“A few things that really bug me in hotels... and how St Regis measured up”

The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort
Ranked #29 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“A few things that really bug me in hotels... and how St Regis measured up”
Reviewed 31 January 2013

This was my second visit to St Regis Saadiyat for work. Having been impressed by its magnificence (and friendly staff) the first time - and it being the weekend - I decided to stay overnight. My husband joined me as we were keen to compare it with the Park Hyatt next door, which we adored (especially the Park Bar & Grill and the Beach restaurant).

Topline: the Park Hyatt has a sleeker, more grown-up designer feel - great for elegant couples - and a wilder, more beautiful stretch of beach. St Regis is better suited to families and groups and is right on the golf course. It also has a cracking Thai restaurant and an excellent if expensive steakhouse. And I think the service is slightly better. Didn't try the spa.

St Regis is a beautiful hotel and even the standard rooms are gloriously spacious and comfortable. Unfortunately it also reminded us of some things that really get on our nerves in hotels (everywhere, not just the UAE)...

ZIPPY BEDS. We chose a King over a Twin room. So we didn't expect a zippy bed. The bedding was lush and I slept well but my husband kept rolling into the inevitable dip and waking up. It's our firm belief that if a King bed consists of two beds zipped together this should either be stated at time of enquiry OR disguised with a Princess & the Pea-thick mattress topper so that you would never guess. Big fail!

ENDLESS HOUSEKEEPING CALLS. Sometimes you just want to be left alone, right? While I worked, my husband tried to watch TV, read, rest, snooze etc. Housekeeping swung by 3 times to deliver a) two chocolates b) a really unattractive white banqueting plate of fruit (apple, orange, dried apricot)) and cheap nuts c) turndown service. Why not just one call? There could have been more 5 attempted calls for all we know... but by now he'd found the Do Not Disturb sign.

UBER SERVICE. St Regis has divine, spacious bathrooms (with loads of storage for toiletry bags, hurrah) and huge egg-shaped bathtubs, super-deep, with excellent water pressure. However, no bubble bath or bath salts are provided. So my baffled husband used shower gel to get bubblicious. When I reminded him that the lady who showed us to our room said "if you would like to use the tub please call the Butler who will prepare your bubble bath for you". he said "Seriously? I thought she was joking!" The Butler service, supposedly the hotel's killer app, is a little over-hyped; when we called the Butler to make restaurant reservations there was no reply. Next day we waited so long for a response re late checkout that we had to call back to ask again. They did offer to unpack our bags though, which is nice, but when we got back from lunch 2 hours later our bags still weren't in the room so everything was creased.

POOLS WITH TOO MUCH SHADE. St Regis has an elegant adult-only navy-tiled swimming pool with jet beds, water loungers, giant hammock, massage cabana etc. It's genuinely peaceful, with a decent food and drinks menu. If you don't have children in tow this pool alone is a great reason to visit St Regis. But it's sadly mostly shaded by the hotel looming above, at least in January. Sun worshippers beware!

QUEUING FOR BREAKFAST. We must have waited 20 minutes for a breakfast table (partly because there was a 250-strong corporate group staying in the hotel). It was worth the wait though, with one of the most varied and cosmopolitan spreads we've seen. I'm ashamed to say I dipped into smoked salmon hash, turkish eggs, a zataar & feta pancake, a cheese tagine and a mango yoghurt. It was all fabulous but (apart from the freshly prepared pancake) cold as this was the end of breakfast service. It must be amazing at 9am!

UNINTUITIVE PHONE SYSTEMS. The telephone system is pretty complicated. On the upside, the lighting is much more straightforward than at, say the Shangri-La or the Fairmont.

TripAdvisor brings out the whinger in me but niggles apart, we'll definitely return. It's a gorgeous hotel and offers a thoroughly pleasant and relaxing experience.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DanielleNay
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this review, 6 March 2013
Dear Danielle,

Thank you for your very detailed feedback and review on us. It was a pleasure to read all the details as some areas that you highlight truly bring out the resort’s Mediterranean-inspired design and our bespoke touches - be it the spacious rooms, authentic cuisine and signature butler service that includes unpacking and packing of your luggage. I’m sorry to hear that your partner did not utilize the bath that our trained butlers put together, perhaps on your next stay with us. And while I thank you for the kind feedback and recommendation, I apologize for the shortfalls in service in some areas. I look forward to your return very soon.

John Pelling,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Only called in here for a drink. We had just been to the mosque, and wanted a drink before we checked in at the Yas Viceory
Great hotel, the pool area looked fantastic, with an adults only section if you wanted some peace!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank molliemo1
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this review, 17 February 2013
Dear Mollie,

Thank you for choosing us at the venue for the drink by the pool. We pride ourselves in offering our guests Mediterranean-inspired ease and as such have several areas to suit families with children, young couples and even individual travellers, be it our leisure facilities or our food & beverage venues.
I hope the next time you visit you have more time with us and can fully experience our resort’s facilities.

Hampshire
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Difficulties from the start. Booked two rooms for a family of 4. On arrival rooms were floors apart and had a very long check in trying to get both rooms near to each other.
Hotel very pleasant but service inconsistent. One day you get a pot of coffee the next just a cup on its own. Same with room service, inconsistencies with the food.
Restaurants limited in choice if the buffet is not your thing. Restaurant food generally very good 55&5th is excellent.
Prices for food drinks etc are eye wateringly expensive and takes the pleasure out of eating. Most meals circa £100 / head incl starter / desert and a few drinks but with two children there was not much drinking done! Breakfast buffet not our thing and again very expensive.
All round the Hotel is very pleasant. The build quality comes up short here and there. The plumbing in our room was falling apart.
The rooms however are very good standard and size.
Overall, a pleasant stay but still counting the cost. Not value for money.

Room Tip: All rooms are good we had sea view.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SMEEDY
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am glad you had a pleasant stay at the resort and managed to experience our bespoke offerings, including our signature venue 55&5th, The Grill.
We look forward to your return.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Wife, 15 month old and myself stayed for 4 nights in December. We loved the place. Everyone was so friendly. The grounds were well maintained and the general areas of the hotel e.g. lobby etc were spacious and grand.

Room - we didn't pay too much so our room didn't have a view (most rooms had ocean views but for the price we paid i am not surprised we didn't get one!) but the room itself was very good. Bathroom was huge and the toiletries were good quality.

Pool - They pool was very nice however it did get busy. I am not sure if there were enough sun lounges so get down early.

Kids club - This was fantastic. Kiddies pool was great. The club had different rooms depending on the age. The staff there loved playing with the kids and were very good. This hotel is fantastic if you have kids!!

Restaurants - we had dinner in the Thai restaurant 2 nights and thought it was pretty good. Being from Sydney we eat lots of Thai and we were impressed with this place. We ate at the buffet place one night. That was good however the food prices at this hotel do seem very very expensive. I was pleasantly surprised at the cost of a beer (25 ++) . Not as pricey as in Dubai (45ish ++)!! If I were to stay here again (I do recommend staying) it might be worth getting a meal package.

General Service - Everyone of the staff were great, very friendly and would help as much as they could. There were the odd times where you would ask someone for something and they would forget, or you had to chase as they were slow.

The hotel was out of town but after going into the centre one day I don't think that matters! Not much to do in Abu Dhabi except see the Grand Mosque (beautiful) and Ferrari world. The only other thing to do is enjoy the resort your staying at!

Overall we were very happy with the hotel and our stay. We just wished we could of spent more time there.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Scooter_in_London
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.
I am pleased your family and you were able to unwind and experience the resort’s Mediterranean-inspired ease. For your next visit, I highly recommend time at our spa - Iridium Spa – to further enrich your experience with us.
I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 25 January 2013

We absolutely loved our family break at the St. Regis Abu Dhabi. My brother, who made the booking, informed the staff that it was my birthday and we were surprised by chocolates and cake in the evening as well as an upgrade to a mini-suite. While the hotel is still working out some service issues (a few things, like room service and getting the bill at a restaurant, took longer than expected) we were absolutely delighted with the quality of the rooms, restaurant, beach, and kids club. I was especially surprised when members of the kids club staff greeted my children by name as we walked through the resort. My only wish - a couple of non-motorized water sports, such as kayaking and sailing. Hoping to return soon for another tranquil escape from busy Dubai!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this review, 31 January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of us.
I am pleased to read that your stay with us offered a true resort getaway and that you took the time to experience our distinctly different dining venues. I will be delighted to share your kind feedback with our team.
We look forward to welcoming you back for another relaxing weekend escape from hustle and bustle of Dubai.

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 25 January 2013

We stayed just 2 days at the St. Regis to try, about 7 month before we stayed at the emirates Palace. The Hotel is very tasteful furnished, it has a bit a modern touch - we liked it.
The Staff is mostly friendly. The food at the Restaurant as well as from the room service is nice. The Butlers - it depend which one you have - for example in one room there were nuts and fruits when we arrived in the other not (both room had the same category). In one room the bath foam was missing - so you can be happy with your Butler or not.
The kits club “sandcastle” is very nice and the staff there very friendly and helpful.
The Pool and beach area is nice, the staff at the beach also very helpful and friendly not so at the pool – we were a bit disappointed – we had to get the towels by ourselves, no water, no cool towels (like in the Emirates Palace).
Next time we will perhaps try again, we will see.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Beat F
Dear Beate,

Thank you for your kind review and for choosing to stay with us. While I appreciate your kind recognition of our staff, I am sorry for the shortfalls experienced in service at the pool. I will discuss these with my team.
I look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

St. Regis at al Sadeyyat Abu Dhabi is pne of the best hotels in Abu Dhabi. lovely and high class resort very luxory excellent for honey mooners. they have variety of resturants .highly recommended. you must try.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Ismael,

Thank you for your kind feedback. I am happy you enjoyed our distinct dining venues and were able to fully indulge in the resorts Mediterranean inspired flare.
We are looking forward to seeing you again in the near future.