“Excellent Chinese food”

Rouge
Ranked #97 of 2,123 Restaurants in Abu Dhabi
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: A stylish restaurant, experience the best in Pan Asian cooking at Rouge, serving delicious signature dishes. Location : First Floor, Hilton Capital Grand Abu Dhabi Opening Hours : Tuesday to Sunday Dinner: 07:00 p.M. To 11:30 p.M.
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Hotel is now owned by Hilton. The food is excellent, and I mean excellent, and the portions are big. I dare say the food is better than Shang Palace.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

I went here without a lot of expectations just the other day and I was highly impressed.

I hadn't heard of the place before but I was getting some car work done near the Rocco Forte hotel (not Hilton hotel apparently) and decided to give it a try.

First off we arrived before the restaurant opened at 7pm, and the matre d was so nice that she opened the place 5-10 minutes early just for us. Being impatient I definitely appreciated this.

We ordered some dim sum which was good, but didn't blow me away.

For our main we ordered bulgogi and then the wasabi tenderloin. Both were absolutely unbelievable. They were so good.

I must say the bulgogi was totally not authentic like I've had at some other places in Abu Dhabi. It's more crispy and thick meat kind of like a Mongolian beef. however I love Mongolian beef so this wasn't a big disappointment. The flavor was very thick, but leaves you wanting more rather than overpowering you.

Hard to believe but the wasabi tenderloin was even better. it had a thick spicy/peppery black sauce that was rich and delicious. Unlike any other sauce I've had before. The meat was cooked to a perfect medium rare (strange they didn't ask me how I wanted the steak cooked). I was quickly full, but ate the whole thing simply because it was too good for me not to eat.

For our entire meal the service was very attentive as well.

the only potential gripe is that this is a very expensive restaurant, even by Abu Dhabi standards. So only go there with caution. That said, I've been to a number of restaurants in this city that charge just as much as Rouge and are not nearly as good.

This place is worth the price.

2  Thank Wrstling1
Reviewed 20 December 2012

We tried out the Rouge restaurant at the Rocco Forte for three principal reason - 1, we always like to try something different, 2, it is quite near where we live, and 3, it had come recommended by some friends.

We turned up on a Thursday night without having made a reservation. The first thing is that the Rocco Forte Hotel is located is a rather strange location, well away from the main part of town. The hotel itself is a nice piece of modern architecture, with a sculptured glass front with the now almost obligatory coloured LED lights adorning the outside. Finding the restaurant is strange too. You are directed to some lifts on one side of the hotel, then as you come out you walk away from the lifts trying to find where it is. There must be some signs, but we didn't see them. It turns out that the rather understated doorway is right by the lifts.

The restaurant occupies the entire eastern end of the first floor, with the centre being part of the atrium that looks down on another restaurant below. The roof is a load of floors up, so the general impression is one of space, and as the walls are glass you have a good view of the outside, not that there is anything worth looking at!

The tables are ranged around the outside, and a lot of the table have little hoods that proved lighting furnished by red LED's; not to everyone's taste perhaps. One other minor gripe was that the air conditioning vents blew quite a strong current of air, which after a while became uncomfortable.

Despite being a Thursday, there were maybe three or four other occupied tables, only a small proportion of the total number; we put this down to its location not being a good selling point.

The service was a little slow, as there were not many staff for what is quite a big restaurant. However, they were courteous. A small Japanese style complimentary dish was given to us while we perused the menu.

We went there for the Japanese food, and we ordered a selection. It arrived in a timely manner, and we were very impressed by the presentation. We have tried sushi and sashimi in a number or restaurants around the world by this was the best presentation by far. For example, the salmon and tuna sashimi arrived prepared in the form of a rose, with the different coloured slices of sushi forming the petals. However we are pleased to report that the sashimi itself matched the quality of the presentation; the slices were razor thin, and the quality of the fish used was excellent, in terms of both taste and texture.

The rest of of the dishes ordered were equally good, and we also went for a Chinese dish in the form of the Beijing Duck. That too was excellent.

My wife commented to the staff on the quality of the presentation, and very soon after the Chef, Shella, came out to ask us how everything was. She was very attentive, and keen that we gave her our opinions of her preparation and quality of the food. She also invited us to taste a dish that she developed and wanted to put on the menu. The dish was salmon rolls dressed with crab meat, and like all the other dishes was great. Hopefully she will indeed include it.

To sum up, for us this is an excellent Japanese restaurant that we would heartily recommend. It is out of the way, but we believe it merits the effort to get to for the quality of the food. The only shame is that many will probably deem it too far away from the centre of Abu Dhabi to try it. If they do, they won't regret it.

Reviewed 6 September 2012

I've been there for the first time, the staff are very welcoming, all the attention is with you, the described the menu & dishes clearly.
Food is amazing & delicious, you will enjoy every bite, all spices are really balanced that you will feel the taste of every dish. Desserts are just WOW, we cannot get enough of it !
Atmosphere is very calm, great for couples on special occasion, I am not sure if it is suitable for families with children.
For sure I will go there in shaa Allah many times in future,

2  Thank Marwa_Abdullah
Reviewed 15 July 2012

The restaurant needs to be known, the service, the ambiance, the food were just phenomenal. This restaurant anywhere in the world would be ranked top 3. Rocco Forte has a gem that hopefully will be advertised so the locals (expat included), the visitors will know. The hostess was very gracious, she was knowledgeable of the menu. The welcome drink was interesting and brought knowledge to my culinary world. The dim sum are just exquisite, my duck was done perfectly as well as the prawns and cashew. Keep up I shall come back again!

1  Thank thew0rldwidetraveler