“Not sure why this is so highly rated”

Ramada Abu Dhabi Downtown
Ranked #34 of 129 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night and while it is extremely good value for money I found the service to be lacking.

Upon arrival I was checked into a twin room which was not what I requested at time of booking. The only king room available was in a smoking room so I chose that - and the smell was disgusting on that level.

I requested an international adaptor to charge my phone and it took 6 phone calls to finally have someone bring it to the room 3 hours later. Again, I'll stress that for around USD100 per night, the room is a good size, clean, tidy and good value for money. I'm not sure I would ever describe this hotel as very good or excellent. Would I stay here again - probably not unless I was heavily restricted by budget.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Kane1978

Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed for three nights altogether service excellent, very friendly staff quality of rooms top class,twenty four menu for late arrivals I found it added a lot to my stay, variety of food for the breakfast the best I have seen this hotel in the top five of any hotel I have stayed in around the world well worth the experience.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank HennessyG
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We stayed as part of a 6 night package in January 2014. We were upgraded to a very spacious room with full facilities. We appreciated the tea making facilities, mini fridge and free WI FI.
The king size bed was so comfortable! It was very quiet and the location was close to transport, the Abu Dhabi Mall and a small Hypermarket. The staff were at all times helpful and polite. Our only complaint was that for 6 nights the Korean restaurant did not offer enough variety and we found the food quite greasy. The menu was set with little choice. With other similar packages we have had an extensive buffet choice in the evening. The breakfast, however, was a buffet and very good. Unlike most other tourists we took buses which were 2 dirhams per journey inner city and 4 dirhams to the airport. It was a very cheap and enjoyable stay. As Muslims, we had the wonderful experience of saying Friday prayers at the Grand Mosque.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Clean, good price, good service, free parking ( valet), silent..........
A very good solution in center Abu Dhabi with small local shops around.....you are not on the Corniche but you feel to be like a resident.
Abu Dhabi Mall is walking distance

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 20 January 2014

A 36 hour stopover scheduled for Abu Dhabi to break an otherwise absurdly long journey was marred by spectacular incompetence by Etihad airlines. The two nights booked at the Cristal ended up being one as a consequence but discrete eavesdropping on our disgruntled conversation by the checkin staff on arrival at the hotel resulted in a most welcome upgrade. Friendly, efficient, clean, well appointed and with excellent and prompt in room dining we would recommend this hotel. It's easily accessible from the airport by taxi - a safe and reliable mode of transport for families. We would stay there unhesitatingly should we ever travel through Abu Dhabi, but since that would mean travelling Etihad airlines, that likelihood is low.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank GlobalWonderer
Reviewed 12 January 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Cristal Salam for 3 nights (on the 4th floor) in January 2014.

The Abu Dhabi Mall is a mere 700 metre (0.43mi) walk from this hotel. But be extra cautious because the road-works do not consider pedestrians.

The vehicle elevator to the underground parking was an interesting novelty. But the underground parking area is very small and difficult to navigate even with a smaller car. A car with park-assist and cameras would be ideal. Alternatively ask the concierge to assist with parking. The signage to access the guest elevators from the underground parking should also be more clearly marked / located.

It was a little annoying that the bed sheet was too short for the bed on our last night (see photo).

The bathroom: This hotel should consider using the simpler taps / faucets for the bath i.e. up=on; left=hot; right=cold; down=off (same as the sink). We eventually figured out that the bath/shower temperature adjuster had a safety button which needed to be pushed in to make the water hotter. But even once we realised how to turn the faucet to make it hotter there was one night that it seemed the hot water had been used up. There is no “mini-shower” next to the toilet which was odd for a hotel in the Middle East (agree with Sidi_Daouda’s review on that point) and the toilet paper was cheap quality.

The gymnasium on the 9th floor is sufficient for a brief workout but floor space to stretch is limited. Also, some of the treadmill belts are a bit noisy and may need maintenance. But the equipment otherwise was solid and the view of the city was reasonable.

It’s a pity we didn’t get a chance to be pampered at the spa which looks very nice or savour the Korean meals at the Sura restaurant.

The hotel was in a good location and reasonably priced.

My wife and I only spent 3 nights here and unfortunately did not get to appreciate all that this hotel had to offer. We hope to make up for it next time.

Room Tip: Ask someone to help you park underground Avoid the floors near the 9th floor where the music is app...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark R
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We stayed here on the way back from a 2 month trip , after staying here just one night earlier on.
So glad we came back. Again, we got in very early, and the wonderful staff asked " if we minded being upgraded to a large room " so that we could get straight into a room. Who would mind an upgrade I ask!
The room of course was modern, spotless and large and we were very happy to rest after such a long flight. The staff could not have been nicer, and responded to any request promptly and with good humour.
We stayed 2 nights and everything was perfect. I would recommend the hop on hop off bus, as it got us to places that we would never have found ourselves. The hotel is a quick walk to the Adu Dhabi Mall, which is also a pickup point for the bus.
Breakfast both days was excellent and again the staff were wonderful. We had dinner at the Korean Restaurant one night.. Very nice and not far to walk home LOL

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple