“Terrific Hotel, terrible Accor payment control”

Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche
Ranked #8 of 127 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Florianopolis, SC
“Terrific Hotel, terrible Accor payment control”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I had no doubt I was going to rate exelent for Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche. It is easily one of the best Hotels I have stayed in my life. The room was incredible, spacious and the service was formidable untill the check out time. This was the second time I had problems with Accor in two days, first in Dubai and then in Abu Dhabi. Somehow even after paying the room
during early booking (no cancel, no change rate) a month before, the receptionist charged me again for my staying. I was in a rush on my way to the aiport and, after a long time discussing in Dubai a day earlier, I told straigh away to swipe my credit card because I did not want to go for that again. The receptionist insisted I wait until he checks if the room had already been paid but it was taking too long. Deja vu, exatcly the same of Dubai, the receptionist came to my car when I was leaving and apologized for their mistake.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank crsbrz
PR_SofitelAbuDhabi, General Manager at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche, responded to this review, 4 November 2013

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused at check-out. Rest assured that we have already addressed the issue and we are doing the necessary measures to ensure that this does not happen again.

I hope that you'll give us another chance to better serve you. Thank you once again and I look forward to seeing you again!

Nael El-Wary

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Alqassim
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Nice and quiet hotel and luxury.
This is the fourth time that I live in this chain of hotels
Every time I wish to return to it again.
I would advise everyone in this experiment Believe me, you will enjoy
Great cuisine and beverages and delicious.
Worth five starlets.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank MALMUTLAQ

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

I appreciate all the kind words that you wrote about the hotel, especially about our food. I will share your comments with the team so as to further encourage them.

I am grateful for your support, I look forward to welcoming you back!

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Hotel was not particularly welcoming. What 5 star hotel has only 21 sun beds by the pool? Executive lounge and food disappointing. Service poor. All we anted was a relaxing few days, time to chill by the pool. We had no choice but to use the beach. This was my first stay at this hotel and the last. Beds although comfortable were small. Much better hotels in the area for relaxation. Would be ok for business.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
PR_SofitelAbuDhabi, General Manager at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche, responded to this review, 24 October 2013

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

I apologize if your stay did not reach your expectations, we are surrounded by buildings and we have limited space, and sunlight available. I am glad that at least, you were able to have the beach experience in Abu Dhabi.

I hope that you'll give us the chance to better serve you, thank you once again and I hope to see you again!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stayed three nights in Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche It was extremely enjoyable - staff were very helpful and provided excellent service. Highly recommended. Very good location - enjoyable walks in the evening

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
PR_SofitelAbuDhabi, General Manager at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind review on Tripadvisor.

I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us, albeit it was a short one. Hopefully you'll stay with us a little bit longer next time so that you can experience Abu Dhabi more.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back!

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

Went to this hotel based on reviews on this site and was disappointed.

Finding the entrance to the hotel was a nightmare: there wasn't one sign anywhere and local GPS doesn't pick up the hotel by name (we live in Dubai).

Check in took far too long, was really long winded. A hotel this big with only three check in desks seems ridiculous.

Paying to use the Club Lounge cost the same as upgrading to a bigger room: this seems steep compared to other 5/6 star hotels we've stayed in.

Bed: mattress protector made it impossible to sleep without rolling to the edge of the mattress, because it 'domed' in the middle.

We enquirer at Reception about evening dining options and it was like pulling teeth. At no point were we advised to pre-book a table. When we arrived at the Silk & Spice Thai restaurant at 1930, every single non smoking table was empty, but reserved. We were forced to take our celebratory anniversary meal to the fish restaurant La Mer, which we found to be over priced and the food pretty average. The staff themselves however, were very professional, charming and helpful.

TV: channel 60 (MTV), wasn't working properly; the audio was out of sync with the pictures.

Sea room view: we overlooked the road, the Sheraton beach lagoon, a building site, and the sea.

The pool: is SO small. We went there at 1500 and it was overrun with children and doesn't even get the sun on it.

We won't be returning to this hotel and I am glad that we only paid for it via a Groupon deal.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
PR_SofitelAbuDhabi, General Manager at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche, responded to this review, 21 October 2013

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

I sincerely apologize if your stay with us did not meet your expectations. Your feedback is very important, I appreciate you letting me know which areas we need to improve on. Training on proper communication will be implemented so as to ensure that this does not happen again.

I hope that you will give us one more chance to serve you better. Thank you for your time and I hope to see you again.

Lee-on-the-Solent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for Eid break 6 nights 13-19 Oct 2013. The good points...
Booked a club room but was Upgraded to a prestige suite on arrival. Room was excellent, bed was fabulous, seating area great, bathroom spacious and well equipped, couldn't have asked for a nicer room.
The La Mer Seafood Restaurant and Silk and Spice Thai Restaurant are excellent, as are the restaurant staff.
Now the bad points...
The Club Miliseme lounge was very poor in general. Too small for a hotel this big, not enough seats, food was average and repetitive and the service was generally poor.
On numerous occasions we had to find a staff member to take our order for drinks as we were ignored most of the time. Cooked food was mostly cold or overcooked (hard poached eggs) Always have to ask for butter as none was ever put out on buffet counter.
Double standards on dress code, I wore tailored shorts (smart) on one occasion and was told to make sure I wore trousers next visit. Arabic guy wore shorts on several different occasions and was never told to change.
Other annoying points...
No daily paper as requested and part of room deal. Informed front desk. Still no daily paper!
No welcome drink on arrival, no food or fruit basket in room on arrival.

Pool area is just too small for such a large hotel. The pool itself is too shallow and quite cold. No sun until after about 3pm as pool is in shadow of skyscrapers all around. Nothing can be done I know, but annoying anyway.
The Pool menu is absolutely shockingly expensive and woefully inadequate. No snack foods like Nachos, Buffalo wings, crudités etc just a few salads and four main menu items, yes that's right FOUR. Just doesn't feel like a 5 * hotel pool area should.
Lifeguards and pool staff just not attentive enough. I'm not someone who demands this, that and the other, but making up your sunbed and being available to take your food or drink order is a standard 5* prerequisite surely.
In summary I would say the Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche is a great hotel but the indifferent service and some of the staff really let it down. We did speak to several different managers regarding our issues. Let's hope they take it on board. Oh and by the way, if a Sofitel manager does read this and responds, please deal with the fopoints made in this post, not the generic response you send to everyone else.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
PR_SofitelAbuDhabi, General Manager at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche, responded to this review, 20 October 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor.

Your feedback is very important to us, I highly appreciate you letting me know the areas that we need to improve on. I sincerely apologize if you felt that you were neglected during your stay. Rest assured that training and proper guidance will be given to our Ambassadors to ensure that this does not happen again.

With regards to the points that you have mentioned, all of them have been taken into account and escalated to the management team. I apologize once again and I hope that you'll give us another chance to better serve you.

Thank you for your time and I hope to see you back at the hotel!

Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Very nice modern hotel. The perfect Sofitel Hotel. Huge room, great service, fantastic view and well located. Only the different building in constructions around the hotel are giving a negative touch to the hotel. The Spa has a wonderfull design. The sun shines on the Pool only in the afternoon.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind review on Tripadvisor.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you liked the hotel. We do have a wonderful spa, I hope that you were able to try some of the treatments. I apologize if you weren't able to experience the sun by the pool, however, we do have a complimentary shuttle that will take you to the beach.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel!