Awful and confrontational management. 1. We arrived late on Christmas eve, check-in was slow. We booked through British Airways a room for 3 adults and paid for 3 adults bed and breakfast (requesting two double beds for mother and 2 adult daughters). We had also researched the hotel on the Intercontinental website. After a slow check in with rude reception staff, we were shown our room - a twin room with 2 single beds only set up and suitable for 2 persons. We returned to reception where our nightmare before Christmas began courtesy of the hotel management.
The hotel manager (deputy night manager) was not interested in addressing our concern that we had booked for 3 adults but were only provided with a room for 2.
Their only solution was to offer a camp bed, which was too small for fully grown adults and also the twin room was too small for the camp bed.
The management said that the hotel only
has a twin room with single beds or a double room with one double bed. So the only option for the third adult was to sleep on the make-shift camp bed, even though we had booked and paid for 3 adults.
This was not what we had booked and we couldn't bear one week on a camp bed that would only fit a small child. However, they would not offer us a refund as we had booked though a third party rather than the hotel directly.
We fought with the management for 2 hours (it was now 11pm on Christmas eve) and they were very reluctant to offer any solutions. We had to be very firm to try to resolve the issues with the room not meeting the terms that our booking was based on. Our hands were tied as we couldn't get a refund and go to the Hinton instead.
After a very frustrating long period arguing at reception, the duty manager (most senior at night) reluctantly made some phone calls and offered us a mini-suite. We were still stuck with a double bed plus one camp bed but at least the additional space in the suite compensated for the very uncomfortable nights' sleep on the camp bed.
2. The hotel website did not obviously state that the beach area was undergoing major refurb so the beach is split in two and has construction work noise all day. That said, the beach was nice and was still usable. It should have been made more obvious on the website or at reception. Pool area was full most days so beach is the only option.
3. Breakfast was good, but when busy the overflow breakfast restaurant did not match the variety of food on offer in main breakfast room.
4. General staff at hotel were very nice and friendly, we only had issues with the rude management.
5. In the suite room the lights did not always work (we had to get someone to fix this everyday) despite the master light button being turned on. More of an annoyance if anything.
6. We also spoke to other managers during our stay regarding small requests or changes, which were equally laborious and confrontational as our first night.
Other than battling with management, we enjoyed our stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- InterContinental Abu Dhabi is perfectly situated on the beach and less than 10 minutes from bustling downtown and the Abu Dhabi International Exhibition Centre. Heritage Village, the Cultural Foundation and Lulu Island are also close by. For a unique shopping experience, the Gold Souk (market) is a must while the Marina and Abu Dhabi Malls offer more contemporary alternatives. The hotel concierge can arrange a 4x4 desert safari for those looking for adventure. Our Bayshore Beach Club offers the beast recreiation facilities, 300 meters white sandy beach, an adult pool with a wish up bar, a children's splash pool with a slide and a shaded children's pool. The Bayshore Beach area also includes a beach bar and a restaurant offering delicoius snacks and drinks. Guests can also continue to enjoy our outdoor pool located on the 3rd floor of the main hotel building. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Travelbag, TravelUp, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Agoda, Southall Travel, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your InterContinental Abu Dhabi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Abu Dhabi Hotel Abu Dhabi
- Abu Dhabi Intercontinental