“Almost perfect......”

Ranked #14 of 129 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Brisbane, Australia
“Almost perfect......”
Reviewed 13 December 2012

The architecture is stunning. Rooms are well appointed and testefully decorated with great bathrooms that are spacious and well set up. The decor of the rooms is tasteful and modern, the seating is comfortable, the work area well laid out and spacious with good lighting and the beds are comfortable and the rooms well sound proofed. The coffee machine in the room is a great touch and much appreciated by those of us who work late into the night and are addicted to coffee. Buffet breakfast is good with an excellent variety of food and great views! Decor throughout the hotel is elegant and tasteful. My only two gripes are minor and could be resolved very easily. First was that I received my wakeup call 2 hours early at 0345 which was extremely annoying as I had only been asleep for 1.5 hours when I received the call, and only just got back to sleep when the real call came through at 0545. Second complaint is the slowness of the concierge service. I checked in at 2315 and it took 40 minutes for the baggage to be brought to my room, and when I checked out at 0700 it took 30 minutes for them to respond. Apart from that everything else was to the high standard I expect from Hyatt properties.

Room Tip: The rooms are all on the higher levels of the building - the Hyatt starts on 18th Floor and the room...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Sinabada55

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Pune, India
Reviewed 7 December 2012

The first thing that strikes you about this building is its architecture. The check in and check out was efficient. The rooms are spacious and the bathrooms are comfortably large too. Good variety of food on the buffet breakfast. Room service was a bit slow. The fitness center, spa and swimming pool were all really good. Perfect hotel for business trips. Views from the rooms are nice.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SiddharthVasudevan
CapitalGate A, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Capital Gate, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback with us. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your stay however regret that your Room Service experience was slow. The team has been made aware of your feedback so we can work towards ensuring this doesn't happen again.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 1 December 2012

It is a beautiful hotel and the staff were excellent. It is nice to stay at a hotel where every aspect of the stay was great. The fitness facility has great equipment. The food and service in the restaurant and bar were perfect. The rooms were clean and well laid out. All of the staff were helpful.

2 Thank Mavrik2020
Singapore
Reviewed 30 November 2012

I stayed here for about five days (Red eye flights with early arrivals and late departures make for difficult counting) on business. We chose this hotel due to Hyatt loyalty by some and looked nice and iconic.
The hotel did not start off on the right foot. We had pre-arranged a car and driver to meet us at the airport for our early AM flight arrival. Much to our disappointment the driver was nowhere to be found and calls to the hotel did not instil confidence on an imminent arrival. After about half an hour of searching and calling we decided to take a taxi and told the hotel, on their eventual call-back, to not bother. Upon arrival is when the great guest service kicked in. The manager met us at the taxi apologizing for the confusion, got us checked in to very nice rooms much ahead of check in time and reimbursed us for the taxi. While this did not change the fact of the error it was more than could be expected as a recovery.
This hotel's location is currently very confusing with the amount of construction in the area. On your first arrival you will most likely get lost. However, after figuring it out you can easily guide taxis, who know of the building, on the finer points of getting to the building. I wasn't working at the exhibition center so I was commuting by taxi on a regular basis. If you are working at the ADNEC then the location is unbeatable and very convenient. From what I can gather Abu Dhabi is rather spread out so unless you stay right where you are working any hotel will likely require a commute. Taxis weren't an issue, almost always arriving about five minutes after asking the bellmen. Coming back Taxi's knew where it was and after you figure out how to guide them the last bit to the hotel.
The building is very nice and clean and well maintained. I was actually thinking it had only opened a couple of months prior but it has actually been opened for over a year. The entrance on the ground floor has a basic functional lobby area with a coffee sandwich café. The primary lobby is up on the 18th floor with the lounge and three-meal restaurant. The unique structural design of the building is not readily noticeable inside the building, which is good you don’t feel as though you are in a fun-house illusion. However inside the guest room area the open core of the building does let you see the lean of the building through the incremental setback of the floors. Judging by other travellers photos and speaking with co-workers I think that all of the rooms are fairly unique due to the uniqueness of the building shift and lean. My room, which I believe was upgraded due to the arrival issue, was very nice, large and spacious. There is a large bed, seating area, desk area and an open bathroom. As is becoming common in hotel design the bathroom is very open to all, keep this in mind if planning a trip with someone other than yourself or your partner. One design complaint is that the bathroom sink is designed with form over function; the countertop bowl style sink is too high to allow for enough room under the spigot to comfortably fit your hands.
There is a pool with a nice view, however if you are looking for a pool based hotel look elsewhere. This is a business hotel and there are plenty of nice resort style properties around the whole Abu Dhabi area. I didn’t make use of the spa as the process seemed a bit high and my time was limited.
All of the staff I encountered were very nice, friendly and helpful. The housekeeping services were excellent, including the nightly refresh.
The breakfast was very nice, with a very large pastry selection. Something different I had not seen before was the option to choose your main from the menu for the buffet. It would appear that instead of have the man items (French toast, eggs, etc…) sitting on the line in a warmer you are instead invited to choose from a menu to have your selection specially made. The main restaurant is a bit expensive with an extensive menu to choose from and large portion sizes. Good for dinner, too much for lunch. I didn’t eat downstairs at Profiterole, but saw the menu and that would appear to be a good choice for lunch or a light dinner.
Overall I would suggest this hotel to any business traveller. It is a bit expensive, but if traveling on business it is a very nice hotel with good guest service.

Room Tip: The rooms are all so different, the view is similar in all directions, building is quiet. Just hope...
1 Thank Jasher0
CapitalGate A, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Capital Gate, responded to this review, 3 December 2012
Dear Guest

Allow us to please take this opportunity to again apologise for the confusion in regards to your airport transfer. Although our recovery exceeded your expectations, this error should not have occurred and we look into this to ensure we prevent a similar situation with other guests.

The construction around the hotel should be over in the next month or so and will provide even easier access directly from the highway making travel to the city and surrounding areas much quicker. As we’re located next to a main highway, it is just 20 minutes to the city.

We’re delighted to hear that you enjoyed the services you received, room allocation, F&B etc and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Reviewed 22 November 2012

Our reason to be in Abu Dhabi was an exhibition at ADNEC. So its location was great.
The price was good compared with the services.

Turkish cooks were amazing! Recommended to eat at the restaurant. Well not economic for sure, like the hotel itself.

Highly recommended for business travels and exhibitions. Very friendly staff.

1 Thank Travelfreak-x
Dear Guest

We’re humbled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and we’ll be sure to let our Turkish chefs in 18 Degrees know of your wonderful comments!

We hope to see you again in the near future.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2012

We stayed at Hyatt Capital Gate for 4 nights at the start of the November for the Grand Prix. I cannot speak highly enough of this hotel and the staff.

From the moment we arrived until we left we experienced excellent customer service. The staff were genuinely warm and showed a personal interest in all of their guests. Special mention has to go to Ankush who took time out to offer his assistance to us during our stay. He had lived in Leith in Edinburgh which was a pleasant surprise to chat to him about back home. Ankush was a great advocate of the Hyatt group and he is a credit to the Hyatt brand.

We stayed in a "standard" room on the 21st floor but it certainly wasn't standard in design. As a new hotel the fixtures and fittings were modern and the room was had a high-end designer, minimalist look. I particularly loved the egg shaped bath made of Corian and the wet room / shower was great. It has given me inspiration for my next bathroom! The view from the room across Abu Dhabi was fabulous and our view certainly wasn't spoiled by any construction.

The star of the show is of course the building which is absolutely stunning. The interior structure of the hotel is fantastic, the lobby is gorgeous and of course the exterior is breathtaking. It is tempting after a long day to just go straight from your taxi into the hotel and your room, but we made the time to gaze up at the hotel exterior at night. The building is so unique. Such a unique structure deserves fantastic facilities, and the hotel spa / swimming pool befits the building. The views are incredible and the staff were attentive, ensuring you had sufficient shade, drinks, etc. Swimming in the pool at night is a great experience and one you shouldn't miss if staying at the hotel.

As we booked a great "room only" rate and we were at the Grand Prix for most of our stay we didn't get a chance to dine at any of the hotel restaurants so I cannot comment on the quality of the food. However, if you were to stay at the hotel for either business or pleasure then I suspect you would eat at the hotel during your stay given the location of the hotel (see below). We did have a drink in the terrace bar one night and of course savoured the view.

As you can tell from my comments above we absolutely loved this hotel due to the building, the rooms, staff, etc. If we were to return to Abu Dhabi we would almost certainly stay here again. However, the main “con” of staying at this hotel is mainly due to the location. The hotel is located in ADNEC (Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre) which is still a developing / emerging location subject to construction. The construction wasn't really an issue for us given that the rooms start from the 20th floor, but it is a test for the taxi drivers who you will come to rely on during your stay unless you hire a car. A couple of taxi drivers really struggled to negotiate the diversions.

Additionally, subject to traffic the hotel is about a 15-20 minute drive to the Corniche / downtime Abu Dhabi. This wasn't an issue for us as we were well located for going out to Yas Marina (for the GP) and the hotel was very close to the Grand Mosque, the other main attraction we wanted to see during our trip. For our purposes the hotel location was advantageous but for others it may not be ideal. Taxis are plentiful in Abu Dhabi and we never had to wait longer than 10 minutes for a taxi from the hotel, even during the busy GP weekend.

The only other "con" with pointing out was wi-fi. We are all so reliant on our iPhones / smartphones these days so wi-fi has become an essential. We stayed in several 5* hotels during our trip and this was the only hotel that sought to charge us. The one time we did decide to pay the fee it didn't work for us. I suggest Hyatt rectify the situation by making the wi-fi free and reliable.

In summary, we had an amazing stay at Abu Dhabi and I would highly recommend this hotel for either business or leisure. I would particularly recommend this hotel for those staying at the GP because it is conveniently located between Yas Marina the the Corniche. A great stay and one I will never forget.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laineylop
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments in regards to the service, design and overall experience you had at the hotel. Ankush is a great asset to the hotel and he’s delighted to have been able to provide you the personal assistance you were after.

We do apologise for the construction surrounding the hotel as we’re improving the general infrastructure of the roads to make the arrival experience a quicker and smoother one.

In regards to internet access, we will look into the issues that may have caused this service not to work to ensure we rectify the situation. Complimentary internet access is provided for those saying in a Suite or on a Corporate Rate Agreement with us. That being said, we do hope you visit us again soon and when you do, we’d be pleased to offer this service to you free of charge.
Washington D.C.
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I travel internationally often for business, and have stayed at a wide range of hotels over the years. I can say with no qualifications that my 5-day stay at the Hyatt Capital Gate was the best experience I have ever had in terms of service and comfort.

From the moment I arrived in the lobby from the airport, I was greeted warmly, often by name, and treated like a truly valued guest. A handwritten note from Sales Manager Andreea greeted me in my exquisite room, encouraging me to reach out to hotel staff if I needed any assistance during my stay.

I took her up on this offer, soliciting the expertise of concierges Ankush and Yulia about local sights and desert excursion opportunities. Their assistance in booking ground transportation and their excellent suggestions about local attractions were invaluable to me accomplishing many of my goals on this trip. I want to particularly recognize Manager Sabine H., who went above and beyond to ensure that I made it to my morning meeting after the scheduled driver failed to show up.

I ate one dinner and three breakfasts at the hotel's phenomenal (but pricey) restaurant, 18 Degrees, so named for its location on the 18th floor of a building that leans a record-breaking 18 degrees. The service at the restaurant (shout out to Vera!) rivaled its top-notch cuisine. The breakfast buffet was my favorite, with a bountiful selection of fresh baked goods from the in-house bakery, as well as fruits, meats and cheeses. Resident chefs were on hand to whip up fresh dishes as well. I wasn't as crazy about the nearly deserted hotel bar, Prive, simply because it was so dead every night. However, the bartender, Grace, was an awesome guy, who had a number of interesting stories that made my visit to the otherwise unspectacular bar worthwhile.

As I mentioned before, my room was immaculately clean and comfortable, which makes sense considering that the hotel is brand new. What surpassed my expectations was the attention to detail of the people who service my room each day. They ensured that any even the smallest items I used (tissues, water, a nail file, coffee creamer) was restocked every day. When they noticed that I was drinking all four of the complimentary bottles of water each day, they left double the number of bottles the next day. This type of service is what you expect at a top tier hotel, and Hyatt Capital Gate delivers.

My one qualm with the hotel is its location, which might be convenient for people working in the embassy district, but is quite far from Abu Dhabi's bustling downtown and Corniche where most tourists hang out. The ever present construction around the property also made for some interesting cab rides, where my drivers and I often had to stop and ask directions to the giant towering structure since roads around the hotel that were open one day were often closed or rerouted the next.

Location quibbles aside, I was extremely pleased with my recent stay here, and would gladly stay here again. I highly recommend this hotel, and am thankful I had a chance to stay here before everyone finds out how amazing it is and drives the rates up!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the city skyline (West) since the other side looks out over a giant constructi...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business