“Very nice brand new hotel”

Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche
Ranked #9 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Dubai
“Very nice brand new hotel”
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Beautiful hotel with amazing decor. Rooms are very sophisticated and well laid out.
It would be fair to say that they are working through some teething problems, but the attention to your needs is never in question.
I note a few previous remarks about the 'attentive service'. Personally I think this is down to a real desire to differentiate themselves from the other hotels in Abu Dhabi competing for business, and that it is relatively quiet at the moment. When things settle down and all rooms are full, I'm sure it will be just right.
I will certainly stay again when in Abu Dhabi.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
PR_SofitelAbuDhabi, General Manager at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review; we are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay.

It would be my pleasure to share your compliments with the entire team at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche that made your stay enjoyable; your valued comments definitely boosts our morale to better our services and offer you the best.
I, along with the entire Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche team, look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Jean-Philippe Bittencourt,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I have been out of the middle east for three years and am now used to good North American service rather than overbearing middle eastern service so my comments are mostly about this. I hope management accepts this gift of feedback and turns a good hotel with annoying service into a great one ! This review is more management feedback I guess than it is for other travellers.

Comments on room

- room nice, moving wall to bathroom a very cool surprise, almost perfect design had you thought of one thing - how to lie in the bath and watch tv ? Had this been achieved by opening up the two rooms then it would have made so much more sense, opportunity lost I guess
- square toilet - the human anatomy is not shaped the same as the bowls which makes for uncomfortable sitting - looks nice but impractical
- bed comfortable and spacious
- storage drawers too small to be useful, echo the fire risk concern about the light in the hangers, if the door was left ajar and the light therefore left on then this could overheat - bad design needs rectified in my view
- linens, very nice
- great shower with rainforest or moving head gives options
- toiletries high quality

- oh my god work to do here - hugely overbearing with clearly too little to do
- whilst writing this review and the previous one three people have bothered me in my room - leave me alone please ! Two for the same thing, minibar which I haven' touched
- get minibar checks to happen during the day not in the evening bothering people
- check in, no you can't keep my passport for 15 mins, take the details you need now and give me it back
- hangers on around reception, please stop trying to grab my bag from me or walking me somewhere, direct me then leave me alone !
- stop leaving the tv on when turning down service, waste of electricity

Restaurant - this needs a section all on its own its so flawed in design and service

- if it's a buffet then stop offering people something they could have got themselves
- Drop the bill on the table rather than chasing people when they'be left already
- Egg service takes twice as long as it should
- Egg service chefs need to understand english
- stop bothering people, stand at the side and watch for who needs help rather than hang around them at the buffet or table - hugely annoying
- cut down the number of visible staff by half so they don't hang around you
- le cruset type serving dishes, no logical place to put the covers and not possible to hold if you have your plate in the other hand
- don't bring a basket of bread when bread is on the buffet
- coffee cafitierres, too much coffee being put in so too strong and poor quality so filters leak giving gritty coffee
- awkward for cold drinks - may look nice to have small bottles to pour from but just provide the same three or four chilled dispensers as other hotels that makes it easy for the user to get cold juice or water without having to wait for a waiter to bring it
- seriously stop asking me if I need anything, I am capable of asking if I do
- no way of making own toast, get the impression that clean inks in the restaurant is more important to management than being able to get what you need easily for breakfast
- Food is really good but is spoilt by poor ergonomics and annoying service
- lunch buffet really great food with same annoying service, just leave people along to enjoy it

I have found the service so overly fawning, yet inattentive when I actually need service and trying too hard that it has spoiled my stay here - my advice to other travellers is to stay elsewhere until the service here matches the decor. Other serious negative for me is honesty - should have made it totally clear that hotel was not serving alcohol on the website.

I was looking forward to some exemplary service and a great place, got the great place with shockingly bad service and was really disappointed. Three stars is generous, almost gave it a poor rating ! Take heed management please, your customers deserve better and will vote with their feet unless you dramatically change how your staff interact with customers.

Rob

3 Thank OmanRob
PR_SofitelAbuDhabi, General Manager at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Dear Guest,

We are glad that you enjoyed the quality of food and also the unique My Bed Concept. We are extremely thankful to you for your constructive feedback to help us improve in various aspects of our products and services being offered at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche.

With regards to your genuine concern regarding the lights fixture in the closet, please be rest assured that all safety measures were taken into consideration which was then certified by the concerned authorities to ensure we are in line with the safety prerequisites to avoid any fire hazards. Your safety and comfort is our first priority.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the time taken for validating the passport details into our system. You would appreciate the fact that as per UAE law to ensure the safety and security of others, it is mandatory for all hotels to process the passport details of each guest into the system which generally takes 15 minutes. However, we shall look into an alternate solution to smoothen the process.

We have introduced a new buffet concept at the restaurant where the waiters are encouraged to interact with the guests at a personal level. Although offering different options from the buffet to our guests while they dine with us is appreciated by most of them, we do understand and agree that we need to identify the exact need of the guests before offering them anything.

Our constant endeavor to create memorable experiences for our guests depends on your valuable feedback. Please continue to do send in your feedback at customer.service@sofitelabudhabicorniche.ae

Should you give us the opportunity, we look forward to welcoming you again at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche in the near future.

UK
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Info for local non-residents: No alcohol license yet. Will be 2 bars; pool bar on 8th floor open till 10pm. Jazz bar on 2nd floor open till 2am. No pub. Restaurants all open from sun 22nd Aprilbut without alcohol initially. See other reviews fot hotel stay feedback.

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank Thomo69
PR_SofitelAbuDhabi, General Manager at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Dear Guest,
We really appreciate your review. We are pleased to inform you that we have now received the liquor license, and most of our outlets just opened to welcome our guests. Thank you very much for choosing Sofitel for your stay in Abu Dhabi. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Rome, Italy
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I had the dubious honor of being the first platinum Le Club member to check in to this Sofitel in the first week it was open. Fortunately for me, this resulted in an upgrade from the luxury room I had reserved to the Suite.

On the good side, just imagine everything you would expect in a 5-star AD hotel, and you have it here, so I won't waste any typing on this.

On the "room for improvement" side, here are a few things you should be aware of:

1. They did not yet have a license for alcohol when I stayed there, so you could not order any drinks in the hotel, including with meals. There is no indication of this on the web site or when you make the reservation.

2. There were 200 employees and 40 guests in the week I stayed. This means that every time you walk in the front door, 10 people swarm on you like bees on honey. If you like this, OK. But I do not.

3. There was only one restaurant open, and it was buffet style. Great as far as buffets go, but buffet nonetheless.

4. The hotel is all the way on the east end of the corniche where nothing is happening. It is a 45-minute walk down to the other end of the corniche where there are people, restaurants, bike rentals, etc. The walk is nice (parks all the way) if you like to walk (I do). But you will need a taxi to get anywhere, especially once its starts getting hot.

5. The "free" wi-fi did not work from my suite. They even sent an IT guy up who was at least honest enough to tell me they were still working out some bugs (rather then telling me my laptop was the problem).

SO...if you are thinking about staying here, I recommend you call and ask if they can serve alcohol now, if the other restaurants are now open, and if the wi-fi problems are resolved. If the answer is "yes" to all three, then I highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Ask for the northwest corner so you can see all the way down the corniche.
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a comment about your experience in Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche. We appreciate every comment and value it for further improvement. We are delighted you appreciated the quality of the room and the buffet. Please be informed that we have been delivered our alcohol license, and were able to open most of our outlets recently, with full service. We dearly hope to welcome you again in near future.

Hong Kong
Reviewed 19 April 2012

This is a brand new hotel (recently opened), not that many guests yet but superb service (if a little too attentive because of not many travelers). A few comments:

Check-in and check-out: Smooth check-in and check-out. Overall helpful front desk service and concierge when I needed to find a nearby bank, pharmacy, etc.

Food: Breakfast at the lobby restaurant had a great selection. Came with free flow of fresh juices and coffee/tea (given in individual pots) and had Western, Arabic and Indian sections. They also had an on-site eggs station to whip up any omelette / Eggs Benedict / Eggs Norwegian you need. I tried some of the Arabic choices and they were great. Pastries were another plus point - delicious, warm, fluffy, buttery croissants and rolls.

Room: Nice, spacious room with work desk (comes with Free Wifi, no problems connecting), big comfortable bed, Arabian style lighting and lamps, a huge bathroom with toilet, bidet, huge wash basin area, shower area stocked with L'Occitane products (I loved their shower gel and shampoo!), separate shower and bath. Impeccable cleanliness. Nice touch as comes with bottles of mineral water. Only complaint if you want to be EXTREMELY picky is the closet is not very user friendly (most of the hanging area is occupied by a fluorescent lamp and wasnt comfortable with hanging my clothes on a hot fluorescent lamp). Otherwise has everything else you can imaginably need - coffee/tea maker with amazing selection of teas, well-located safe (unlike some hotels where the safe is at floor level and you have to stoop or kneel down to access it), huge full length mirror on the side of the bathroom.

Service: Service was great, polite, only gripe is a bit slow (but that tends to be a common problem in the Gulf area, guess have to get used to a slower and more patient pace of life =p)

Location: Not any particular comments about the location, it's easy to find, view is of the beach and Gulf, opposite the Sheraton Corniche (if ladies want to use their well-reputed salon/spa). My room was quiet. I had a driver so can't comment about ease of finding taxis.

Other tips: They have some new opening promotional offers now (including lobby restaurant is 30% off for lunch and dinner) so may be good for those wanting 5 star hotels but some savings! That said, not sure when the opening offers are till, so you may want to call in advance to check.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Globetrotting_HKer
Dear Guest,
We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche. It was satisfying to hear that the Kitchen team exceeded your expectations. They do their best to make sure that every guest feels special. We thank you for staying with us.
Awaiting to welcome you again at our premises.