“A very nice hotel with friendly staff and great service”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Abu Dhabi
Ranked #18 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Southampton, United Kingdom
“A very nice hotel with friendly staff and great service”
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I stopped at this hotel for a 3 week period on business after having it recommended to me by a colleague, given its proximity to a large number of local shops/restaurants and good service. I can safely say that after my 3 week stay I would gladly go back (and hope to next month!). There were a few bad points to the hotel (hence only having a 4* rating) which I will cover below, but on the whole this is one of the best hotels I have stayed in.

It's location is good (its not in the best area of Abu Dhabi, however it is a nice area). It has close proximity to a number of shopping outlets/food establishments (the shawarma just round the corner is brilliant!), and also has a very cheap market across the road (very useful if you are stopping for a long time). There are always taxi's waiting outside to take you further out if you want to explore (tip: don't try walking to the marina mall, I did, and realised its a good 2 hour walk away in the blistering heat!)

For a nice view of the surrounding area you can go to the top floor where they have a small outdoor pool and a bar. In the day its too hot to go up there (they typically have it closed until 5.30pm each day), however at night its worth going up for a drink just to get a nice view/picture of the city scape. They also have shisha up on the roof which can make for a relaxing evening.

Good points
- Staff are really friendly (they knew my name after the first few days, always greeted me by name)
- Breakfast has a very good selection for the price and also has fresh cooked steak/fish/omelette
- Hotel listens to feedback (I made 5 suggestions mid-way through my stay, 3 were actioned a few days later)
- After having an issue mid-stay, the manager met me straight away and got everything sorted (above and beyond what most managers would do, I know this first-hand)
- Very clean (actually came back to find my room being dusted!)
- The air-conditioning in the room is extremely powerful! (I love the cold, but on max it was actually too cold for me!)
- Staff speak very good english (even the cleaners, who always asked me how I was each day)
- Close to a good variety of food outlets (both your typical fast-food and decent restaurants)

Bad points

- Downstairs bar always has too many people in (very squashed, especially when live music is on)
- Internet is slow (1Mb/sec when it isn't busy, even less when it is. Seems to be IHG's policy in some hotels now)
- Drinks are very expensive (even for a hotel)
- The gym doesn't normally have the AC on (not once in 3 weeks), so it gets incredibly warm when people are exercising

Overall I really liked this hotel and I would recommend it and would definitely stay again. If you aren't interested in going to the in-house bar or using the internet then this hotel is 5* and you should stay. If you do need access to the internet though you will find it close to unusable at busy times which in this day and age is a disappointment, and prevents you in most cases working from the hotel.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the first few floors as you can sometimes hear the bassline from the bar on the lower g...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank LifeInAHotel
Crowne Plaza A, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 5 August 2012
Dear “LifeInAHotel”,
We would like to thank you for taking time to write a very detailed review of your stay at Crowne Plaza Abu Dhabi here on Tripadvisor.
We are happy to hear that our staff gave you an overall excellent service during your stay. Thank you for all the points you have noted about your stay – good and bad.
All your feedback will not go unnoticed and will be shared with the management and colleagues.
Thank you for recommending our hotel to other travelers visiting Abu Dhabi and we do look forward to the opportunity of once again welcoming you back to our hotel.

General Manager, Crowne Plaza Abu Dhabi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
MUMBAI
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I stayed there for 4 nights on my business trip and enjoyed the stay thoroughly. The Disco was amazing with live band playing.
Breakfast was with a lot of variety and the satff too was very welcoming...

Recommend this place totally.. Enjoy travelling!!!

Room Tip: Rooms are either with Hamdan street view or the interior road view. Recommend higher floor Hamdan vi...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Crowne Plaza A, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Dear “TAKARWANKAR”
We would like to thank you for this short & wonderful review of your stay at Crowne Plaza Abu Dhabi and thank you for taking time to post it here on Tripadvisor.
We are thrilled to know that you were able to enjoy our facilities and services and that you found our staff welcoming.
Thank you for recommending us and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Kochi (Cochin), India
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Located in major area Hamadan street , very near to abudhabhi mall, marina mall and nice abudhabhi corinche.
room are good , bathroom also good . Breakfast was good with lot of choices . staff is very nice and helpful , But little expensive (may be abudhabhi expensive than dubai now)

Room Tip: getting parking is difficult in abudhabhi
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Dear “rathish00”,
We would like to thank you for your short but sweet review of your stay at Crowne Plaza Abu Dhabi.
We are glad that our team managed to make your stay a great one.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.
North Berwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I stay here most Wednesday and Thursday nights throughout the year. The hotel offers all the services expected of a 5 star hotel, but what sets it apart from the rest is the wonderful attitude of the staff. Check-in is swift and seamless. The restaurant staff are attentive, professional and have a great sense of humour. The level Lounge, Vincents & Heroes are all excellent in their own way. The gym & pool are more than adequate. Cho Gao & Spaccanapoli offer superb food with a lively, yet sophisticated atmosphere. I would not choose to stay anywhere else in Abu Dhabi.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Dear “HCEG1”,
We would like to thank you for taking time to write this wonderful review of your stay at Crowne Plaza Abu Dhabi and thank you for always choosing us.
Guests’ recognition is like music to our ears. We are so glad to note what you love about our hotel. Thank you for your comments in particular the “wonderful attitude of the staff”, “swift & seamless check in experience” and we are happy that you also enjoyed our wide variety of dining options and our gym and pool too.
Guests’ complete satisfaction is our main goal and we’re delighted to know that it has been achieved on all your stays with us.
We look forward to welcoming you again at Crowne Plaza Abu Dhabi.

Surrey, England
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights at the beginning of June.
By Abu Dhabi standards it's one of the older hotels and is starting to show it.

The hotel has a central antrium, with the main buffet restaurant on the 9th floor, with room then around the open core.

I was on the 11th floor and from 5am until midnight all I could hear was the sound of clinking plates & screaming children. I'm not a light sleeper but the noise was just enough to ensure a very disturbed nights sleep. In the end I resorted to ear-plugs to cut the noise out.

First time I've stayed in a hotel and been kept awake by the noise inside, not outside!

The buffet restaurant is OK, but for the fact that for 2 nights running they do a seafood buffet, and do not offer an A la carte option - not much good if you don't eat fish! (Yes I could eat else where, but my package was full board)

When I'm next in Abu Dhabi, I really hope I don't get put up in this hotel - I like to sleep (and eat).

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Bostin1967
Dear “Bostin1967”,
Thank you for taking time to post a review of your stay here on Tripadvisor.
We are truly sorry to hear about your experience during your stay and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention.
We welcome any constructive feedback as this enables us to address any flaws as we strive to continually enhance the service and experience we deliver.
Your feedback will not go unnoticed and will be shared with the management and staff.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I hope that we will have the chance to provide you with a true Crowne Plaza experience in the near future.

Hamburg, Deutschland
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Was staying here for the third time. Everytime I have had a room facing the mosque in the back of the hotel. This time, my room was located in the 18th floor and we had a great view over Abu Dhabi.
The staff is doing great, everyone is helpful and friendly.
The location is convenient and you can reach everything within fair times. When it is not too hot, you can even have a nice walk from about 45 minutes to thepublich Corniche beaches.
I love the Heroes bar, epecially on the Fridays it is a great party!!!
The pool on the roof top is lovely as the level lounge in the evening is.

Behind the builing at the Al Farha butchery you can get very nice manaqiches if you dont want to enjoy the whole breakfast buffet.

We tried the Seafood buffet on a Tuesday evening, and it was awesome.
Great food and very nice choices.

Thank you for making our stay so really relaxing, definitely we will be back.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Melli060179
Dear “Melli060179”,
We would like to thank you for your continued patronage at Crowne Plaza Abu Dhabi and thank you for taking time to write a feedback of your stay here on Tripadvisor.
We are happy to know that you had a great time during your stay and thank you for your feedback in particular the “helpful, friendly and great staff” and “convenient location”. We are glad that you were able to try Heroes, Level Lounge and The Garden and looking forward for you to try our award winning Cho Gao & Spaccanapoli.
Again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I tend to go here fairly often as it's convenient. Would go elsewhere if I had a choice nearby.
On the plus side they show a lot of football, on at least 10 screens around the poorly designed long bar room.
On the minus side, most of the staff, including the manager(s), frequently manage to look busy without noticing customers waiting to be served. Many of them have a superior look and attitude like they are doing you a favour by serving you. There is also a very poor aircon, which cools but doesn't remove the smoke which gets really thick, even if the place is not busy. And one area of the bar always smells of Raid (insect killer).

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Dear “Nicholas8885Bahrain”,
Thank you for taking time to write a review here on Tripadvisor.
The bar has had to adapt to the number of guests that have called Heroes home and frequent for the many sports shown, the comedy nights, live band and quiz.

Our service attitude is not one for ignoring our valued guests but to ensure that each guest leaves with a great experience. That they are served in a correct, professional and efficient manner.

We do however realise that some of our guests do not get the desired level of service and time spent with them. We have let you down on this occasion and for that we truly apologise. Our aim is not to have guests leave feeling disappointed.

Please be assured that we take these comments with every importance they deserve. Our team will be added too and by doing so we can ensure that we have more time to focus on guests and deliver great service.

We are very grateful for these comments regarding service, poor aircon and smoke extraction. Without this useful information and the importance of the guests view, we would not be able to rectify these matters and to further build on the offer we give.

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns.

Andy Cumpsty