“An oasis”

Ranked #9 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Melbourne, Australia
“An oasis”
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Thankyou to all the staff especially Mark in the club for a wonderful experience. The millesium club experience was very special from breakfast in the morning to drinks at night. The pool area is an oasis where you can try some special ice teas served poolside. The pool is not in the sun so is able to be used any time of the day. The food in the restaurants at Le Mer and silk and Spice were excellent. As a matter of fact far too much food to finish at Silk and Spice. The staff in all areas were very accomodating to our needs. Thankyou for being the oasis on our hot stopover.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the use of the club.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Bernie876
PR_SofitelAbuDhabi, General Manager at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your magnifique experience with us.

It is always a great motivation and recognition for our teams to hear about guest satisfaction which is our main goal. Certainly, it will be shared to the management and staff especially to Mark. I am happy also to know that you enjoyed your dining experience at La Mer Restaurant and Silk & Spice Thai Restaurant.

We dearly hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Nael El Wary

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 2 September 2014

The Hotel was really Good.. love to stay again in this hotel. It was very peaceful and relaxing.
The food and staff's are all great, very accommodating. The swimming pool is very wide and very clean. Room is very neat and clean.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mutzmark
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche. I am glad that you found our hotel a peaceful and relaxing place to stay. It also gives me great pride to know that our staffs are commended for their warm hospitality.

It will be a great motivation for the team to hear about your satisfaction and I will definitely share your feedback.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We experienced the worstest checkin procedure ever for this morning arrival (approx 7am). On arrival, we were asked to sit down in the lobby area for a moment, that the reservation can be prepared. After 30 minutes of waiting, without any welcome drinks or just plain water (after arriving from a longhaul flight) we returned to the reception for further information. They told, that last night was fully booked and no rooms are available. Anyway several hotel booking machines should wide availability on rooms. Further on, already some guests did there checkout, however the cleaning staff will start its work at 8am, that means there is no room available before 10am. At 0930am she said, the room is still uncleaned, may its ready for checkin at 10am or maybe later at 11am. How long does it take to clean a room at Sofitel hotels? Reception staff is absolutely not guest related and very unfriendly! After 3,5h another colleague asked if we like to order something to drink.

Rooms are available since 7am, cleaning is in progress since 8am, but still waiting in the lobby at 1030am. Finally the room was ready at 1040am.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank highlifetravel2014
PR_SofitelAbuDhabi, General Manager at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche, responded to this review, 7 September 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your honest feedback. Please allow me to express my deepest apologies for the manner in which you were handled by our Front Desk. I know that the incident that you have experienced must have been very unpleasant for you.

In order to investigate further, I would highly appreciate if you can please provide us your mobile no. at h7507-am@sofitel.com. We would also like to personally get in touch with you and rest assured that this will not happen again in the future.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope that you will give us another opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Food was good. delicious. we all enjoyed a lot !
Location is perfect. it is near to the corniche.. near to abu dhabi mall. All these make the hotel a preferred place to live and dine alongwith my friends.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank mohsin k
PR_SofitelAbuDhabi, General Manager at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for considering the hotel as a “fantastic place”. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and your experience is truly magnifique.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Although I'm a dedicated Starwood Hotels fan, I chose to stay at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche for a Gulf getaway with a close friend based on a great rate for a club-level room.

LOCATION: The hotel is part of Capital Plaza, a massive five-tower complex housing residences and offices. It sits directly on the Corniche with sea frontage next to the Sheraton Resort and the Porsche dealership. Since I drove to the hotel from Dubai, I wasn't able to comment on the hotel's distance to/from Abu Dhabi International Airport [AUH] but it's about an hour and fifteen minutes from Dubai International [DXB] and twenty minutes away from the sights of Yas Island [Ferrari World, the F1 track and Viceroy Hotel] and the magnificent Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque. Local malls like Marina Mall, Al Wahda Mall, Abu Dhabi Mall and The Galleria are all within ten minutes away.

ENTRANCE/LOBBY: The hotel has a large driveway and porte cochere and a spacious, contemporary lobby decorated in black and white. Three reception desks to the left of the main entrance handle check-in/out and visitor inquiries. I arrived at midnight and the check-in process took under ten minutes.

ROOMS: All room floors are only accessible from the lobby with a swipe of your keycard on a card reader in the elevators, affording that extra bit of privacy and security from the outside.

I booked a club-level room and requested a sea view upon check-in, so I was happy that 2603 fit the bill. The rooms were just as advertised on the website; nothing dramatically spacious but with enough room for two people to move about and get comfortable.

The bedroom had two of Sofitel's patented MyBeds - ultra-fluffy yet firm single beds with two fat pillows - two chairs, a desk with chair and decent closet space. The color scheme was black and white and very clean, with the room being in good condition as the hotel is relatively new. A Bose SoundDock was a welcome addition.

The bathroom was a special feature I was looking forward to. There are two sliding doors that essentially open up the bedroom and bathroom zones into one large, flowing space but with the ability to close it up should privacy be needed. A bathtub, lovely shower stall with four showerheads and a handheld wand, Lanvin-branded toiletries, single vanity with ample counter space and a separate water closet with bidet and toilet were all standard issue. One niggle I had with the bathroom was the lack of a handheld hose in the water closet; I was surprised not to find one seeing as these are commonplace in the Middle East and would have willingly given the bidet up for one.

Importantly, wi-fi was free in the rooms and the speed was very good.

FOOD/BEVERAGE: As a Club Millésime guest, my friend and I had access to a dedicated lounge facility on the 36th floor that we exclusively ate at. Benefits to club guests include breakfast, afternoon snacks, evening pastries, a happy hour beverage service between 5:30 PM and 7:30 PM and night nibbles.

Their breakfast spread was very commendable, with your usual assortment of cereals, cold cuts, dairy products [cheese, yogurts] and hot offerings [baked beans, roasted potatoes]. A particular standout was their egg menu; rather than having a pot of scrambled eggs you'd commonly find, every table had a menu with fresh-to-order options including three variations of Eggs Benedict, omelettes and French toast. I took advantage of this delightful service throughout my stay but on one morning, the eggs I was given were freezing, as if they had been ordered by someone before me and cancelled then given over to me.

The evening snack options were a little paltry in comparison to breakfast as there were very few options. The lounge was also very dimly lit in the evenings and created a dark space.

These issues aside, the food was of high quality and was well-prepared.

LEISURE: Although a spa and fitness center are available, I only used the pool deck on Podium level 8. Despite being of a decent size and having a depth of about 1.6 meters, the pool is almost always in the shade due to being surrounded by the five towers of Capital Plaza [each between thirty to fifty floors high]. This made the water very cold to swim in and didn't offer decent sunbathing and tanning options, although the sun does curl around the buildings around 3 PM and gives some tanning possibilities on parts of the pool deck.

The concierge apparently offers a complimentary shuttle service to and from a nearby public beach but that was not a service we took advantage of.

FACILITIES: The hotel has all the normal services expected of a five-star hotel including business center, meeting facilities that saw frequent use during our stay and dining options. One of the bars on P2 was a booming, packed space that had an odd and - this being the UAE - potentially unpleasant crowd mix...

SERVICE: I was expecting excellent service from this hotel but only found it to be spotty at best. Check-in was fast and easy, the Club staff were efficient but room service staff were slow and I had a few key issues during my stay:

- I mentioned that this stay was a special occasion for my staying friend and I on the hotel's online reservation form and when we arrived, this was not acknowledged nor were we given anything to honor this, be it chocolates, a cake, champagne or upgrade. Other hotels on the same level always manage to include some sort of gesture but clearly this hotel missed out on this valuable detail.
- I asked one of the hotel staff members to provide me with a few grocery store options and he promised to return within ten minutes. A few phone calls later and now after my stay, I have yet to hear from him.
- The Club lounge has a dress code where guests are requested not to wear shorts or flip-flops. I conformed to this dress code on every occasion but once, when I wore shorts and passed by a friend to say hello and was promptly asked to leave by a staff member due to my infracting the dress code. Of interesting note were other male guests besides me who were not only in shorts, but were wearing sandals, slippers and flip-flops while I was wearing loafers. Why was I asked to leave but other guests were clearly allowed to stay?
- My friend broke a glass in the bathroom near one of the two bathroom doors one night and I called a housekeeping representative to clean the area. When I woke up the following morning and entered the bathroom, a shard of glass near the other door embedded itself into my foot and I wound up leaving several large spots of red DNA all over the floor. This was indicative that the representative did not do a thorough enough job cleaning up something hazardous like this.
- Check-out was a nightmare. All three desks were occupied by guests and there were several staff members attending to the same guest[s]. I stood in line for a half hour before I was even approached and asked if I needed anything, and even then I was made to stand on a corner of the desk overlooking the receptionist's screen while two other staff members were dealing with another guest. A simple "may I help you?" or acknowledgment from a passing staff member would have been nice while I stood in line; also, having three staff members serving one guest is disproportionate and leaves other waiting guests underserved.

OVERALL: Though the hotel is a decent product, I feel like the service was somewhat disappointing and lacking given the hotel's caliber and as a result, I will most likely give other hotels in the area a try as Abu Dhabi offers a wide variety of options.

Room Tip: Get a sea-view room on one of the higher/club floors.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Khaled B
PR_SofitelAbuDhabi, General Manager at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche, responded to this review, 11 September 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your honest and well detailed review. We always welcome not just positive feedback but also constructive comments which will be very helpful in the continuous improvements of our product and services. Please allow me to express my deepest apologies for the inconveniences that you experienced and we understand your frustration as we failed to provide you with the degree of service you expected from Sofitel.

Please be assured that your observations have been taken on board and addressed to the concerned Department Heads, a review of the relevant processes has been undertaken and the necessary corrective measures and actions have been implemented to avoid any recurrence of such issues.

Once again, we highly appreciate sharing your feedback and we hope that you will give as another opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Should business or pleasure brings you back to Abu Dhabi, please do not hesitate to personally contact me at h7507-gm@sofitel.com, I would be pleased to have the opportunity to speak with you directly.

Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 26 August 2014

My husband and I and friends, had an amazing experience in that hotel. Breakfast terrific! Pool with the an amazing waiters team! Avinash was our favorite waiter! I'm sure we will go back! Room absolutely clean and very comfortable. Amazing staff. Restaurants and bar perfects.

Room Tip: ask for higher floor.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LudmilaRohr
Dear Valued Guest,

Nothing makes us happy than to know that our guest had an amazing experience at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche. Thank you for sharing your experience and we are truly glad to hear that you were satisfied with your overall stay.

Your kind feedback will be definitely shared to the whole team especially to Avinash, who is very consistent in providing an exceptional service to our guest.

We dearly hope to welcome you back again in the near future.