“Sumptious hotel, beautifully located on 9 km of white sandy beach”

The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort
Ranked #27 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Often you don't appreciate how good the service is in a hotel, until something isn't up to standard. It is only then that you experience how the staff react and I was impressed. Reading this you might think that I am being over fussy, but when the room we were staying in was a little noisy, without hesitation they switched us to a fantastic suite for the rest of my week residency. Little niggles at breakfast like having to ask for butter to be replenished, shouldnt be required, staff should keep an eye on The buffet. For the rest of he week, when the manager was made aware, then the attention to detail was impeccable and he made a point to check more frequently. Food and drink quite expensive, but this was forgiven as we were in such palatial surrounding. Manhatten Bar was quiet and morbid. My suggestion is a bar on the beach, open in the evenings. Oh, the maitre d' in Turquoise, sullen and arrogant. Not good! Overall fantastic stay and matching service..

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank chriswatto
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2012

Dear Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.
I appreciate your comments and as you rightly mention, staff and their attentiveness to a request can shift an experience from good to great. I’m glad that our staff were able cater to your requests in a timely manner.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back for another relaxing getaway.

There are newer reviews for The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort

Reviewed 16 November 2012 via mobile

First of all i would like to begin by saying the lady doing our check in was really rude. She was not helpful and rude so i went to another receptionist who dealt and solved my problem.

The resort is breathtaking, we had the ocean suite and didnt wanna leave the room, in fact you dont really need to leave the resort!

There are a lot of activities to do which includes children's activities. There are around 3 or 4 restaurants and we liked the intl buffet (varieties plus taste) and we ate in the thai restaurant which we felt was quite bland in taste.

The hotel is clean and new and is maintained quite well. I would recommend holiday makers to go to this place as it is 10 min drive to Ferrari world.

Please watch out that the hotel has exaggerated prices for food and beverage and it took me ages to call either the butler or reception from the room.

Visit the hotel with your children however keep in mind that it will cost more than your usual 5star resort hotel

• Stayed: November 2012

Greetings from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort and thank you for taking the time to post your review. Firstly, I would like to apologize for the shortfalls in service during check in. However, I am pleased to read that your stay with us was pleasurable and you were able to unwind and relax. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 15 November 2012

Wouldn't it be a great thing for Tripadvisor to add a half option to the rating circle, because there's often the need for a half, right?

Half a pint of beer for instance has its place, just as half mast, half past, and a half moon.

You see the St Regis Saadiyat Island really is excellent, but 5 out of 5 means perfect and I'm not sure it was perfect in every way. There was the odd niggle but hardly worth mentioning. A bit like a pain that's not quite worth seeing the doctor about.

Don't get me wrong here, St Regis Saadiyat is truly fab! (do people still say fab?) but there is always the cost of that fab to take account of, and if you're going to charge top drawer prices then please make sure that's what you are, Fab! Great! Awesome! even Bad (the good version)!

As I always say everything is relative, if I'm paying £50 per night and they go beyond in service levels then its a great feeling, though when I'm paying considerably more, top prices, then you need to get it right.

I would recommend this place to anyone without fear of retribution, but then I am the fussiest bloke I know. So my 3 out of 5 might be some other fellas 4 or maybe 5.

For instance:

When it takes me an hour after ordering to get a Turkey club sandwich which turns out to be 3 finger slices of a rather dull sandwich, then I'm not that happy. Because I know how much I'm paying to stay there. But then it's not really worth mentioning. But I did anyway and I was dealt with impeccably by James the poolside manager whop ensured the delivery of probably the finest Pina Collada I've ever had (in a pineapple).

When I mentioned that room service had forgotten one day to provide me with either new towels or the varying array of fabulous shampoos and body scrubs I was greeted at 11 at night with a bag full of the stuff. Great but I kind of wanted not to be forgotten, and not to have to ask and be given a truckload.

If i write a message to the room service that the Pigeon also staying in room 303 had decided to show me his whereabouts by dropping his very regular membership[ card all over my terrace, I really did expect it to be cleared up the day I asked and not two days later with a terrace I could eat off.

So you see what I mean I hope, reactive excellence is ok but I'd much rather not have had to notice these things in the first place.

So truly great, the upsides are endless, the food was great in all restaurants, the cocktails are incredible, service fantastic when you get it, and yes I will go back and stay there again (probably).

particular highlights are the spa, Andrea was excellent, great service and a great massage. Karen the manager incredibly helpful too,

The Buffet was always excellent from breakfast through to dinner, always pretty much faultless for a buffet.

The rooms excellent, one of the best sleeps you're body will get. Bathrooms fantastic! Could have a better choice of movie if you need it as they advertise on the clips movies you can't actually watch.

Location was excellent out of the way of the city's yet a cab is so cheap you can get anywhere quickly for a reasonable price.

Pools and poolside ok but i think the service here was just not quite up to 5 star except for James who was an excellent poolside manager (if he was a manager it doesn't really matter).

By the way the F1 was incredible at Yas Island, worth every penny but make sure you take some earmuffs, it's loud!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Suchard12

Greetings from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort and thank you for your detailed feedback.
I appreciate your kind recognition of our team and for taking the time to individually name those that stood out. I’m sure they will be pleased with your comments. I would also like to take the opportunity to apologize for the shortfalls in service as we work constantly towards providing our guests with a bespoke and intuitive service at every juncture.
Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and I look forward to having you back at the resort.

Reviewed 14 November 2012

I live in Dubai and have stayed at the St. Regis for a couple of weekends this year. The hotel's location though quite isolated is beautiful if you are looking for an escape it's ideal.

The property is built on a really grand scale so though it's quite big it doesn't feel over crowded. The rooms are a great size and gorgeous with a really nice resort feel. The bathrooms are particularly luxurious with a lovely walk in shower, two separate basins and a huge freestanding bathtub.

We have eaten in their Asian restaurant and their Thai restaurant and both are really good. It's rare to find bad food anywhere in the Emirates but these are both well above average. The service in these restaurants is probably the best service in the whole resort and a credit to the restaurant managers.

There are 3 pools - an adult's only pool, a family pool and a lap pool. There is also the Arabian Gulf! The pool experience is really good with great loungers, towels etc.

Overall for the price this is probably one of the best bargains in the world at the moment! One small word of caution: during Ramadan Abu Dhabi is a lot stricter than Dubai and even as a Dubai resident...just an hour's drive away from Abu Dhabi we were caught by surprise. You can eat and drink freely in the evening once the fast has been broken but during the day you have to go to a screened area at the pool to get anything to drink. It was provided on a complimentary basis but it was a pain having to keep getting up from our sunbeds for a glass of water - particularly given the heat. So...my recommendation is to head to Dubai if you are visiting during Ramadan.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LJG69

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I am pleased to read that your stay with us offered a true resort getaway and that you took the time to experience our distinctly different dining venues. I will be pleased to share your kind feedback with our restaurant managers.
We look forward to welcoming you back for another relaxing weekend escape.

Reviewed 14 November 2012

A really wow hotel in every singly aspect, service i dought could be found in anywhere else, food is amazing in aspect of price, variety and quality. ameneties are amazing from the pools to the spa ad to the squash courts. rooms are so sexy to the extreme that you wont leave the room.

Room Tip: Just go and enjoy
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ahmed f

Dear Ahmed,

Greetings from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort and thank you for your words of praise.
It was our pleasure to have you stay with us and I am pleased to read that we delivered an experience beyond expectation during your stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Reviewed 12 November 2012

We live in Dubai and booked a family weekend away in Abu Dhabi for a change of scenery. The St Regis is part of a new development on Abu Dhabi's much vaunted Saadiyat Island. Having stayed in other St Regis properties, and knowing the competition between the two emirates, we had expectations that this hotel would equal Dubai's finest.

Sadly , the St Regis, Saadiyat was a big disappointment .

First , the layout - its supposed to be a destination resort , yet entry is via a rat run through the neighbouring villa development , so no sense of occasion on arrival . Secondly , design and appearance - the photos show a largish property , but in truth the place is enormous , unfortunately in an industrial rather than a palatial sense.

On entry , the lobby is a sea of beige , fine for a travel lodge or budget property , but not when aiming at the premium market , where rather more opulence and detailing is the order of the day.

The hotel was full on our arrival , due to a local Art Fair, and the front of house staff were in some disarray . In a town where there are regular conferences and events they will have to learn to cope - but can three check in/out tables really be expected to ?

We had booked two sea facing rooms for our family. Our check in clerk opened by informing me that the Art Fair ( which the hotel was sponsoring) meant that we had been "bumped" and that one of the rooms was not sea facing and that my wife and I would be separated from our children whose room would be in a different part of the hotel . Not a good start , especially as my protest was met with no apology . He then asked my 12 year old for " photo ID" as an occupant of the second room, saying it was UAE law ( not true for minors) .... words failed me (!).

As it turned out , neither room had full sea view .

The rooms themselves were fine , although a little lacking in space and over furnished . However, the let down was the industrial sounding air conditioning , which even on the lowest fan setting is very noticeable and loud enough to prevent restful sleep.

The hotel's restaurants can't cope when the hotel is full . The lobby restaurant was often full to over flowing , and without reservations, it was practically impossible to get a table for dinner , and even the beach restaurant gets fully booked at lunchtimes , ( we had some pre reservations, but the hotel should forewarn guests ). A word of warning about the signature Grill , one would think that the St Regis heritage would mean a New York style steakhouse, but its a mausoleum of a place with not a drop of atmosphere.

One of the prerequisites of any luxury resort hotel is a sense of space and peace and quiet in its public areas and gardens . As much of the hotel's footprint is built upon, ( over built ?) the public spaces were over crowded at times - the pool areas in particular became very full and noisy . Not good if you are planning a restful few days.

The beach itself is beautiful , with fine white sand and good swimming .

The St Regis , Saadiyat, is selling itself as an exclusive luxury beach resort, with everything that entails, ( including the pricing !) . In truth , it is more of a conference style hotel , surrounded by a villa/golf development , with a beach attached .

Room Tip: Whatever you think you've booked , check and double check , and even then expect pot luck !
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Corfuandy

Greetings from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort and thank you for your honest feedback. I am really sorry to read that your experience with us didn’t live up to your expectations.
I would welcome the opportunity to meet you should you be visiting the city again or staying with us and hopefully reassure you that this was an isolated incident. In the interim, I can be contacted at StRegis.Saadiyat@stregis.com.

Reviewed 10 November 2012

We just returned from a visit to Dubai and Abu Dhabi in October. We stayed at the St. Regis Saadiyat Island. We had a lovely and spacious corner room with a great terrace. Wonderful walk in shower! The pools were beautiful, as was the beach. We stayed for 3 nights but had daytime tours which left little or no time to enjoy the hotel and all it's amenities.

Service in the restaurants and bars was excellent -- everyone was friendly and attentive. As with every place in the UAE, the drinks were pricey and the wines really suboptimal for the price. Fortunately, there were plenty of creative craft cocktails to try.

We loved the Asian restaurant and bar as well as it's staff. The Manhattan lounge was a bit smokey for our taste, but again, it is not uncommon in the UAE. The breakfast buffet (of which I am not usually a fan) was ridiculous. Arabic, continental, Asian, Indian and Moroccan foods to try... and who can say no to fresh pancakes and waffles?

One complaint was that the butler (who was supposed to be available at all times) was conspicuously absent when we needed him.

The gym was excellent - one of the best I've seen in a hotel setting. Cardio equipment, good array of free weights and machines, plus a lap pool.

The location of Saadiyat Island put us at quite a distance from some of the things we wanted to see and do in Abu Dhabi. Still, the beach location was gorgeous. In years to come when they have completed the new Louvre, Gugenheim and Maritime museums on the Island, it will be quite THE destination.

Overall, really enjoyed the hotel and the service. Just wish we had more time!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Greetings and thank you for your kind review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and were able to indulge in the resorts vast facilities and services.
At St. Regis, we are commitment to providing our guests with an experience beyond expectation and take great pride in offering an authentic dining experience in all our venues. I am pleased that Sontaya offered you that excellent experience in regards to food and service.
We look forward to your return, and hopefully more time with us during your next stay.