“A special evening at Sontaya” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort

The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort
Ranked #25 of 130 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
abudhabi
“A special evening at Sontaya”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

Thank you for nice set up on my table during my visit to asian restaurant, i was proposing my girl friend we were so impressed with the table set up esspecially m tabe was facing on sun set.

Meezaan

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank meezan s
, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this review, 28 June 2012
Congratulations Meezaan! Thank you for choosing to dine at Sontaya, our Southeast Asian restaurant, on your special evening. I am sure our team would have assisted in making every detail memorable. Wishing you and your partner the very best ahead and I look forward to welcoming you back.

John Pelling,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

I use Trip Advisor to decide on where to stay so wanted to post a review to help everyone else. I travel for a living and for pleasure and have the luck of staying in many 5* resorts around the world but that does mean I have stupidly high expectations. I therefore had to write about the St Regis as there is nothing I can fault.

The service was perfect and unlike another review on here we found the staff were prompt, efficient and well-trained. Rooms were lovely, particularly the bathroom, Friday brunch is one of the best in the UAE, our glasses were never empty. The 55 on 5th restaurant was fantastic, both food and ambience. The resort is beautiful and I would not hesitate to stay there again, I am even planning when that will be!

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Dubai2London
, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Greetings from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, Abu Dhabi and thank you for your positive comments.

It is indeed a pleasure to read that your stay with us was wonderful. Our staff is our biggest asset and they commitment to service standards certainly make all the difference in making the stay with us memorable. As I read that you enjoyed dining with us, I am confident you will appreciate our beach restaurant, Turquoiz, which will open doors post summer. I very much look forward to welcoming you back at our resort.

Al Jubail, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

Dear Travelors,

I had the pleasure to enjoy a beautiful evening with friends, at the St.Regis Saadiyat Island Resort.
We had done our reservations at the 55th Restaurant. It was unbelievable, unforgettable and will be always remembered from my end. We had such a lovely funny evening, as the service was perfect and the food was outstanding. First things first. We arrived at The St.Regis hotel lobby,and we received very warm welcome, when the Gents opened us the door from the car and guided my friends and me personally to the lobby.
There was another Gentleman waiting and guided us personally from the lobby to the bar of the 55th restaurant where we met the rest of our friends. Having still some time, before we went for dinner, we had a glas of champagne and the Chef de Cusines prepared some lovely apertizers for us, which was really delicious.

Apart form the modern stylish interior and the warm blue color which shines from the top, it gives you really something special and you feel really relaxed. The entire Service team from the arrival at the hotel enjoying a drink at the bar, and finally having an outstanding dinner, made this evening with my lovely friends a really unforgettable stay for me.
We spend no, we enjoyed 4 hours in a nice atmosphere and we felt very very special and welcomed, thanks to the entire team of the St.Regis many thanks for that.

Believe me, if your are next time in Abu Dhabi, take the time and schedule yourself for either to stay in the St.Regis or enjoy a lovely evening with friends or family, you will not regret it.

I wish you all a happy and always safe traveling, until next time, see yah.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank oliver444
Greetings from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, Abu Dhabi

On behalf of the team, thank you for the words of appreciation on your experience of dining at 55&5th, The Grill, our signature venue. It is always a pleasure to read and hear about our friendly staff and the uncompromising service we strive to provide our guests. I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

I have booked with a friend for a long week-end. We needed a getaway, and were not disappointed on check-in! The place is amazing, the room, although only superior category, was large and the beds very comfortable. The bathroom was beautiful, with a large rain shower. The facilities of the hotel were very good too. Although it seemed like a lot of families had booked over the week-end, the adult only pool made it easy to relax. The spa is also beautiful and very relaxing. The gym is super high tech, with internet available on the treadmills.
However, I must say that I was disappointed with the service. Although the staff was overall friendly and approachable, the lack of training was very obvious. I had to ask 4 times for ice next to the pool. We needed to wait for another 20min before our order was taken, and once it finally arrived, there was a hair in my food. In the spa, the manager was replacing the mats in front of jacuzzi/sauna/steam room with her shoes (and you walk barefoot on them afterwards). The turn down service of the room was also bad: beds not open, garbage bins not cleared, towels on the floor in the bathroom... We did call to have an extra bathrobe, which took an our to come. Same thing for tooth paste and soap. The phone on the bed side table wasn't working, and although I did mention it, no one came to fix it and I spent the whole stay (3 nights) with no phone. Staff (including top management) was using the guest lifts, which I believe shouldn't happen in 5* properties. The only exception to this bad service was Olea, the all day dining restaurant, where Willy was amazing. He took care of us from day one, and made a point to come and greet us even if he wasn't taking care of us directly. The whole team there was very attentive and ready to help.
Overall, it was a very nice stay thanks to the hotel facilities and the room. The staff was friendly and nice, but again, more training is necessary to help them deliver the level or service expected in this kind of property.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Greetings from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, Abu Dhabi and thank you for your feedback.

On behalf of my team, my apologies for the shortfalls you experienced in service in certain areas. I am however happy to read your feedback on Willy and his assistance at Olea. I am sure he will be very appreciative of your kind words. I look forward to welcoming you back and making every aspect of your future stays with bespoke and memorable.

Dubai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

We took two interconnecting rooms for a long weekend with children (ages 10 and 8) and an adult family member, and had a magical stay.

Rooms

Stunning sea view, large balconies, very generous bathrooms with his and hers sinks, rainshower, and massive tub. Very comfortable beds with high-quality linen. Good storage space and well laid-out.

Mostly good -- we had a glitch because we wanted to watch a major sporting event with the children which couldn't be viewed in our rooms and the only place screening it was the bar, into which families are not allowed. This was unacceptable for the first night but sorted out to our satisfaction for the rest of the stay. The business center was unexpectedly closed but remedied quickly with a phone call. Otherwise, fast and polite response to room service, bell desk, etc.

F&B

Delicious Asian lunch at Sontaya, quality offerings for lunch/drinks at Turquoise and the adult pool area, busy but substantial and well-managed breakfast buffet at Olea.

Facilities

Excellent, well-run kids club which entertained our two for an hour or so at a time. Stunning beach but very rocky -- the hotel has thoughtfully included some rubber swim shoes to lend to guests for mitigating this issue. The adult pool has jacuzzis and in-water lounges as well as very inviting cabanas. Plenty of seating and towels at the family pool, even on a holiday weekend. The gym is a short walk from the main hotel and has every machine and implement, as well as a fantastic indoor lap pool.

Overall, this is a beautiful resort which is a credit to the developing Saadiyat area -- more luxurious than the nearby Park Hyatt and a short trip to downtown Abu Dhabi. Worth a weekend away for GCC residents or a longer stay for overseas travelers.

Room Tip: Interconnecting 544 (king) and 542 (two doubles) were set off in their own private area with gorgeou...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Greetings from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, Abu Dhabi and thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review.

I am delighted that your family and you had a true resort experience and had the opportunity to try all our facilities. We are Abu Dhabi’s first true beach resort and take pride in offering our guests every aspect that will make their stay with us memorable.Thank you again for choosing us and I look forward to welcoming you back for another relaxing break.

Mali
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

We spent a recent weekend at this stunning hotel for a reunion with our three grown sons in their late twenties. It was a perfect venue for all of us. We found luxuriously appointed, ample sized rooms, the adult pool with built-in jacuzzi areas to loll around at and chat, the perfect sandy beach with real waves to play in, and the views... ahhh the views... the tropical turquoise sea is so lovely, from every window.
Now let's go to food: any buffet meal here is an adventure in truly delicious choices suited to any set of taste-buds; the Asian restaurant offers Thai food at its height of 'gourmet'; the 55 & 5th Grill provided a family celebration meal (all birthdays at once) with each of us delighted, from top-quality beef right to the chocolate volcano dessert. The service was simply excellent throughout, including considerable insights into grape beverages provided by the sommelier.
In the Lobby cafe, the chef was accommodating to provide afternoon tea for us much earlier than the stipulated timings, and the Manhattan Lounge offered a relaxed atmosphere and an enjoyable place to converse and imbibe. Lunch poolside turned out very well despite a small glitch over the caesar salads which we trust will get the recipe right next time. Great service!
We were taken to the Library to check-in and check-out so there was no waiting. Thank you to the entire highly professional, gracious staff who in every instance met or exceeded our family's needs. We've lived abroad for 23 years and this hotel is a highlight. We will be back!

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a sea-view room. It would be a shame not to.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Greetings from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort. Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback and I am delighted to read that you had a perfect family reunion at our resort.

It is kind of you to recognize our staff, our biggest asset, who make all the difference in delivering a bespoke experience for every guest staying with us. Our food venues have all been carefully thought through and it is always a pleasure reading that your family truly enjoyed and appreciated the same. Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back for another weekend very soon.

Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

we stayed for 2 nights on a half board basis to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Before i begin i should point out that we have stayed in many top hotels in United Arab Emirates. The check in was okay.
We booked the sea view room but they gave us the building view so after making a complaint 2 hours later we got our sea view room and it was really nice view. We noticed gowns hanging in a bathroom surely belong to previous guests. The pools were really nice, the beach just 3 minutes’ walk from the hotel. We ate at the Olea restaurant a buffet style restaurant. Breakfast was excellent with everything you could think of; fruit, seafood, eggs of every style, pastries, cereal, juices, and meat fresh pancake made right in front of you, it would set you up perfectly for the rest of the day.
Dinner was just as good with food to cater for every pallet. The carvings station was particularly good with a different cut each night whether it be Beef fillet, lamb leg, salmon fillet, chicken etc.
They totally forgot about our anniversary after I had a word with reception she apologised and sent us a fruit platter and they offered us cake but we refused as it was too late. Shame that such a stunning property in such a beautiful location is being totally mismanaged and ruining the reputation of St. Regis as a luxury five star hotel brand.

Room Tip: all ways ask for sea view room its worth it
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.

My sincere apologies for the shortfalls in service and I will certainly investigate further with our teams. Thank you for the kind words recognizing our food venues and the quality offered.
Should you have any further comments, I welcome the opportunity to discuss the same and I can be contacted at StRegis.Saadiyat@stregis.com.