“Very Impressive”

Paragon Hotel
Paragon Hotel
Ranked #102 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 19 April 2013

My visit to Abu Dhabi has always been wonderful. And, this time too, I was not disappointed with my new choice. I was in the city to negotiate with some new leads and booked this accommodation for three days. It really turned out to be a great choice. Luxuriously appointed rooms, amazing food and hard-working staff .... Everything is here. It is a perfect accommodation for all types of travelers. I would not hesitate in recommending this place to my other friends.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 29 March 2013

Due to a problem with another booking, was forced to book a hotel last minute ended up at the Paragon. On paper it looks o.k. but in reality it is very poor maintained. The room had electrical issues, main breaker blew two times, light bulbs were simply missing. No cable for internet access provided, no wireless in the room, phone to reception not working. I was forced to deposit 200 dirhams in cash for roomservice, putting down my credit card did not do the trick. Worst thing though: the bathroom was not cleaned properly, it was dusty, hairs on the floor and in the tub, dirt in the corners.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 February 2013 via mobile

Location: Cannot be more perfect as it is located close to the city centre. Minutes away from bustling Electra and Hamdan Street.

Service: This is quite a popular hotel amongst business and leisure traveller. Both perfect for solo and with family. Due to this factor. Checking in time is quite fast!

Room: Spacious and clean. Good matress and soft pillows.

Carpark: Available for those who drive but can be easily full during weekend.

Shopping: Walking distance to Madinat Zayed shopping mall.

Eat: Plenty of restaurants and cafes nearby. There's a cafe inside but just basic coffee, tea, some cakes and croissants but then plenty more options outside hotel.

Minus points:
Wifi internet only available at the lobby. Just ask reception for username and password. In the room, only available with cable connection

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 9 February 2013

And conviniently located, with a good sized room and quality bed, a small , indeed quite small with a minute shower. But the truly nice thing was that, when we arrived early morning after a long flight we were given the keys , which was great, so we had a good nap before facing the sight-seeeing day. And the girls at the receptions were, from then on, very helpful and nice. The only sore point is the breakfast, that not only is not cheap, but it was really poor quality ( I wonder if the uneatble croissant was maybe made with camel fat instead of butter?) and i took considerable time to be served , although we had chosen a simple continental one... so businessmen in a hurry, beware!

Room Tip: Don't bother to have breakfast!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2013

For the cost of the room the hotel is quite a decent 3 star hotel. Location is in the heart of Abu Dhabi and the rooms are neat and quiet. My experience with the staff was that they were always pleasant and assisted me where they could.
My only negative experience was an accidental call in the early hours of the morning from the reception desk, but accidents happen.

Overall a nice stay for a 3 star hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2012

The Paragon is a poorly maintained hotel but the worst thing about the hotel is the very poor customer service - the list of examples is too long. Also note that there is no wi-fi in the rooms (only in reception). It is not an expensive hotel, so I guess you get what you pay for to some degree.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Kiwiiny
Reviewed 20 December 2012

we previously staid here and had a great experience and staid again.

Good points:
1. location is great. we staid here as I am from Australia and my gf works in in Abu Dhabi. The Hotel is only a 10 min walk to her office and next to Madinet Zayed shopping centre and only a 5 minute taxi ride from the bus terminal where we arrived from Dubai. Buses and taxis are easy and cheap and you can go anywhere in the city on a bus for 2aed.
2. the room is nice, cozy and comfortable. we were lucky that we asked for a non-smoking room and actually got one.

Bad points:
1. one thing i hate about Abu Dhabi is they still dont care about the health effects of passive smoking and the foyer and corridors stink of cigarette smoke.
2. the state of customer service should have been obvious from the start. the customer service folder in the room was empty and the menu pages were upside down to the front cover lol! I took these down to show reception and they really didn't see a problem.
3. the worse part of this hotel is the customer service. its so bad, its laughable. here is what has happened:
- the first thing we noticed was how bad the smell of smoke was in the corridor of the 2nd floor and how dirty the carpet was. looks like it has never been cleaned. i actually watch one of the room service guys on his hands an knee scrubbing a patch of carpet rather than cleaning the entire carpet. i'm guessing this is not his fault, but management being cheap an not willing to maintain the hotel.
- when we unpacked we realized we had no remote control, no hand towels and no bath towel. we rang reception and they brought some up
- next day we noticed the curtain was torn and the toilet hose broken and turned off. when i turned it on it sprayed all over the bathroom. i contacted reception again and they sent maintenance up to repair the hose. obviously they knew about, as housekeeping use it to clean the toilet, but in stead of repairing it they just turn it off. i asked the maintenance guy to fix the curtain and he said that as we are only staying 1 night we dont need to but we were staying 5 nights and i expected it fixed.
- the next day i asked house keeping again to fix the curtain and later that night had to ask reception again to fixed the curtain. the guy finally turned up the following day after asking 3 times.
- the 2nd day housekeeping only gave us 1 towel! later that afernoon i asked housekeeping why they did not give us 2 towels, hand towel and bath mat. they would not answer but just gave us what i asked for.
- today they ring me after midday to ask why I had not checked out. I explained that I had told reception twice that i would be extending my stay and i was told yesterday it was ok. this was not updated in the system and the staff on reception today were not told.

If you dont mind extremely poor customer service, the rooms are very nice and location good.

I do not blame the stay so much as the Mangement. There is obviously something wrong with Management when it comes to ensuring carpets, curtains and facilities are absolutely clean and maintained and that rooms always have the basics like hand towels, bath towels, towels, remote controls and that staff are trained to respond to Customer's requests the first time.

Room Tip: you will enjoy this hotel if you ignore the stench of smoke in reception and corridors and dont mind...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple