience unforgetable. Marco if you read this, you should be proud that this restaurant has your name on the door and that Patricia, the Chefs, the Sommelier (forgot his name) and all the serving staff out perform the standards you've come to expect.
Frankies is a slightly more laid back experience, but with similar standards of food and service, Leslie Chavez the assistant manager is a great character and must cover miles in the restaurant every day. The GM Vinicio Alberelli is what we call a patter merchant in Scotland, its a good thing Vinicio, trust me. On our last night in the hotel one of Lesleys staff made a dessert for my wife and I with Bon Voyage hand written in chocolate on the plate, a very nice touch and again typical of the customer service you will find in this hotel.
We also ate twice in the Ceder Lounge a recently opened Lebanese restaurant in the hotel which was another wonderful dining experince.
I could wax lyrical about the quality of food in these restaurants for hours but needless to say my wife and I never left the hotel to eat because the food was so so good and believe me I know my food.
Pool service was excellent, it was Ramadan over part of our 12 day stay and the pool was quiet somedays even completely empty during others but that just added to our rest and relaxation. The pool attendants were very discreet and always kept our ice buckets topped up with complimentary water.
We had a fantastic time in Fairmont Bab Al Bar and this was 100% down to the staff in this hotel. We have stayed in a lot of big name hotels in the UAE but never before in Abu Dhabi or in a Fairmont, what sets the Bab Al Bar above the rest is its quality of staff and its customer service, the staff are all genuinely happy to be at work, pleased to see each other and happy to serve. Well done Fairmont and thank you Marjorie, Patricia and all the other staff who made our stay unforgettable.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bennie_Mac
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 9 August 2010

I spent 2 nights in Fairmont Bab Al Bahr and i found it an ideal place to stay in Abu Dhabi, the rooms are designed to give the guest the best experience, variety and quality of the food and the restaurants, the staff and customer service, everything is delighting...

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends