“A Bit Of Comfort” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 130 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Cambridge
“A Bit Of Comfort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

We were in Abu Dhabi visiting family for an extended period of time and decided to take a break from family duties for a couple of days.

Having been to the Emirates on numerous occasions we knew the area and so decided to look for a hotel on the Corniche where we had stayed at the Sheraton before, the deal we were able to secure was via another web site and having booked and discovered that it was the Sofitel we were pleased with the outcome having stayed in Sofitels elsewhere.

The arrival welcome was excellent, staff at the door warm and helpful and the desk staff pleasant when dealing with the documentation, although being asked to leave a deposit for "any transactions" during our stay, and this was after having already paid for the room. I am used to being asked to leave a card imprints on arrival but this was a bit of a surprise.

The room was good for the class of hotel, a sea view with plenty of window area meant being able to sit and watch the scenery for a short while.

However although there were cups and a kettle, no tea or coffee was to be found anywhere, at first we put it down to the fact we were on a "special rate" but when we spoke to room service they were surprised and quickly rectified the problem.

Food, knowing the immediate area around the hotel we only ate in on one occasion (in Chill O) where the food was excellent even if the menu was a bit limited, here staff seemed fixated with our well being constantly checking that all was right, changing the colour of the table light, I counted four different people checking that all was well with us on that occasion.

The pool area is amazing and even better at night when the blue lights are switched on, people seemed to be able to swim quite late which in my view helps the atmosphere.

Overall it was a pleasant stay, people trying very hard to impress which given the amount of hotel building and the potential for over capacity you can understand the hotel wanting people to return and stay with them again.

Two other minor points, the information stated that the beds would be turned down between 18:and 21:00 this happened on the first night but not on the second, also the bathroom shelves were covered in dust. neither of these were a real problem for us. Am I being picky, no but for a hotel in a competitive area charging the standard room rate it could be an issue for others and yes I would stay there again.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PR_SofitelAbuDhabi, General Manager at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your nice review on Tripadvisor. I really appreciate you taking the time to tell me about your stay at thr hotel.

I would like to apologize for the lack of amenities in your room upon your arrival. Rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measure to ensure that this does not happen again. As a luxury hotel, this is not what we want our guests to experience.

I am glad that majority of your visit was excellent, I am pleased to know that you liked the room and the views. I hope that on your next trip, you will also try our other restaurants an the spa.

Thank you fo your support, I hope to see you again!

Nael El-Wary

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

This is a classy and comfortable and friendly hotel

the beds are wonderful and the sheets must be made from one million thread cotton - heaven
the design of the room is nice with several sliding doors around the bathroom that open it up to make it feel bigger, or close it to provide privacy

I asked for extra things eg pillow and sheet and they arrived freshly laundered very quickly
food is tasty - not cheap.... the lemon and mint drink on arrival is smashing, lots of help with luggage etc

the pool area is lovely, with a hot tub and warm pool - lots of people to attend to you but they don't get in the way, believe you can ask to have a massage by the pool if available

lifts are a bit irritating as for safety you need to use your key card to go up in them and they can take a while to arrive

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking cornishe and sea
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PR_SofitelAbuDhabi, General Manager at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your positive comment on Tripadvisor.

It is always a pleasure to receive good feedback, especially about the hotel and the Ambassadors. I am glad that you liked the hotel, the rooms and the amenities that we provide for guests. It is certainly encouraging to our Ambassadors to receive such comments, rest assured that it will be shared with them.

I appreciate your support and I look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche!

Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

Good location, fantastic breakfast although a bit expensive. Nice swimming pool, friendly staff. The only missing thing is a small shop for beverages, candies, newspapers, gifts etc.
Enjoyed shuttle bus to Marina Mall.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay. I am glad that you liked the restaurant and enjoyed breakfast.

I hope to see you again and I look forward to welcoming you back!

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

I stayed at Sofitel AD Corniche twice in May 2013, for 4 days on the way to Ireland and for 10 days on the way back to Australia. My experience of the hotel and its staff rated extremely highly. The rooms I experienced during my stays were in tip top condition and very comfortable. Staff were always courteous and friendly and definitely added to the experience. I will definitely stay with Sofitel again and look forward to another visit to AD in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind review on Tripadvisor.

It warms my heart to read comments from guests who have stayed with us multiple times. I appreciate your support and patronage to our hotel. I am glad that you liked everything and that our Ambassadors were able to make you feel welcome.

I hope that there will be a third visit and I look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche!

United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

Stayed for just one night and although I live nearby had never been to the Sofitel prior to this.

Check-in was quick but we were disappointed to be given a room on the 5th floor as we had hoped for a good view. That said the 5th guest floor is actually about the 10th floor as the floor numbering only starts with the bedroom floors. The room had a good view over the Corniche and out to see. The room was tastefully finished and a good size.

Tried the pool area which although not huge gets the late afternoon sun. The pool staff were very attentive and quickly laid out towels and handed out cool towels.

After a rest we had pre-dinner drinks back by the pool where there is a very pleasant bar on the terrace with views out to the gulf. There aren't very many options for dinner - a fish restaurant, Thai restaurant and an international buffet. We didn't feel like fish or Thai so ended up opting for the buffet. Despite comments on here we found the selection far from limited. Not an enormous buffet but all very fresh

After dinner we tried out the jazz bar which was fine but, as the whole of the Sofitel, was very quiet with only 10 or so other guests at 10pm on Friday night.

Overall I think the Sofitel is a good offering particularly suited to business travellers but also good for a short leisure break. Right outside the hotel you have the Corniche for evening strolls and behind the hotel is the central business district of AD. Taxis are plentiful and very cheap so will get you to most parts of town for USD 3-5.

I think what prevents the Sofitel being 5 out of 5 is the limited F&B options and with hindsight that is the reason, as expats living close by, we had never had reason to visit the Sofitel before.

Room Tip: high floors for the amazing views
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PR_SofitelAbuDhabi, General Manager at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comment on Tripadvisor.

I am glad that you liked the hotel, the room and the views of the Corniche. Chill'O, the pool bar is a great place to relax, I am pleased to know that you had a good time there.

We have a complimentary shuttle that will take guests to the beach and to Marina Mall. I hope that you'll take advantage of that on your next visit.

Thank you for your support and I hope to see you soon!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

Abu Dhabi appears to have a very good selection of high end properties offering reasonable rates. We selected the Sofitel as we would receive Elite Status benefits including a room upgrade and because they offered a very competitive pre paid rate with Club Millesime access.

Upon arrival, I was therefore disappointed that we did not receive a room upgrade. I was told that because we had requested twin beds, we had received the highest category of twin bed room available. The room itself was nice, although the twins were standard singles. However, the room was incredibly warm despite the air con being on. It was also an adjoining room (which is my hotel nightmare). The following day I raised this with the Club Millesime reception and at this point the Sofitel experience sprang into action. Within about an hour, we were in a new room. A one bed suite with views over the Corniche and a second bed provided in the living room. Although it was a short stay the change of room was certainly worth it and made up for the initial disappointment.

The Club Millesime was very good and particular thanks to Devendra and especially to Pamela who arranged our room change with minimum fuss and with lightning efficiency. Breakfast at the club lounge was good, as was the lunch service. However, the evening canopes were limited and there is scope for improvement here.

The hotel has a good pool. A nice size that was big enough to allow swimmers and those who just wanted to cool off to enjoy the pool at the same time. As other reviewers have commented, the pool does not get sun all day long but the water is warm and my personal preference would be to swim in the shade rather than direct sunlight and 38 degrees heat. The pool area can get a bit smokey with people smoking around the pool and guests enjoying Shisha in the bar area. As a non smoker I found this slightly unpleasant but that’s a personal thing. I generally used the pool first thing in the morning when it was quiet, which was perfect for me.

For the price paid we received excellent value. It’s a very good hotel in a good location with an excellent staff who really make this hotel stand out.

Room Tip: Try for a a sea view and suites are nice.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PR_SofitelAbuDhabi, General Manager at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche, responded to this review, 26 May 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell me about your stay at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche.

I sincerely apologize if you did not receive 5 star treatment upon your arrival, as a luxury hotel, this is not the service that we want our guests to receive. Rest assured that this will not happen again on your next. visit. I am glad that our Ambassadors at the Club Millesime was able to rectify the situation.

On another note, I see that you've enjoyed our pool area. I hope that on your next stay, you will be able to try our restaurants and the spa.

Thank you for your support and I look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche!

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

Very well managed hotel. Definitely 5 star status compared to other hotels in Abu Dhabi ie Hilton, Sheraton, Intercontinental which are clearly of a lower standard. Restaurants are of a high standard especially the Corniche All Day Dining restaurant which is managed diligently with food of an exceptional standard.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

I really appreciate all the kind words you wrote about the hotel and the restaurant. Rest assured that your comments will be shared with the team to serve as encouragement to our Ambassadors.

Thank you for your support and I hope to see you again!