“Big potential but not yet there”

Park Hyatt Abu Dhabi Hotel & Villas
Ranked #13 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Vienna
“Big potential but not yet there”
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Staying here for 8 days over New Year. First, the hotel is brand new so there is really nothing to complain about the facilities - the interiour is a great design and also the pool and beach area is in perfect condition. Our suite is just great, very spacious and two large balconies with ocean view.
There is no disturbance from construction sites nearby! The St. Regis is too far away and the Shangri-La has not yet started being build. However, that is also sort of the problem: the hotel is located in the middle of nowhere. And as there is no shop in the hotel you would always need to drive about 20km to the city. Futhermore, there are no restaurants in the neigbourhood and the 3 hotel restaurants are obviously too small to host all guests. Same is true for breakfast: people are lining up in the morning until tables are available. But as we have heard it is now the first time that since the opening some months ago the hotel is fully booked. The service in the restaurants has definitely room for improvement. Only few waiters/waitresses seem to have experience in this job and some have to face it: they are completely free of talent...
The food is great, especially the Park Grill and the Beach House offer very delicious meals at reasonable prices.
Fruit basket in the room is re filled daily and bottled water is free as well. Spa is great (Ladies and Men separeted) and staff is available in the fitness center all the time!
Concierge service is very helpful and organized what was possible, however, don't expect more than what you could have done in the internet yourself (by the way: free WLan).
We picked the hotel because of the Saadiyat Golfclub which is just across the street but it is rather strange: the club house might be only 300m away from the hotel (arial line) but you drive there 10min as you have to go around the full course! No free shuttle offered. Either you call a taxi (takes about 20 min because there is no infrastructure yet on Saadiyat island with only one hotel up and running) or the hotel limo drives you for AED 70.
The Mercedes S-Class LWB is also recommended for the trip into the city. AED 150 are reasonable, however, on the way back we paid only AED 30 with a regular cab (but no driver knew the hotel! Taxi drivers actually don't know anything but the top 10 hotels in the city...).
Currently there are many families with small children staying in the hotel as, half of them German speaking, the rest is a mixture from all around the world.
All of them experienced a false fire alarm at 5:50 in the morning. All sirens went off in all rooms and it didn't stop for quite a while. No explanation or apology was given afterwards.
We really like the hotel because it is one of the best facilities we have visited and we would like to come back here next winter. Hopefully until then the service has stabilized its performance. The 5th star would then be really deserved!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank msspiderman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
dubai
Reviewed 21 December 2011

Stayed there celebrating my 25th wedding anniversary and really we could not have chosen a better place. The hotel has a "south beach miami" exterior feel and sits alone between the beach and golf course. The interiors are very spacious, stylish and understated. Our room was equally as impressive and every employee was extreemly well groomed and eager to please. We dined in both the Grill Room and the Beach House, both were excellent and we could not fault the service.

The hotel is the first of many planned for this area but for now sits alone on a pure white sandy beach fringed by protected sand dunes and a clear, clear blue sea. We will certainly return as this a is perfect getaway for those seeking a little peace and privacy.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank robconb
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 16 December 2011

Overall, I think that this will be a lovely property in a great location once the Saadiyat island is fully developed that will take several years as some of the plans were put on hold/delayed.

Problems that I encountered during my one night stay:
- There should have been a warning on the reservation page that the construction was going on. I loved to keep the balcony door open during the night when I could hear the waves. During the day I mostly heard drilling, jack hammering, and other construction related noises.
- Not sure what was my Diamond amenity? Box of chocolates?
- Internet and the telephone system (outside) were down entirely for more than 12 hours. Apparently, there was some problem with Etisalat, but it didn’t prevent me tethering on Etisalat’s 3G network using my Android phone.
- Both Grand and Park Hyatt’s in Dubai offer a complimentary minibar and airport transfers for suite guests. Apparently all other suites than the Park Suite do get a complimentary minibar here. None get complimentary airport transfers.
- In the afternoon received two phone calls. Guest services called to see if I would like to have my suite cleaned. Why would I if I am checking out in an hour? Then another call fifteen minutes later to see if I need any transportation. I had already informed them in the morning that I was going to take a metered taxi to my next destination.
- No welcome note/letter

Check in:

I had been upgraded from a Park King to a Sea View King due to my Diamond status with Hyatt. I inquired, whether further upgrades would be possible. Then I had the front desk manager to come to have a chat with me. He had previously worked at the Park Hyatt and Grand Hyatt hotels in Dubai. He went to say that they have some of the suites off from inventory for some light maintenance (will return to this later), that they have a rather large government group attending at the hotel that night, and that they don’t have problem selling suites even at 2AM.

When I asked about the mice problem they had had according to some reports on “internets”, I was corrected that they had been actually rats. There is a vacant lot next to the hotel where there had been some nests. They had been cleared. I didn’t see any rats during my stay, but then I was staying on the 4th floor.

Pools & Beach:

There are several small pools and couple of larger ones. There was plenty of sun chairs around. Nobody was by the pool, however. Walked to the beach through “protected” dune area. There was more sun chairs facing the sea and one actual guest. There was couple of employees cleaning the beach area.

Breakfast:

Had some cold items, fruits, breads, and cereals available from the buffet. The hot items could be ordered from the menu. The service at the breakfast was so so. I had to request the waiter to bring me milk for my tea three times before I received it. Also my empty orange juice glass was just taken away without asking if I would like to have more.

Fitness center and Spa:

Used the fitness center late in the evening. It is on the ground floor where sun shines during the morning and day. It was bit too hot even in the evening. They have modern equipment as one would expect from a hotel that was just opened. Only used the sauna and a steam room after my exercise. Both were nice.

Ocean View King:

Overall he room was very spacious for a King and had a lovely view of the gulf. The balcony had a sitting area. The bathroom was a typical modern one with a tub. The bathroom amenities they were using are Bergamote ones. The fruit bowl was an average for the region but I absolutely loved the chocolate / macaroons box.

The light system is bit complicated to use. Depending how long you press the switch it ether dims or strengthens the lights. It does take some time and learning how to use them correctly.

Room Tip: Try to get a proper sea view room.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank LoyaltyLobby
Mark L, Manager at Park Hyatt Abu Dhabi Hotel & Villas, responded to this review, 12 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences from your recent stay with us.

Your comments are very well noted, with our respective department Managers taking immediate corrective actions where required.

In saying the above, we look forward to being able to welcome you again, when next your travels bring you back to Abu Dhabi, and If I can be of any personal assistance, please kindly contact me directly.

With best regards

Mark Lyons
Resident Manager
UK
Reviewed 8 November 2011

I did a reccy as I live locally.

It's a classy hotel in final stages of being finished. Two restaurants and one bar open.

Beach cafe with views over dunes and open sea will be open in early Dec.

Rooms are spacious with large balconies.

Pools and beach look fantastic.

Room Tip: All rooms face the sea. Just ring rather than internet book for best rates. 3 bed presidential su...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
10 Thank Thomo69
Many thanks for your positive and encouraging comments, and we thank you for your support to Park Hyatt Abu Dhabi Hotel and Villas.

Looking forward to being able to welcome you back in the very near future.

With best regards