“A Classic Approach”

Ranked #18 of 128 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
London, United Kingdom
“A Classic Approach”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

It isn't the newest, shiniest, glitziest hotel on the radar, but it provides a classy, solid upmarket hotel experience. We were originally booked into the Club Level floor, but ended up moving down a few floors as there were only smoking rooms available when we checked in. Our room was large and comfortable...small bar/eating area, comfortable lounge area and a lovely bedroom. Very nicely decorated and overlooked the pool area. The service was excellent and discreet. Daily restocking of fruit, pastries and chocolates, which was a very nice touch and much appreciated. We had daily access to the spectacular Club lounge...breakfast was excellent and had everything you could imagine on offer. Afternoon cocktails and coffee were a highlight. The staff was wonderful. You are spoiled for choice when it comes to dining options...we ate at Chamas,the Brazilian restaurant and the Fish Market, which was EXCELLENT. Great location, excellent service, good food. It is an oasis of calm. I could live there happily.

Room Tip: Splurge for a club room. I can't tell you if it's good value or not since I didn't pay...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
InterContinentalAD, General Manager at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Dear APassportAffair
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us at InterContinental Abu Dhabi. It is always our aim to provide our guests with a memorable experience and them a taste of the local hospitality. I am glad you found our restaurant variety attractive.
I thank you once again and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Dieter Franke

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Northants
Reviewed 14 July 2013

This hotel is nothing to look at from the outside but step through the doors and you are in a different world. The decor is amazing, the staff really lovely and everything is pristine. The only downside is that when we booked in November last year it said that all the beach refurbishment would be finished in May, however in June it was nowhere near finished. Around the pool area , although looking a little tired it was very pleasant and as it is on the third floor there was a little breeze. Once the beach area is finished his hotel will be second to none. It is in a central location and very handy for the shopping malls and the Gand Mosque. Abu Dhabi is a lovely city and after spending ten days here we felt really relaxed.

Room Tip: Choose a high level room as views are much better.
Dear DeedeeNorthants
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us and found Abdu Dhabi to a lovely city.
As you mentioned our beach project was delayed and we hope to have it ready by mid to end of the Q3. The Bayshore area will turn into a recreational destination with two swimming pools, pool bar, 8 rentable cabanas, health club with treatment rooms, The Bayshore restaurant and of course the white sandy beach with a wonderful beach bar.
Once again I thank you for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Abu Dhabi.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Okay, it's not a chrome and plastic palace being one the cities more established hotels but it offers everything that you look for in an Intercontinental Hotel, starting with class. From the moment your limousine sweeps up the hotel's drive, the doors being quickly opened by the hotel's liveried staff you know you've made a good choice. Having honeymooned at the hotel nine months earlier I knew my way around the hotel complex but to be greeted by name before even checking in was amazing.
Located on the sea front just two minutes from the Marina Mall and a short drive from the city centre every thing the city has to offer is easy to access. And if it's your first visit may I recommend the "Big Bus City Tour". Jump on and off and decide where you wish to visit again.
So you want to remain in the hotel ? My visit this time was only for six days "chill out" (maybe not the ideal terminology in the Gulf) so most of my time was spent enjoying the hotel's numerous facilities and these seem to be expanding with a good choice of restaurants and bars.
Ah, the bedrooms ! Very comfortable with excellent housekeeping. You are not likely to meet many Khaleejis working at the hotel; I don't think any do but plenty frequent the restaurants, bars and leisure club. The majority of the hotel's staff seem to hail from the Indian subcontinent, Thailand and the Philippines and what a friendly team they all are.
I really look forward to returning the Abu Dhabi and the Intercontinental hotel but I might wait until the scorching heat of August passes first.

1 Thank markabittner9543
Dear markabittner9543
Thank you for taking the time to write your kind review and thank you for giving us the perfect score. I have shared your comments with the team and I have to let you know they were thrilled to hear your words when I was reading the comments in our meeting. Such comments motivates our team to give even more and to make sure our guests have a memorable stay.
I thank you once again and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Chertsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Am giving this hotel 3 stars only because I think it has slipped over the years. It has been operating for a long time and compared to newer similar category hotels in town it needs to revitalise itself.
The super Fish Market restaurant was sadly closed for renovation during my stay. The coffee shop restaurant where breakfast and buffet lunches are served is a depressing place with dark decor. The food choices were limited compared to other hotels.
Meanwhile, the rooms remain very comfortable and well maintained.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
InterContinentalAD, General Manager at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 7 July 2013
Dear Robert1129826
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor. I am glad you found our rooms to be comfortable during your stay. With regard to your comment regarding the Fishmarket being closed, I think there is a miscommunication somewhere. The Fishmarket has been open through out the year. The only time the Fishmarket will be closed is during the Holy month of Ramadan which will start next Wednesday 10th July 2013.
During your stay our Selections restaurant overlooking the marina on the 3rd floor was closed for renovation and is now open. We had to move breakfast to our Chamas restaurant for a period of 4 weeks while the renovation was taking place in Selections restaurant.
I do apologise for the inconvenience this has caused you and I hope you will give us another chance to welcome you again to offer you a comfortable and memorable experience. Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back soon to InterContinental Abu Dhabi.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Wow! What a great hotel and great people.

I am fortunate enough to be a platinum ambassador and from start to finish I was well and truly looked after.

The hotel reception and valet area are gorgeous and clean.

We ate in a Chamas and Boccacio and both were EXCELLENT. The Pool Bar food was typical pool stuff, burgers etc. but the cocktails were excellent.

Our room was immaculately clean and was of typical Intercontinental high standards. However, I would use the term extremely well maintained, rather than looking like new. You could tell they had been in use for awhile here and there.

Drinks and food were expensive compared to UK prices as is typical of the region, but not to the point where it scared me off.

I must give a special mention to two excellent and STAND OUT members of staff - Shoaib, who served us breakfast and dinner with a smile and some light hearted humour every day. Also, Randy from The Yacht Club who was pleased to see us every night as it became our routine wind down area after our evening meal.

Not to end on a negative note, there was little more work going on in and around the hotel grounds than I was led to believe, but this was managed extremely well (and we did visit kind of off season so the best time for the hotel to do it). In a way I was pleased to see these improvements taking place as from what I understand from locals this was the place to be in the early Abu Dhabi days but has been often overlooked to more recent glitzy hotels in the area covered in lights, but this hotel apparently still surpasses them in food quality and service.

The gym is also very extensive here, not usually the case in most hotels!

Would have liked as a platinum ambassador to have been able to have had breakfast in the club lounge too.

To conclude book here with confidence, I will use this hotel again no doubt on my next trip to Abu Dhabi.

Dear SteveGrid2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor. I wish to also thank you for giving us a perfect score. I am delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us and our facilities have met your expectations during your stay. I have shared you comment with Shoaib, who was extremely happy and thankful to you for mentioning his name. Our team is dedicated to offer all our guests a memorable experience during their stay with us.
As you mentioned we are working on developing our beach area. This should be ready by September 2013. The beach development will turn The Bayshore area to a destination suitable to welcome all our leisure traveler. The area will include two swimming pools, pool bar, health club with treatment rooms, a restaurant , 8 rentable cabanas and the amazing beach with white sandy beach and a lovely beach bar.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

The InterContinental Abu Dhabi is a lovely hotel. The suite we had was wonderfully presented, very clean and spacious. The lighting control took some getting used to and the TV remote in the bedroom kept turning on the television in the sitting room. The views over the Marina are beautiful. The only thing spoiling it are the construction works being carried out in the beach area. All in all, a lovely Hotel with a great friendly team.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank William C
InterContinentalAD, General Manager at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Dear William C

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted that you have enjoyed your stay. I do apologise for the TV issue. I have shared this with our Engineering Department and they will make sure this is corrected.
As you mentioned our beach is going through a development program at the moment. This project should be ready by late September 2013. Once this is done, it will reveal a recreation destination like no other in Abu Dhabi. The beach area will include two swimming pool with a pool bar, a health club with treatment rooms, 8 rentable cabanas, a beach restaurant and of course the white sandy beach stretch.
The team would like to thank you for your kind words and we all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Upon arriving to the hotel, Bellboy assisted me with my luggage and was escorted to the Reception. Check-in was fast. I was given a nice room with King bed. I have a city view room. Room is clean and spacious. I also received chocolate covered dates and fruit basket.

I like the little touches Housekeeping leave in my room like a facial spray during one turndown service. Also, I like the "good morning/night" towel they put next to my bed.

Every meal is pleasant. I love the sauteed mushroom, bacon and fruits in the morning.

Fitness center was so-so and hard to find. I like that they provide tissue/towel and sanitizer so the guest can clean the machine after use.

The only hiccup during my stay was when they asked to pay for my meal eventhough is paid my company. I got a refund when I get back to work.

All in all, it was a good stay. Would love to stay with them if given the chance.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Dear Kate V
Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor and for choosing to stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay. The team of InterContinental Abu Dhabi highly appreciates comments about our service and facilities.
Please accept my apologies for the misunderstanding regarding the request for payment. Our Front Office Manager has shared this comment with his team to make sure this does not reoccur in the future.

It would always be our pleasure to welcome you back InterContinental Abu Dhabi where we will make sure your receive another memorable stay with us.