“Top Abu Dhabi Hotel”

Ranked #30 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
“Top Abu Dhabi Hotel”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

As Abu Dhabi residents, we are lucky to have access to fabulous hotels and restaurants across the Emirates and we regularly indulge in mini staycations. St Regis is, without any doubt, my favourite hotel experience in the 5 years we have lived here. The hotel is stunning. A magnificent reception area overlooking the azure waters of saadiyat island. The staff are attentive and polite, remembering names and welcoming back on the many times we have returned to eat in the restaurants. The rooms are beautifully decorated and well appointed - I could have slept for a week in that bed!! The sea views are well worth the extra cost, and being ale to sit in the tub and look out across the beach was a great touch. I do not have a single complaint about the style and quality of the room, superb. The contents of the mini bar was many and varied and no complaints there either! The only slight issue was that our room wasn't ready until 3pm (although to be fair to them, this is the standard check in time) but to make up for it we got a 6pm check out.

The pool and beach facilities are great, and both the adult and children's only pools are a great addition - the sunken pool sun loungers are a must in the hot weather. The beach was not crowded and the bar service was quick.

We have eaten at the hotel on many occasions. 55 and 5th was great, although not my favourite steak restaurant in the city. Turquoise offers some great seafood, the sardines are a particular favourite. Afternoon tea in the drawing room is delicious and can be served outside the Manhattan lounge which feels more secluded.

This was a flawless stay and I cannot rate the hotel high enough.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank laurajg79
Stregis_Management, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this review, 23 June 2013
Dear Laura,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback and for rating us as your ‘favourite hotel experience in 5 years’. I am delighted to read we were able to offer you a true St. Regis getaway and look forward to welcoming you back for another flawless experience.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I surprised my husband with a relaxing escape over the long weekend to St. Regis Abu Dhabi, a hotel which is known to be very classy!
Well, I am truly shocked! Have so many negative points to mention here yet some fair and positive feedback! Certain disappointing points were that:
1) During check-in with a lady called Sonja, we were given a ‘suite’ while our booking.com reservation was for a normal King room. Knowing what might happen at the check-out and to avoid being charged for a suite, I stated to Sonja that our booking is for a King room, that was when after she, being surprised and spending time checking the system and talking to DOR, she started acting quite weirdly and totally not professional by saying: “Oh, there is something fishy going on here!”
Excuse me? We never asked to be upgraded and even if this happens sometimes due to over occupancy of the hotel, a guest should never be treated as: Oh, you lucky people…! What have you done to deserve/get this upgrade!
2) Anyways, we checked in at a so called ‘Sea view’ room, as per Sonja, which then turned out to overlooking the construction on Saadiat island. We even got more surprised to see someone before us has helped himself/herself with the welcome fruit basket! When we informed the “Butler” service, what she did was regretfully removing the fruit basket and NEVER replacing it!
3) More surprised we became by the stains we found on the bathroom mat upon arrival! Don’t you guys have a checklist to check all these while cleaning the room?
4) We have been to several 5 star hotels and these days, hotel are even putting Nespresso machines instead of old-fashioned kettle, but here in St. Regis, well assuming that we are spoiled UAE citizens and not used to serving ourselves, there was nothing available! They have a Butler service, where you call and ask for the coffee you want! Well, that took a nice 20minutes for me to wait for my coffee! Oh please, leave a kettle in the room!
5) A few other points which was indeed not at ST. Regis standard were:
a. Quality of the items in the minibar! Basic!
b. The design and decoration of the suite we were staying
c. A few broken items including the AC thermostat and the derailed curtains…
d. Electricity plugs totally hidden behind the drawers!
e. Amenities…mmmmm…very basic!
f. No handles in the bathroom for hanging your wet towels!
g. A huge storage in the room for the luggage?!?
6) Late checkout was agreed to be at 2pm instead of 12 noon! But guess what! Something basic that all 4 star hotels have also sorted that these days is your access cards which will automatically work till the extended time! None of the two cards we had worked when we tried them at 1:30pm! Urggghhh

To be fair, I must say the only positive about our stay was the FANTASTIC experience we had at both restaurants: 55th&5th and Santoya!
Thanks to the wonderful hospitality of ‘Jessa’ at 55th&5th and the great quality of the food by the Scottish chef!
And Santoya, oh Santoya…! Fantastic food, great customer attitude, lovely chef!
Thank you Elwin, Gao and Christen! I should say you guys saved the face for St. Regis!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SVaziri
Stregis_Management, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this review, 16 June 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort and thank you for your honest feedback. I am sorry to read that your experience with us didn’t live up to your expectations.
I would welcome the opportunity to meet you should you be visiting the city again or staying with us, and hopefully remedy your opinion of us. In the interim, I can be contacted at StRegis.Saadiyat@stregis.com.

Kind regards,
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I had an amazing weekend at the lovely st regis, room 635 on 06 Jun. great facilities, but poor service. it was confirmed that i would get a sea view room, however i have got a land view room and once i arrived, Front office confirmed that i would get my room ready in 30 minutes, but Beatrize from front desk informed us in a very hard way that it is not available and it is subject to availability, she did not deliver the message in a proper way and she disclosed that i am celebrating with my girlfriend our annual anniversary front of my GF and i was making it a surprise. it was confirmed by Reservations ( Micheal) that it will be surprise and amenities will be ready before the check in and we are getting a sea view room, however non of that happened.

It is just a big thanks to Bassma (the morocco lady) from front desk that she was treating us in a very personalized way ;giving us all the information in a professional way with a nice smile and she suggested us to use Sontaya and Manahatan which was both very nice.

Room Tip: High Floor superior room
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ahmed T
Dear Ahmed,

Thank you for your comments and for choosing us to spend your anniversary with us. I am pleased to read that Basma delivered a bespoke welcome and provided recommendations that added to your celebrations with us.
We hope to welcome you again very soon.

Reviewed 9 June 2013

We'd always passed by St Regis on the way to another resort nearby but thought we would give it a try this time. We spent two nights over a long weekend. On the plus side, the food, while pricey, was of good quality. The breakfast buffet had good variety, while even a common item like a seafood pizza for dinner was very well made. The swimming pools were nice too, with quieter areas if you want to do a spot of lap swimming while still within sight of your young child.

However, our overall experience was marred by appallingly poor service from start to finish. We drove in from Dubai, and when we pulled up in the driveway, there was no staff member to help unload the luggage, open car doors or offer valet parking. We stood around and waited until someone finally showed up. Then, our luggage was tagged awaiting transfer to our room but 15 minutes later after completing our paperwork, I spied our luggage still sitting on the edge of the driveway where they had been unloaded, totally unsupervised. Someone could easily have just taken something from our luggage. I had to tell the a staff member in the lobby to make sure the luggage was kept properly.

While checking-in itself was relatively fuss-free, what happened for the next 1.5 hours was a nightmare. We arrived ar around 2.20pm and were told that our rooms would be ready by 3pm. Not a problem, I thought to myself, since check-in is at 3pm anyway. We were shown to a small lounge beside Olea restaurant and there were drinks and snacks. But 3pm came and went. My wife and I took turns to go upstairs back to reception to ask. I was first told another 5-10 minutes but nothing happened. Same thing for my wife. But the staff was really quite rude, at one point telling me "it's no use standing here, there's nothing I can do" when all I asked of her was to call the housekeeping and hurry them up.

Anyway, we got to our room finally. It was pleasantly big. In the evening, I showered. Guess what? There must have been a choked pipe because after I finished my shower, the whole toilet area including the sinks outside the shower cubicle, was flooded. To make matters worse, without realising it was flooded, my daughter stepped into the area and promptly slipped and fell. Fortunately, she landed on her bottom, so no broken bones or anything. I called up the "Butler" service. An Engineering chap came pretty soon. But I had to call three times for a Housekeeping guy to come and mop up and dry up the whole area since it was not just the shower cubicle that was wet. Nobody came until 45 minutes later, and even then this staff member was actually the guy doing the evening turn-down service for every room. Needless to say, the poor chap was mighty surprised to see the state of the bathroom and had to get extra towels etc to clean and dry up the place. He had obviously not been told by Housekeeping to attend to this disaster, judging from the very surprised look on his face. Which begs the question of whether Housekeeping ever bothered to send someone specifically to deal with my situation. They probably thought the turndown chap was doing the rounds anyway and could deal with it. Whatever the case, it took a long time for the place to be cleaned up. And not a single word of apology from anyone, not even the so-called "Butler" for my floor.

The next day, I called to ask for late check-out at 1pm, instead of noon. One would expect a one-hour extension shouldn't be all that difficult to deal with. But no, the lady told me such requests could only be confirmed on the day of check-out. At the very least, there could have been two better ways of dealing with my request : (a) say something like “thank you, we will try our very best to accommodate your request but we will most likely only be able to confirm it tomorrow”; and (b) we will put in your request and have someone call you back as soon as possible. Neither of these things happened. Needless to say, no one bothered to call me on the day of departure to tell me whether a 1pm check-out was possible. After I have put in a request, the onus should be on the hotel staff to call back and close the loop. This gives the unmistakable impression of a hotel whose staff almost excels at trying not to be helpful, staff who are merely ‘following the rules’, the guest be damned.

On the next day, our day of departure, I needed to fetch my wife somewhere nearby in the morning for a 10am appointment. We went to the driveway at 0940hrs and handed over our ticket stub for the valet to bring in our car. But our car did not come till 0955hrs. This is a totally unacceptable delay and caused a huge amount of stress given our 10am appointment elsewhere. Worse, three other people who came after us got their cars before us. How can that be, when the car park is just downstairs? It is still a mystery why it took so very long for our car to arrive.

Overall, this hotel has a good product to sell, but it was completely let down by incompetent staff from beginning to end. I appreciate that it’s a big hotel but one that claims to be a five-star hotel cannot allow such lapses and the staff need much better training. We won’t be going back any time soon, if ever.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank ChMF295424
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and from the outset I would like to apologize for the disappointment you have expressed as this is certainly not the level of service we aim to deliver to our guests. Should you wish to discuss further, I will be happy to meet with you during your next time in Abu Dhabi. In the interim, I can be contacted at stregis.saaditay@stregis.com.

Ennis, Ireland
Reviewed 8 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for four nights on the way back from our main holiday as a chill out and it was lovely. The hotel staff were so pleasant, friendly and helpful and the atmosphere was quite relaxed. The rooms were of a really high standard as were the facilities and location, and the food was great. You have to try the afternoon tea in the drawing room! Also the adult only pool is a blessing!
Any downsides? The food is quite expensive as you would expect I suppose and there are rather a lot of families with children which can make it a bit chaotic in the restaurants/pools. Overall though very very good.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Robin,

Thank you for your positive feedback and kind words of appreciation and glad we delivered an experience beyond expectation.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Again, a timeless and impressive service at St. Regis, Saadiyat Island…

As we enter the hotel lobby, we were greeted “welcome back” by the doorman Duvindra / Dumindra (I am not quite certain) as we stayed a year back and remembering that we are returning guests, is truly an outstanding experience! He is superstar! Job well done!

Lunch at Sontaya:
Christine our server was an asset of this fine dining restaurant! She is warmth and very engaging. Well-detailed and very knowledgeable of the offers. Her recommendations such as Pecking Duck, Vegetable Rolls and Ice Tea Lemongrass from Thailand were something to behold! I also spot Koko as one of the most enthusiastic attendant!

Ghao Le and Elwin, both mangers were delighted to assist us in many ways. The surprise cocktail and personalized desert was desirable and astonishing! We couldn’t ask for more…

Aternoon at Drawing Room:
This compliment goes to Amit, the lobby attendant who was so polite, friendly, helpful and outstanding! Through out the experience, he was brilliant! And selections were heartful.

Overall, food was cheerful and divine! Service was second to none! The dining experience was undeniably unforgettable and would be very happy to be back.Both outlets were pure indulgence! A massive applause to the management!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Daryl B
Dear Daryl,

Greetings from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort.
I am very pleased to read your comments on our personalized service, an area we take great pride in and one that makes a stay with us bespoke and memorable.
I look forward to welcoming you again for another flawless experience.

Kind regards,
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I attended a Conference held here in early June and stayed 2 nights. - I am a frequent traveler staying on average 3 or 4 nights in a hotel every week.
Every now and then I am fortunate enough to stay somewhere very Classy and this was certainly the case.
Outstanding hotel I can recommend it for business romance or pleasure or all three!
Huge rooms most overlook the lovely beech all very well appointed, you will be delighted by your stay.
This is simply one of the Best Hotels in the Gulf.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank John J
Stregis_Management, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this review, 10 June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and for rating us ‘one of the best hotels in the gulf’. We are delighted to have offered you a wonderful stay and look forward to your return.