“May be its all depends on your timing...”

The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort
Ranked #30 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I booked St. Regis Saadiyat because of her beach and layout of the hotel, and may be I booked way ahead the price was very good. My stay was the first week of May. And then I found out that the hotel was fully booked for the week. I was quite worry because I seldom see a renown 5 star hotel brand would receive such mixed reviews...from "highly recommend" to "worst experience ever". I anticipated that the situation and service will even worse for a full house scenario. I don't want (and no one does) the hotel experience to damage my precious vacation and so I tried to contact my travel agent and seek for possibility to change another hotel. And fortunately the request was declined.

The hotel itself, as many had already commented, is great in many ways. I think it suits even better for people who has more time to stay in a hotel to enjoy the facilities like the pool, and especially for beach lovers, I would say this is a perfect choice.

It was a early flight so I arrive at the hotel at 9:30 a.m. and they were able to give me an early check-in at around 11:00a.m. although the hotel was full. The check-in process did take longer than most hotels because the three check-in counters (or front desks) are designed for looking good but not for efficiency. I noted that the staffs has to go around many times in order to get the job done. I also noted that the management was trying very hard to satisfy all the guests (may be due to the continuous negative reviews). Once they found me waiting at the lobby, someone will come to you and ask if I need help. Some of their caring for customers are genuine, and some seemed to be 'professional reflex'.

I didn't encounter any problem or confusion when having breakfast @ Olea, as some reviews had. Food, in my opinion, was just above average. I just didn't feel good because I believe most of the food prepared will be disposed (way too much than needed for consumption). The service of the waiters and waitress were adequate, although still have room for improvement. It's hard to say in which way...just I didn't feel the warm service that some other hotels able to offer. Also ate at the Vietnam Restaurant and had a great experience.

Therefore, I have no reservation to recommend this hotel, based on the hardware (room, facilities and beach) of the property. And if you want to enjoy a vacation and some misses in the services do not bother you much, this is a great hotel to relax. I believe the diversities of comments may due to : 1. the timing of your visit, 2. you run into some less experienced employee, 3. you really desired to be pampered...Anyway, these are the reasons why we pay premium prices for a 5 star hotel--looking for good and consistent services in all circumstances.

As we are on vacation, just relax.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Stregis_Management, Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2013

Dear Samson,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and glad to read that we delivered on promise and your stay with us was enjoyable.

I look forward to welcoming you again, perhaps during the cooler months.

Reviewed 17 May 2013

I recently took the wife and two boys (10 and 4) to the St Regis on Saadiyat Island in Abu Dhabi for a Mother's Day celebration. I knew the hotel would be 5 star (which it was), but what amazed me most was the color of the Arabian Sea (Persian Gulf to US folks) in contrast with the clean white sand. I felt like I was in the Bahamas or the Maldives. With the palm trees swaying and the comfortable loungers, the great poolside and beach service and the large infinity pools (one for families and one for adults), it was a great, peaceful getaway for the whole family. The bathroom layout in the room was awesome with a deep bathtub next to a big window looking out over the beautiful sea (for the modest, there is a remote control for the privacy curtain). The rest of the room had plenty of space for the four of us with a nice balcony overlooking the pool and sea. The food menus for room service, poolside and the Turquoz (seafood restaurant on the beach with scenic outdoor veranda) are limited on choices, but the food was good. I've paid a lot more at other hotels in the UAE for a lot less, so I will be going back to the St Regis for my 'island getaway'.

Room Tip: Definitely get a sea view to make you feel like you are in 'the islands'.

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for choosing to spend Mother’s day with us. I am truly delighted we were able to offer your family and you a tropical experience with our location on Saadiyat’s pristine beach.
Your kind words are much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back for another unforgettable island getaway.

Reviewed 14 May 2013

I have to be fair. Giving 5 stars to St Regis Saadiyat Island would be the same rating a I gave to Emirates Palace and Alva Park in Spain, and that would not be fair as Emirates Palace and Alva Park are service wise better hotels.

The beach at St Regis is beautiful and the fitness centre is one of the best we ever saw at a hotel. (both, beach and the fitness centre, are better as in Emirates Palace)
The rooms and bathrooms in St Regis are very nice indeed. We never heard neighbours or other guests so the rooms are noise-proved. Air-conditioning was loud but if you switch it to the lowest fan at night, you will have a nice rest in the comfortable beds.

We travelled with 2 teenagers and had a preference for connecting rooms. As we arrived we could not have connecting rooms although a had a confirmation from the hotel (e-mail) with me that we would have connecting rooms. Reading on Tripadvisor the reviews about the check-in procedures I wrote a few weeks in advance an e-mail to the GM mister Pelling, about the connecting rooms. When we arrived we where told (in a very respectful way) that mister Pelling died in a car accident a week earlier. I was shocked and felt really sorry. The employees where very shocked indeed but professional. Our condolences to the family.

Eventually a very nice and understandable assistant-manager Maxim (I do not remember his Christian name) was able to manage us connecting rooms the next day and that was really nice. You have to take into consideration that the employees working at the hotel come from 28! different countries, often leaving their families for a long time to earn some money. No doubt there will be cultural and linguistic problems which are hard to solve.

The hotel was fully booked at the time we were there (first week of May 2013) and yes when the hotel is fully booked it is crowded. Sometimes you have to wait for a table but I did not mind that. As we were on holiday we had the time on ourselves. We were happy sitting outside having a nice diner in the evening. The employees work very hard to satisfy everyone, which is a hell of a job. Thanks to Jasper from the Philippine’s ( and
some of his co-workers) who literally ran for us, we had really enjoyable evenings.
The food at Olea (buffet restaurant) is quiet good and we always found something tasteful to eat. Wine and beer are very expensive, but we knew that in advance. We had Lebanese wine which was fine.

I went to the beautifull and serene Spa and had a very nice facial and a foot massage. There is also a beauty salon (right in the Spa entrance hall) where a had a pedicure

The pool area is beautiful and the pool attendants do their utmost to provide everyone with sunloungers, towels and umbrellas. There are cold towels, lots of water, fruit sticks and ice tea to lead you through the warm/hot moments off the day. The weather was very nice, sun and wind, a turquois sea and a white beach…..in a lush garden; what more do you want?

Room Tip: we had a standard room and our room had a city view which was nice especialy at night.
1  Thank HelenaNetherlands

Dear Helena,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and for recognizing our staff and their efforts to offer our guests the best St. Regis stay. I am certain Maxim and Jasper will be delighted to read your feedback.
I look forward to welcoming your family and you for another indelible stay.

Reviewed 13 May 2013

I stayed with a few friends and generally speaking the quality of the resort is excellent. The staff is super friendly and helpful. The rooms are small. And when we were there it took ages to get our car back from the valet as the parking lot was flooded. I assume this is because the resort is new and there are some teething issues. Otherwise the stay was great. The other issues is that there are only 3 checkin desks for such a huge resort. For people to wait to check is over 15 minutes is unacceptable. They need to add more desks and increase the efficiency a bit. We were there for the entire day. We did not sleep in the hotel room, but left at about 2am in the morning due to personal commitments the next day in Dubai.

Room Tip: The rooms are generally small. But they all have a balcony with a small view of a construction site...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Stregis_Management, Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on our friendly staff and a setting on the pristine sands of Saadiyat. We hope you will return soon and enjoy waking up at the resort to views of the turquoise blue ocean.

Reviewed 12 May 2013 via mobile

Hotels like the St Regis certainly are 5 stars with regards to the property. Suitcase went missing for about 60 minutes. I had to follow up 3 times.
No check in until 3 pm but you can see the hotel is definitely not full. OK so I have just driven from Dubai but you will let me know when a room is ready ? Of course - I had to follow up. Got the room at 14.15. Special concession. In future I will stay in hotels in Abu Dhabi where I am treated like a guest.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank AKR001

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and our sincere apologies on the delays at check-in. We are diligently working on improving a few areas and hope that you will allow us to rectify the situation, should you intend to return on a different occasion.

Reviewed 12 May 2013

I live in Dubai and a few friends planned to visit this hotel for the weekend. I have to stay the rooms and the property are excellent, The views from the rooms and the thai restaurant are amazing. The food is amazing and the variety on the menu is great. But the service of the hotel is one of the worst i have experienced in St Regis ( i have stayed in a lot of the St Regis properties) and also would be one of the worst in any five star hotels i have stayed at. The bags took over an hour to be brought to us once we had checked in the food we ordered in the evening took about the same time. The next day one of the servers in the all day dining was extremely rude to us when we asked them where we could get pasta and pizza for our kids. I would recommend this property for the views and the rooms but would warn you do not expect too much in service.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. Whilst I am delighted to read your positive feedback on the resort’s setting and on dining at Sontaya, I would like to apologize for the shortfalls in service. It is truly disappointing to read your comments as our staff are often recognized for their warm, friendly and efficient service. We take guest feedback seriously and your comments have been shared with the concerned departments in an endeavor to enhance our guests experience. We hope you will allow us to rectify the situation by returning on a different occasion as I am certain your next stay will be seamless in every aspect.

Reviewed 12 May 2013

My husband and I have just returned from doing the weekend brunch package at The St Regis, Saadiyat Island. I have to say from arrival to departure, the service was faultless and attentive without being overbearing. The staff are very well trained and show a genuine interest for the hotel guests which makes the whole experience wonderful.

Guest rooms are spacious, modern and very clean with the most comfortable bed I have slept in for years! Bathrooms are gorgeous and very well thought out. I had requested in advance for an anniversary cake (our wedding anniversary) to be left in our room, which I have to say was not there when I arrived. I thought that maybe it would be there later on after returning from brunch but still was not. I contacted Concierge and they told me they had no record of a cake being requested. Again however within I would say maximum an hour, there was a knock on the door and a cake with 'Happy Anniversary' piped on the plate in chocolate!

BRUNCH

Attentive service and the most delicious sangria and free flowing bubbles. Large selection of food. However I would just like to comment on the following - selected some large unpeeled prawns and I have absolutely no problem pulling the head and tails off myself, but what I do not want to do is actually 'clean' the prawns at the table as out of the 6 I selected, 4 had not had their 'vein' taken away. I handed them to the chef and within 5 minutes, he had sent back a plate of beautifully clean prawns for me so cannot again fault the service, I think I may just have been unlucky. Roast beef carvery - when I went to the service station, there was no chef present, I waited 5 minutes and also asked another member of staff if somebody could please come to carve the beef joint for me, but nobody came, in the end, I took it into my own hands and carved the joint myself, which was fine. Yorkshire pudding left standing so hard and not edible and gravy was only just tepid. Also, around 3 pm (stop serving at 4 pm), the dessert selection was dwindling down and many items not being replaced. As I said, these are just small matters were there could be room for improvement but certainly did not spoil the buffet experience.

In the evening (still completely full from brunch), we strolled down to Turquoiz, the beach restaurant/bar. We sat outside and at 10 pm complimentary cocktails were given to the ladies. Again, service perfect but what surprised me was that even though this is a beach bar/restaurant, the beach is not lit up in anyway so you basically do not have any real view. I found this quite strange considering obviously so much money and attention has been paid to providing nighttime lighting and ambiance to the rest of the resort and outside area.

Breakfast the following morning was perfect. Weather was good enough to sit outside without being too humid. Cappuccino lovely, fresh juices, wide selection of food all matched with superb service.

After breakfast we went and sat by the adult only pool. Again, outstanding service around the pool from complimentary water and iced tea to cold towels. Ordered a Pina Colada which was served in a pineapple!

All in all a great two day getaway. I am a real stickler for customer service as it seems to be a dying art nowadays but I have to say that The St Regis delivered hands down and I can honestly say, many other hotels and service related establishments would do well to take a leaf out of their book.

Room Tip: Look at doing the weekend brunch package which includes brunch, breakfast and a late check-out.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed feedback and for rating us so highly. It is certainly a moment of pride for myself and my team to read such wonderful comments and am delighted we were able to offer you a true St Regis experience. Your constructive feedback has also been well noted and shared with the venue manager.

Thank you again for your kind feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back and am certain your next stay with us will be seamless in every aspect.