“Out of this world, absolutely superb!”

The Westin Abu Dhabi Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #25 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

The Westin truly is a fantastic hotel. After staying in the hotel for over a week, I returned for a further eight days, and both holidays were out of this world. I apologise for the long review however, I like to cover as much as possible.

Food:

Upon arrival at the hotel we were swiftly checked in, and as our luggage was taken to our hotel rooms we proceeded downstairs to the restaurant for the famous claws night, (numerous variations of different lobster dishes, crab, prawns, and many more!) The food in this hotel is absolutely stunning, all beautifully prepared and presented and you will genuinely struggle to try all the dishes during your holiday as there is always something different in the buffet. This ranges from the fresh kebabs which you have cooked in front of you, to authentic chinese cuisine, indian cuisine, a variety of lobster and crabs on a nightly basis and more than I could ever mention. The staff in the restaurant are absolutely fantastic, nothing is too much trouble, and they are exceptionally gracious. Koko, who I believe is the restaurant manager is brilliant and Yamundow is superb. Every morning when we arrived for breakfast Yamundow would know our exact coffee order, despite the coffee being ridiculously awkward (half strength cappuccino, without froth and extra cold milk on the side).

The breakfasts are to die for, fresh waffles, pancakes omelettes all cooked in front of you which are absolutely beautiful. The avocado wraps were a personal favourite of mine, not to mention the variety of food available, it is by far the best buffet I have ever, ever seen and tasted.

I do wish they served the chocolate soufflés on more than just the claws night, as they are absolutely incredible and normally I am very full after devouring all the stunning lobster and crab!

Pools:

There are three pools, a large pool which is perhaps the most popular as children are able to use it, and it is large enough you do not feel bothered by noisy children. There is a smaller adjacent childs pool which is shallow and under a very large parasol which provides shade, and then my favourite is the adults only pool. This consists of swimming lanes, sun beds in the water, gorgeous cabanas around the loungers, underneath large four poster style shelter. When you arrive at the pool the staff take towels over to the loungers which you choose, and they set them up on the beds for you which is lovely. There is a pool bar which has tables for lunch or just for drinks, and the food at lunch is gorgeous, in particular the club sandwich. When you are sat around the pools the staff will frequently come round and offer drinks, which they bring over to you, and my personal favourite are the non alcoholic cocktails they bring over which are to die for, in particular the non alcoholic pina colada! Gibril is one of the staff at the pool bar and he is brilliant. He is so hard working and absolutely wonderful with the guests, he could not do more for you. When eating at the pool bar the staff will also bring over a little smoking dish which keeps the bugs away from you and your food. The adults only pool is also usually a little cooler than the family pool which is lovely to cool off in. My only slight complaint with my favourite pool is that it is adults only yet the children's swimming lessons, which are done by external swimming teachers, sometimes use the adults only pool which should not be allowed. It is adults only, not adults only and screaming children during a swimming lesson. The family pool is more than spacious enough and this was happening when the family pool was very quiet.

Health Spa and Salon:

During my two visits, I frequented the health spa and the salon on numerous occasions. The facial in the Health Spa was fantastic and really worth the price. Melissa is a wonderful "beautician". I do not like to use that word as the staff are much more than beauticians, they are very thorough and professional and give the most fantastic treatments. The Salon which is very popular as a hairdressers is a separate company which is hired externally by the hotel. Sheila (I really hope I have spelt her name correctly) is by far the best beautician I have ever had. She takes care of the pedicures, which I had three during my holidays at the Westin Hotel. I had one in the Health Spa, but after having my first in the Salon with Sheila I had to return for more. I liked to have one at the beginning of the holiday and one at the end but I thoroughly recommend to anyone. It is more like visiting a chiropodist than having a pedicure. Your feet look stunning afterwards, and my feet were not in the best of shape when I visited. She really should be moved to the Health Spa by the hotel as she is the most talented pedicurist I have ever had, I cannot wait for my next visit!

Rooms:

It is difficult to know where to start with the rooms as they are fantastic. As you enter the room there is a long corridor, with the bathroom leading off and a very spacious wardrobe with shelves. The bathroom has a very large bath, a walk in shower wet room, and a walk in room for the toilet. It is lovely that these are separated, I have never seen individual wet rooms in bathrooms before. Above the bath is a retractable washing line for anything you want to dry after hand washing, although with certain deals with the hotel you can have items washed and dried and ironed by the hotel, returned within the same day! The towels are huge and super thick and soft they're fabulous.

The beds are by far the comfiest I have ever stayed in, and the pillows are amazing, you will not get a better nights sleep than you do in these beds. You automatically will have your room cleaned daily and fresh bedding put on, unless you choose not to have the room cleaned. There is an electronic pad outside the bedroom door which you can customise to tell staff not to enter, ask housekeeping to come, although they insist on cleaning the room every three days which is fair. As I had two double beds in my room, I would alternate between sleeping in each bed before having the room cleaned. The air con and the lights are all controlled by a touch screen panel which is very modern! The balcony is gorgeous, not just your standard chairs, but comfortable wicker chairs with cushions on and an attractive glass table. The rooms really are fantastic and storage space is really not an issue with these very spacious, luxurious rooms.

The views are gorgeous, overlooking their huge golf course which is beautifully maintained and famous worldwide. I cannot really comment further on the golf course aside from its beautiful views, as I still have not used the golf course or the driving range area but I certainly shall on my next visit.

Bars:

There are two bars within the hotel, Retreat, which is downstairs, often shows the sports on the televisions, serves its own separate bar menu and has a combination of high tables and chairs and regular dining tables and chairs and the occasional couch. Lemon and Lime Bar is upstairs opposite the reception and is more like a cocktail lounge. It is very elegant, has many couches and lounging chairs with low tables. Depending on your hotel package there are options available for drinks and food. We were able to drink for free in Lemon and Lime Bar for two hours during the evening, and there is also a small range of a few dishes which you may have as a light dinner. This bar is usually quite quiet, which I never understand as I think it is wonderful. The staff in here are also fantastic and always remember our drinks order, and are exceptionally kind and welcoming.

Hotel miscellaneous:

Abu Dhabi centre takes around fifteen minutes in a taxi to travel to and if you want a hotel the door staff automatically signal one for you which is nice. The taxi price is exceptionally reasonable in Abu Dhabi you would not believe how little it costs, so it really isn't an issue going into Abu Dhabi if you fancy seeing the sights, such as the stunning mosque, or visiting the malls. The hotel even has its own cashpoint so you never have to struggle to hunt one down in the town.

I would definitely recommend asking reception for a plug in that repels the bugs.

The only thing I would say this hotel lacks, is a small convenience shop. It is a minor inconvenience having to taxi into the town to get some more shampoo, deodorant, toiletries, insect repellant, extra suncream etc. And I was silly enough to forget a couple of necessities such as a hair brush so had to make a quick visit to the supermarkets. The hotel is very spacious with more than enough room to accommodate a small shop so perhaps this is something they may consider in the future.

Overall, this hotel takes luxury to a new level. It is immaculately presented, in a stunning location. The staff really do make this beautiful hotel an incredible holiday experience. I cannot wait to return in a months time for another holiday!

• Stayed: June 2014
Jose I, Manager at The Westin Abu Dhabi Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Dear Caferouge,

Thank you for taking the time to review you recent stay with us online.

I am honored and sincerely appreciate your praise and recognition. The whole team is proud to receive such feedback.

I am delighted to know that we were able to impress you with our Resort and the services we provide.

It will be a great pleasure to have you staying with us again in the future for another renewing experience.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

I have just returned from a golf weekend package special, and I have to say it was very disappointing.

whilst the rooms are very nice and spacious, the service and knowledge of the front desk staff and restaurant staff let them down.

1. check in - was quick but the staff do not seem to know what was or was not included in the package
2. during check in we asked a question about what food outlets were open and if there were any restrictions - at this stage we were given incorrect information (the reason we asked these questions was due to our stay being during Ramadan).
3. When we went for a late lunch, we went to visit one of the restaurants that's the reception had advised us was Open - it was not Open.
4. We then went to another restaurant (all day dining), we had our lunch which was fine, however when we went to pay for the bill, the staff in the restaurant had not given us our 20% discount, which was part of the package we had booked. It took us over 25 minutes to get this sorted out - note to management, you should make all your staff aware of the packages that you are advertising and selling.
5. In the evening we decided to have our meal in the "golf part of the Westin Abu Dhabi and Golf Club", upon arriving at the restaurant it was closing (this was at 9pm), again when checking in the staff should have clearly told us what was available and what was not available - this was not told to us.
6. Check out - relatively smooth, however after check out the hotel have applied another charge to my credit card, for which I have not signed and I am awaiting their management to tell me what this charge is.

Unfortunately when I go back to Abu Dhabi for a "stay vacation", this hotel will not be on my list.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
ExecManagerOffice, Front Office Manager at The Westin Abu Dhabi Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Seashells7777

Thank you for your post on Tripadvisor.

I was sorry to learn of your concerns regarding your recent stay and at the outset, would like to offer my sincere apologies for the disappointment you have expressed.

We do pride ourselves on our exceptionally high standard of service and I do sincerely hope you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience.
As you mentioned you visited us during Ramadan therefore we had limited offering drought the day however this should not prevent us from not providing you with information about dining options or offering the eligible discounts. Here I have to mention that the golf club is not managed by the hotel and we do not have control over promotions and opening and closing time.
As for additional charges being applied to your credit card after departure, I will appreciate if you please forward details to me on JoseMiguel.Infante@westin.com and I will be in contact with you with details.
I am grateful for your comments as such information enables us to continually monitor and improve the service we are offering.

In closing, may I thank you, once again, for taking the time to bring your concerns to my attention. We are grateful for your support and do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 25 July 2014

My wife and I spent a weekend here for our wedding anniversary last year. We checked in a Friday afternoon and we were treated like royalty from the moment we arrived.

Our room was a suite overlooking the golf course which, despite being in the middle of the city, gives you the feeling of being out in the countryside. The room itself was really well appointed, bright and airy, and of course, having let them know it was our anniversary, the romantic touch was given to the room making it that much more special.

While my wife was being spoilt with a Spa treatment (which she thoroughly enjoyed) I relaxed by the pool sipping cocktails. I must say though that the pool was rather crowded which takes away from the intimacy of the hotel, it seemed that many of the people at the pool were day visitors and given the number of guests in the restaurant in the evening I believe this was indeed the case.

Dinner was at the same restaurant where the famous Bubbalicious Brunch is held and I got the feeling that dinner was a rehash of the earlier brunch. Don't get me wrong, the food was delicious and the variety tremendous but if you had attended the brunch you were getting the exact same fare for dinner.

Staff at the hotel are friendly and efficient and our stay was most pleasant.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Steve O,

I was very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us and I would like to thank you for letting me know how impressed you were with the service you received.
Customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise. I have brought your comments to the attention of those concerned.

Thank you, once again, for taking the time to write. We are grateful for your support and look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

My husband and I stayed for two nights at this hotel as we were attending an event in Abu Dhabi. The golf course surroundings were lovely but the staff kept walking into our room uninvited and it was extremely off-putting.

When we arrived, I put the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door, and was getting dressed, when someone knocked on the door. I shouted that I'll be there in a second, when the door opened and a male member of staff walked in. Thankfully, the room had a long passage and the person couldn't see in to where I was, and disaster was averted.

However this happened 5 more times while the "Do Not Disturb" sign was up - the worst at around 4 am when a man walked into our room, and when my husband asked him what he was doing there, he said it was to check the minibar!

This resulted in me not sleeping after that and writing a rather sarcastic email to Klaus Niefer, the manager.

He was quite apologetic, and took one night off our hotel stay, but we never stayed at the Westin again, it all seemed a bit too dogdy for us. It's not like he could refund us for the lost hours of sleep and constant tenterhooks about getting dressed or even undressed in case we were disturbed ;-)

Other than that, the room was of a 5 * standard, except for a drainage smell in the bathroom- but this does seem to be a UAE thing. Breakfast had a lot on offer, pancakes were delicious. The evening buffet was excellent if you're a seafood lover, not so much if you're not.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TravelnCakes
ExecManagerOffice, Front Office Manager at The Westin Abu Dhabi Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear TravelnCakes,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I deeply apologize that we were unable to meet your expectations during your recent stay which contributed to your concerning comments here on TripAdvisor.
We at The Westin Abu Dhabi continually strive to offer exceptional levels of services which in this case it appears we have failed to deliver.

I hope in your trust that we will surely do an internal follow up to avoid that issues such as you have mentioned occur again in the future.

I sincerely hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back and be able to change that expereince into an unforgettable one.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

The hotel itself is really nice. It overlooks a golf course and the surroundings are really beautiful. The rooms are spacious however it is a bit sad in the rooms that the places where they used marble are really dirty and in our case the desk, also made out of marble was really sticky. These have not been cleaned in years and will never be clean again since it is a natural stone so all the dirt has been absorbed by the marble.

But ok our stay, mmm... our check in was relatively smooth only our room was not ready yet. So we agreed with the receptionist that we would leave our luggage in the hotel. Which was not a problem and our luggage would be in our room when we would get back. We returned 5 hours later.... but guess what? no luggage. Not a problem so I phoned tot he conceriege on duty. 10 minutes later he called back because we had to describe our luggage. Did that and finally our luggage arrived.

During the chekin the clerk told us that due to the class of room we had booked we were entitled to the happy hour in the bar. Lovely, so around 7 pm we went to the bar had some snacks and ordered the drinks. But of course there was a problem. Our waitress said that we were not entitled to the happy hour and had to pay. So back to the reception they had to check and yes we were entitled to it. The clerk then on duty said he would make a note in our booking so everybody would be able to see it. Tragically, such a note was never made and the same thing happened the next day. The day after the next day they tried again but I said we are not having this conversation for the third time.

During check in we also made a booking for the golf . Normally a voucher is given but since we didn't have our room number yet, this would be delivered to our number. Unfortunately it suffered a bit the same faith as our luggage. The voucher never arrived. Here again not to worry so next evening I went up to the concierge on duty and asked for the voucher. Guess what? We were not in the system, not by name not by room number, nada niente nichts. As that was after the second discussion about if we were entitled to the happy hour we had a bit enough. So I told the concierge not to make a new booking for us since we were going to check out. I think we were quite patient with the service of the hotel but enough is enough. But that was not the end of it. Next morning at 7.15 AM concierge on the phone; We didn't show up at the tee off time. Excuse me?! We were not in the system etc etc. He tried to lay the blame on us and that we could tee off later but we already decided to leave so no thank you. That was quite a discussion so early in the morning.

So next day we checked out. Straightened everything out with the concierge and he admitted that it was something with his team. We told the receptionist of our concernes and he told us that we would be contacted by the manager. Needles to say that this also never happened. But to put the cherry on the cake, we have been anyway charged for the golf on our credit card although that was not the agreement we made when we left.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sammiess
ExecManagerOffice, Front Office Manager at The Westin Abu Dhabi Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Sammiess,

I would like to thank you for your stay with us and for sharing your experience.

We accommodate a number of guests in our hotel and are proud to have the flexibility to meet the requirements of all our guests. It is therefore extremely disappointing to have let you down on this occasion.

Regarding the tee time booked with our concierge, you received confirmation at the time about the terms and conditions of the booking, and as you may also be aware the 48 hour cancellation policy is strictly set by the golf club and doesn't allow us to be more flexible with the changes and/or no shows.

Your present feelings are appreciated, however, I do hope that you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience.
We do look forward to welcome you back at The Westin Abu Dhabi Golf Resort & Spa.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

The Westin is a good quality hotel with a great range of resort features including 27 holes of very good golf course.
Our room was a standard king size bed room and had great views over the golf course. It was very quiet and had a very comfortable bed with a good choice of pillows. The bathroom was excellent.
Breakfast was really good with a wide range of cultural offerings - I had perfect salmon eggs Benedict today and a nice omelet yesterday.
If I had any criticism it would be the wifi service - available everywhere but so slow almost impossible to use, unless you pay about $20 a day for an upgraded service. In my view that is a really dumb thing for a quality hotel to do.
Apart from that, I'd recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Pottsy747
ExecManagerOffice, Front Office Manager at The Westin Abu Dhabi Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Pottsy747,

Thank you very much for reviewing your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor.

It is truly a highlight that all of our rooms overlook the lush greens of Abu Dhabi Golf Club and we are glad you enjoyed the views.

Breakfast at Fairways restaurant is a great way to start the day and the wide range of different kind of foods probably leaves nothing left to be desired.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Westin Abu Dhabi Golf Resort & Spa for another renewing experience.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Fantastic 4 night stay. I cannot find any negatives . Room well appointed. Bed really comfortable with fantastic pillow choice. Breakfast and evening buffet were my favorites. Amazing choice of well prepared fresh food. Brilliant bread at the breakfast too. Nice pool and good cold beer. Will definitely stay again when next in Abu Dhabi

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Cav_on_tour_13

Dear Cav_on_tour_13,

Many thanks for recently having stayed at The Westin Abu Dhabi and subsequently sharing your feedback online.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed our Heavenly Beds and the dining options in our Resort.

It is our pleasure to share your compliments with our brilliant chefs.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back for another renewing experience.