“Almost perfect, but not quite”

Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche
Ranked #9 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
London
“Almost perfect, but not quite”
Reviewed 7 July 2013

In a great location, almost on the sea-front (but not quite), this 5* hotel has almost everything. The staff were great, friendly and helpful. The hotel itself was clean and smart. The rooms were clean and very well furnished and equipped. It's difficult to put my finger on why I don't feel this hotel rates as a 5 'tripadvisor blobs' hotel as opposed to a 4 (and I realise that being short on specifics doesn't make for a great review), but having stayed in other Sofitel's this one was just not quite as good somehow. Perhaps it was the feeling that everything was designed to engender a feeling of disconnectedness. The breakfast area has a large screen in front of it so it has no view of anything other than the breakfast area. The restaurants also felt a little isolated and hidden. This may be down to local customs, I guess, but it made the place feel slightly furtive. The large reception area and people milling around meant that talking to reception staff was done in hushed tones. The restaurants are good quality but expensive and there are cheaper and equal quality places for a bite nearby. The rooms are faultless though - nothing here to let the hotel down. The bed was very comfy, as were the pillows. Don't get me wrong, this hotel was not disappointing, just not quite up there with the very best.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
PR_SofitelAbuDhabi, General Manager at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor.

I apologize if we were not able to meet your expectations. As a luxury hotel, it is not our goal for our guests to leave us disappointed. It is sad to know that we have failed in giving you an exceptional experience.

Your comments have already been shared with the management team, I hope that you'll give us another chance to better serve you in the future.

Please accept my sincerest apologies, it would be my pleasure to welcome you back to Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche!

Nael El-Wary

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
South Molton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2013 via mobile

Was upgraded to a suite as an Accor gold card holder which was much appreciated and having arrived in the middle of the night I had dropped my phone in the cab. The staff were fantastic in retrieving it for me - with a bit of help from 'find my iPhone' . If u could criticise anything I guess you could say the pool is small because the hotel is on a fairly small footprint as is typical of more recent developments. As a business hotel it couldn't really be faulted.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank NeilRV
PR_SofitelAbuDhabi, General Manager at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche, responded to this review, 10 July 2013

Thank you for your kind review on Tripadvisor.

I am glad that you liked the hotel and our rooms. Our Ambassadors are trained to assist our guests in every way possible. On this occasion, I am happy to know that we were able to do so.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back!

Dudley
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Just got back from a fantastic stay at the Sofitel Abu Dhabi, nothing was too much trouble for the staff at the hotel.

Upon arrival we had our bags taken off us and a very friendly memeber of staff checked us in. We were given a cold flannel and a glass of refreshing juice. A porter then came with us to show us to our room, he showed us where everything was and explained about different things going on in the hotel.

The room was beautiful, the bathroom been the best feature it was so spacious, witha seperate bath tub, and shower cubicle. The beds were really comfy too!

The next morning we went down to breakfast it was amazing, so much choice and again the staff treated us like Royalty, they could not do enough for you.

We spent the afternoon by the pool, the pool attendent came over and put towels on the sunbeds for us, then later on in the day someone came round with cold flannels which was very refreshing. The pool bar was great the barman kept coming round to see if we wanted anything.

On the evening we visited the Jazz and fizz bar which was lovely, the waitress who was serving us advised that on Tuesday night it was ladies night and certain drinks were free for ladies, so the next night we went and it was great, I had cocktails and bubbly all for free, they had a dj playing in there as well it was a really good atmosphere.

All in all the hotel was great could not fault anything. I would return without a doubt and will be recommending it to people.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Traveller021985
PR_SofitelAbuDhabi, General Manager at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche, responded to this review, 9 July 2013

Thank you for your kind review on Tripadvisor.

I really appreciate all the nice comments that you wrote about the hotel. I am glad that you had a wonderful time with us. I will share your comments with the team, I am sure that this will serve as an encouragement to them as we strive to provide consistent quality service to our guests.

I am grateful for your support and I look forward to welcoming you back!

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We stayed overnight at this hotel and had a great time. Firstly, we checked in super early because we had a birthday party to get to. No problem: checked in and upgrated to suite because we had Accor Club membership. Room was very nice, interesting view over port area and over to Saadiyat Island etc (didn't need seaview as we live over the Corniche). Does Sofitel have a pillow menu? If we'd thought about it, we would have asked for less squishy ones.

We didn't dine there as we had another function to go to, but we had a great breakfast in the Exec Club the next morning. Service - including room service late at night - was great all round, the pool was lovely, will go back sometime again. Hope that the Thai restaurant opens after Ramadan for lunch during weekends - we were disappointed we didn't get to eat there this time.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review on Tripadvisor.

I appreciate you taking the time to tell me about your experience. I am glad that you liked the suite and the Club Millesime. I will share your comments about Silk 'n Spice with the management team.. But as of the moment, Silk 'n Spice is open for dinner everyday from 19:00 hours.

On your next visit, I hope you'll stay with us longer and try our other restaurants. Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back!

Pune
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I traveled to Abu Dhabhi earlier this month for a business visit and stayed at Sofitel for a night.
Hotel has an amazing lobby with lots of hustle and bustle. Was welcomed with a natural drink in the lobby while I was checking-in. I was put up in a room on the 5-floor. Room was surprisingly big as compared to the other five-star hotels I have stayed in Abu Dhabi. The wash room was clean and loaded with lots of bathroom accessories. Bed was very comfortable and had a peaceful night sleep.
Breakfast area on the ground floor is very large and having lots of things to offer. Staff in the restaurant was very friendly and helped recommend vegetarian food.

I would definitely like to stay in Sofitel when I visit Abu Dhabhi again !

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
PR_SofitelAbuDhabi, General Manager at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche, responded to this review, 7 July 2013

Thank you for your kind review on Tripadvisor.

I am glad that you liked the hotel, the rooms and the amenities that we have for guests. I hope that on your next visit, you'll stay a little bit longer and get to try the other restaurants in the hotel.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back!

Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We had dinner at the Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche restaurant and it was a very pleasant experience. The food variety was amazing, catering to all cuisines, the place was cozy, nice Italian and French music at the background and the staff was attentive and very helpful at the same time very friendly, tip: ask for Mark!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jaber A
PR_SofitelAbuDhabi, General Manager at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your nice review about Corniche, our All Day Dining Restaurant.

I am glad that you had a wonderful experience at the restaurant and that you liked the food. Rest assured that your comments will be shared with the team so as to serve as an inspiration and encouragement to them. I hope that you will try our other restaurants on your next visit.

I appreciate your support and I look forward to welcoming you back!