“Outstanding Hotel and Service”

InterContinental Abu Dhabi
Ranked #18 of 129 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 5 November 2010

I has two stays for a total of about 3 weeks in September and October. The concierges and front desk go out of their way to present you with a welcoming and helpful experience, despite the time of day or how many times you've seen them. As are most quality hotels in the UAE, the lobby was impeccable. The rooms I stayed in were a bit dated, but overall I felt comfortable and could easily stay here for longer periods of time.

The lounge on the 18th floor was exceptional. I found the lounge staff to be very helpful and welcoming. The only down side (minor) is their limited hours for snacks and drinks in the evening. If you arrive after 9pm, you are out of luck.

This hotel offers many restaurants. The Belgian Cafe was interesting, had good beer, food selections were somewhat limited, and the service was a bit slow the 4 times I ate there. Boccacio is their Italian restaurant, excellent layout and decor, helpful staff with a moderately ranged menu selection. With all of that said, I wasn't a big fan of any of the dishes I ate there. Another restaurant (can't recall the name) offered some type of Brazilian style of dining, offering a fixed price menu and all you can eat meat selections. I thought it was a bit expensive (280 dirhams) especially since I don't eat a ton of food, but the restaurant was constantly packed. I also ate at their Fish Market restaurant on the water. Here you select which fish and other items to have prepared for you, how much, and the manner in which you want it prepared. In all of my dining here, I was always pleased by the experience and felt it was a fair value for the food and service.

If I had to pick on any negatives for this location, that would be really tough. My one suggestion is they open up the hours of their restaurants, opening earlier than 7pm and staying open later than 10pm (hours varied by restaurant, but in general this was your window to be there).

I did opt for room service since I arrived from work a bit late one evening (10pm). I was pleasantly surprised at the selection, the prices were completely reasonable, the food was excellent and would be happy to do this again. This approach certainly makes up for the limited hours of operation for the restaurants and upper-floor lounge.

1  Thank Mark I
Write a ReviewReviews (2,497)

Reviewed 5 November 2010

What a fantastic hotel. We booked a suite which was on the 8th floor looking over the swimming pool, marina and beach. The room was excellent, large and very very comfortable.
The hotel restaurants are just superb and are situated around the Marina, making it feel that you were away from the hotel. We ate in the Italian, Brazillian and The Fish Market each time sitting outside with the boats bobbing in the Marina, or on the decking just off the beach at the Fish Market. The food in all restaurants was outstanding. The Yatch Club bar also along the marina is also worthy of a mention and was a fantastic way to end off a relaxing day.
The hotel pool with bar was again relaxing with pool staff who really could not do enough for you but were never intrusive.
The whole experience was just brilliant and i would highly recommend staying at the Intercontinental and enjoying a relaxing experience in the sun/

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Julie-AnnFrost
Reviewed 26 October 2010

this is sheer luxury, be it food, room. room service.
Impressive and one of the best of Intercontinental properties globally. the ambience, the lounge, the bar area and the evenings in the property is truly memorable one.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank avid_SAP_traveller
InterContinentalAD, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2010

Dear avid_SAP_traveller,

It was a great pleasure to read your review and to learn that you have had a great experience while staying at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, in our daily efforts we aim to satisfy guests like yourself. We thank you deeply for the kind review and we hope to see you in our property again soon.

Kindest regards,

Dania Malki
PR & Communications Director

Reviewed 15 October 2010

The hotel is a taxi ride to the town centre. There is nothing interesting nearby. The rooms are small but adequate. The bed was comfortable. The light control system takes some getting used to and seemed unnecessarily complicated. I couldn't make the alarm clock work either. On my last evening I went to reception to settle my account. I also asked for a wake up call (because I couldn't make the alarm in the room work) for 3.30 am the next day. We even had a little laugh at my misfortune having to get up so early to catch a flight but I was assured the wake up call was registered in the system. I then booked a taxi with the concierge for 4 am. Next morning, guess what? No wake up call. Luckily someone else must have been checking out because their loud conversation in the corridor woke me just before 4. I took at look at the clock and was horrified to see I was late. I threw on my clothes and hurried out of the hotel. Second guess what? No taxi. I asked the porter to call one and it arrived quite quickly. He took me to the airport for a metered ride of 50 AED compared to the 125 quoted by the hotel, so something worked in my favour. Caught the flight but no thanks to the Intercon. I have to return to Abu Dhabi several times in the following months but I will find somewhere more central and with better customer service. Shame, as I am a big fan of Intercons - I stay in the excellent on in Doha most months - but I won't be returning to this one.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
InterContinentalAD, General Manager at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2010

Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns in the Trip Advisor website.

I am disappointed to learn of your unfortunate experience and appreciate the opportunity you gave us to rectify the matter. Please accept my sincerest apology for the poor service you received from my team, and rest assured that I am personally addressing the issue with those concerned.

With my renewed apologies, I hope to welcome you the next time you visit the hotel.

Yours faithfully,

SIMON W. STAMPER
Area General Manager
Abu Dhabi & Al Ain

Reviewed 12 October 2010

I had a work-related conference to attend, and my wife and 5 year old daughter tagged along with me, From the moment we arrived we felt really genuinely welcome (always a concern when arriving at a hotel. The valet staff were really friendly, so much so that my daughter looked forward to our outings so she could see her 'new bestest friend' valet staff. 2 things I really took notice of when arriving: driving up the hotel is set amongst a lot of beautiful greenery and felt truly 5 star, and when entering the hotel I really noticed how peaceful and just beautiful it was - but I do wonder if I really took notice of these things because it's abu dhabi and I wasn't expecting that, or whether it was just really striking anyway.

When we checked in the girls at the front desk were the most friendly upbeat people in the whole place!there were no queues at check-in (this was a big consideration when we chose to stay here and when we were wandering through other hotels and noticed how busy and big their check in areas were I was even more pleased with where we chose to stay). We were upgraded to a sea view room without asking. One more thing I have to mention about the service..
The manager in duty was also very helpful with giving advice on what to do..I forget his name..Shortly after arriving on the Sunday evening I was trying to connect my connect my Australian iPad to the AT&T 3G service but wasn't having much luck so I asked if he could help. He tried for around 15 minutes but couldn't do it so he gave me a days complimentary wi-fi (was absolutely not expecting that!) so I could check my emails in the room while he spoke to his IT people to see if they could help me work it out. Around 20 minutes later their IT person called (on their day off! around 9pm ) to try and help me over the phone. Which they did and I hooked up my 3g That spoke volumes to me about their service.

The room was absolutely fantastic as well! great view of the sea and extremely peaceful Even the housekeeping staff were really welcoming and friendly, I haven't experienced that to this extent in a hotel before. The remarkable thing was it all seemed genuine, liked they loved their job and really hoped you were having a great stay.

Reviewed 12 October 2010

The Hotel and staff were very nice. The room was clean. Beds very comfortable .Staff were very freindly ,polite,personal service.Reception staff were very good .Small personal touches and attention to details made a big difference.
Service: The customer service is fantastic specially the concierge helped me a lot with the transportation and attractions to visit my clients. I would definitely recommend Intercontinental Abu Dhabi to all the business men and also to all my freinds in Turkey,

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 October 2010

I had a very pleasant 2 night stay at the Intercontinental Abu Dhabi. My room was very nice and the amenities at the hotel were very good. The pool and beach were very clean and attractive. I ordered room service and it was delivered promptly and the food was good. I visited the Safari Club and it was fun – they had a live band playing. Overall the hotel was very nice and the rooms/bed were very comfortable. I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business