“Almost perfect.”

Ranked #7 of 127 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Munich, Germany
“Almost perfect.”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed at the St Regis from 25 Jun to 2 July. We had booked via l’tur. On arrival at 3 am we found out the booking agent had made an error and had booked our room for August, so the hotel wasn’t expecting us. The person at the checkin solved the issue within a few minutes and gave us an upgrade to half board, and by 4am we were in our room and ready to sleep.

Our room on the 39th floor was comfortably large but not excessively so. The bed was very wide and comfortable. In addition there was a sofa, a small table, a work table, minibar and a large screen TV/info system. The reception of the TV was digital but had a tendency to break up. We also had noise from traffic and at 2am on a couple of nights the noise of drilling!

The large bathroom contained 2 basins, a full bath, a separate shower and toilet room. Set out between the basins were the usual selection of soaps, creams etc, and in the drawer a number of other items of use, such as a sewing kit, comb etc. There was also a remote control for switching of the in mirror TV screen. The remote was quite large and I suspect it could do more than just turn on and off the screen, but I couldn't figure it out. The screens volume control was on the wall.

The hallway consisted of a mirrored makeup table, and two sets of wardrobes. One of the wardrobes housed the safe and a hair drier in a bag. The other had extra pillows and storage space for the day pillows.

One of the notable things about the St Regis is the butler service. 24hrs per day there is a butler team at your beck and call. In room tea and coffee is available free of charge, and in our case they brought us chocolate and fruit on alternate days. My wife likes fruit teas, but unfortunately fruit tea was not available, only two herbal teas. Free water in 0.5 ltr bottles was also brought to the room every day, which in the heat of Abu Dhabi is very welcome.

Halfway through our stay Ramadan started. No-one really knew exactly when it would start and in the end it was a day later that we originally expected. when we booked we hadn't realised Ramadan was due, and its important to understand the restrictions that are in place at this time. No food and drink from sunrise to sunset, no music, no entertainment "of any kind". This means that that for example, in the malls there is no piped music, cafes are closed and there are few cultural items during the day. In the hotel, food and drinks are still available via room service, but not outside or near the pool. The restaurant service is also restricted. one restaurant was still open, but “hidden” from public view, breakfast was only indoors etc. These restrictions do negatively impact the holiday, but were not a show stopper, and in no way reflects on the hotel.

During our stay we were able to use two of the restaurants, the Rhodes 44 and the Villa Toscana. As we were on half board, the menu was restricted and we were not offered the standard menu at any point. In the Villa Toscana, there wasn’t much that was to my taste. On one occasion I heard another guest order a steak, and I requested the same. I had to pay a surcharge which was ok, but I would have liked to have been informed that there was another menu that I could order from with a surcharge. When I looked at the menu published online from after our return home, I found several items I would have taken. The same is true at Rhodes 44, but at least there the steaks were on the menu and marked as a surcharge applied. This is one of the few areas that I think could be improved. The Azura and the Cabana Bar & Grill were closed during our visit. The Crystal Lounge was open in the evenings and we had a cocktail there on evening. We avoided the St Regis bar as it was a football zone, and we hate football. The Tea Lounge is a part of the lobby. Outside of Ramadan Arabic coffee and dates are offered whilst our waiting, there is of course also a drinks card.

Wellness is covered with a spa which we didn't use. There is also the Sisters Beauty Lounge which we didn't see. There is a pool at the 3rd floor but as there was now shade to speak of we didn’t use it.

We did use the pool at the beach which is pleasant but also a bit dangerous. After entering the pool in the shallow water on the beach side, there is a sudden drop of about 3 or 4 feet. If like me your sight relies on your glasses, there is no way you can see the drop. There really needs to be underwater lights or something to show the danger. Also by the pool bar, there are 2 underwater steps that are easy to miss. I stubbed my toe twice. Not pleasant.

We decided one afternoon to try the private dinning and ordered 2 indian dishes for our room. After 30 minutes or so, the meals arrived and we were served in our room. One glass of wine was bad, but was replaced immediately with 2 other glasses. Service pure.

During a conversation with a staff member we asked what was in the bridge between the hotel and the adjacent tower. It turned out to be the Abu Dhabi Suite, the most expensive room in Abu Dhabi. We were invited to take a look, which we happily accepted. I can only say I was gobsmacked! The suite isn’t easy to find on the hotels website, but searching it can be found. The suite is on the 48/49th floors and has some 2,200 sq. meters at a cost of circa 100,000 AED per night. We didn’t get a room upgrade ;)

The staff are generally very welcoming and attentive. As an example, The concierge Eva sent a stuffed toy frog to our room as during conversation she found out my wife’s nickname is Froggie and she likes frogs.

All in all I would give the hotel an “Excellent" rating. There are a few points that could do with improving.

Room Tip: Some rooms look over the cornice and have a nicer sea view. the others look more over the city.
3 Thank Victor W
St Regis M, General Manager at The St. Regis Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear Victor W,

I would like to thank you for such an extensive review of our hotel and your stay. I would like to thank you for your constructive and generous comments regarding the hotel’s products and service. I have shared your feedback with our team and we are working on some of the deficiencies so that we can constantly improve our service offering. I am delighted to hear that the team were welcoming and attentive to your needs during the majority of your stay and that you would rate us as “Excellent” overall.

In reference to your comments regarding the atmosphere and offerings in the hotel during the Ramadan period, as you mentioned, during the entire month of Holy Ramadan all of the UAE’s hotels embrace the local culture and respect the fasting of the Muslim inhabitants of Abu Dhabi.

I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you and your wife back to the hotel at some stage in the future.

Oliver Key

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Dubai
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed in a suite for a night at the St.Regis and were pleasantly surprised by the whole experience. With the Saadiyat Island Resort attracting more attention in the press and from friends we were not sure what to expect and were pleasantly surprised by the whole experience. The lobby is grand and elegant, and perfectly sets the tone for a Hotel whose décor is refreshingly ornate and old fashioned. I normally much prefer minimalist hotels with clean lines and less opulence, but this had a charm that belied its more modernist exterior. Check-in was a dream, and we were soon shown to our suite. The room was excellent, more modern than the rest of the hotel itself, and with excellent tech (Electronic curtains, easy-to-use lights, a great entertainment system that allowed for external hard drives). The view from the bathtub over the water made for a perfect sunset spot, and the TV built into the mirror in the bathroom was also a nice touch.
Whilst we were there we also enjoyed brunch at Gary Rhodes restaurant. Having lived in the UAE for 7 years these things can be very average, staid, and similar, but we found the food excellent throughout, and the service was once again impeccable.
We have yet to stay in St.Regis noisier sister hotel resort on Saadiyat, but I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone coming through the capital, either on business or for pleasure.

1 Thank B3nnyDubai
St Regis M, General Manager at The St. Regis Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear B3nnyDubai,

Thank you for your great feedback. I am delighted to hear that your stay with us was a memorable one and that you would recommend it to others.

I wish you a wonderful stay in our sister property and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Sincerely

Reviewed 22 June 2014

My wife and i stayed one night as a staycation, to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The hotel recognized us with strawberries, cake, and sparkling wine! It was very nice (it may also have had to do with the fact that we are SPG members).

We arrived at 3:00 pm and our room was not ready (check in time is 3 pm). They made it right by esorting us to the spa where we changed into swim suits and went to the private beach. After the beach, we went back to the spa for a sauna.

That evening was dinner at Rhodes 44 in the hotel.

The room was very nice and the bed very comfortable (though the pillows are a little too big for comfort).

Room Tip: Ask for a Corniche view and/or a Arabian Gulf view.
Reviewed 22 June 2014

If our room had been ready when we checked in, at the 3pm checkin time, we would have been happier. But after enjoying the pool, we checked into our suite, overlooking the Corniche and the Arabian Gulf and the frustration melted. We appreciated and enjoyed the guest wi-fi, the big thirsty towels, huge bath tub, the waters and the comfortable furniture.

Two observations worth noting: the pillows are enormous and uncomfortable for sleeping but lovely for bed making; the toilet paper is not nearly as luxurious as the rest of the hotel accoutrements.

Dinner at Rhoades 44 was delicious and I appreciated the Gluten-Free bread (upon request) and the food allergy labels on each menu item. Kudos!

The breakfast buffet was pretty and abundant. I ordered an omelet and it never came to my table! I went to ask about the missing food and it was sitting on the counter...

The staff were wonderful: Andrea, Guest Relations, is outstanding! The waiter Milos at the Rhoades 44 was wonderful too.

Overall, it was a wonderful 24 hours and I look forward to returning.

1 Thank NDeniseS
St Regis M, General Manager at The St. Regis Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear NDeniseS

Thank you for finding the time to share your feedback with us. I have taken note of your observations and have shared them with our team, I am also happy to hear that your stay was a pleasant one and that the team have created such a memorable experience for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

amsterdam
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My husband and I stayed in the St. Regis Abu Dhabi for one week in April and were very much impressed by the luxury of the property itself. The modern exterior does not prepare you in any way for the opulence and old-world grandeur of the lobby, the Crystal Lounge and the other public areas. What a fantastic surprise!! It was worth leaving the hotel just so we could return and be impressed once again by how beautiful it is inside.

Our room was extremely comfortable. It was very well furnished and spotlessly clean. As was the superb bathroom.

We especially enjoyed the newly opened Nation Riviera Beach Club, with its immaculate sandy beach and laid-back beach restaurant which served a wide variety of mouthwatering dishes. Just perfect for a relaxing beach/poolside lunch or drink.

We ate in Villa Toscana three times during our one-week stay. The handmade lobster ravioli was as delicious as promised. Next time round I intend to spend at least one morning at the Italian Cooking School. I may not get to master the ravioli but, who knows, I might learn a trick or two to impress my friends when they come to dinner.

What can I say about the Butler Service? Not being familiar with this service we did not make use of it the first few days. But when we finally tried it, it was simply great.

Just one negative comment: apart from scrumptious breakfasts (delicious Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon) the food at Rhodes 44 was disappointing - so much more so because the other food outlets were very very good.

Last, but oh so important, the staff were charming, friendly, out-of-the-box helpful and very professional. They went out of their way to ensure that we had a memorable stay. We plan on returning in November to celebrate my 60th birhtday. I am already looking forward to another fantastic holiday in this fabulous hotel.

Thank you all at the St. Regis Abu Dhabi for making our stay with you one to remember..

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank at_home_in_bali
St Regis M, General Manager at The St. Regis Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear at_home_in_bali,

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to share it on Tripadvisor. Your kind words about the hotel and especially our team are highly appreciated. I was delighted to see that they managed to meet and exceed your expectations, making this an unforgettable stay for you and your husband.

We are look forward to welcome you in November, and my team and I would love to take care of your birthday celebration.

Sincerely yours,

Hampshire
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I'm at a loss to understand why Gary Rhodes would want to associate himself with this restaurant. The menu is very uninspiring, the food presentation is terrible - a piece of chicken or salmon on a plate on its own, vegetables on a separate dish, potato on yet another. But worst of all the food quality was terrible. Our food turned up barely warm, had not been seasoned and the jacket potato had been microwaved. I'm not exaggerating when I say I've had better food in a motorway service station.

1 Thank Petronius4
Dear Petronius4,

I am very disappointed to read your review on Rhodes 44.

We have received so many positive comments on the restaurant since we opened the hotel and therefore I am truly sorry that your experience was this bad.

I have passed your comments on to Mr Rhodes and I know that he will be equally disappointed.

I do hope that you will return to give us a chance to make up for this experience, please do not hesitate to contact me personally if you are planning a return visit to Abu Dhabi.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

My boyfriend and I live in the middle east and came to St. Regis for weekend away. We checked into a grand deluxe room on the 38th floor. The room had floor to ceiling windows and stunning views overlooking the Abu Dhabi skyline and ocean. The room itself was immaculate and gives you a feeling of real luxury and the butler service is a real highlight. We had dinner at Villa Tuscana, a cosy Italian restaurant with food to die for. The lobster ravioli comes highly recommended and definitely did not disappoint. we have also been previously and enjoyed the Gary Rhodes restaurant very much. We spent the next day lounging at the pool and beach and ate at the pool side restaurant- again with a great pool-side menu. I had a custom 60 minute massage with oils and enjoyed some tea in the spa's relaxation room afterwards. I forgot my swimsuit so didn't enjoy the jacuzzi or steam room but both looked very enjoyable! The whole experience was very relaxing and the staff was attentive and friendly. We ordered room service for dinner (food was from Villa Tuscana again) and the food arrived on a set table for a full in-room dining experience. breakfast is also fantastic and i would recommend eggs benedict!

Overall the staff in the hotel were great, nothing is too much to ask and every need has been anticipated, the experience made for an unforgettable weekend. I would highly recommend the hotel for any type of visit. We will definitely be coming back again.

1 Thank Lexy G
Dear Lexy G,

Thank you for your detailed feedback. It is a great pleasure to hear that you enjoyed Villa Toscana, Rhodes 44, Nation Riviera and the Spa. I am also very happy to read that you would recommend our hotel to others and that you are planning on returning.

We look forward to welcoming you both back to our hotel!