“Lovely hotel, indifferent service and staff. ” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche

Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche
Ranked #8 of 130 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Lee-on-the-Solent, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel, indifferent service and staff. ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for Eid break 6 nights 13-19 Oct 2013. The good points...
Booked a club room but was Upgraded to a prestige suite on arrival. Room was excellent, bed was fabulous, seating area great, bathroom spacious and well equipped, couldn't have asked for a nicer room.
The La Mer Seafood Restaurant and Silk and Spice Thai Restaurant are excellent, as are the restaurant staff.
Now the bad points...
The Club Miliseme lounge was very poor in general. Too small for a hotel this big, not enough seats, food was average and repetitive and the service was generally poor.
On numerous occasions we had to find a staff member to take our order for drinks as we were ignored most of the time. Cooked food was mostly cold or overcooked (hard poached eggs) Always have to ask for butter as none was ever put out on buffet counter.
Double standards on dress code, I wore tailored shorts (smart) on one occasion and was told to make sure I wore trousers next visit. Arabic guy wore shorts on several different occasions and was never told to change.
Other annoying points...
No daily paper as requested and part of room deal. Informed front desk. Still no daily paper!
No welcome drink on arrival, no food or fruit basket in room on arrival.

Pool area is just too small for such a large hotel. The pool itself is too shallow and quite cold. No sun until after about 3pm as pool is in shadow of skyscrapers all around. Nothing can be done I know, but annoying anyway.
The Pool menu is absolutely shockingly expensive and woefully inadequate. No snack foods like Nachos, Buffalo wings, crudités etc just a few salads and four main menu items, yes that's right FOUR. Just doesn't feel like a 5 * hotel pool area should.
Lifeguards and pool staff just not attentive enough. I'm not someone who demands this, that and the other, but making up your sunbed and being available to take your food or drink order is a standard 5* prerequisite surely.
In summary I would say the Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche is a great hotel but the indifferent service and some of the staff really let it down. We did speak to several different managers regarding our issues. Let's hope they take it on board. Oh and by the way, if a Sofitel manager does read this and responds, please deal with the fopoints made in this post, not the generic response you send to everyone else.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
PR_SofitelAbuDhabi, General Manager at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche, responded to this review, 20 October 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor.

Your feedback is very important to us, I highly appreciate you letting me know the areas that we need to improve on. I sincerely apologize if you felt that you were neglected during your stay. Rest assured that training and proper guidance will be given to our Ambassadors to ensure that this does not happen again.

With regards to the points that you have mentioned, all of them have been taken into account and escalated to the management team. I apologize once again and I hope that you'll give us another chance to better serve you.

Thank you for your time and I hope to see you back at the hotel!

Nael El-Wary

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

Very nice modern hotel. The perfect Sofitel Hotel. Huge room, great service, fantastic view and well located. Only the different building in constructions around the hotel are giving a negative touch to the hotel. The Spa has a wonderfull design. The sun shines on the Pool only in the afternoon.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Thank you for your kind review on Tripadvisor.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you liked the hotel. We do have a wonderful spa, I hope that you were able to try some of the treatments. I apologize if you weren't able to experience the sun by the pool, however, we do have a complimentary shuttle that will take you to the beach.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel!

Doha
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

Just returned from a two night break at Sofitel Abu Dhabi. We had a prestige suite which was simply stunning - the suite was massive, very clean and modern with stunning views of the corniche, great furniture and a gorgeous bathroom area. We travelled with our 3 year old daughter so the space was fabulous for us as a family. We had club room access which was also fabulous. The service was impeccable and the range of daytime snacks and drinks was more than you could need.
We did however encounter a couple of issues - which in terms of the stay were relatively minor but disappointing no less. We had specifically booked a suite with club access as we have a 3 year old and felt that this would work for us not only for the space but also in the evenings as we could eat out through the day and enjoy some early evening snacks and a drink together prior to our daughter going to bed. However we were not informed either when we booked, or at check in that we would not be allowed to enter the club room after 5pm with our daughter. In fact at check in, with our daughter present, 2 different staff members told us that cocktails and snacks would be available from 5pm. It was only when we tried to enter around 7pm that we were turned away which was slightly embarrassing. We then asked if we could therefore have items delivered to our room and were told no. We ended up having to order and pay for room service, despite having paid for full club access in our room rate (or one of us sit in the room and the other in the club lounge on our own). There is a baby sitting service available (which we are not sure we would have used) but the terms state you need to allow 24 hours notice so by the time we discovered this it was too late to even book it four our 2nd (and final) nights stay. This was very disappointing on two counts - 1. I feel we were slightly mis-informed at check in and 2. we ended up having to purchase room service items in the evening we had not anticipated.
We have stayed in quite a few club rooms around the world and recall many where children are included - even if sitting in a separate area (which I have no issue with at all). we have also been allowed the facility of having items from the club room in our rooms which, when we paid for the privilege does not seem an unreasonable request to me rather than paying 5 star prices again to have a drink in your room. I have fed this back through the hotels website but as yet no-one has responded
The second point, which is minor, is the lifts in the building. There are 36 floors and only 4 lifts available. We stayed during Eid so the hotel was very full. The lifts therefore could be extremely slow. They also operate on a system where you place your card against a scanner before selecting your floor. This often resulted in the lifts seemingly going up and down before they got to your own floor. When we went to check out - we tried to access the top floor to check out at the club lounge. However the lifts were locked down and we could not go anywhere. This delayed us by about 10 minutes. We we therefore about 2 or 3 minutes past midday check out when we finally got a lift by which point our card access was cut and the only option to us was main reception on the ground floor which was extremely busy with arrivals and check outs throughout the hotel and we had to queue for a long time for assistance - making our departure about half an hour later than planned which would not have been good had we been rushing for our flight.
Apologies for length of feedback - Although extremely disappointed at effectively paying twice for evening drinks/ snacks we would still definitely like to return to the hotel. Although we will reconsider paying the rate for a club room if we are not going to be allowed either access or substitute in-room facility/ credit. I wanted to point this out as I know of many couples with children who would use this option as not everyone would be comfortable with leaving very young children in the care of an unknown babysitter or indeed want to take it in turns to sit on their own in a club room (which is the offer that was made to us). I would have given this hotel 5 stars if they had offered up a solution to this (or even a pro-rata discounted rate on the club)

Room Tip: The floors that the suites are on have stunning views and the rooms are fabulous
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Helen M
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor.

Your feedback is very important to us, I appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience. I sincerely apologize if your stay was not up to your expectations. Rest assured that proper communication will be implemented from now on to ensure that this situation doesn't happen again.

I apologize once again and I hope that you will give us another chance to better serve you. Thank you for your time and I look forward to welcomig you back to the hotel!

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

Me & my family had a great time in the hotel we feel like it's " our house" . Room was spacious with modern design and corniche view . Staff were very helpful. For sure we will back to this hotel a gain and i recommend it to people will visit Abu Dhabi.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PR_SofitelAbuDhabi, General Manager at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche, responded to this review, 19 October 2013

Thank you for your kind review on Tripadvisor.

I am glad that you had a wonderful time with us and our Ambassadors were able to make you feel at home. On your next trip to Abu Dhabi, I hope you'll stay with us once more and try the restaurants at the hotel.

I am grateful for your support and I look forward to welcoming you back!

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Central location, contemporary design, stylish comfortable rooms, clean facilities, helpful and cooperative staff are the highlights of this gem of a hotel.

Pamela, the head butler was very nice and helpful. Devender in the executive lounge was very caring. He made special masala tea for me and my wife. John in the concierge was very helpful in recommending the right outing for my family. And so many others whose names I don't recall were all very nice.

Two thumbs up!

• Stayed October 2013

Thank you for your kind review on Tripadvisor.

I am glad that our Ambassadors were able to make your stay enjoyable. As a luxury hotel, I am glad that everything exceeded your expectations. I hope that you'll stay with us again on your next trip to Abu Dhabi.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back!