“Hotel is absolutely great , reception and concierge services are absolutely poor!!!”

The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort
Ranked #30 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Hi All,

After 8 days in your hotel , I decided to write about issues, which can ruin any efforts of the resort team to please the guests.

Restaurants, gym, saunas, beach side, house keeping, butlers are really GREAT!!!
Rooms are nice, large and with good views ( we stayed at superior sea view)

But reception and concierge's services are absolutely not up to the level.
When we arrived late in the evening, though we were very tired, but we were offered neither refreshing napkins, nor welcome drinks after arrival! (I am traveling with the mom and a child and of course we needed it badly)

The room was not ready at all ( by unknown reason the extra bad was installed onlY AFTER our arrival, in our presence) though the room was booked for three persons and extra bad was mentioned in the reservation)

Reception girl , who processed our check in, was not friendly & polite at all!!! She was rather rude, she didn't tell us anything about the hotel, about services offered, JUST nothing! Though it was my first visit to this resort! (Her main concern was to charge my credit card)

Concierge service is absolutely not up to the level... I referred to the concierges twice, I asked how to arrange my trips to Marina Mall and Grand Mosque... BUT!!! Nobody of the concierges mentioned to me that the hotel offers free of charge shuttle buses to both destinations. As a result I spent 140 AED on two trips to the Marina Mall and back traveling by taxi!!! Luckily one of the guest told me about shuttle bus to The Grand Mosque.

Thanks,Elena

Room Tip: Sea view superior room is a brilliant choice
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Andelan
Stregis_Management, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Andelan,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and for your kind words of appreciation about our Butlers team. We would however like to apologize for the dissatisfaction and inconvenience you have expressed and I do understand that one of leadership team met you and reimbursed for the taxi fee. Please do not hesitate to contact stregis.saadiyat@stregis.com if we can be of any further assistance.

Warm regards,

J. Stewart Selbie

Reviewed 31 May 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 5 nights. It could not have been more perfect. The hotel grounds and rooms are beautiful, the staff is personable and delightful and go out of their way to meet every request, and the location is wonderful. The gym, sauna, restaurants, beach and pool facilities are all top notch. I can't think of a better, more peaceful place to stay in Abu Dhabi. Just 10-15 minutes from downtown by taxi, the white sand beach, warm, turquoise waters, and all that this hotel and it's first class staff provide make for a wonderful, restful, relaxing vacation. I will never think of the Persian Gulf the same. Thanks to all at the St. Regis who made our stay so great.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jr1962
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I just completed my sixth business trip to the UAE over the past two years and stayed at the St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort on every trip. There are many choices of lodging available in Abu Dhabi for both business and vacation but the Butler service offered at St. Regis sets it apart. During my last trip I had three Butlers, but one in particular stood out as being the best, Mr. Johnny Roy provides personalized and professional service that would exceed the expectations of the most demanding of guests. If you get an opportunity to stay at the St. Regis located on Saadiyat Island, ask for Johnny as your Butler. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: The St. Regis Suite is a good choice. The east side offers more shade from the heat and sun.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Me and my partner decided to stay here for a night to celebrate our year anniversary! From the drive up to the hotel I was in love with the surroundings and the grand entrance to the hotel! I had booked the junior suite which on checking we were upgraded to the ocean view suite which was just Devine!!! After being there 6 hours soaking in the Sun and enjoying the fab beach with the most amazing sea I had decided to stay another night and extend my stay! The shisha cafe is great the Asian resturant is fab the breakfast is lovely with a wide range to choose from! The staff are amazing! I NEED to live there!!! Can not recommend it enough.

Room Tip: Ask for the sea view room!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2014

spent the weekend in this amazing resort, the staff are unbelievably, friendly and on there game. the restaurant are very well picked, they have a big wine selection that will blow you away. if you are looking for a place to relax this resort is for you.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We had a lovely time at the resort! I am planning my next weekend there soon.

We arrived on a Wednesday and left on Friday and I thought that was long enough with 2 small children aged 3 and 1.

For a family of four we took two rooms and requested a connecting door. They called my husband immediately after he booked to tell him that they would try their best to accommodate us with connecting rooms but that the hotel was full. They gave us 2 adjacent rooms on the same floor instead.

They also provided a white metal baby cot ( why metal??!). I'll never understand why they think baby + metal bars = safe?!

I appreciated the baby products and towel they provided though, it was useful even though I had brought my own products. It was a thoughtful touch.

On a side note, I expected to find a kettle and tea making stuff in the room and was kind of disappointed when I didn't find anything. I called our butler to request one and was told that all tea or coffee was complimentary and all I had to do was call and order what ever I wanted. That was cool, and having a pot of tea every afternoon was lovely!

The rooms were very spacious and roomy, I loved the huge bathrooms with his/her separate areas and the walk in shower. We spent our entire day at the kiddie pool or at the beach anyways and crashed early at night.

The children's pool and play area is called the Sandcastle club and it was the best kids play area I have ever seen (believe me, I've seen a loooot) with three separate rooms based on age groups, a painting/drawing area and the amazing shaded kiddie pool. This includes all kinds of water features for all the kids to play and splash in, including fountains and a slide. This was perfect for my crawling baby at the shallow end ( 4 inches) while my preschooler went to the "deep" end.

Towels are provided there for the kiddies and there is a shower at the back next to the nap room.

If you're here for the summer, wake up early and go to the beach early because of the heat, it gets unbearable at noon and the sand starts to burn your feet. The beach was very clean and the water clear and shallow.

We found all kinds of beach toys for the kids from the life guard and they played on the beach while we swam.

Breakfast at the hotel was delicious! A very very large selection of food is there and it was all good. My only fault was that the juices weren't fresh, but hey, there's a guy to blend you up a fresh smoothie right then and there so, it's not a big deal!

We ordered room service a lot because by sunset the kids were exhausted and couldn't handle a trip into the city for dinner. The kids meals were ok but I brought my children they're own snacks and juice boxes so they could eat through out the day.

We all had a lovely time and would love to go back soon, hopefully we will try and book rooms in the ground floor so that we can have faster access to the beach and pool.

Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank meems06
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The St Regis Saadiyat Island is a stunning resort, the exterior and interior of the hotel is immaculate and the grounds are absolutely stunning and very well maintained. Beautiful location, quiet and a fantastic all-round hotel in so many ways. Located on a beautiful stretch of beach with the stunning azure blue waters. Golf course was excellent. We stayed for 2 nights in a Premier Sea Facing Room and it was truly beautiful - could not in anyway fault the room. Bathroom layout was stunning with the free standing bathtub overlooking the resort and ocean - a definite wow factor. Balcony large and just perfect! You pay top dollar but the quality is there no question.

The food was excellent in all of the restaurants. We had an amazing meal at their seafood restaurant on the first evening and even down to the the food from room service was stunning. Seriously top notch. Food very good throughout the entire hotel. The spa is beautiful too.

All Management we encountered were excellent, professional and all staff in general really do aim to please and all do their upmost to help or assist in anyway possible. Happy smiling faces. Nice people. Lovely little touches like snacks and cold towels and turkish coffee throughout the hotel etc.

The only niggling issue is with the hotel's junior/waiting/reservations staff and in my opinion there is definitely training issues which I am sure the Management must be well aware of. Perhaps it is difficult to get really very good and consistent hospitality staff in great numbers. With a reputation like the St Regis in other parts of the world it would be considered the pinnacle of a career in hospitality to land in job in such an establishment I would have thought people from all over the world with 5-star experience would have been flocking to work there. Maybe they are... who knows.

On every single occasion we went for dinner or drinks there was a small incident/occurrence that you don't routinely encounter from a premier 5 star resort of this calibre - one off incident you don't even notice but unfortunately on every single occasion something happened where you could not help but question the staff experience.

I made booking initially over the phone, I never received the confirmation via email as promised and had to chase a week later. But was fine - did it promptly and all ok, lovely email back apologising and looking forward to welcoming us to hotel.

We advised from offset at time of booking we would be arriving very early 12 noon (could we use facilities until 3pm when we could check in). No problem and we did so - check in staff said they would call our mobile when room was ready. 3pm came and went, 4pm, came and went - no call. At 4.30pm we asked if room was ready as now one hour and a half after official check in. We had another 15 mins to wait but all in a lovely waiting area with free beverages and snacks, so no real hardship but I did want to get into room and get ready for going out that evening. They apologised told us hotel was busy and offered a 250 aed credit for inconvenience. So fine - room was late but they sorted and the credit was a really nice touch which we appreciated.

First evening made reservation for dinner from our room over the phone to then arrive at restaurant at the allocated time to be told they did not have our booking. Issue resolved very quickly and allocated a table (you will see already there is a recurring theme - they do sort all issues fast but must be frustrating working there to have to constantly be apologising to guests all the time) But not a big deal, got a great table no problem. Then during dinner the waiter just before dinner seemed to be unsure whether to take away our water glasses or leave them... awkward pause. Lifted them and went to walk away... no I wont I will come back and put the same glasses down again and hang around. Maybe the guy had just joined and was new.

Next morning at breakfast - sat at table ordered our hot beverages, few sips and went to help ourselves to buffet. Came back and table had been cleared in entirety. Again quickly resolved with an apology. Re-ordered tea and coffee. Came and poured black tea and black coffee. but no offer of cream/milk/sugar, wait for 5 mins (they must be coming back with milk/sugar...but no). Just little things that let it down, when you then have to try to then catch someone's attention thereafter to get something as simple as milk.

Another example was taking dinner plates away without politely asking if you were finished. Just coming up and taking it away without a word said - perhaps didn't like to interrupt and to be fair I have been establishments where excellent, classically trained staff can do this in such a way you wouldn't even know they were there... but our experience at St Regis it was clumsy and it came across as unprofessional and dare I say a bit rude.

On another occasion having ordered a latte, waitress delivered it to me and placed on table with her entire hand gripping over the top of the cup as she carried and placed it down.... in my mind unhygienic. Common sense, you should know you don't ever put your hand on/ all over somewhere people put their mouth and eat food. I wouldn't serve a cup of coffee to someone in my home in that manner. That is a lack of basic, basic, basic training.

Very pleasant staff in Manhattan Bar, its gorgeous, all rich leathers and deep colours and chandeliers, cocktail choice excellent and drinks were fab and great nibbles frequently topped up. The escort/customer relations representative introduced herself on our arrival, made pleasant chit-chat for 5 mins or so and offered recommendations on drinks. Great. But then came back every 10 mins for another chat. Again very nice and pleasant lady but it then just became intrusive - to the point of awkward as nothing left to say but still standing there. We were clearly a couple having a romantic evening on a weekend break and on every occasion she approached us we were deep in conversation. She was maybe bored as bar was quiet but again common sense, you don't approach guests 4/5 times in the course of an hour for a chat. In end we actually left the bar altogether and took drinks back to our room. You are there to have a night out with your family/friends loved ones. You are not paying money to have a night out with the staff.... unless invited to do so or someone on their own, happy for the company.

At the adult pool bar ordered two soft drinks (we were only two people at bar). Barman started to prepare our drinks (bearing in mind it is 40 degree heat). Another gentleman/hotel guest then came up to bar and was asked "How can I help you/what what you like?" the gentleman naturally gave his order - which was a lengthy order (food/drinks - questions on portion sizes, cocktails etc). All while our drinks (2 diet coke haha very simple) were sitting half prepared. Again common sense, you are already serving a customer, another customer comes forward you make eye contact say "Lovely to see you again. I am just serving this customer. I will be with you in one moment Sir" etc. But no, this individual stopped half way through making up our order to take another order. It is just amateur and we are left standing there waiting and waiting.

On the last day I had a conversation with one of the staff which summed the place up. From conversation I discovered she came from close to my home town in UK. I asked her how long she had worked at St Regis and what was her background... I was genuinely aghast when I heard the prior experience/establishment she had worked at immediately before St Regis. Wont mention any more details, good for her. But to the point when I told my husband afterwards of the place, he actually burst out laughing. Enough said... that concludes my point...

I feel for the management, must be very frustrating because you can tell everyone is trying their best and the senior management are good, very good - but they need to implement inhouse training and then the place will be a dream and world-class location fitting of the St Regis name.

In saying all of this - would I go back. Absolutely, in a minute! These aren't massive issues... thats the frustrating part. But there are just way too many small issues which when combined make it a disappointment.

The St Regis is beautiful and their chefs are excellent - just need more training for general service staff and then it will be absolutely awesome!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple