“They did (almost) everything right !!”

The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort
Ranked #33 of 129 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 25 August 2012

What an amazing place !! The location absolutely stunning, direct beachfront, beautiful water and pool area. However, lots of stones that hurt our feet when u get into the ocean, but found out later that the lifeguards provide special shoes for their guest (should be more proactive) , pool area fantastic, but you have to ask for the bucket with ice and free water with cold towels(should I do that?) or should that be a part of a five star service.... Again...pro activity...stayed there for one night, Starwood preferred guest, would have been nice to get an upgrade for beach view room, considering the hotel occupancy was very low and we were first timers...room top notch!! Bed comfortable, bathroom luxurious and spacious, absolutely fantastic. Bathroom amenitys very exclusive. No noise level in the room. Check in was very quick. Dinner in the Asian restaurant very good. The food and drinks, even though a bit on the fusion side, really well prepared (Tom yam, green curry, pad Thai, morning glory) , the waiter from Indonesia was very accommodating and helpful, we liked his friendliness and had a very nice conversation...thanks again. All in all..it's a great property and we will be back, to go from good to great ,it's all about the people that can make a difference.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tobi1985
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2012

Dear Tobi,

Greetings and thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I am glad to read that your stay with us was good and in particular you enjoyed the dining experience at Sontaya, our South East Asian venue.
I look forward to having you back at resort very soon for a flawless experience in every aspect.

John Pelling

Write a ReviewReviews (2,627)

Reviewed 25 August 2012

Just back from 8 days at the St. Regis with my family. It was a truly wonderful experience and the luxury of this brand stood out. Butlers were always there to help, the main pool was fabulous, the adults only pool just what's needed - peace and quiet.

The children's club was super - thoroughly enjoyed by my boys.

Restaurant's were wonderful - especially Sontaya. The team their were so personable and they were so very good at anticipating our needs.

Room was splendid - our upgrade was much appreciated.

If you need to spoil yourself - go here...don't delay...book now!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

Dear Stuart,

Greetings and thank you for your words of praise! I am delighted to read your review and for recognizing the bespoke service we strive to deliver to all our guests. I will be happy to share your comments with the team.
I look forward to having you back for another memorable experience with us.

Reviewed 22 August 2012

Loved this modern, sleek, contemporary hotel. No expense was spared to make this place a showpiece. The lobby is gorgeous with fabulous furnishing and chandeliers. We stayed 10 days and did not want to leave.

The restaurants are outstanding with the finest foods and attentive service. Non-smoking sections were a plus. Breakfast was terrific with exotic fruits, fine quality meats, fish and and extensive selection of hot and cold dishes. There were chef manned stations for noodles, egg dishes and Arabic foods. Everything served was first class. The Thai restaurant had indoor or outdoor seating. The decor was Asian modern with views of the beach and excellent food.

The room was very spacious with fine decor, furniture and linens. The bathroom was huge with a separate rain shower and a deep egg-shaped soaking tub overlooking the sea. The towels and toiletries were first-rate. A personal butler attended to my needs; packing/unpacking and serving coffee and tea. The spa decor was dazzling.

The view from my room was gorgeous, overlooking the grounds and the sea. There were three pools; adults only, family and lap. The design of the adult pool was outstanding with shaded cabanas, water lounging chairs and a jacuzzi area in the pool. Pool service was excellent and very attentive.

A lifeguard monitors a marked beach swimming area. The entrance to the beach is rocky which makes it difficult to walk into the water barefoot; however, reef walkers were provided to help you walk more comfortably into the water. Once in the water it was great, warm and clean.

A complimentary shuttle took you to the malls, Ferrari World, Grand Mosque and the Saadiyat Island museum.

This hotel is superb, can't wait to return to this find!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TandLtravel

Greetings and thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I am glad to read all the positive comments about your stay with us and that you truly managed to experience our promise of bespoke service and a memorable stay. I will be happy to share your comments with my team which take much pride in providing our guests with a stay that is well catered for from the start to the end.
I look forward to seeing you back at the resort very soon.

John Pelling,

Reviewed 21 August 2012

We stayed in this hotel for close to three weeks and it was a most luxurious experience. The arrival is made most memorable when the butler service kicks in. Almost anything you might want or need can and will be arranged by your personal butler. The rooms are spacious and very well appointed. Light and dark wood accentuate the resort style, marble and precious metal trimmings reveal the five star quality. Room service is excellent, featuring a large breakfast menu and extensive 11am to 11pm all day dining menu! Favorites on the menu were the carpaccio, Cesar salad and fish soup. Housekeeping is always on time and precise and the concierge team is deffinitely on their game. The spa is beautifull, the athletic club boast a 25 meter lap pool and the latest fitness equipment and the restaurants, Sontaya and 55&5th are of world class standard.
There are a couple of pools, for those that want some quite relaxation there is the "adults pool", a little further on are the very large "play" pools. The beach is white and the water turquoise...anything else?

Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Idenburger

Greetings and thank you for your review.
I am very pleased to read wonderful feedback from a long staying guest as that’s when we know our teams have managed to provide and deliver consistent and uncompromising service.
It was an absolute pleasure to have you stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 21 August 2012

We stayed in St Regis Saadiyat Island from August 15 till 20.
We checked in very early in the morning, I think 7.00 .
Check in was quick, we were upgrated to a partial sea view room because of my birthday and we could go immediately to the room.
I asked to have breakfast that morning, because we wouldn't have breakfast on the 20 st because of a very early flight . No problem ! So far so good.
The room was beautiful decorated . But the airconditioning was very loud . First I asked the concierge if they could do something about it because I hadn't sleep the first night because of the noice. They 'll contact engineering. No respons. In the afternoon, I asked the butler if he could do something. Immediately, some one from engineering came . The noice was less but for a new hotel/ new system the airconditioning is to loud.
There are no thee and coffee facilities in the room. You have to call the butler.
The first day we waited for 40 minutes. I called for a 2 nd time to the butlerservice and 5 minutes later we had our coffees.
Everyday we had our 4 bottles of water. One day we had to call for fruit and also one evening we had no chocolates.
Food is good and a lot of choise.
We booked halfboard.
Breakfast was delicious. The food at diner also but the organisation was a disaster.
The first evening ok, On the second evening we went very early ( 6.30 pm normal diner time ) because we want to go to the mall. They told us we had to wait to 7pm because the prayers were not finished. No problem. The third night, they asked us if we had reservation !!!!
I think when you book on halfboard they should have a table for you .
Nobody told us to make reservations.
It's the first time we have to stand in line for a table and that for a 5 * lux hotel ?
This is not possible !!!
Normally , at check in , this information had to be given.
At Sunday, they proposed to sit in the Restaurant 55&5 th Grill for breakfast .
I think this was a good proposal . It's a nice setting, quiet and you can go to the buffet of the Olea Restaurant.
The waiter told my husband that the restaurant was open for diner. When I asked if it was possible to have diner in this restaurant that evening, he informed and told is that it was not because of our halfboard package.
Of course we wanted to pay the difference. He didn't know and repeated that it was not possible.
This restaurant is not overbooked !!!!
The service at Manhattan lounge is very good and friendly.
At Sunday night, we had a birthday cake in the room . This was a great surprise.But we just had diner and had cocktails in the Lounge and wanted to go to bed because at 5.00 am we should get up again.
I payed the bill at Sunday evening and the concierge arranged wake up call , Butler service for coffee in the morning and pick up of luggage.
We never got the wake up call and no coffee before leaving.
When I brought back the keys, I told it at the concierge (they were 2 )
One told I'm sorry and walked away to check, the other one at the desk said everything was ok and so, I could leave.
The luggage was picked up on time.
I also missed pool service. Because it was Ramadan, we could go to the poolbar for icetea and water. Once a day , we got a cold towel.
Normally in this kind of top end hotels, you have evian spritz, cleaning glasses etc
I still don't know what's the famous St Regis Service.The butler did not proposed to unpack and pack the luggage.
Another example, I asked twice for Ginger Tea.
At breakfast in the Olea, I got a perfect one.At breakfast in the Grill Restaurant, it was a normal tea. After complaining , they did some more ginger in the tea.
All the people working at the St Regis are friendly and do their best but I think the management should better organise and structure services.
Nevertheless, we had a good stay and value for money because we had a good deal .
But, you don't get the service of a 5 star luxury hotel. Other brands of Starwood do bether !
A better communication to the people working at the hotel and the guest would solve a lot of problems .

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Mieke,

Greetings and thank you for your detailed feedback.
While I appreciate that your overall stay with us was good, I am sorry to read that you experienced some shortfalls in service. I apologize on behalf of the team.
As we continuously strive to offer exceptional levels of service I would welcome any further feedback you may have and can be contacted at StRegis.Saadiyat@stregis.com.

Reviewed 21 August 2012

Very poor service and slow...

The housekeeping were in the room for s turn down service but didn't clear the dirty plate or wipe and vacuum the floor!!!

In Room Dining took almost 1 & 1/2 hour to deliver breakfast and when it reached there was a mistake in the order!!!

In the evening the shisha tent was like a nightclub and the music was so loud that you could hear it in the room throughout the night up to 12:30am until i had to call the duty manager to do something about it!!!!

The rooms and the public areas are all excellent and the kids club was nice but the beach area had no service at all except for a lifeguard .....

the Thai restaurant was super as the service was excellent and the food was the best Thai food i had in the uae...

overall it is a very good hotel which need a lot of improvement in the management area and the service....

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the trouble to review our hotel and of course I am sorry that things did not met your expectations. I am however delighted that you had a wonderful meal at Sontaya, our Southeast Asian restaurant. I would welcome any further feedback you may have and can be contacted at StRegis.Saadiyat@stregis.com.
Once again, sorry you were disappointed and please contact me directly should you be visiting the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Did not expect this from a St.Regis hotel, it turned out tone just another hotel on the block! The room wasn't ready till 5pm! Then the luggage couldn't get located! The baby cot that was requested during the reservation wasn't in the room and upon calling the so called butler service (who still need to improve their communication skills) told us that they don't have any available! Two hours later they managed to locate a hospital baby cot - pathetic. Tried it, and thank you never again.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank deepc55

Thank you for taking the trouble to review our hotel and of course I am sorry that things did not met your expectations. The majority of guest feedback received to date has been extremely encouraging so your comment stood out. Obviously you have a dim view of the hotel and I would welcome an opportunity to discuss these issues further with you. I can be contacted at StRegis.Saadiyat@stregis.com or should you visit the city in the weeks ahead, please do contact me directly and I will attempt to change your view.

Warm regards,