“Loved It!”

Grand Millennium Al Wahda
Ranked #59 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We loved our stay here in Grand Millennium. Our room was clean, spacious, comfortable and had free wi-fi. The staff was very helpful and courteous when we asked for extra blankets and towels. The hotel is also right next to the mall, which was good.

I would def recommend this to anyone going to Abu Dhabi. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,851)

Reviewed 24 November 2011

Stayed at the Grand Millennium Al Wahda on a visit to this years Abu Dhabi Grand Prix- was disapointed at how far it was from the Yas Circuit but delighted to see that they were laying on shuttle buses every few hours.

The hotel was clean and pleasant and the staff were very helpful.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 November 2011

Had booked a junior club suite for 4 nights over the Grand Prix weekend. Reception was very busy when we arrived but we were attended to promptly and taken off to our room. As we walked into our room, we were told it was a 2 bed apartment. As there was just 2 of us - we didn't need a second bedroom, nor did we intend to cook so didn't need a kitchen. I also noticed that we were on the 10th floor overlooking the hundreds of airconditioning units of the Al Wahda Mall. Having made our booking months earlier, we refused the room and returned to reception. Someone tried to tell us that we have been "upgraded" ! so we suggested that they upgrade someone else and find us our junior club suite. Although the hotel was full, they managed to find us a junior club suite in the hotel on the 27th floor which was good.

Breakfast was ample with very good attentive service. Food in buffet stations was a bit cold some mornings but choice of fruits & pastries was fine and coffee was good and plentiful. We didn't spend much time in the hotel as we were over at Yas Island for much of the weekend. (interestingly although the hotel knew we were in AD for the GP they never mentioned that there was a free hotel shuttle to Yas Island which another reviewer has referred to).

The club facility is a joke. Despite the fact that the website states that the club lounge offers hot & cold beverages," including wines, cocktails, and hors d'oeuvres". They don't. Why don't they remove this from their website? It is easy to do and totally misleading to leave that on. The hotel has no alcohol licence. We only ventured into the Club Lounge twice and found that food left out during the day was left over pastries from breakfast. On the last evening there was a small cheeseboard - but no plates, no knives. The coffee machine had no cups. Clearly they didn't expect anyone to use the facility - and unsurprisingly - noone was.

Our room was comfortable and quiet and our only niggle was that it took around 5mins for the water to run hot for the bath. It seemed to improve over the weekend when I assume the hotel was full and more guests were running water to rooms in higher floors.

Where the hotel completely fell apart however is with their concierge. The staff who work there are totally untrained and I don't think they understand the role of a concierge. We asked them to do 2 simple things for us and it took 3 follow up requests - and they still didn't bother. Each time we went to the desk or called them it was someone who had just come on to the desk and they assured me they would look in the concierge book and get back to me. Each time nothing happened. Please do NOT leave any pressing travel arrangements with the concierge desk as you would be better dealing with them yourself. In the end, I telephoned our travel agent in the UK - who dealt with our query and emailed me back within half an hour with a response - compared to the 4 requests over 48 hours to the concierge in Abu Dhabi which yielded nothing.

The location next to Al Wahda Mall was good in that there are always lots of taxis for the mall visitors and so it was quick and easy to get one.

Overall - this hotel was ok for our needs but I was completely appalled at the concierge desk. It is without doubt the worst concierge "service" I have ever encountered in any hotel in the world.

Reviewed 23 November 2011

Cons:

- Water: the water heater/regulator doesn't work properly. The hot water is scalding, literally, and you can't keep a constant temperature in the shower. I turn it to a good temperature, 30 seconds later (without touching it) it get super hot, then I turn it a little colder and 30 seconds later it gets super cold. Yes, this is my daily shower experience in a "5-star" property.

- Concierge: Worthless. They know nothing about local football matches. They don't know that camel racing even exists in the UAE. They didn't know about either of 2 new malls that recently opened. I could keep going.

- Electricity: The hair dryer they supplied got so hot, it burned my wifes hair. I think it's just surges. It has burned out the batter in my laptop.

- Internet: Slow and not reliable. I think this is a UAE issue. But they also require you to log in daily. This is a pain, especially with the ipad. Why can't they do it weekly or for the entire length of the stay?

- Maids: They generally just pile stuff up. They don't really do any real cleaning. This is a problem if you are staying for a month or longer. They don't mop the kitchen and the shower smells like mildew.

- Security: They just added a security guard on every floor at the elevators. They just leer at you (especially women) as you walk out. When you return, your supposed to give them your room number in order to get by them. They have a list of everyone's name and room number with them. Sometimes they just leave it lying on the bench. Sometimes it's in their hand. Showing them your key is not enough. I guess they haven't considered having security on the ground floor as opposed to every floor in the hotel so you can feel uncomfortable every time you go to the elevator.

- do no disturb light: i guess this means please call my room and knock on my door, not do not disturb

- loyalty points: despite being told before reserving that my stay would be added to my loyalty points, they later told me that stays for a month or longer could not be added. Every other major hotel chain gives points for long stays. I guess it's okay because I'll never stay there again anyway.

pros:

gym: It is big and nice, but the allow the general public to buy memberships so it is often very crowded.

location

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank jww1999
M_Sorgenfrey, General Manager at Grand Millennium Al Wahda, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during the last visit to Grand Millennium Al Wahda.

Your feedback is much appreciated to constantly benchmark ourselves and measure our service standards, to ensure that our guest’s expectations are met on each visit to the property.

As for your main feedback, we are in process to rectify the issue on the water heater regulator and all other concerns you had are currently looking into them to avoid recurrence.

We look forward having you back with us in the future.

Michael Sorgenfrey

Reviewed 21 November 2011

Like a few others reviewing here, I too stayed over the GP weekend. My wife and I travelled independently and stayed in a club room on the 29th floor. The hotel in general and the room in particular were nice enough, well furnished and decorated with quality fixtures and fittings and so on and a casual walk around would leave you thinking that all was well. It's not, and what's more several of the reviewers here point to the same issues which are clearly unresolved.

1. Taking a shower: Be prepared to be alternately scalded or frozen, you're unlikely to find the happy medium. Whenever I thought I had found it, I quickly discovered otherwise. Quite probably the worst waterworks I've encountered in decades.

2. Turning on a light or the TV: The hotel rooms enjoy "state of the ar€e" equipment. The ridiculous tablet like device they use for the lighting etc means you spend several minutes trying to figure out how, for example, to just leave a reading light on before you go to bed (I was traveling with two laptops and an iPad, so I'm not exactly a technophobe). Then the TV, this uses a Windows based menu system to access a TV channel. However, once you had selected a particular category e.g News, it refused to allow you to access entertainment channels until it had been unplugged and rebooted - ridiculous.

3. On our first morning at the hotel we went to breakfast around 8.30 and decided we would prefer the room not to be made up while we were there so left a do not disturb sign outside. Upon our return we removed it at around 9.20 then went to the race circuit for the day. On our return late in the evening we noted that the room had not been made up. Thinking nothing of it we simply carried on and assumed it would all be well the following day.... wrong. On our return from the circuit the following day at around 7pm we found that the room still had not been made up - we've now been at the hotel for 48 hours and housekeeping have not been by....we reported this to the assistant at the Executive club lounge and it was resolved while we were out that evening.

4. We were denied breakfast in the Executive club lounge (Which we had paid for) because they had a football team in there.....so what!!! There was clearly space available, but apparently these guys needed their privacy. We'd paid extra so we could among other things, enjoy the calm environment of a quiet breakfast. Not to sit in the main room with hundreds of other guests.

5. And finally, the straw that broke the camels back. Upon return from the Paul McCartney concert we felt peckish and placed an order for some room service at around 00.30. We saw a film just starting we felt like watching and so sat and waited for the food to arrive. We were told it would take half an hour or so. At 1.15 I called to enquire after the food. Apologies were given and I was told 20 minutes more. at 1.45 I called again...it's on the way. At 2.05 more apologies and "there was a mix up", what did you order again.... The film now over by the way, we were feeling rather hungry and decided to carry on.... at 02.35 the food arrived, some TWO HOURS after the original order. I was asked to sign for the bill of course which I did, writing on the receipt that it was delivered two hours late. The next morning we checked out and I raised the issue of the poor room service (€20 worth) with the duty manager. He clearly refused to believe me and so I asked to see the bill I had signed - knowing that it would state I had signed two hours late - miraculously it had disappeared, however they now had a bit of paper saying I ordered the food at 2.05. I was given a 50% discount on the food. (€10) for my trouble. Having spent close to a thousand euros at this hotel I felt the response was paltry and made this clear as I left. On reflection, the experience did resonate with seeing other guests receiving food from delivery boys in reception from local fast food outlets....

Overall my view was that while nice enough, the overall poor quality service combined with the ridiculous facilities made this place awful value - this was not my first visit to Abu Dhabi and will not be the last, but I will not stay at this hotel again.

4  Thank VinnieVX7

Dear Valued Guest,

We are currently looking into those concern you had to avoid recurrence.

We look forward having you back with us in the future.

Michael Sorgenfrey

Reviewed 20 November 2011

We stayed here for a week, the first two nights at the last minute meant that we had a double bedroom which was fine.
We then had five nights in a one bedroomed apartment. It was very spacious, massive bed, and quite nice. What left it down was the little things. There were no instruction booklets for the washing machine and microwave/grill oven (but we did get some delivered once we asked). Probably the most annoying thing was that was no can opener that worked. For a 5 start hotel they had the old fashiioned metal grip style can openers, we had three delivered to our room and not one worked. On the Friday afternoon two Housekeeping managers came, they said they would sort one out for us. We left the following Wednesday, still no can opener. This is just a small issue, but for a 5 start hotel it is very annoying!
The pool at the hotel is on the roof and is small for such a big place.
What l would say about Abu Dhabi is that there is nothing really to do and having been there l won't be going back, we went there for a few days rest after 10 days in Nepal, we did rest up but l am gald it was not the sole purpose of my holiday.
Also beware of the constant air conditioning, it dires you out!!

Reviewed 16 November 2011

Nice hotel. I've stayed in three different rooms. XX19 or XX20 may be small with small window. Impossible to adjust shower water temperature to constant temp. If you make it hot it will suddenly scald you. If you make it warm it will suddenly become too cold. Rooms also use high tech remote to control lights. This causes more problems than it solves. If you use it to turn off all lights you cannot turn on any light at its own switch.

• Stayed: November 2011