“Excellent Hotel.. For Short Getaway”

The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort
Ranked #33 of 129 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Enjoyed this hotel during the long weekend celebrating the Islamic new year...
so it was me, my wife and 2 kids and nanny..
The place is easy to find.. its very new..

Service:
- check in was OK.. however there is no system to handle a large number of guests checking in at once.. so it was kinda of a mess.. since we didn't know who arrived first, or last etc.... some organizing needs to be done...
- room service was very good, quick and responsive - no issues there
- concierge was very good.
- dinner service was very good. waiters are very responsive to the guests.
- breakfast service wasn't very good, as it seems that once the restaurant get full or almost full, the staff loses control.. not enough tables... not enough staff, not enough baby seats... but the quality and variety of food make up for it..
- check out was very good easy... and no issues there

Facilities
- Adults pool is perfect for relaxing.... just perfect
- main pool is great as well... lots of space and overlooking the beach.. simply excellent
- the beach was very nice... toys of the kids. shoes for the kids, beach chairs etc... all where there, nothing is missing...
- the Kids Club - Sand Castle club is the Jewel of this hotel.. without it i wouldn't have enjoyed by weekend... the kids loved it.. they didn't want to leave .. they literally had to ask us to leave at closing time... kids from all ages will enjoy it 1 to 15 years old ... face painting, table tennis, PS3, Xbox, Wii, lots and lots of board games and stories and puzzle and roles play toys...
music, and dancing, this place is 10 out 10... if i ever consider going there again, it would be because of this Sand Castle club.. the staff and life guards are so so nice and helpful...
- the rooms were very nice and new.. bulking furniture, but nice and luxury all over...however had trouble operating the AC as at time i needed to shut it off but couldn't and had to open the balcony door...
- the bathroom were huge, with his and hers separate sinks, with a large bath tub, and a huge shower with rain shower head... its was just perfect....
- the lobby, and other facilities were just perfect 5 star all the way...

Price
- expensive place.. not cheap... but for a short get away.. it was worth it..

overall I would recommend this place to couples.. friends.. and mostly families the Sandcastle club will make it all worthwhile...

cheers

Room Tip: all the rooms are great.... a high floor would be nice
2  Thank ElesarA
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2012

Thank you for your detailed feedback and kind recommendation. I am glad you enjoyed the resort and our facilities and especially the Sandcastle Club, a popular destination indeed with our younger guests. The team at our children’s club will be very pleased with your comments.
We look forward to welcoming your family and you for another indelible stay.

John Pelling

Write a ReviewReviews (2,627)

Reviewed 19 November 2012

St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort is a very nice property. Fantastic rooms and nice surroundings. But we will not recommend this hotel to friends and unfortunately probably not return. We have visited a number of fantastic hotels in the region and are very impressed by the standard and service in the top five star hotels. Unfortunately the relatively new St. Regis did not fully live up to the standard of its competitors. Hopefully this can partly be explained by the fact that the hotel is new and that staff has not got the proper training yet. The main reason we did not find this hotel to be super was:
- Terrible concierge service, not one single booking worked out and very bad service and language skills. Restaurants, transportation, Golf etc. where not booked as agreed. This is not a disaster, but pretty annoying
- Too few restaurants to choose from if you are staying more than a few days
- Breakfast capacity not sufficient when hotel is fully booked.
On the positive side, this is really a good location, nice property, fantastic beach and a very nice kids club for small children. They also have a separate pool only for adults if you travel without kids. The St. Regis has a very nice staff and a few very good restaurants. Also the SPA, tennis and gym is nice.

Room Tip: If you want to go, sea veiw is a must!
2  Thank Eirikb

Dear Eirik

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and I am of course sorry that the level of service did not meet your expectations.
I would welcome the opportunity to discuss these issues with you and can be contacted at StRegis.Saadiyat@stregis.com or should you visit the city in the weeks ahead, please do contact me directly and I will attempt to change you view.
Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Positives

Excellent room decor and the bathrooms are incredible
Leisure spaces are great - pool areas, sports club and beach are all as good as I have encountered in the area
Breakfast buffet was a excellent - huge choice and all fresh, even later on in the service
Restaurant food generally was good

Negatives

Check in system needs to be better thought out. If i am asked to wait for someone to be available i dont expect random people to be able to waltz up and jump in front.
There was an issue with the shower plumbing - very tricky to regulate the temperature so it didnt scald
The air conditioning in the room woke me up everytime it kicked in! Top tip: slightly crack open the balcony door which trips out the AC and use the fan instead.
Used cotton buds on the floor from the previous occupier really isnt pleasant.
Restaurant service was generally poor, particularly in the fish restaurant. When you charge £15 for a few grilled prawns and £20 for some battered fish and 5 chips at least make sure you deliver the wine before the starters are finished, deliver all the mains (there were 3 of us dining) within 10 minutes of each other and remember what desserts we order. Plus, leaving the water and wine at the table would help so I dont need to ask someone everytime I want a top up.

All in all, I would say this place is 90% of the way there but it is the last 10% that is most critical when you advertise and charge for being a 'luxury' establishment.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Paul T

Dear Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. While I appreciate that you recognized our strengths, I do apologize for the shortfalls experience in certain areas. That said, I am confident that your next stay with us will be seamless in every aspect and live up to every expectation. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 17 November 2012

I have recently stayed at this hotel, which overall has not met my expectations.

One the one hand, hotel's location and rooms are amazing. A nice sea view and fully loaded rooms.

On the other hand, service is terrible and I honestly didn't expect this from a brand like St. Regis. I have stayed in other Starwood hotels like Sheraton and Le Meridien and service has been better, though St Regis is presumably more upscale.
First, upon check in, we asked for a late check out, and request wasn't attended to. Second, as we were checking the options for dinner at the first night, we discovered at three restuarnts were fully booked and only Olea serving open buffet is available, which was quite strange as this is a resort and I shouldn't be looking around the hotel for dinner venues noting that there arent. Anyway, we had no option but the buffet and we also made sure that no booking is required. Upon reaching the restaurant, we were a group of 10 and found a table for 10, but again it was disappointing to hear that is reserved, noting what we were told in the afternoon that no booking is required. Another upset. We didn't agree to sit on separate tables and we finally had this one just because of our disappointment. Simply the waiters are systemized, and they don't care about customer' preference. Anyway we had the dinner and the food was good, but not outstanding.

After dinner, we decided to have shisha and we headed to Turqoise. We asked earlier and were also advised that no booking is required, waiters told us that there is no availability and we should have reserved. After another set of arguing and debating, we finally managed to get a table.

Third and most important, the service by the pool has been extremely terrible, though much care shall be provided here as customers spend the full day here. Food was terribly late, just for a chicken nuggets for the kids we had to wait for more than an hour. Staff isn't trained at all about customer service.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank YE76

Dear Yasser,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. It is indeed disappointing to read your comments and I am sorry that we couldn’t deliver a bespoke experience. Should you be visiting the city in the near future, I would welcome the opportunity to meet you to discuss and hopefully reassure you that this was an isolated incident. In the interim, please feel free to contact me on StRegis.Saadiyat@stregis.com to share any further comments.
I apologize again for the service shortfalls and hope to see you back at the resort again.

Reviewed 17 November 2012

With a public holiday celebrating the Islamic New Year we have decided to leave Dubai and go for a short weekend to a resort to relax and enjoy. There were many, few were already tested and tried, few were completely new to us. So we decided to risk it and go somewhere new and the St. Regis was the place we choose.
To be honest it was either this of the Park Hyatt (same place), however, the kids club and activities made the voting swing towards the St Regis.
We arrived on a Wednesday before the rush starts. We checked in and a very friendly staff guided us to our room and explained to us the facilities of the hotel. We left the room in our bathing suits and hit the pools. The pools are extremely family friendly. At a 0.9 meters high, it was perfect for my daughter. However what really disappointed is the pool service. While my wife was sitting there it took them ages to bring her a menu or offer her something to drink. And once ordered, it took again a good time to bring her order.
The sea was our next adventure. It was a beautiful sea and the set up the hotel had was just perfect. With reclining seats available and the big collection of sea toys for kids to enjoy. Here, the service was much better, maybe because it was a smaller area.
After that we went to the kids Club. AMAZING. simply put, if you have kids under the age of 13 they will love the pool and the games in the pool. Even older kids will enjoy the ping pong tables, the PS3, XBox and Wii consoles. The many many many board games and the nice books collections. And the staff, super friendly and very helpful. In my opinion this is what we enjoyed most in the hotel.
The restaurant collection was good. Kids under 3 ate for free which was really a nice touch. However, after reading a review on the steak place we wanted to try it. We were told that it was a fine dining place and dress code applies. I was wearing shorts (which is what i always wear going to "BEACH RESORTS") and we were politely asked to leave. They actually offered us a table next to the door, but message received. Who opens a fine dining restaurant in a beach resort. Do they expect people to come in with their tux !
The next day was very very busy. The hotel was fully booked and we got the sense that they cannot handle a busy day. First the breakfast buffet was a bad experience. Juice glasses went missing and people held closely to the glasses they had. The Cinnamon role was finished and i waited almost half an hour hopping that it would be replaced by a new one and it never happened. Chairs were in a mess and staff were a bit confused and didn't know what to do. The same comments for dinner in the buffet place.
We also had the pleasure of dining in the thai place. The food was ok, however, the service was superb. The staff were friendly and very sociable which was nice. We made few friends there too.
Now the small things do matter to me. The welcome letter in my room was addressed to someone not me. The name was all wrong. When calling room service, it took them ages to answer the phone and when i tried booking for the Thai place, the guy said i will confirm with you in 10 minutes! Now don't they have systems showing them the bookings same time!! or at least transfer me to the thai restaurant !!

Overall, the Kids club made it worth our time and the smiling faces too, but I was really disappointed with the fact that such a great hotel with long history and status cannot handle a full booking! Its a 5 star hotel and its supposed to be able to handle such pressure. but overall, we had fun.

Room Tip: Kids Club is Fantastic
3  Thank Moe_The_Traveler

Dear Moe,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed the resorts facilities and especially appreciated Sandcastle Club and the service at Sontaya, our Southeast Asian restaurant. However, I would like to apologize for the shortfalls of service. I will discuss the same with my team as you rightly mention, it is the small things that make the difference.
I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again, with the assurance of a seamless experience.

Reviewed 17 November 2012

Extremely bad service, they ensure you have a bad experience from the time you park till you leave
1. We requested they get the luggage from the car, they left them and parked the car, they take ages to get back the car
2. We were informed that we have to wait in a que to get the the reception, we found guests going straight to the reception without having to wait
3. We got exactly opposite our room requested preferences, ofcourse they did not change the rooms as we were informed the hotel is full
4. If you order food and beverage, you need to give lead time 1 to 2 hours and there is a big probability to get a wrong order
5. To go out in the resort at night, we were informed all restaurants are fully booked except one which dose not need reservation, we went to the only restaurant that they told us is walk in and once we reached they informed us also that we had to reserve (most tables were available)
6. We went to terquase bar, we were also informed that we cannot be accommodated as we had to have a reservation, after hassle we sat and again tables were available without anyone all night
7. To get your car to leave the hotel we had to wait at list 30min

Stayed: November 2012
4  Thank MohamedYoussef
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2012

Dear Mohamed,

I am truly disappointed to read your comments and of course I am sorry for the shortfalls in service experienced during your recent visit.
You have a dim view of the hotel which is regretful and I would welcome an opportunity to discuss further with you. I can be contacted at StRegis.Saadiyat@stregis.com and I will attempt to change your view.

Reviewed 16 November 2012

Often you don't appreciate how good the service is in a hotel, until something isn't up to standard. It is only then that you experience how the staff react and I was impressed. Reading this you might think that I am being over fussy, but when the room we were staying in was a little noisy, without hesitation they switched us to a fantastic suite for the rest of my week residency. Little niggles at breakfast like having to ask for butter to be replenished, shouldnt be required, staff should keep an eye on The buffet. For the rest of he week, when the manager was made aware, then the attention to detail was impeccable and he made a point to check more frequently. Food and drink quite expensive, but this was forgiven as we were in such palatial surrounding. Manhatten Bar was quiet and morbid. My suggestion is a bar on the beach, open in the evenings. Oh, the maitre d' in Turquoise, sullen and arrogant. Not good! Overall fantastic stay and matching service..

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank chriswatto

Dear Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.
I appreciate your comments and as you rightly mention, staff and their attentiveness to a request can shift an experience from good to great. I’m glad that our staff were able cater to your requests in a timely manner.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back for another relaxing getaway.