“could be really good in 12 months time”

The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort
Ranked #26 of 127 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
London, United Kingdom
“could be really good in 12 months time”
Reviewed 25 March 2012

The hotel is the top graded in the SPG range and states that its target audience is the Emirates Palace Hotel. The problem is that there is still work going on in the hotel and the staff are still trying to get to grips with the environment. everything is still very new and you can see the potential. There are still may teething problems with the rooms, service, and facilities. It should be considered as a soft opening and should be heavily discounted. For the rates they are charging its not worth it. Why pay top dollar to be a guinea pig for their staff training? One staff member said to me "every day is a drama" and it looked like it. In maybe 6 to 12 months it could be nice, but meanwhile I suggest bargain hard for the best rate.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank SAJR88
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Greetings from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort Abu Dhabi.
Thank you for taking the trouble to review our hotel and of course I am sorry that things did not met your expectations. I am however delighted that you see the potential. It is true, the hotel opened just 3 months ago and in general we have been very pleased with the comments we have been receiving, most of all about the friendly, sincere nature of our staff members. I would also add that we have what we believe to be very competive rates available in the market as “introduction” rates. Once again, sorry you were disappointed and please contact me directly should you be visiting the hotel in the near future.

John Pelling

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Dubai
Reviewed 25 March 2012

My husband treated us to a night's stay at the St. Regis on Saadiyat Island as a belated Valentine's getaway. We have been fortunate enough to stay in some amazing hotels over the years, but the St. Regis is in a league of its own.

The hotel itself is brand new (opened in December I think), airy, light and luxurious, without dripping in the over-obvious decadence that can often be found in this region. The staff are all extremely professional and courteous.

The St. Regis has a tagline - "allow me" - which is personified by the staff. Our butler (MIsha - thank you for your excellent welcome) could not have been more helpful, when showing us around our suite. We stayed in a St. Regis Suite with a sea-view, and it was absolutely beautiful. Again the luxury is understated, but everything has been thought out and planned to perfection, from the amazingly soft towels to the position of the desk if you have to do any work. We had a couple of glasses of champagne in the afternoon sun on our balcony and took in the view of the beach and pools, before having dinner at Sontaya (highly recommended!).

We both agreed breakfast was the most impressive spread we have ever seen. The sheer scale of it was similar to a decadent brunch. There was even an area for hot scones, with whipped cream and jam - for breakfast! We had to severely restrain ourselves.

We spent some time on the beach, where again we were welcomed with service similar to the butler service in our room, and then had some spa treatments. The spa itself is beautiful and our treatments were incredible, and so therapeutic.

To top it off, we had the best room service we have ever had, as we hadn't left much time for lunch! This hotel seems to thrive on superlatives but it just excels in every aspect. We didn't try the signature butler unpacking or packing service, but I think it would be a fabulous way to start and finish your stay.

Overall this hotel is a breath of fresh air, and really is outstanding. I wish we had the time and money to spend more than one night there! It would be perfect for a honeymoon, but I also noticed a thoughtfully secluded children's area and pool, so we would be happy to take our 2 little ones there again...if we are lucky enough to be able to!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea-view room, facing the inner courtyard of the hotel. The suites are worth every penny...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this review, 1 April 2012
Dear Claire,

Greetings from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, Abu Dhabi. Thank you for your kind review and taking the time to post such a detailed and well reflected feedback. I am glad to hear that your stay with us was wonderful. One of our signature services is indeed The St. Regis Butler Service that is available to every guest and ensures that unique preferences are known and understood in every detail.
I look forward to welcoming you and our little guests back at our resort.

south africa
Reviewed 21 March 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the St Regis for 2 days and it was one of the worsted stays I have ever had .

When we arrived we were put into a room the was right next to a room under construction with construction workers shouting and making huge noise . We called down to the front desk 3 times to let them know about this ,the last time the assistant front desk  manager told us we would have to wait 2 hours for them to move us .

The IPod docking station was also not working . We were never offered the signature unpacking by the butlers. We were then moved to a new room .

The butler service in this hotel is non existence on several occasions we call the butler service and they failed to answer the phone and when they did answer the phone the service was shocking . We call the butler service and asked them to come and fetch some laundry after 45mins and 2 more calls I had to take my laundry to the front desk my self , the assistant front office manager said my laundry would be back in the morning  I needed it back in the morning as it had my gym kit and I wanted to have a work out but the hotel only returned my laundry at 17:35 .

The facility's at the hotel are impressive but the service and attention to detail is lacking , there were several light bulbs out in the hotel which I pointed out to the staff . I did meet one of the senior managers and let him know my concerns but this seamed to have little effect our stay continued to be a disaster

When we left I thought the Gm or some one would send us a email or give us a call to apologize but we still have not got any feedback from the hotel . I am a member of the Starwood program SPG and stay at a lot of there hotels

Stayed February 2012
8 Thank robin101
Greetings from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort Abu Dhabi.
I regret to learn of the challenges you experienced during your recent visit.
At our property we continuously strive to offer exceptional levels of service, which in this case it appears we have failed to deliver.

Kind regards,

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 20 March 2012

we stayed at the St. Regis Saadiyat Island resort for a weekend, after a busy week in Dubai at work. We don't often travel to Abu Dhabi so it was all new to us and thought it would be difficult to find our way and would be a long drive, however signage for the resort guided us all along the way and it took us only 45 minutes to reach the resort.
Arrival was great with warm and genuine friendly welcome, which is not usual as you often see plastic smiles.
We were looked after for those two days very well and did not really need to worry about anything once we informed the staff of what we wanted, often punctuality is a concern, but not at St. Regis Saadiyat Island resort. All our requests were delivered at the exact time as promised it just seemed like they stood outside the door waiting to ring the bell, but no it was the efficiency and commitment.
The restaurants and bar have been designed with great taste and giving the resort the credit that it has just opened they are still working on enhancing the decor in all public areas and making it warm and welcoming.
The food & service in all restaurants and bars were second to none, our favorite was Sontaya (Far east asian cuisine), located by the pools it offered great views of the beach, sadly we couldnt sit outside due to windy weather. The Grill restaurant 55&5th was great with live piano player creating a very romantic atmosphere, just what my wife and I were after.
Overall we had a great time and would happily recommend everyone to stay, especially if you are getting away from busy day to day life.

Room Tip: Ask for corner rooms, offering great views and they are larger.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Dear Sunil,

Greetings from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, Abu Dhabi. I am glad you decided to take a break in Abu Dhabi and especially Saadiyat Island, a perfect getaway. Thank you for your kind review and taking the time to post your feedback. I am glad to hear that your stay with us was wonderful. It is also good to know that you had the opportunity to hear our Pianist that plays every evening at 55&5th - The Grill, our signature venue. Incidentally, she also plays at Manhattan Lounge, our cocktail bar, earlier in the evening. It’s a great venue to start your evening.
I look forward to welcoming you back at our resort and will be delighted to hear about your next experience with us.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I am a resident of Abu Dhabi. Had a business visit to the hotel and used some of the service. Away form the main city, connected by a quiet motorway and offers a breathtaking view of the sea waves. A huge property but very pleasant to the eye in both exterior and interior. Spotlessly clean, extremely friendly staff, fantastic choice and quality of food. Rooms were spacious, with all standard 5 star facility. Did not stay overnight though but felt very good about practically everything.
If $400 per night is not an issue, recommended without any hesitation.

Room Tip: Request a sea view room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank drdebasisbiswas
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Greetings from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort.
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback and positive comments about our resort based on your observation.
I look forward to welcoming you back at our resort and will be delighted to hear about your stay experience with us.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2012

The choice was simple - the St.Regis or the Park Hyatt. we got it wrong. Superficially this is a beautiful hotel, but it lacks character and personality, it was empty when we were there, but still the service was at best mediocre. We waited nearly an hour for room service breakfast, and when it came the order was wrong. We also waited 40 minutes for our luggage to b delivered, and 15 minutes for the valet to bring our car. However one night we went up the road to the Park Hyatt - the meal and service in the grill was excellent. That is where we will stay on our next visit.

• Stayed February 2012
4 Thank Chunkyunky
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear Allan,

I am disappointed to read your comment and of course I am sorry for any shortfalls in our service that you experienced. I would welcome an opportunity to discuss these issues further with you and can be contacted at StRegis.Saadiyat@stregis.com. Or should you visit the city in the weeks ahead, please do contact me directly and I will attempt to change your view.

Holywood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2012

If you are looking for a hotel on the beach then St Regis could be the answer to all your dreams. It is a massive property but many of the rooms have a superb ocean view. The photographs of the turquoise water and white sand are accurate although there are quite a few stones.
My wife and I are SPG gold members and so we given an upgrade to a superior room with sea view. The room was fabulous and the bathroom was magnificent. The bed was very comfortable and all the expected services and facilities were available except in room tea and coffee. The butler service will bring complimentary tea on request along with attending to your every whim.
The quality of the fixtures and fittings throughout the hotel are exceptional, particularly the light fittings. The Iridium Spa is very good but the b/attitude Spa in Grosvenor House is in a different class.
The food is excellent. Breakfast buffet in Olea is as good as anywhere and better than most. The service is very attentive. An equally superb lunch and dinner buffet is available in Olea. Sontaya is a south-east asian restaurant which serves delightful food and where the staff are so pleasant and helpful. The 55 and 5th Grill is very expensive but it does provide a marvelous culinary experience. Again the staff are superb and the sommelier is appropriately knowledgeable. The wine list on an iPad is interesting. The costa in these restaurants is high but worth it...value can be had in Olea if you are hungry. Drink prices are very high.
The pool areas are beautiful and well attended by staff and lifeguards.
The hotel would benefit from a shuttle service which I am told is in the pipeline. Taxis can booked with 15 minutes notice but are reliable.
The staff in general are very good, particularly at the front desk and in the restaurants. As for the reminder of the staff, some are very good and others are trying very hard.
There is a super golf course around the hotel if you need a break from the beach.
Given that this is a brand new hotel with some obvious teething problems I am already looking forward to a return visit.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank APE73
Greetings from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort and thank you for kind comments.
I am glad to hear your stay with us was wonderful and you took the time to truly experience our resort and our culinary offerings.
I will be happy to share your positive comments with our team and will certainly take your suggestion into consideration.
On behalf of the team, thank you again for the recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back at our hotel.