“Vertical Wine Bar”

Ranked #53 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
UAE
“Vertical Wine Bar”
Reviewed 22 October 2012

We went to the Vertical Wine Bar at Cristal Salam last Thursday night,we were 11 of us and had set up 2 tables on the upper level,which is in a corner right next to the bar :). The tables had privacy and there was always someone ready to take our orders.The place is unique with a good range of wines(my shiraz was good) and spirits. You can sit on the upper level if you have a private group or mingle with others on the ground level.
They brought different types of cheese with our drinks which were very good.
I had salmon for dinner which again was good and cooked to perfection.
Overall we had a good time.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ReneUae

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Arabic first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 October 2012

What a fantastic hotel, staff, suite and overall stay!

I was in Abu Dhabi for 3 weeks on a consulting job. The client made the hotel reservation directly at Cristal Abu Dhabi (another Cristal hotel). I immediately checked the TripAdvisors reviews, which ranked the Cristal Abu Dhabi as #5 and the Cristal Salam as #3, both with 4.5 stars each. As such, I had high expectations.

The Cristal Abu Dhabi was not really my type of hotel (for once, it does not have liquor license), – see my review separately – so I went to visit the Cristal Salam.

When I arrived at the hotel, I was immediately greeted by the food and beverage manager, Bassel. He toured personally the full hotel with me, showing me all the rooms, which were much better than at the Cristal Abu Dhabi. In fact, the hotel surroundings is also better. Bassel even offered to help me make the move. As you can expect, I moved.

To make the story short, my high expectations were highly surpassed. This is rare, considering that I travel all the time around the world and I know lots of hotels.

The hotel is not on the beach (Corniche), is not big (only 12 floors) and does not have big amenities (the swimming pool and the gym are relatively small). But what it lacks on that front compared to big brands, is highly compensated with a beyond fantastic staff and personalized attention.

Let’s begin with the facilities. This is a new modern hotel, run by Cristal Hospitality. It has standard rooms and also suites. My client reserved a suite, which had 67 square meters (big!), and included two baths (actually a bath and a half), a big bedroom and a big living room. All rooms faced the street with big windows and great views. The bathroom was also big, and included a tub and a separate shower room. The décor of the room was impeccable. On the top floor, the hotel has a two-level wine bar called Vertical, with private dining rooms, which carries an incredible variety of wines and spirits. The food there is phenomenal, although at the time of my visit the menu was somehow limited. But they were in the process of expanding it. Next to the bar is a small swimming pool, with an open ceiling (not really an outdoor pool). The hotel also has a small gym, but complete, a coffee shop on the lobby and a full restaurant in the 2nd floor, which offers buffet breakfasts in the morning. Finally, the hotel has free valet parking and wifi internet.

Up to here, the experience would have been very good. But when you factor in the staff, the experience got exponentially better, reaching outstanding levels. First of all, everyone introduced him/herself and were extremely courteous on a consistent basis. In general, I was greeted by name every time I entered the hotel. I really felt at home. The assistant manager, Noaman, was amazing.

As I rented a car, every morning I called to get my car ready. As soon as I was out, the car was waiting for me, with the engine started and already warm. When I returned from work, the valet guys were literally running out of the hotel to park the car for me. In particular, I would like to highlight Washanta. What a magnificent employee!. And Pradip and Ron were also as attentive. As soon as I showed at the door, Noaman always greeted me with “Hola Fernando” (Hello in Spanish), as he knew I speak Spanish.

Finally, I really have to mention all the girls at the Vertical. What an attentive staff! The times that went by myself to the bar to have a glass of wine, all of them treated me as a friend and made me feel at home.

Although I am mentioning only some staff members, which maybe interacted more with me, I want to highlight that EVERY SINGLE EMPLOYEE was consistently friendly and attentive.

Truthfully, if I could put this hotel more than 5 stars, I would.

Congratulations to management for having found the recipe of excellent hospitality!

Room Tip: Get the suite
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Fernando-Botargues
Kamal F, General Manager at Ramada Abu Dhabi Downtown, responded to this review, 20 October 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your views on our "little gem," as I often refer to it myself.

Little sometimes has it's advantages. We are indeed small. But then that allows us to provide the attentive, & personalised service that has helped us to our current #3 rating on this well known website.
You also compared us favourably with the bigger international brands. We are a young, & a growing brand, & thus perhaps have to work that much harder than our colleagues in more established ones?
You have clearly pointed out our main asset to be our people. Yes, I am blessed with great teams at both the Cristal Hotels in the city, & we are getting stronger by the day!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2012 via mobile

From the moment you arrive it's clear the staff want to make your stay perfect. They cannot do enough for you from opening doors and sincere friendly greetings to achieving anything you require.

Great location with 10 min taxi to Corniche Beach and plenty of malls and hotels (where bars are situated) nearby.

Hotel has a contemporary look and is well appointed. The pool area is fairly small and some areas in shade but this seems typical of AD hotel pools.

A great stay that I would highly recommend.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the encouraging feedback, & I'll share a few facts that will make your stay, & those who stay with us in the near future even more "perfect."

You mention our great location, & the fact that we are located close to malls & hotels that have bars. Not sure if you were aware that we have one of the nicest bars in town at our rooftop- "VERTICAL." It is Abu Dhabi's only wine bar, & has a great vibe & boasts over 200 labels of wine. And for those like me who prefer other beverages, well, we have a variety of spirits & beers on offer too!

In addition, we will be the first hotel in the city to have a Korean restaurant & Karoake rooms when we open "SURA" in early November. And we have a cosy bar attached to this facility too.

We will continue to work hard to make the stays of our guests, "perfect."

So do come back & stay with us soon!

Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 6 October 2012

We originally needed to stay one-night but extended and stayed 2 because we really loved the Topaz suite. We recommend upgrading and you will experience a sumptuous, luxury 5-star service and great customer service by all the staff. They really want to make your feel welcome and their smiles are genuine!

We loved the signature dishes recommended by the chef and didn't even look at the menu - very attentive and passionate staff in the restaurant. We had cocktails in the roof-top 'Vertical' bar and ordered there. The chef insisted we not move and our dinner was brought to us perfectly prepared and delicious.Wines to accompany the meal were also recommended and served perfectly by staff who love to talk with you. Putting customers first always!

We will stay again and will recommend to business contacts, family and friends. A fantastic new hotel to stay in Abu Dhabi! Well done Cristal...we can't wait until you open in Dubai!

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade and stay in a Topaz Suite to enjoy 5-star service!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Norman R
Kamal F, General Manager at Ramada Abu Dhabi Downtown, responded to this review, 13 October 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with very encouraging feedback.

You noticed our genuine smiles, guest first attitude, great tasting food & wine @ VERTICAL , & the comfort & space ( 56 sqm) of our Topaz Suites.

And yes, I'd rather be a 4* hotel providing 5* service, than the other way around!
You, as a customer, clearly stand to gain great value whilst staying at either of our Cristal Hotels in Abu Dhabi, & upcoming ones in the region, & hopefully soon in Dubai too!

Shailer Park, Australia
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Comfortable room, Friendly service. Easy walk to the Abu Dhabi Mall. The bed and pillows were the best we slept on over 5 weeks of touring Ireland England Scotland and here. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Kamal F, General Manager at Ramada Abu Dhabi Downtown, responded to this review, 8 October 2012

Greetings!

Thank you for your good comments. We are glad to know that you had a comfortable stay at Cristal Salam Hotel. As you have been in different places and experienced almost the best of everything, it gives us so much pride being recognized by you. We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Cristal Hotel sometime in the near future, and please try Sura, one of the finest Korean restaurants in Abu Dhabi.

Sarah Argañosa
Sales Coordinator
Cristal Hotels, Abu Dhabi
Paraparaumu, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 October 2012

We had the most wonderful three days at the Cristal Salam. You are welcomed warmly and made to feel as you are special all the time. Excellent room with the most comfortable bed I have ever ad at an Hotel , top notch facilities and central location. The staff are wonderful - very friendly and helpful. The Cristal Salam is a gem.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Foamfollower_NZ
Kamal F, General Manager at Ramada Abu Dhabi Downtown, responded to this review, 6 October 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for describing our hotel with the same very word I use when passionately talking about it with friends & family, as a "gem."

You've kindly highlighted our warm welcome, friendly staff, & central location. We are fortunate that these attributes are consistently noticed & appreciated. But a less mentioned feature, that both you, and the reviewer after you praise, are the comfort of our beds!
I am glad that we are getting an important basic right, giving our guests a comfortable sleep, and thus a great start to their day.

If you give us the joy of welcoming you again , please try our newly created menu at our VERTICAL Wine bar. I am confident that you will then have another feature to write about.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 25 September 2012

This is a clean, tidy and spacious business hotel in the heart of Abu Dhabi. I liked the room - modern and spacious, great bathroom and comfy bed. I was given an upgrade - I liked that. They had my car ready for me as I left (via the valet) without having to call ahead - they remembered that I was checking out in the morning at a particular time. Check in was very quick and friendly. Can't really fault it - although I wouldnt recommend the bar / restaurants unless as a neccsesity - nothing wrong with them but there are much better options for food at the nearby beach rotana etc. I would stay here again - where I need a bed and a bath rather than for a break...

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank nickindubai
Kamal F, General Manager at Ramada Abu Dhabi Downtown, responded to this review, 26 September 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback on our comfortable rooms & the thoughtfulness of the valet parkers.

The next time you visit, do have a drink on me (!) at our VERTICAL, wine bar. Our well known neighbouring hotel is a fine establishment, but cannot boast of a wine bar like ours! And our new Chef has some great tasting steaks, lamb shoulder, & fish dishes which I promise you will have you coming back for more!
And by mid October, we will also be opening a Korean restaurant , SURA, with a few Chinese/Japanese items on the menu too.

You just might be tempted to stay in rather than make that walk across to our neighbours!

Cristal Salam Hotel