“Quick transfer stay”

The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort
Ranked #31 of 127 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 7 December 2012

I must say up front that my wife and mines stay here was very brief, we arrived around 10:00 PM and left around 7:00 AM the next morning, just a quick overnight stay on our way from the US to the Maldives. The only reason I can't give this resort 5 stars is because since we were staying here as a transfer stay, we couldn't fully experience the resort. I must say the the standard King room is perfect, with a very large bathroom and very neatly appointed. We ordered room service and it arrived promptly and was very tasty. All in all, I can't wait to return when we can stay longer!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2012

Thank you for your feedback.
I am glad you enjoyed your time at the resort during your very brief time with us. We look forward to welcoming you back and next time with more time to fully experience our Mediterranean-inspired living and service excellence.

Reviewed 7 December 2012

I treated myself to a weekend at the St. Regis before a week-long meeting for work in Abu Dhabi. I was very impressed by everything about the property! From the moment I stepped foot in the lobby, I felt like I had been transformed to another world. The lobby is very dramatic and impressive, and the St. Regis butler service is always a special treat. I've stayed at several St. Regis's before, and I thought the butler service here was consistent with other properties. I received an room upgrade, which provided a stunning view of the beach. The room itself was immaculate and very comfortable in Western-style design (I actually wish it felt more "local").

I enjoyed several of the restaurants and didn't experience any of the service issues that a few other reviewers have mentioned. The adult pool was great, very comfortable and quiet. However, I thought the service at the pool wasn't consistent with the other areas of the hotel. It took some wandering around and asking people to get a drink and fresh towel. The beach was nice... of course it's not the Carribbean, but it is a wide and well-groomed beach.

I was very impressed by the spa. I had two treatments, both of which were terrific.

I would definitely return to the St. Regis for some quality R&R if I were in the region again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank jao1976

Dear Jao,

Thank you for sharing your kind words of appreciation. I am very pleased to read that your stay with us was transformational from the moment you arrived in the lobby, and until departure as it is our uncompromising pursuit to offer our guests a bespoke experience. And indeed, the St. Regis Butler Service is a corner stone of our service excellence to assist in delivering a memorable stay.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back shall you be in the region.

Reviewed 6 December 2012

Myself and my wife stayed in this hotel for 4 nights as it had been highly recommended by friends who live in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. We flew during the day so did not arrive at the hotel until around 10pm (Abu Dhabi airport passport control was a nightmare and a rip off and took over an hour for us to get through having eventually crumbled and paid the extra cash to 'Fast Track'- be warned!). After a quick hiccup at check in which was soon sorted out we went to our room and were very impressed with what we found. It was huge with everything you could want. On closer inspection it appeared the room was not particularly clean (bits of food on the floor in the corners, children's stickers stuck on the frosted glass door dividers between the bedroom and the bathroom area - none of which were cleaned at any point during our stay despite hotel staff being in our room at least twice a day to carry out the usual services) but nothing which put us off too much.

The breakfast buffet was fantastic. So much so that we only ate lunch one day at the hotel by one of the very appealing and well tended pools and that was very nice indeed. The steak restaurant 55 & 5th was superb. We had an amazing dinner in there one night and we would highly recommend it. Also in room dining was very tasty and efficient and we did this a couple of times also.

The spa was great. We both partook in massages. We had 90 minute treatments which were reasonably priced and then I spent a further 45 minutes or so enjoying the steam room, jacuzzi, sauna and plunge pool afterwards with no pressure to hurry.

We do have to mention that one nights sleep was ruined as one of the restaurants, Turquoise, was hosting an event and the music was at a ridiculous level. My wife was 7 months pregnant at the time and despite phoning the main desk to complain firstly at 11.45 (they advised the music would be turned down/off shortly) the volume didn't let up until 1.45am. This was extremely frustrating and really put a damper on our relaxing stay. When I spoke with management the following day I asked what was going on and they advised there was a wedding in the hotel and the venue was booked out or a private function. Considering the size of the hotel and the fact they knew we were there to relax and knew we were nothing to do with the event I am bemused as to why they put us in one of the rooms which was so close to the venue. Eventually the management agreed to give my wife a free massage in the spa as compensation but only after I suggested it.

In summary we did enjoy our stay but with the amount of other hotel options on offer I would not hurry back. They are famed for their butler service but we did not really see much evidence of this to be honest.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Candy100

Dear Candy,

Thank you for your detailed feedback.
I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your overall stay with us, with dining at 55&5th, The Grill, our signature venue, being the highlight. I do apologize for the noise level experienced on account of the private event at one of our venues. I am however confident that your next stay with us will be flawless in every sense and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 3 December 2012

My 30th birthday was coming up and we decided to spend it in the Emirates with the goal to relax. We could not decide between Dubai or Abu Dhabi as the offer of hotels are just enormous. My travel agent suggested the St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort to us. After reading a few reviews online we gave it a go.

As our flight was scheduled to land in Dubai very early in the morning I contacted the hotel shortly before our trip and asked if it is possible to have a room available when we get there (an early check-in). Furthermore I asked to make reservations for an appointment in the spa. My emails were answered in a short time and I was told that everything will be as requested.

We arrived at the hotel Sunday at 9 am. The check-in was very smooth. Our room was ready and our luggage was taken care off. So I was happy. However, the welcome could be improved by offering the guest something to drink or any kind of refreshment. But in the room were free water bottles, so it was ok with me.

The room:
We had a Superior Sea View Room on the fourth floor. The room was large enough, clean, and equipped with a big King-Size Bed, Flat-Screen TV, Sofa, and a desk with two chairs.
The bathroom was divided into five parts: the toilet, washing area for her, shower, washing area for him, and bathtub with window view.
Everything was clean and a good condition.

As said, the water in the room was complementary as well the peanuts. Furthermore, in the evening the room service made the room “ready for the night” and provided little treats.
Disappointing was that the peanuts were not refilled during our stay.

The air conditioning was also a little bit too loud. As it was not really hot during our stay we turned it off during the nights. I guess that in the summer months this could become a problem.

The pool and beach:
It has to be noted that the hotel has an Adult pool and Family pool. The pool area is beautiful and very spacious. There are a lot of service staff around this area. They are very friendly and helpful. Furthermore Lifeguards are around. The beach is ok – it is not comparable with the Caribbean! The hotel cleans this area regular but you can not get rid of all stones but you can definitely have a good time at the beach. Even at the beach you can enjoy the full hotel service (lounger, towels, ordering drinks & food, etc.) as well as a lifeguard.

What could be improved: The short walk to the pool area could be cleaned. The tiles could be scrubed.

Food:
The hotel offers various restaurants. In the morning we had the breakfast buffet which was good. Quite variety of food, fruits, etc.
A problem here is the architecture of the restaurant. You can sit inside and outside. There are three doors and people walk through all of them, resulting in air draughts.
I also have to say that it is not a good idea to clear the tables in the outside area and collecting all the dirty plates, bowls, and glasses outside on big trays. Birds were flying around and trying to get some of the leftovers. Bring the trays into the kitchen directly.

The other hotels range from very good (55&5th) to good (Sontaya) to bad (Turquoiz).

I also have to mention that I think the prices for drinks and food are way to high!!!

Tipp: We also enjoyed dining in our room. The food was good and I can only recommend to do it.

Spa and Sports.
The hotel has a spa, an Athletic Club, and a Golf course.
As we do not play golf I can not say something about this offer. However, the golf course looked good to me and there were people playing 

Particularly noteworthy is the Athletic Club: 3500 square meters and with a 25m equipped swimming pool. Excellent staff, great equipment, great course program and a fabulous atmosphere – I have not seen something similar in other hotels.

The spa is also equipped very good – sauna, steaming room, whirlpool. The prices for massages and treatments are ok and we both enjoyed a massage.

Would I come back?
Yes, but not until 2015. Abu Dhabi and Saadiyat Island are just enormous building projects. There is a lot of construction ongoing (Guggenheim, Louvre, etc.). There will also be more hotels on Saadiyat Island by then and I hope with this, prices will go down with quality staying as good as it is.

Room Tip: Book Sea View!
1  Thank nordischboy

Thank you for your detailed and honest feedback.
I am happy you were able to experience our facilities during your time with us and have highly rated our gymnasium and spa. Your feedback on some of the areas mentioned has been well noted and shared with the concerned teams.
Thanks you again for choosing to stay with us and I am confident that your next stay with us will be beyond expectation.I look forward to your return.

Reviewed 2 December 2012

A lovely hotel with great service! The staff were very welcoming and helpful, we were escorted to the room! the room was lovely and spacious, lacked a good view, but very clean! We enjoyed having the luxurious bathroom! On the downside, we found it very inconvenient to contact a butler to deliver tea and coffee when a coffee machine is a better investment! My wife was disappointed that a blow dryer wasn't available either.

However, beautiful hotel and looking forward to our next visit!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
It’s always a pleasure to read about our staff being warm and attentive as that is one of our cornerstones in delivering a bespoke experience.
I do apologize that you were unable to locate the hair dryer but as standard, it is available in all rooms. Your butler would have been happy to assist you with the same as they are available to attend to your every need. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 29 November 2012

The St. Regis chain is proud of its high level of service, particularly it's nearly patented butler service. Apparently the memo never reached this hotel. Nearly every interface with the staff has exposed comic ineptitude. The large problem: I needed to speak to a doctor because of a suddenly painful tooth and suspected infection so I called the number listed in the hotel directory. The person who answered couldn't understand what I needed so thank goodness it was not an emergency situation. 3 calls later I finally got through to a doctor who by the way was quite good. The small problems: the maid made off with our robes and didn't replace them, requests to the butler for a razor went unfulfilled, the phone message light won't turn off, blinking all night, and no one knows how to fix it, a request for a car several hours ahead of time was met with a "we have no cars because we have too many pick ups at the airport", a request for a car one and one half days in advance was met with repeated mistakes and call backs as to the day and time of the reservation ( since I'm still here only time will tell if they get it right), and they only randomly attend to the mini bar. To be fair, the property is beautiful.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Oobadooba
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and I apologize for the shortfalls in service.
I would welcome the opportunity to discuss these issues with you and can be contacted at StRegis.Saadiyat@stregis.com or should you visit the city in the weeks ahead, please do contact me directly and I will be happy to meet with you.
Our sincere apologies and I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you again and attempt to change your view.

Reviewed 29 November 2012

Stayed here with my wife and my brother and his wife, check in took a bit long, but he rooms are super cool. Huge property, We had the friday brunch at the hotel, good value for money. Huge selection of food and no shortage of it either. Only stayed one night and overall good hotel with plenty to do and plenty off outlets to relax.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed the resorts' facilities and especially appreciated our guest rooms which are refined in design and well-appointed to represent the resort’s Mediterranean flair. Friday Brunch at Olea, our all day dining restaurant, is indeed very popular for its wide selection and the alfresco seating and I am glad you enjoy it.
I am looking forward to your return.