“Disappointing”

Ranked #8 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Today was my first night in this hotel. The check in experience was pleasant and fast even though I hadn't booked in advance. However I thought the room was a little too small. I started having problem with the shower in the morning... Although the water pressure was great and strong it was burning hot!! I called them and they say they would send someone to fix it. To my surprise a member of staff came ( not an engineer) to just see it and tell me that they would send someone. I wasted 45 minutes waitiing for the engineer to come and fix it. Later on I wanted to iron my shirt and was surprised that there was no iron in the room.Again I called and they informed me there was no iron available, but that I could have it pressed complimentary as part of the room. However when they came they told me I had to wait att least half an hour...

Anyway overall I was not very impressed and I will continue going to Capital Gate Hyaat where I have never experienced any problem.

• Stayed April 2014
St Regis M, General Manager at The St. Regis Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Dear mazajyaad

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

I am disappointed to hear that your stay with us was not enjoyable and did not meet your expectations.

I would like to apologize for the challenges you faced and I hope we will have an opportunity to make it up to you in the future.

Please do not hesitate to contact my office directly if we can assist you.

Oliver Key

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I wish I could have stayed longer than one night. The staff was very friendly and service minded and made me feel warmly welcome and well taken care of from arrival to departure. I was upgraded to a room with sea view and really enjoyed both the room and the nice VIP treatment that I received.

One of the main reasons why I selected this hotel was because of its newly opened beach club,. which I must say was very nice. There are sunbeds both on the beach and by the pool and this is in addition to the already existing pool on level three.

I would not hesitate to book the St. Regis again if I go back to Abu Dhabi. The only thing that would need some improvement is the speed of the Internet.

Room Tip: A sea view room
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
St Regis M, General Manager at The St. Regis Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Dear Globetrotter7508

Thank you for the kind words and for sharing them with us and for other travelers. I am very pleased to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Related to the internet speed, we are currently working to improve the quality and I apologize if this spoiled your overall experience.

We look forward to welcome you next time you are in Abu Dhabi!

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Second visit to this beautiful hotel, loved every minute of the stay. I checked out the Remede Spa this time and could not be happier with the experience, special thanks to Lalu and Rajesh for taking care of me.

The only thing I didn't get to try was the pool due to renovation works, so I'll still have to visit again to try that out.

Villa Toscana for an after-spa dinner with good wine was the perfect way to end the day and the following day breakfast at Rhodes 44 proved a well-served and delicious treat before an important meeting.

Many thanks to all the staff for the great service once again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
St Regis M, Manager at The St. Regis Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear HeckitourGM,

Thank you for posting your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to know that the team delivered your service expectations once again and that we are becoming a favorite whenever you visit the city. I shared your comments with the team and they were all very pleased to hear you had a great stay. I'm sorry that you were not able to experience the pool this time due to the maintenance work scheduled but this had to be carried out in order to keep the quality and safety standards of the pool area. However this has been rectified now and our Nation Riviera Beach Club has debuted recently. We hope you visit us again soon to also experience our leisure facilities.

Moustafa Sakr
Deputy General Manager
Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stayed for 6 nights as a holiday in March, on a half board package. The hotel is brand new, at the time of our stay only open six months.
Good
* Staff - the friendliest most helpful staff you could imagine, extremely so. Great people all;
* Furnishings, decor. As you'd expect maybe as it's a new hotel but really top class, lots and lots of very comfortable seating scattered throughout the hotel;
* Room. Large and in keeping with the rest of the hotel, very comfortable;
* Two gyms, both well kitted out with friendly staff, excellent changing facilities, steam room, sauna, jacuzzi etc.;
* Location : right at the start of the Corniche, alongside the Hilton and near the Emirates Palace;
* Breakfast. Very comprehensive, excellent.
Bad
* The slowest lifts I've experienced. Almost 60 seconds from floor 42 to ground - and that was without stops at any of the intermediate floors;
* Half Board. This was the worst part. We were put on a special, shortened menu that did not change for the full time of our stay. Even with the use of two restaurants we very quickly had to start repeating our meal choices, and the quality on this shortened version was not great, particularly the Italian;

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank knowledgeseeker
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

We got an amazing deal on booking.com, four nights for 2850 AED. First let me say good or bad we thought for a five star hotel we had to go for the price, also the photos looked pretty good! We had not realised that it was very new and in one of my favourite areas.

On arrival we were greeted with a kind welcome and check in was very informal and professional. I like to sit down whilst checking in. I don't much like heights and had not even checked that the hotel was from the ground floor to the third floor then 33-50, we were on the 41st floor. Fifty seconds to get to our floor and we were greeted by our butler, who helped us to our room and offered to show us around. The butler is on call 24/7 what an amazing start, great hotel great room and an amazing view.

They have built a new beach complex, so we got the lift down to the third floor, walked across a swimming pool area, through a grey an marked door to another lift from the third floor to B2, waked through a tunnel Which runs under the main road and was probably the best looking tunnel you will ever go through! Met by security, gave our room number and was aloud to go on, up another lift to ground floor. Met with another security guard, which told us the was to the beach reception. We counted from start to finish at least twenty hello sir and hello ma'am ... Sorry to go on but it was a long and exiting trip to the beach... BUT wow what a great, elegant, sophisticated, well designed up market pool and beach area. 11/10 superb in every way and worth the elevator trips and the beautiful tunnel walk and no signs at all telling you how to get to the beach!! The beach complex is not yet finished but when it is, it will be the best in Abu Dhabi and we should know us we have stayed in many hotels here. No atmosphere really yet in the hotel, which was a little sad. We went to the Italian restaurant and asked for a table, asked if we had reservation we said no to which the lady walked off, instinct told us to follow her but slow just in case she was not taking us to a table. Half way through the restaurant she turned round, we stopped, I looked and said "are we meant to follow you" YES !! Don't think she was happy with us, maybe for not booking... Not a good start!! But a nice manager called David came over and was super polite and we had a very nice meal. I never write so much but I am still confused, I guess I was expecting a rubbish hotel, but instead got a refined, elegant and worth every penny and more hotel with an amazing beach and pool area. Go for it give it a go, you want regret it and the staff, specially on the beach are super nice and accommodating. 10/10 well done ST Regis Abu Dhabi. P.s wifi is free BUT NEVER WORKS!

Stayed April 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Stayed at the St Regis from 22nd to 29th March and timed it just perfectly as the Beach Club had just opened the day before. I have stayed in some very nice hotels but this was just something else. If you get the chance to stay here take it as the hotel is simply stunning and I have never met such friendly staff. We were in room 3702 and had fantastic views. A special thank you to the Rhodes 44 staff who made our final night exceptionally special by spoiling us rotten I only wish I had got their names so I could say a personal thank you to them.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
St Regis M, General Manager at The St. Regis Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Caroline A,

I am very proud of my team for leaving you with such an amazing impression and indeed they are the only ones who can make this hotel a truly great one.

Thanks again for your comments and we are looking forward to seeing you again at The St Regis Abu Dhabi.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

The St. Regis as a property is always to be expected to be a stunning property. The St. Regis Abu Dhabi did not fail in this aspect, as the lobby, rooms, view, beach, and more were just gorgeous. However, the property is still new so there were definitely a few points of improvement when it came to service.

Pros:
1. Beautiful room & bathroom
2. Lovely beach front, even though the water itself was pretty dirty and not appealing
3. Lovely ballroom in which we attended a great wedding
4. Pleasant staff
5. Fantastic gym & pool facilities

Cons:
1. I left a package for another guest at the reception to be delivered to her room and was assured that it would be. 2 days later, the package has disappeared and the staff are asking my friend why she "never asked for it". Needless to say, it's not really expected that a 5 star property would lose a guest's package!
2. Breakfast was limited in choice and absolutely manic. It took 45 minutes to have our eggs cooked (as it did for everyone in the restaurant) as the staff could not keep up with the influx of orders. In the end, we mostly received wrong orders but were so hungry we ate them anyway.
3. TVs did not work for the two days we were there

Overall, I think I would revisit this hotel in a year's time after the kinks have been worked out as it definitely has a lot of promise.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
St Regis M, General Manager at The St. Regis Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear MMI86,

Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor and I am satisfied to know that you liked the hotel design and quality of the rooms. I also appreciate your honest feedback on the service hiccups you've experienced, you've made very fair comments and I do apologize for not having met your expectations this time. I've taken up all of the points that you made with the team so that we can learn from them and further work on improvements. Thank you for recognizing these as teething issues and I hope this will not deter you from visiting us when you are next in Abu Dhabi.