“An experience in Abu dhabi”

Park Hyatt Abu Dhabi Hotel & Villas
Ranked #8 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 10 January 2012

I stayed with my family over the holiday season (4 of us) from December 23 to jan 3.

Arrival experience.

My family and I always like choosing new destinations over holiday period. This time we decided to go to the middle east. We chose Abu dhabi because some friends recommended to us.

We always have stayed at 5 star luxury hotels around the world. Mandarin oriental Sanya china, four seasons chang Mai, park Hyatt Seul, park hyat shanghai.

We heard that our preferred hotel company was opening at this new island in Abu dhabi called sadiyatt so we decided to check it out. We did not regret our decision!

When we arrive at the hotel a tall bell boy open the taxi door and sayed to us "welcome to the park Hyatt Abu dhabi." needless to say he ask us check in? And in No hesitation took our luggages and directed us to the lobby which was a little to dark to my taste.

We arrive at 16 pm and noticed there where many guest check in at the same time! The staff noticing this accomodated us in the sofa and offer us a coffee and and piece of cake.! I must say this cake was delicious!!!

It made me completely forget that I need to wait 15 min in line for my check in! When check in time came i was amazed by the staff how quick and how efficient she was.
She asked me if I had any preferences that the hotel should be aware about due to the fact that I was going to stay at 10 days, I gave her my preferences and I will never forget the next 10 days of my holidays all my preferences where followed!!

Room

The room was nice but I had been in better rooms! Upon opening the door of my room I had a complimentary food basket with a variety of tropical fruits. There is a reason why the pillows at park Hyatt are known for! And well deserve! They are toooooo comfortable!

The toilet lights were not working properly but a called to reception had my problem fix in 20 min.

The balcony is to big but as it was December the sea breeze was so nice that I did no turn on the air con during my stay!

Pool facilities.

That night we decide to walk around the hotel and get to know more about it. We discover the hotel had two pools and we spotted employees bringing more sunbeds an umbrella. I thought the hotel must be full!

Breakfast.

We had to wait over 30 min to be seated for bkfst cause we decided to have our bkfst at 9.30 am we noticed there was a big quee and over 50 guest waiting. However again the staff behave so well, we noticed there were to staff bringing croissants and orange juiece to the guest that were waiting and offering us newspaper while we waited in line.

Lunch

There were not to many options for lunch at the hotel. We asked reception what was the best place to eat lunch at the hotel and they recommend us the Beach House.

The beach house is a restaurant that is located 3 min walk from the main building and has an espectacular view of the beach.

When we arrived at the restaurant there was a waiting time of 20 min a the tables were occupied but we were greeted and accomodated in
one of the sofas while we waited for the nex table to be free. We were
offered by the staff the beach house
drink speciality the beach house
Mojito. The waiter recommended us if we took three we were going to be very happy. And so we where it was a Mojito to die for, it was our drink for the rest of our holiday! The food was nice tasty and crispy and even though the staff was running around due to the volume of guests they had they always greeted everybody with a smile and made us feel welcome. We ate there 7 times during our stay and the staff ways remember our preference!

The park grill.

The signature restaurant of the hotel! Very classic with tables available inside and outside and good fresh seafood and cuts of meat! Service was top notch and the atmosphere was great!

New years and christmas! Firework display!

BBQ at the beach and a nite club on new years with a dj and free flow p champagne!

I must say this was the highlight of my trip we love the BBQ at the beach house and the night club on new years eve where great! We not only felt pampered and cared but the firework was one of the most elaborated and amazing I have seen in my life!

Overall my family and I felt pampered help and cared by all the staff!

It was a great choice of destination and hotel and I would recommend to all of you of you are willing to pay a little more for service then I tell you you would not regret it!

I will defently come back for holidays again here!

• Stayed: December 2011
5  Thank Glocal101
Write a ReviewReviews (2,319)

Reviewed 9 January 2012

Stayed here over New Year and a few days after. We truly enjoyed the hotel, its great facility and the white sandy beach...lucky us, we have seen some dolphins not too far away! as many others are writing - breakfast was very busy affair and over crowded, we decided to go to the grill restaurant after we have been informed that this restaurant opens extra due to the busy period, the atmosphere was good and the staff friendly or ordered room service which was a good experience! For such a fresh hotel, the service was quick and friendly! A great spot to have a drink and a lunch is their beach house- nice and casual. Dinners we had most of the stay at the grill restaurant and loved the food and the service, big open kitchen and good atmosphere. New Years Eve - the buffet, the fireworks, the party with DJ ....very good and we had a lot of fun with free flowing Champagne!
Our suite was excellent, clean and brand new - very spacious and great design, free standing bath tub and rain shower. A/C a bit out of control but we switched it off to avoid troubles. WiFi worked well and even around the hotel pool, the beach house we could use the internet.
Overall a great holiday in a very fresh and very busy hotel with some room for improvement to achieve a complete Park Hyatt experience! we loved it and will be back!...hopefully by then the taxi drivers do know the location of the hotel better!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ferien50
Indrani B, Manager at Park Hyatt Abu Dhabi Hotel & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences during your recent stay with us.

I am very pleased to read your positive and encouraging comments particularly for our overall customer service and hotel facilities, along with the sighting of the dolphins just off our beach front, and New Years Eve festivities and fireworks.

Looking forward to being able to welcome you back on your next visit to Park Hyatt Abu Dhabi Hotel and Villas.

Mark Lyons
Resident Manager

Reviewed 7 January 2012

My husbend and me stayied at the Park Hyatt for 5 days over New Year!
We had a really great experience which we thaught we should share. The hotel and all its facilities is amazing, not only because the hotel just openend its doors recently but also because the design is just breath taking and very elegant!
Eventhough, in some ways and VERY RARE occasions, you face that the staff needs some more practice, I think that all of them from housekeeping to reception to the restaurants did a fantastic job.
Upon check in, we were greeted friendly and due to the fact that we arrived quite late and were very tired, we could not relax, but the friendly staff Jana, Asan and Pablo from the front office team, offered us a glass of water and handled our check in promt and professionally. Once arrived in the room it was a bit chilli, but as soon as the aircondition was off, we just slept away immediately. Next morning we had our first breakfast in the Cafe. It was very busy as it seemed the hotel was nearly fully booked. All staff memebers were running and trying their best to serve every single one of the guests. The restaurants are quite small for so many guests in house, but the following days they opened up their other restaurant, the Grill, to have more space for breakfast guests and that really helped. We have decided to order breakfast through room service every morning, which was not only the most relaxing but also the most suitable solution, food on time, coffee hot , great start into the day.
The rooms are very spacious and nicely designed. The bath tab is amazing, really big and also the amenities such as bath salt ect are just a great additional touch...

The pool area is nice. We chose to relax on the pool rather then on the beach, simply due to the fact that it was quite windy. The hotel offers a nice pool menu, and great options where to enjoy lunch, either in the Cafe - their Arabic cousine type of restaurant or the Beach House - Mediterranian tapas style, located directly on the beach.

While my husbend went to the Gerry Player golf course just a couple of yards away from the hotel, I indulged into a very relaxing Diamond Massage in the hotel's spa.
The staff there seems to have a lot of experience, from taking appointments to the actual treatments - the only thing is the temperature in the treatment rooms, which for my personal taste is a bit too cold.

When you want to have a nice dinner by the beach, with a breath taking view over miles and miles of white pure beach, and enjoying the sunset meanwhile, then you must go to the Beach House. I believe this will become a hot spot of Abu Dhabi, and many locals and experts will go there in future. Their Mojito is great and all staff is very friendly.

The other night we went to the Grill - the hotel's so called signature restaurant. We shared a very tasty seafood platter and also the tenderloin was good.
Dinner was followed by after - drinks in the Park Bar, which you can enter though the stairs of the restaurant, located in the lobby level.

In the lobby, they also have a type of French pastry shop / lounge which is connected to the Business Center. Great when you forgot your laptop and need to check mails etc.

New Years Eve was great. Eventhough a lot of people were in the hotel, the team seasmed to be well organized. We requested a seat in the Park Bar and Grill, when taking part in the Gala, which was ready and waiting for us, eventho we decided to come half an hour later. The offered a great buffet and a huge selection of alcoholic beverages (it was a package for this night) as well as access to the Beach House later on, where they had a DJ entertaining, offered a glass of Champagne and had the most amazing firework I have ever seen before.
Many staff members where outstanding during our stay, Quyn from the Beach House, Astian from the Grill and the Hungarian Bar Keeper in the Park Bar, but also Guillaume the Manager.
Unfortunately we had to leave two days later. Our flight was quite ealry and we had troubles organizing a transport by ourselves. But the front office team, most of them German but well spoken in English, helped us organizing the early transport to the airport.
No doubt that there is a lot of space for imporvement, and training, but it was great to spen our holidays there and we will definitaly come back next year for this fireworks!!!
If they continue to treat guests as they do now - 5*s well deserved!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sandra P
Reviewed 31 December 2011

I'm at risk of spending my New Year's eve at Abu Dhabi immigration. Lovely. The hotel confirmed our visas to me like a week ago - now the immigration office at the airport do not have it.

If they managed to screw up something as critical, what else can we expect? Gotta love the Hyatt. Will keep you posted

• Stayed: December 2011
8  Thank cymreig
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Staying here for 8 days over New Year. First, the hotel is brand new so there is really nothing to complain about the facilities - the interiour is a great design and also the pool and beach area is in perfect condition. Our suite is just great, very spacious and two large balconies with ocean view.
There is no disturbance from construction sites nearby! The St. Regis is too far away and the Shangri-La has not yet started being build. However, that is also sort of the problem: the hotel is located in the middle of nowhere. And as there is no shop in the hotel you would always need to drive about 20km to the city. Futhermore, there are no restaurants in the neigbourhood and the 3 hotel restaurants are obviously too small to host all guests. Same is true for breakfast: people are lining up in the morning until tables are available. But as we have heard it is now the first time that since the opening some months ago the hotel is fully booked. The service in the restaurants has definitely room for improvement. Only few waiters/waitresses seem to have experience in this job and some have to face it: they are completely free of talent...
The food is great, especially the Park Grill and the Beach House offer very delicious meals at reasonable prices.
Fruit basket in the room is re filled daily and bottled water is free as well. Spa is great (Ladies and Men separeted) and staff is available in the fitness center all the time!
Concierge service is very helpful and organized what was possible, however, don't expect more than what you could have done in the internet yourself (by the way: free WLan).
We picked the hotel because of the Saadiyat Golfclub which is just across the street but it is rather strange: the club house might be only 300m away from the hotel (arial line) but you drive there 10min as you have to go around the full course! No free shuttle offered. Either you call a taxi (takes about 20 min because there is no infrastructure yet on Saadiyat island with only one hotel up and running) or the hotel limo drives you for AED 70.
The Mercedes S-Class LWB is also recommended for the trip into the city. AED 150 are reasonable, however, on the way back we paid only AED 30 with a regular cab (but no driver knew the hotel! Taxi drivers actually don't know anything but the top 10 hotels in the city...).
Currently there are many families with small children staying in the hotel as, half of them German speaking, the rest is a mixture from all around the world.
All of them experienced a false fire alarm at 5:50 in the morning. All sirens went off in all rooms and it didn't stop for quite a while. No explanation or apology was given afterwards.
We really like the hotel because it is one of the best facilities we have visited and we would like to come back here next winter. Hopefully until then the service has stabilized its performance. The 5th star would then be really deserved!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank msspiderman
Reviewed 21 December 2011

Stayed there celebrating my 25th wedding anniversary and really we could not have chosen a better place. The hotel has a "south beach miami" exterior feel and sits alone between the beach and golf course. The interiors are very spacious, stylish and understated. Our room was equally as impressive and every employee was extreemly well groomed and eager to please. We dined in both the Grill Room and the Beach House, both were excellent and we could not fault the service.

The hotel is the first of many planned for this area but for now sits alone on a pure white sandy beach fringed by protected sand dunes and a clear, clear blue sea. We will certainly return as this a is perfect getaway for those seeking a little peace and privacy.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank robconb
Reviewed 16 December 2011

Overall, I think that this will be a lovely property in a great location once the Saadiyat island is fully developed that will take several years as some of the plans were put on hold/delayed.

Problems that I encountered during my one night stay:
- There should have been a warning on the reservation page that the construction was going on. I loved to keep the balcony door open during the night when I could hear the waves. During the day I mostly heard drilling, jack hammering, and other construction related noises.
- Not sure what was my Diamond amenity? Box of chocolates?
- Internet and the telephone system (outside) were down entirely for more than 12 hours. Apparently, there was some problem with Etisalat, but it didn’t prevent me tethering on Etisalat’s 3G network using my Android phone.
- Both Grand and Park Hyatt’s in Dubai offer a complimentary minibar and airport transfers for suite guests. Apparently all other suites than the Park Suite do get a complimentary minibar here. None get complimentary airport transfers.
- In the afternoon received two phone calls. Guest services called to see if I would like to have my suite cleaned. Why would I if I am checking out in an hour? Then another call fifteen minutes later to see if I need any transportation. I had already informed them in the morning that I was going to take a metered taxi to my next destination.
- No welcome note/letter

Check in:

I had been upgraded from a Park King to a Sea View King due to my Diamond status with Hyatt. I inquired, whether further upgrades would be possible. Then I had the front desk manager to come to have a chat with me. He had previously worked at the Park Hyatt and Grand Hyatt hotels in Dubai. He went to say that they have some of the suites off from inventory for some light maintenance (will return to this later), that they have a rather large government group attending at the hotel that night, and that they don’t have problem selling suites even at 2AM.

When I asked about the mice problem they had had according to some reports on “internets”, I was corrected that they had been actually rats. There is a vacant lot next to the hotel where there had been some nests. They had been cleared. I didn’t see any rats during my stay, but then I was staying on the 4th floor.

Pools & Beach:

There are several small pools and couple of larger ones. There was plenty of sun chairs around. Nobody was by the pool, however. Walked to the beach through “protected” dune area. There was more sun chairs facing the sea and one actual guest. There was couple of employees cleaning the beach area.

Breakfast:

Had some cold items, fruits, breads, and cereals available from the buffet. The hot items could be ordered from the menu. The service at the breakfast was so so. I had to request the waiter to bring me milk for my tea three times before I received it. Also my empty orange juice glass was just taken away without asking if I would like to have more.

Fitness center and Spa:

Used the fitness center late in the evening. It is on the ground floor where sun shines during the morning and day. It was bit too hot even in the evening. They have modern equipment as one would expect from a hotel that was just opened. Only used the sauna and a steam room after my exercise. Both were nice.

Ocean View King:

Overall he room was very spacious for a King and had a lovely view of the gulf. The balcony had a sitting area. The bathroom was a typical modern one with a tub. The bathroom amenities they were using are Bergamote ones. The fruit bowl was an average for the region but I absolutely loved the chocolate / macaroons box.

The light system is bit complicated to use. Depending how long you press the switch it ether dims or strengthens the lights. It does take some time and learning how to use them correctly.

Room Tip: Try to get a proper sea view room.