“Communication Meltdown”

The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort
Ranked #33 of 129 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 25 December 2013

We were celebrating our one year wedding anniversary at the hotel and loved the idea of Guest Butler through whom we could prearrange all our travel and hotel requirements. Unfortunately, when I did get to my room, nothing was arranged. In fact it was a last minute room change by the hotel however they forgot about the decorations. I instructed them to deck it up when I give the signal to the receptionist however unfortunately, they had already sent someone up to deck the room while my wife was still in the room. Sadly the element of surprise was lost but the in response the hotel gave up the best anniversary night we could have imagined. Coordination aside, the hotel is a total work of art! It's like living in a mansion, literally. You have guest personnel practically everywhere to guide you around the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Stregis_Management, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear dubaiite,

Thank you for taking the time and to share your experience with us. I am genuinely sorry that your surprise of your wedding anniversary didn’t go as expected and I do understand, however, that the team made sure your stay was memorable. We do appreciate your feedback and kind words of appreciation about the resort and look forward to your return in the near future.

Stewart Selbie

Write a ReviewReviews (2,629)

Reviewed 22 December 2013

I stayed at this amazing Starwoods property using my points and platinum membership from 19th-22nd Dec( three night).I was offered a room with a sea view for a few additional points and based on the reviews I decided to go for it. On my arrival, I was given a room 784 just below the royal suites on the 8th Floor :-) Huge bath with rainfall shower a huge tub which can fit two persons with a window facing the sea Huge Balcony with a sea view from 60 to 180 degrees, while the 0 to 60 degrees where otehr apartments with balconies that can easily look into your room :-(.the first night was perfect, sound of silence...excellent english breakfast tea prepared by the butler...the hotel has a separte outdoor temperature controlled adult pool and family pool area 3Ft,4Ft,5Ft depth ..In case the outdoor weather is too cold with heavy winds, you have an indoor temperature controlled pool in the athelics clubs which also has a steam, sauna,freezing water pool to cool down,gym...there is a sandecastle club for kids with nice splash area and a creativity room,dancing room, XBOX,playstation,sleepingroom,playarea,costumes,face painting, musical chairs etc just perfect for kids...you can leave them there with the staff and yourkids will always be smiling..there is event table tenis for the older kids or parents...love the christmas carols at 6.30p.m. everyday to get you ine the xmas mood.. breakfast buffet at OLEA restaurant is fantabulous.. much variety and different menu every day recommend you opt for breakfast totally worth it..

Now coming to the down side of the service ....After a perfectly good first night at the hotel in 784 i was asked to move to a lower floor to 682 sicne there was a water leakage which would affect me... somehow I didnt feel there was anything wrong with the room........I have two small kids and it was difficult to pack everything up again since with has unpacked the previous day.. if you like you can call the regis butler who can pack you stuff for you..( we came to know about this nice service on checkout)..
As platinum member you dont expect this, since you always expect the best from starwoods...it felt like a down grade rather than an upgrade... the room felt smaller, balcony was half the size... furniture was reduced..size of bed also reduced...
When we ordered for tea with got hot water and tea bags.. even we had to call for tea twice and it came after an hour... even our room was not cleaned on the last day of check out... in fact we asked for late checkout till 5 since we lost 3 hours packing again to shift to another room so just as we checked out we could see the cleaners waiting for us to go...so lack of service consistency as you move from the higer floors to the lower ones we know since we could compare...also it felt like too many people on the 6th floor since there was always sounds coming from the corridor...Sleep was affected...
Also no one could direct us correctly to the athletics club ... everyone pointed finger to a direction and asked us to take a lift but we could not find it and we had kids so it was even more challenging... it seemed like noone knew wher the place was...quite frustrating...so again here I see a lack of service...
There are many resturants Shakespeare and co, Koi, lebanese resturant,indian resturant just outside the hotel and also there is a spinneys market just outside the hotel ( after you walk out of the main entrance.. pass the fountains...walk down the steps and turn left pass the doors)..so you dont need to eat at the hotel restaurants only...
Over all as a platinum member having a family of two small kids , I need good service and this is not what I got at this property...
There are many hotel in Abudhabi to try out next time so when the lady at the check out says do come again and stay with us ...I just smiled :-)
Thats all folks!!!

Room Tip: Sea view( full 180 degrees) for some privacy on the highest possible floor...( 784 room with sea vie...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ArabSheikh
Stregis_Management, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013

Dear ArabSheikh,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and for your kind words of appreciation about our facilities, including the Sandcastle Kids Club and Olea, our all dining venue.
We are very sorry that we had to move your room and it is certainly not acceptable that you would have had to pack your belongings. I can assure you there is no difference of services we provide per floor and will review why the service was not up to our normal standards for our guests. I like to apologize for the inconvenience caused, especially as a valued Platinum member. I hope you will allow us the opportunity to regain your confidence in us by returning in the near future and would appreciate if you could contact me to personally make the arrangements.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

I really ejoyed during my 3 nights stay at the St. Regis, Excellent hotel with modern and classy rooms. The most I liked about it is the polit, smiley, friendly staff. I also enjoyed the surrounding area of the hotel, boutiques, and restaurants. The rate is very high, but it is worth it....

Room Tip: Don't miss the sea view rooms
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank al3taibi
Stregis_Management, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 December 2013

Dear al3taibi,

Thank you for your kind feedback about your experience at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort. It is indeed a pleasure to read that our team delivered a bespoke and memorable service and we look forward to your return for another indelible experience very soon.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Just fantastic.....staff, facility, food everything very enjoyable stay!!! There was nothing that was too much trouble for the staff, they were always very attentive and made us feel special during our stay. The rooms were to an excellent standard and better than many we have stayed in in UAE.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank benjamin l

Dear Benjamin,

Thank you for your wonderful review about our Mediterranean-inspired resort and its well-appointed rooms as well as for complimenting on our team. It was our privilege to deliver you on the St. Regis promise of an experience beyond expectation and we look forward to your return for another bespoke and memorable experience in the future.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Booked a weekend retreat at The St. Regis. Any qualms about the cost were immediately dispelled upon arrival. From start to finish, the resort was stunning. The sunrise and moonrise over the horizon, the pristine beach, the spectacular dining options combined with an upbeat atmosphere and excellent service all added up to a perfect weekend.
The only disappointment was the outrageous cost of the spa treatments (double the cost of the St. Regis just a few miles away.)

Room Tip: Try to get a room with view of the gulf.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear lisabarb,

Thank you for posting your experience on Trip Advisor. It is indeed a pleasure to read that you fully enjoyed our stunning resort, including our venues. Your feedback is well noted and will be shared with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you again for another memorable weekend retreat in the future.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

How is one supposed to feel when they have to wait in the lobby for two hours for their room? Replies by the staff when we kept inquiring about how long it would take to finally get the room, were as follows:

1. "The room is being cleaned and should be available "shortly""

30 mins later
2. "The room is being finished up, should be maximum 45 more minutes" ( At this point i was ecstatic that i was getting a suite as finishing up was taking 45 mins)

30 mins later
3. "Ma'am we cant possibly have all the rooms ready, this is way it goes, you have to wait it out. When it is ready, we will notify you. It is too bad that your room is not ready" Hmmmm...we were part of a wedding party that has descended in droves, to spend two days at the resort.

Seeing my frustrated face, a senior front office staff approached me and did her best to get my room at the earliest. It STILL took a long time, she personally escorted me to the WRONG wing, realised her folly and we finally went the right way. On entering the room, it was spacious, very clean and had a above average bathroom, probably one of the best i have seen.
To make up for what had happened, the staff member told me she would give me a spa voucher which i told her was not necessary. To which she insisted she had to and before leaving she would send me a Aed 500 voucher to use in the resort. That was the last of the Aed 500 story!!!
We crossed paths at least 3-4 times in the next 48 hours but never did she bring up the topic of the promised unasked for compensation.
Besides this debacle, were the completely sub standard, uncouth, shabby waiters that served during all the functions both the days. They could barely speak or understand any english and the guests could not understand them. They did not know what they were serving, had no clue on how to serve and were picking up plates while people were still eating. They openly pointed to several guests and made comments amongst themselves. The conclusion was: they were outsourced just for the wedding from a very, low end labor provider.

Even in the hospitality area where snacks, tea, coffee etc were always in abundance, the waiters did not know how to make the coffee of tea and did not know the name of a single edible item that was laid out

St Regis...the wedding hosts saved the day for you. They were gracious, attentive and always willing to please. Take a page from your guests book next time. You have a beautiful property, fantastic food, home away from home ambience and you mess it up!

To the rude front office male supervisor: did you forget you work at a St Regis, an organisation that prides itself on service???

Poor, poor show!

Room Tip: Ask for a beach front room, closer to the elevator
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Stregis_Management, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2013

Dear dubaiite,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am truly sorry about the disappointment you have expressed about our team and about your check-in experience. We are diligently working on enhancing our guest experience and we appreciate your feedback. It is very unfortunate that your room was not ready upon your arrival, however I do understand that it was ready prior to our standard check-in time. What is more, I am sorry to read about the miscommunication about the Spa voucher, hence the Manager credited it to your room account as a gesture of the house with the hope of opportunity to change your view during your stay with us. In the interim, should you wish to contact me or discuss further, I remain at your disposal and can be contacted on stregis.saadiyat@stregis.com. I hope you will allow us the opportunity to remedy your perception by returning on a different occasion.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Stayed there as a couple however I could have stayed with my 3yr old child as this hotel is great for both. Everything is exactly the same as on their website. The room is spacious, well equipped, the bathroom is luxurious. Unfortunately the housekeeping was not the same in each day - once it was really fantastic but on other days it definitely was not and not even when we arrived.
However a lot of rooms were occupied there were no place where I could feel even a little bit crowded. We went to the beach and to the family pool because of the fascinating view to the ocean but the adult pool looked really nice as well.
There are a lot of places to eat at the hotel or just exactly next to it and no matter where you eat the food is delicious. The most we liked Turquoiz restaurant because of the view from the outside table, the friendly and helpful staff and the fantastic seafood. My other favorite was the breakfast where selection is among the bests.
I loved the location of the hotel. It is not in the hart of Abu Dhabi however only 10 minutes by taxi. We had a relax on a spacious area and later could go to see the city as a good mixture of holiday.
The service is really good all around the hotel. The staff is helpful and everyone is really for the guests. If you just want to relax at the beach or at the pool you can order not only drink but also a reasonable selection of food which is serviced directly to your resting place. The only one thing I was not happy with is one concierge. He really was not friendly or kind or helpful. He helped of course but the solution he provided to our request was not proper. But this is really just a minor issue as everything was fantastic and I do believe we will return with our child.

Room Tip: Ocean view room
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear PVKrisztina,

Thank you for your kind review and sharing your experience about Turquoiz and its team. It is indeed a delight to read that you enjoyed our breakfast selection at Olea and your stay was memorable. Your feedback on areas of improvement is appreciated and will be passed on the team.

We look forward to your return for another indelible experience in the future.