“Glad to be leaving”

The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort
Ranked #29 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

This hotel is expensive and frustrating and when you know the service that is available elsewhere this hotel is significantly lacking. We stayed for three days in an 'ocean view' superior balcony room. I have added the photo of the 'ocean view'. I asked to move and was accommodated to a nicer room on day two but this involved re-packing everything and was itself an ordeal with the new room not ready until 5pm on the second day (a voluntary refund of 300 Dhs was also offered) The manager who dealt with the matter was excellent but the room should have been prioritised.

Service issues are also apparent. At the adult only pool (the majority of which except about 6 loungers is in permanent shade) I was told that there was no draught beer as it was empty and would remain so for the day! My suggestion that drinks could be obtained from another bar seemed to come as a surprise to the attendant but was acted upon. The service in the breakfast rooms was very patchy with one couple having to dress their own table with scavenged utensils due to lack of service. My dirty cup was replaced in similar fashion, i.e. by my taking one off another partially used and uncleared table when I had unsuccessfully sought a waiter for ten minutes. We were also told, whilst hosting friends who live in Abu Dhabi, that none of the patio heaters on the bar terrace could be turned on as they were out of gas. I asked if the manager was aware of this and was told yes, but the gas was far away!!!! Our friends considered this outrageous in comparison to normal and expected service. We have stayed in Shangri La (about half the price of this hotel) and One & Only (comparably priced or slightly more expensive) and both were vastly superior as regards service. I think that this hotel is simply too sprawling to extend any individual or properly supervised service.

On the plus side the room was nicely appointed with a great bathroom. The bed was admittedly the most comfortable ever. Check-in was good apart from some quirky/inappropriate (joking) comments re the receptionist using my credit card to go shopping and taking my new iPhone!!

I can't recommend staying at this hotel unless you are doing so particularly for golf. By the way also avoid the adjoining Indian Restaurant in the "Collection" if you are here! I won't even go there.... Stay elsewhere for much better value for money and vastly superior service.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KJ C
Stregis_Management, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear KJ C,

Thank you for proving us with your feedback about your experience and we are sorry to read about your dissatisfaction. This is certainly not the service we normally provide and I can understand the disappointment. It has been a very busy period for us but that is no excuse for our team to not take action on service issue’s you described. We have taken this as a clear example to our teams to ensure that we should be more pro-active in our service delivery.
I will further forward your comments to the management of Avasa, the Indian Restaurant in the Collection.

KJ C, Again thank you for your feedback and we hope you will reconsider visiting us again and enable us to show you the true service we stand for at the St. Regis Saadiyat. Please do contact me if I can assist with any arranagements.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

The thing about five star hotels like this is that they all tend to be pretty impressive in terms of style and service, so when giving a trip advisor rating, it is necessary to consider the little things, personal to me and my experience. The only reason I have rated the St Regis average is because it is an average five star hotel, nothing more or less than that. The service was great, the room and bathroom beautifully presented, although my side of the bed had no support whatsoever, and I had to swap sides with my husband because of the resulting back pain. Very nice food, although not spectacular. We ate at 55th&5th and Turquoiz. I found the adults only pool area disappointing, but this is only because the Al Husn, Shangri La in Oman is where we went last year and the pool was exceptional. Also, it loses the sun quite earlyish behind the building. There is a very pretty beach and probably the best equipped fitness centre I have seen in a hotel with a 25m swimming pool. We moved on to Qasr Al Sarab after the St Regis so in that context the St Regis does seem an average five star, not an exceptional five star in my view.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JemmyButton
Stregis_Management, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Jemmy,

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience and we do realize that expectations are high in the 5 star segment. We are sorry that we did not meet these, especially concerning your sleep comfort and we have changed the mattress to improve this. We do hope you will return and allow us the opportunity to show the personalized services we provide to elevate The St. Regis Saadiyat above the average level.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed at St. Regis from Dec 25th till Dec 31st 2013
My wife, my youngest son and I.
Do not hesitate... do as I did, go to this hotel for your next stay in Abu Dhabi.
If you look for a 5 star hotel, white sand beach, sun, cristal clear sea, nice pools, excellent food, nice room, quiet and clean environment, professional attentive and helpfull staff, and so on, then the St. Regis Saadiyat is for you.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Pascal B

Dear Pascal,

Thank you for your kind feedback and for rating us so highly. Your recommendation as well as your kind words of praise are greatly appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you again for another opportunity to deliver a memorable experience.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Upon arrival at the St. Regis we were very positively surprised by the personal atmosphere of such a big hotel. The front desk manager took quite a lot of time for a chat about the hotel and his and our travel experiences. We found this excellent service mentality throughout the hotel during our stay for five days.
All the restaurants serve great food, the pool site and the beach are in excellent conditions and even though the hotel was fully booked during New Year´s high season it never felt overcrowded.
The gym is fantastic with a big indoor swimming pool where you can do serious swimming exercise.
All in all a great place - we hope that we can come again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, level 8 has a fantastic view!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Andre K
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This is a repeat visit to the St. Regis Saadiyat and because of the magnificent experience from the previous visits, it proved to be a good move. I combined some business with relaxation over Christmas Day and St. Regis Saadiyat was a very nice escape visiting Abu Dhabi. The Hotel was quite busy due to the holiday, but that did not deter the staff to fulfill all my needs. Yevgeniya, the Front Desk Supervisor, was particularly helpful and understanding.

The Olea restaurant had an excellent selection of tastes and food. A not to miss feature of St. Regis is the legendary butler service, which I recommend. In my case, the butler Red, was keen and able to solve my wifi issues I had with my IPad late at night.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better the view to the Arabian Gulf. Tip for golfers: Rooms from the left...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Stregis_Management, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Dear KayZee156,

Thank you for your return and for choosing us during the festive season for your relaxation. Your compliments about Evgenia and Red as well as about the excellent selection of tastes and food in our all dining venue Olea are very appreciated and well shared with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you soon for another indelible experience.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

My wife and I decided to take a bream from our early parenthood, went to the St. Regis for 2 nights on a weekend. Being an SPG gold member, got a nice upgrade to a suite. The private butler feature is just great even if you don't use it much.
The suite was marvelous, luxurious and sooo relaxing. The whole hotel overlooks a beautiful endless blue sea, which doesn't exist in Dubai anymore.
Service was great, breakfast is amazing and food couldn't taste any better. Location is good enough as it's only 10-15 minutes from the city center. Good restaurants are a few steps away.
After my sad trip to the westin, the St. Regis made it up for me
Edwardo, our reception host and Amal our private butler were simply amazing, we will surely return thanks to such professional staff

Room Tip: Suite 310 was having one of the best views
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fouad429
Stregis_Management, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear Fouad429,

Thank you for your feedback and it is a pleasure to read that you could relax in our luxurious Suits. Your kind words of appreciation about our team and especially about Eduardo and Amal is very encouraging and will be shared with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you again for another opportunity to deliver an indelible and flawless experience very soon.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

A fantastic hotel situated on Saadiyat Island. At this hotel the service is perfect (particularly appreciated the Butler service!), the staff is really friendly and attends to the guests every request with a smile. The food and drink at restaurants (and at the hotel) is rather expensive.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Caroline,

Thank you for rating us so highly on Trip Advisor and posting your feedback. It is a moment of pride that you enjoyed our Signature Butler Service and we look forward to welcoming you again for another bespoke and indelible experience in 2014.