“Excellent Location, service and Room!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Millennium Al Wahda

Grand Millennium Al Wahda
Ranked #51 of 130 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Dubai
“Excellent Location, service and Room!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

I was there just for 2 nights, and truly enjoyed the total experience.
Room is specious, I had huge bed, screen, bath... a lot of daylight! I think based on room locations, it depends how much light you get! My colleague wasn't very happy about the daylights, and he was offered another room instead!
We dined in Porto bello, the Italian restaurant, and they just started serving alcohol there!
We were informed that for a hole year, they didn't have a license, however now they got it!
We were there on business and didn't take any alcohol, but it is good to know. I will surely be back there with my partner.
Breakfast was great, Reception staff was prompt and smiley.

In general, this was really pleasant experience and I would recoment it to all.

P.S. Found out that they have great family facilities, pools, Kids Club, so I will surely be back with the all family!

Room Tip: If you don't like the room, just ask to exchange it, staff was very helpful and made it happened...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Island of Gozo, Malta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2011

As has been noted in other reviews, a lot of the apartments in this hotel have no natural light; the only two (small) windows face inwards to a type of central courtyard, and are lit only by the windows on the connecting corridors to the sides. Other than that - your only view is of the curtains of the apartment on the opposing side. Again as noted, the plumbing leaves a lot to be desired. Hot water is very scarce, especially first thing in the morning. If you do stay there then I suggest turning the shower/bath on full blast and leaving it for at least 20 minutes if you don't want to exit the bathroom with chilblains or frostbite. The waste pipe under the kitchen sink also fell apart on a regular basis, covering floor and feet with lovely dirty dishwater. I learned early that it was a lot quicker to fix it myself than wait for maintenance. Other than that however, the fixtures and fittings were to a high standard, as were the lovely, cheerful, helpful chambermaids & boys. The same however cannot be said for the front desk staff. I strongly suspect that they are chosen for their appearance rather than their ability, as they are all very pretty - and that's the only positive thing to be said. We booked the Xmas Day Special meal from a beautifully laid out and elaborate pamphlet which unfortunately did not contain the essential information pertaining to where and when. On three separate occasions we approached front desk staff and asked for time and place. The first had no idea what we were talking about even though the leaflet was prominently displayed in front of his nose. The second wasn't sure, but thought it was 7pm. The third - on Xmas Eve - didn't know but offered to call and check. We were assured that it was 7pm in the Al Wahda restaurant. We duly turned up at said restaurant only to be told that Xmas LUNCH had been served between 12:30 and 4:30 in the PORTOBELLO restaurant. We had to make do with the normal buffet which was truly awful and damned expensive. Rubber prawns and crabcakes, soggy vegetables and insipid curries all served lukewarm; bland, tasteless sweets and a very limited cheeseboard. A very memorable Xmas dinner for all the wrong reasons. As others have said, I'm pretty sure that there is better value to be had in Abu Dhabi.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank DesertIslandDiva
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

We stayed for one night on 23rd of November.The hotel is beautifully appointed with quality fittings displaying a high degree of flair.The reception area is large and well laid out with free Arabic tea on offer and the wonderfully seductive fragrance of Arabic perfumes pervading the senses.The bedrooms are fitted to a high standard and internet is freely available.

Our bedroom was on the 19th floor offering a wonderful vista of Abu Dhabi .

The negatives --well the receptionist had obviously go out of the wrong side of the bed that morning -- she seemed disinterested cold and uncaring.The major disappointment with this hotel, which has been mentioned by previous reviewers , is the water supply when showering.The temperature of the water changes without warning from barely tepid to scolding hot -- this is dangerous in my view and something that the management have to address urgently.

The hotel is centrally situated very close to the bus station and adjacent to a shopping mall which has a myriad of shops and an extensive food court.Taxis are easily available from in front of the shopping mall.

Room Tip: Request a room on a high floor for stunning views of Abu Dhabi
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rahims111
misskay314
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

We loved our stay here in Grand Millennium. Our room was clean, spacious, comfortable and had free wi-fi. The staff was very helpful and courteous when we asked for extra blankets and towels. The hotel is also right next to the mall, which was good.

I would def recommend this to anyone going to Abu Dhabi. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Pulborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2011

Stayed at the Grand Millennium Al Wahda on a visit to this years Abu Dhabi Grand Prix- was disapointed at how far it was from the Yas Circuit but delighted to see that they were laying on shuttle buses every few hours.

The hotel was clean and pleasant and the staff were very helpful.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2011

Had booked a junior club suite for 4 nights over the Grand Prix weekend. Reception was very busy when we arrived but we were attended to promptly and taken off to our room. As we walked into our room, we were told it was a 2 bed apartment. As there was just 2 of us - we didn't need a second bedroom, nor did we intend to cook so didn't need a kitchen. I also noticed that we were on the 10th floor overlooking the hundreds of airconditioning units of the Al Wahda Mall. Having made our booking months earlier, we refused the room and returned to reception. Someone tried to tell us that we have been "upgraded" ! so we suggested that they upgrade someone else and find us our junior club suite. Although the hotel was full, they managed to find us a junior club suite in the hotel on the 27th floor which was good.

Breakfast was ample with very good attentive service. Food in buffet stations was a bit cold some mornings but choice of fruits & pastries was fine and coffee was good and plentiful. We didn't spend much time in the hotel as we were over at Yas Island for much of the weekend. (interestingly although the hotel knew we were in AD for the GP they never mentioned that there was a free hotel shuttle to Yas Island which another reviewer has referred to).

The club facility is a joke. Despite the fact that the website states that the club lounge offers hot & cold beverages," including wines, cocktails, and hors d'oeuvres". They don't. Why don't they remove this from their website? It is easy to do and totally misleading to leave that on. The hotel has no alcohol licence. We only ventured into the Club Lounge twice and found that food left out during the day was left over pastries from breakfast. On the last evening there was a small cheeseboard - but no plates, no knives. The coffee machine had no cups. Clearly they didn't expect anyone to use the facility - and unsurprisingly - noone was.

Our room was comfortable and quiet and our only niggle was that it took around 5mins for the water to run hot for the bath. It seemed to improve over the weekend when I assume the hotel was full and more guests were running water to rooms in higher floors.

Where the hotel completely fell apart however is with their concierge. The staff who work there are totally untrained and I don't think they understand the role of a concierge. We asked them to do 2 simple things for us and it took 3 follow up requests - and they still didn't bother. Each time we went to the desk or called them it was someone who had just come on to the desk and they assured me they would look in the concierge book and get back to me. Each time nothing happened. Please do NOT leave any pressing travel arrangements with the concierge desk as you would be better dealing with them yourself. In the end, I telephoned our travel agent in the UK - who dealt with our query and emailed me back within half an hour with a response - compared to the 4 requests over 48 hours to the concierge in Abu Dhabi which yielded nothing.

The location next to Al Wahda Mall was good in that there are always lots of taxis for the mall visitors and so it was quick and easy to get one.

Overall - this hotel was ok for our needs but I was completely appalled at the concierge desk. It is without doubt the worst concierge "service" I have ever encountered in any hotel in the world.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
washington dc
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2011

Cons:

- Water: the water heater/regulator doesn't work properly. The hot water is scalding, literally, and you can't keep a constant temperature in the shower. I turn it to a good temperature, 30 seconds later (without touching it) it get super hot, then I turn it a little colder and 30 seconds later it gets super cold. Yes, this is my daily shower experience in a "5-star" property.

- Concierge: Worthless. They know nothing about local football matches. They don't know that camel racing even exists in the UAE. They didn't know about either of 2 new malls that recently opened. I could keep going.

- Electricity: The hair dryer they supplied got so hot, it burned my wifes hair. I think it's just surges. It has burned out the batter in my laptop.

- Internet: Slow and not reliable. I think this is a UAE issue. But they also require you to log in daily. This is a pain, especially with the ipad. Why can't they do it weekly or for the entire length of the stay?

- Maids: They generally just pile stuff up. They don't really do any real cleaning. This is a problem if you are staying for a month or longer. They don't mop the kitchen and the shower smells like mildew.

- Security: They just added a security guard on every floor at the elevators. They just leer at you (especially women) as you walk out. When you return, your supposed to give them your room number in order to get by them. They have a list of everyone's name and room number with them. Sometimes they just leave it lying on the bench. Sometimes it's in their hand. Showing them your key is not enough. I guess they haven't considered having security on the ground floor as opposed to every floor in the hotel so you can feel uncomfortable every time you go to the elevator.

- do no disturb light: i guess this means please call my room and knock on my door, not do not disturb

- loyalty points: despite being told before reserving that my stay would be added to my loyalty points, they later told me that stays for a month or longer could not be added. Every other major hotel chain gives points for long stays. I guess it's okay because I'll never stay there again anyway.

pros:

gym: It is big and nice, but the allow the general public to buy memberships so it is often very crowded.

location

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank jww1999
M_Sorgenfrey, General Manager at Grand Millennium Al Wahda, responded to this review, 24 November 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during the last visit to Grand Millennium Al Wahda.

Your feedback is much appreciated to constantly benchmark ourselves and measure our service standards, to ensure that our guest’s expectations are met on each visit to the property.

As for your main feedback, we are in process to rectify the issue on the water heater regulator and all other concerns you had are currently looking into them to avoid recurrence.

We look forward having you back with us in the future.

Michael Sorgenfrey