“Very inconsiderate for co- hoteliers!!!”

The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort
Ranked #33 of 129 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The moment I saw the hotel I was so amazed, it's like I'm so lucky and got the chance to experience an overnight stay given by my company, but the moment I got in the hotel, stressful. I came to the reception told them that I have a reservation with my gift voucher in hand. She checked(Blanca) and confirmed the booking. She ask for my emirates id and scanned it and the next thing she said I need to deposit a 1000aed cash or if I have a credit card I should leave it with them and give it back the time I check out. I told this lady I only have my ATM card and only got few money since I don't have any idea that I need to deposit this much. I told him I have only 250 cash and the rest check it on my ATM. She swiped my card many times and said sorry your card us declined. And I told her let me check with my colleague if he has extra money in hand. I came back and forth just to get the money complete and I even said I'm also working in the hotel and I only got this voucher as a gift of my hardwork. I told her I will not go to spa it eat in any of their outlets since my purpose us to relax and feel what is to be a guest in the hotel but I felt so low. Not even treated as a co hotelier. I even ask politely telling her that can 850 be enough and she just said no I'm sorry. So I asked her give me my card I will try to withdraw. Luckily I got 150 to complete the thousand. I felt so ashamed because I'm coming inside this very nice hotel with less than a thousand dirhams in hand. If I would know that I need this money to deposit I would not come. I just would like to use the privilege given to me by my company. I'm not even a tourist I'm also like her working in UAE to earn money for my family back home. The time I entered the room I right away slept because I came all the way to Dubai. Around 930pm, I heard a loud sound, and saw that thus wooden rail placed on top of the bath tub fell by itself and got broken. I rang right away the butler to inform them of the incident, because of the trauma that they might charge us. Didn't slept well of the stress I had during my check in. I didn't want to go to my breakfast thinking I might pay again. We just merely stayed and locked ourselves in the room. The following day we check out Nikita assisted me and got emotional and told what happen. She is saying that they want to avoid any runaway guest which they had experienced before that's why they need to have deposit. If it was further explain to me I would not react this way but this Blance seems so tough to me that I need to right away produce the money. My last minute in the hotel was a disaster as well, one concierge guy whom I asked taxi pointed the car that we need to take, suddenly a bellboy named NEWAY told me to take the other taxi because he has a guest to assist where in I'm about to open the door of the taxi. I even got shocked when he said to me I'm incharged here!!! And I just merely said you have a very good communication either the other guy who pointed me the taxi I need to take, and ask his name. I don't usually comment but this time I don't want this to pass without me telling what I felt in this hotel. I came here as a guest, treat me one. Having a complimentary overnight stay in your hotel doesn't mean I don't deserve to be treated as one. I will definitely not come back and even inform my hotel not to recommend your hotel to our staff because of the way you treat your co hotelier.

• Stayed: June 2014
5  Thank Mykissy
stregis_saadiyat, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Dear Mykissy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. It is a pity that we didn’t manage to meet your expectations and for this, we are very sorry. Please rest assured that your comment has been shared with the team. It is indeed a common practice in hotels in UAE to provide a deposit at the time of check-in and we do apologize if this was not clearly articulated to you.

Please do not hesitate to contact us at stregis.saadiyat@stregis.com, should you wish to contact us or discuss further.

J. Stewart Selbie

Write a ReviewReviews (2,631)

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Beautiful hotel and setting when we pulled into the hotel grounds. Check in was relatively quick, we were then told our room would be ready at 3pm as this was normal check in time. For the time being we were shown the way to the ‘early check in lounge’ which has showers where we could start using the facilities – a member of staff was to let us know when the room was ready. 330pm – no sign so we ask the member of staff in the lounge if our room was ready. To our delight he told us it was (!!) , so we headed up to get our key to find our room was actually not ready. What a disappointing start to the trip. After having to wait another hour and a half our room we had to chase staff again at which point we were fed up. The room was only ready near to 5pm. Not a great first impression as we were waiting around and not approached when the room was ready and the miscommunication from the staff in the check in lounge that our room was room – WHEN IT WASN’T.

Finally got into the room with the day almost gone. We decided not to upgrade to the sea view room as it was £400 on top. The room we were in had a slight seaview, they did not seem to be flexible on the price of the upgrade either.

This definitely let the hotel down but other than that we enjoyed our stay at the hotel. Would highly recommend to visit 55th+5th restaurant where the staff were superb – especially our waiter Kevin who did everything he could to make the evening special. The Sontaya Thai restaurant is also a must try, we ended up going there a few times as it was very good value for money with great portions and lots to choose from on the menu. Staff in the Sontaya extremely lovely and were even able to address us by name the second time we went in there! Also a nice beach bar Turquoise which has free drinks for ladies on Wednesday!

I would also recommend the Jazz brunch on Friday at the Olea which is impressive despite the rude hostess who was unhelpful in trying to find our reservation and would only give us a table in the 40 degrees heat. Luckily our waiter was kind enough to relocate our table inside. There was a nice spread of different cuisines compared to the normal lunch they have on offer in Olea.

The room itself was of a good size, big bed and two sinks in the bathroom on each side of the large shower area along with a bath looking out of the window. Housekeeping were knocking at around 10am so I still failed to understand why it took until 5pm for our room to be ready. Turn down service was also good with complimentary water and chocolates, also good replenishment of bathroom goods.

Hotel is in a secluded area but the beach and sunset are beautiful. There are two pool areas, never any problems finding a lounger and the staff around the adult pool are most helpful. There were also sun loungers in one of the pools which we enjoyed to keep us cool. It is a shame a few small things let this hotel down and therefore in my eyes not worthy of a 5, but all in all we enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Victoria T
Stregis_Management, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Victoria,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. While I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the resort’s Mediterranean ease, I am equally disappointed to know about your arrival experience and we didn’t manage to meet your expectation. Please do not hesitate to contact stregis.saadiyat@stregis.com, should you wish to discuss further.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I have stayed at the St. Regis a number of times recently and the hotel is perfect in every way. But I need to point out that they really need to do something about the air conditioning in the rooms. It is so noisy that it actually keeps me up at night. I have stayed in 4 rooms in this hotel and each time the AC has been incredibly noisy even at its lowest setting. There is a constant whistling sound coming from the vents.
Apart from that I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Fezario

Dear Fezario,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are happy to read about your overall satisfaction and it is our constant endeavor to deliver flawless experience and rest assured that your comment has been shared with Engineering team.

We look forward to your return in the near future.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Really beautiful setting for the middle east.even in the heat of summer it was a pleasure staying here.staff very attentive and friendly.check in and out was hassle free.room with a beautiful seaview,unspoilt by developments.beach and pools excellent.all the restaurants were beautifully decorated and the food outstanding.the buffet breakfast was amazing,I loved the poached eggs and salmon.
The Asian restaurant was expensive but excellent,fantastic green papaya salad,nasi,etc.
Be careful,as your final bill can be a bit of a shock ,as prices are high.well worth it ,though.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johannesvd

Dear johannesvd,

Thank you for sharing your memorable experience globally. Your review is motivating and we look forward to welcoming you again to the best address.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Great sea view room with spacious balcony and amazing bathroom. Separate walk through shower, large soaker tub in front of the window and separate toilet and bidet, his and hers sinks. Comfortable bed and lovely furnishings. Free room service for tea and coffee. Excellent service throughout the hotel. All staff were helpful and friendly. Excellent food in the steakhouse and Asian restaurants. Breakfast would have been better if pork sausages and bacon were served. Beautiful beach and pool areas. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DubaiJanet

Dear DubaiJanet,

Thank you for your compliments about our well-appointed rooms and I am pleased that our breakfast was to your satisfaction.

We look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Dear All ,

I would like to thank all St Regis team at Saadiyat Island for the the great hospitality and great stay . You really made my vacation fabulous by the way of treating and great welcoming and corporation . At the first i was unhappy with the selected rooms due to the asking for connected room to have my kids next to me but they book me room 258 and 264 , but later on , this was nothing along with the facility itself and the rooms . Kids club and the pool all was great . this was the first but for sure not the last .

Best Regards

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Thamer B
Stregis_Management, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear Thamer,

Thank you for your great feedback and the kind words of appreciation. It is a pleasure to read that you and your family had a memorable experience and enjoyed our facilities to the fullest although you had a rocky start.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future for another indelible experience.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I treated my wife on a weekend in Abu Dhabi .What a wonderful hotel with a faultless check -in experience we found .Rooms are true luxury with a wonderful bathroom and shower .Have to congratulate the architect on this concept .It works .The butler service of St Regis is can be recommended .We really enjoyed our stay .Only negative .......food and dining is extremely expensive .If you get a special deal on the room believe me they will make it up in the restaurants on food and drink .

Room Tip: Any room .......I think they all good