“Fantastic hotel, lovely location needs the service kinks ironing out..”

The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort
Ranked #30 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Fantastic hotel, lovely location needs the service kinks ironing out..”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I choose the St Regis for a one night stay to celebrate my wife and I's first wedding aniversary, I'd dropped a hint about a possible upgrade, that didn't happen but it was still lovely to be greeted in reception personally and wished a happy aniversary. unfortunately the date coincided with EID and therefore check in at 3 PM had completely swamped the check in areas and it took 50 minutes to finally check in, it was a bit of joke especially to be told that we were next to be checked in and we were taken into the library to be asked to wait whilst a very stressed out guest arguing with the poor chap checking him in. Eventually we got there, with lots of apologies but for a five star hotel this needs to get sorted out. I suppose realising this, we later received a phone call in the afternoon from the chap who had checked us in, telling us the we were being given complementary breakfast, so amends made from our perspective. At breakfast though the comic factor kicked in again and we were accosted after we'd left by the restaurant staff in a public area to be asked to sign the bill to pay for breakfast, so quite embarrassing to have to go through this. Also realising that it was our aniversary the butler service had left a beautiful cake in our room and delighted in telling us when we'd come back to our room after a seven course meal that we had a cake...which of course we were too full to do anything with, a very nice touch but just bad timing.... Checking out was also a comic affair taking about 30 minutes to get the luggage and the car together, we're not complainers but when asked at check out about the stay, we did outline the above and rather than actually make a note of anything he just smiled and apologised, again. Saying all of that, the location is excellent and the pools and beach are lovely as is the hotel overall, especially the 55th and 5th restaurant (see separate review) but being relatively new there's an awful lot of staff milling about and by the looks of things not really knowing what to do when its a busy time.

Room Tip: Book direct and then onthe receipt email take the options to upgrade, if staying a long time to appr...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paul L
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
Dear Paul,

Greetings from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort and thank you for your review.
I regret to learn of the challenges you experienced during your recent visit this is certainly not how we want to be viewed. We continuously strive to offer exceptional levels of service, which in this case it appears we have failed to deliver. I would welcome an opportunity to discuss these issues further with you and can be contacted at StRegis.Saadiyat@stregis.com. I am however pleased with your experience at 55&5th, The Grill and will be happy to share the same with the team.

John Pelling

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Beijing, China
Reviewed 20 August 2012

My husband decided to explore Abu Dhabi as we had only visited it once on a day trip. We chose to stay at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island and we could not have done better with our choice of hotel. The hotel sits on large landscaped grounds which are nice especially when it's in a city destination. The check-in was very smooth and we were offered a nice cold towel as August is not exactly the best time in the UAE. The check-in staff was very friendly and enquired if it was our first time in Abu Dhabi. He offered us some tips on where to go and the schedule of the transfers to Ferrari World and the museum. We were escorted to our room by a very friendly butler named Domnic. He has such an infectious smile that it can only brighten your day whenever he talks to us. Domnic was very knowledgeable and we were very impressed, considering that this hotel has been opened for barely a year (most new hotels and some 'older' hotels too, face challenges with training their staff to be this knowledgeable). Butler service was very prompt as well. Our room was very well configured and it had a beautiful view of the Arabian Sea (this is worth paying for if you are prepared to splurge). Variety at breakfast was good and the service was very efficient and friendly as well. The swimming pool was just wonderful and you also have a choice of two pools - one for the adults and another one a short walk away, is for families. I think this is a very well thought-out idea as if you are travelling as a couple with no kids, you would want to enjoy your swim without noisy children running around and disturbing the tranquility.

I was also informed that during certain seasons of the year you can see dolphins near the beach and also turtles come up to the beach to lay eggs too!

Maxim was most helpful when we requested at the last minute, to purchase a whole cake to take to a friend's house. There was none available at that time but he tried alternatives and managed to get it organised for us - THANK YOU Maxim, and the cake was delicious too!

Our visit happened to coincide with the Ramadan period (when the Muslims fast for 30 days) and it's the peak of summer so the hotel was not that busy. However, it was really nice as it's quiet and that's what my husband and I were looking for - peace and tranquility. The St. Regis met our expectations as promised and we highly recommend anyone looking to book accommodation in Abu Dhabi, to not hesitate when considering this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the beach - you will not regret it!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank devajuly
Warm greeting from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort. Thank you for your very kind review and individually recognizing the team.
The St. Regis Butler Service is the cornerstone of all that we do and I am pleased to read that Domnic delivered the bespoke service we continuously strive to provide to our guests.
You have rightly heard about the island and I do hope you see the Bottlenose Dolphins playing along the shoreline the next time you stay with us.
I am looking forward to welcoming you back and delivering another unforgettable experience on Saadiyat.

Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 16 August 2012

From the moment that we arrived at St. Regis, we were amazed at how hospitalble all the staff were. We were checked in with ease and shown to our suite which was lovely. I had casually mentioned that it was my husbands birthday upon check in - and we were pleasantly suprised to be greeted with a hand written card and a bithday cake by the butler as we arrived at our room.
We had our 3 year old daughter with us for the day and we were blown away by the Sandcastle kids club, the variety of toys, games books, painting equipment and not to mention the outdoor play pool, slide and cave, and this was great for us to be able leave her there in the care of the lovely staff - she had a ball and we were able to relax at the adult pool for a while knowing that she was being safely looked after.
The adult pool was a favoutie of ours as the sun loungers we chose were sunken into the cool water - brilliant idea in the searing Gulf sun! Not to mention the private alcoves with the jacuzzi jets.
We had a wonderful meal at 55 & 5th and a special mention to Jason the chef there for treating us to special birthday desserts. Well worth a visit for lovers of Wagu tenderloin!
We live in Abu Dhabi and we felt like we had been away on holiday, and we were treated wonderfully by the staff. This is our new favourite hotel!

Room Tip: Seafacing Suites are well worth a visit
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read that we are your new favorite hotel!
I am glad you managed to experience the St. Regis bespoke service during your stay with us and that you also took the time to try our various food and beverage venues.
Sandcastle Club, our dedicated facility for children, continues to be very popular with our younger guests - thank you for recognizing the facility and our trained staff.
I am looking forward to welcoming you back for another weekend get-away.

Scotland
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights after staying at the Emirates Palace hotel. Both lovely but very different. Nice contrast with something a bit more established and a hotel that is not long open and more modern.

Foyer area is beautiful with views across the torquoise sea. Loved our room which was just the basic one with a lovely patio/grassy area on the ground floor that got the sun. HD tv. Missed the free soft drinks that the Emirates palace give in the mini bar but plenty of water in room and you get a ice bucket with two waters when you go to the pools which was very much appreciated in the heat. The bathroom was great. Probably the nicest I have ever had anywhere but annoying that you could not fill the sink up as the plug was not designed to close.
Staff were all lovely especially the girls at the adult pool and the olea restaurant. Again I had been reading about Butlers before we visited but never encountered one during our stay. Found it strange that we got a note one evening to say they were going to leave chocolates for us but we were not in. They could have just left them!

The hotel had a good curtesy bus service which we used to go to the Grand Mosque and Marina Mall. I have never been so glad to be handed a cold bottle of water when we got back in the bus. This service would also take you to the theme park too and because it took us one way and back another way we got to see a bit more of Abu Dhabi that we had never seen before and the Mangrove area.

Had free half board which was lovely. Only ate in the buffet restaurant. Had we been staying longer I would have tried the other restaurants too. Choice available was far greater over the weekend when the hotel was busier then cut back during the week. Choice of food was good. Prefered the choice here to the Emirates Palace but felt sometimes lables were lacking and there was no one to ask what the dishes were apart from the main ones.A more relaxed atmosphere but a bit surprised that occasionally guests entered the hotel through the restaurant in the evening in their wet swimsuits. No ice cream at this buffet either - big dissappoinment. I was beginning to wonder if Icecream was considered such a luxury product or if hotels are too posh to have this in their buffet restaurants. Did ask if I could possibly have some vanilla icecream one night. Got a no response first then we will see. Got a tiny scoop of vanilla and wished I had not bothered. Other choice of cakes etc very limited compared to other 5 star hotels I have stayed in and a bit repetitive every night. The other restaurants did look lovely especially the grill one and the seafood one on the beach thats not opened yet. Loved the decor in this one and had a lovely lunch at the bar area here on our last day.

Did not have time to try the spa. Felt there could have been more information in the room or from Butlers etc about any offers on during our stay. Noticed all the good offered such as earlier meal and spa discounts on Abu Dhabi Time Out web site when I got home.

Had chosen this hotel mainly because it was on a natural beach and I love the sea but during the first few days you could not go into the sea because of the rocks that the waves naturally bring in to the shore. The sea looked stunning but when you tried to enter the water the rocks would wash up and crash against your ankles. The lifeguard at the beach does provide rubber shoes but this would not have helped here. The unfortunate thing here being that out of a vast expanse of beach the rocks and stones at the shoreline stop as soon as you get past the flagged areas designated for swimming between. Just beyond the flag it was easier to get into the water and once you were on a sandy patch it was great. The water shelves quite steeply once you are in and it was bliss. A few baby dolphins were seen one morning.

The adult only pool was really nice. A bit angular as were all the pools and unusual with great private shaded seating areas too. Loved my cocktails. Only remotely busy at the weekend so really relaxing. Only thing I would have changed would have been type of music played around the pool - jazz bluezy stuff which is not my taste and would have prefered silence or a more varied choice. Others we spoke to felt the same.

Tried the main pool one day. Not so great with large Tent being constructed on the beach blocking the view out to sea. If I had been staying here with teenagers I would have very much felt short changed as they would not have been able to use the nice adult pool and been too old to use the lovely small children pool area.

Not much developed in the surrounding area. Gym looked very good beside the apartments and once the shops and restaurants are open within the apartment area it will make the place more interesting and convenient for staying longer.

I very much appreciated being allowed to keep our room for an extra 4 hours without extra charge on our last day as our flight was very late. Little things like this make my holiday.

Would recommend this hotel as it is beautiful for a short relaxing break

5 Thank Tina2go
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Dear Tina,

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and had the opportunity to experience our various facilities and services. I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your detailed review and positive comments. I also appreciate your feedback on certain areas which our team is happy to take into consideration.
I am looking forward to welcoming you back for another relaxing break with us.

Bern
Reviewed 28 July 2012

This is an absolutely luxury place. seperate beach access and private golf course give this great place the final touch! had a short stopover there when i visited some friends in the middle-east. invited them for bfst. very nice staff and all of the employees do their best to make the guest's stay unforgetably perfect. i'll surely visit this pearl again - thanks dear st.regis-team!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Philipp T
Dear Jan,

Greeting from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, Abu Dhabi and thank you for your note.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us and have especially recognized our staff, our biggest asset. We take pride in having a great team that uncompromisingly works towards presenting our guests with opportunities to create unforgettable memories during their stay with us.
I am looking forward to welcoming you back to our - as you call it - “pearl”.

Amman
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I spend there a week end and i enjoyed every minute there. when we arrived the drive way with the landscape just amazing. the staff at the entrance they greeted us and they walked with us in to the lobby.
I saw Arabic coffee with couple of staff there but we never been served, we waited to check in almost 10 min no one approach us for a help. the check in was fast but i felt myself in a post office not a 5 star hotel.
Room is amazing view is magnificent in room facility i think you are missing the coffee machines in the rooms.
we spend our time mainly at the adults pool our main drink was mujhito the consistency for the taste and the presentation was not there. but the staff are doing amazing job and they are super friendly
The breakfast is the most elegant buffet i ever seen and the variety is super rich quality above the expected.
Well done over all and definitely with the time things will go better there, i loved the place.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Dear George,
Greeting from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, Abu Dhabi and thank you for your comments.

While I certainly appreciate all our positive feedback, I do apologize for the shortfalls you had in certain areas. It is always a pleasure to read about our friendly staff and how they make all the difference in a guests’ stay. I’m delighted that they made feel very welcomed and that you enjoyed the overall stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort in the near future.

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2012

We have just had our second night at this amazing hotel. The service and facilities are fantastic. Nothing is too much for the staff, who seem to genuinely care that you are enjoying your time at the hotel.

The room is very well appointed, with every detail covered. The only thing I would like is the facility to make a coffee at will. This is covered by the butler service, but on enquiring I was offered a Nespresso Machine, which really is good service!

The butler service is perfect. Not totally in your face but discrete and available upon request. The room is well serviced and your butler checks in to see if you need anything.

Some facilities are limited because of Ramadan and the desire to respect local custom, but tourists visiting are well catered for in this area, with secluded areas for them to take refreshments without causing any offence. The main restaurant has a wide variety of different dishes to cover every taste and again the staff are very attentive, even when the restaurant is busy.

All in all an excellent hotel and one we will be coming back to......here is to the nex 12 nights!!

Dear Sean,
Greeting from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, Abu Dhabi!

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on your second night with us and I am confident that the rest of your stay will continue to meet expectations if not exceed. I am glad to read that that you have had the opportunity to truly experience our signature service – the St. Regis Butler Service, a hallmark of all that we do. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and I wish you a memorable stay.