“Great location - a less expensive hotel amongst the company of 5 star hotels”

Howard Johnson Hotel Abu Dhabi
Ranked #117 of 127 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Nomad
“Great location – a less expensive hotel amongst the company of 5 star hotels”
Reviewed 14 June 2009

Great location – a less expensive hotel amongst the company of 5 star hotels in the area
Though the rooms in this hotel are very spacious and have a stunning view (if you have the corniche side view on higher floors), the service and hospitality, unfortunately, is very lacking. The food is less than average (though the restaurant manager deserves credit for making an effort and being hard working) and the café is to be avoided – smoke filled, with loud tv and creeky fridge and not too comfortable seating. I was woken up twice in the middle of the night – once by a random stranger who knocked on the door and realized he had the wrong room, 2nd time by this lady in the opposite room who was loud (who seemed to be living there on a long term) who had company in the middle of the night (???) and was returning from the hotel disco – which, you can hear the bass of till like 2 in the morning (I told the receptionist, who called the manager next day only to say we’ll look into it and move on).
I got a corporate rate at this hotel which, at the time, was less than a third of the surrounding 5 star hotels. I’d only stay at this hotel if it were half or less than the one its opposite. The location is great – same as Sheraton or Le Meridien.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2008

What a tip - I stayed in room 407 - as soon as I arrived there there was music from a pub/club downstairs and music from a nightclub on the upper floor - hookers were already out looking for business on the level I was staying at and they ended up chaping my rm door at 2am looking for business - once they seen how disgusted I was they seemd to think this funny and I was woken up regularly at 2am with them laughing etc - complained but it fell on deaf ears and accomodation elsewhere was not an option as everything was fully booked. Cockroaches in the bathroom - room was never cleaned properly.
I even seen a Rat running from the side of the hotel one night and it got ran over by a taxi - taxi's were a nightmare and always tooting horns for customers until about 0215am - this was the worste experience I have ever had -a true tip of a hotel

• Liked — Nothing it was a nightmare
  • Disliked — everything -a true dump
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
4 Thank minicooper041

Travellers are raving about these Abu Dhabi hotels

uk
Reviewed 24 July 2008

the hotel was nothing but a whorehouse with prostitutes hanging around everywhere. they service their clients in the disco which is so loud you can hear it in most rooms, you see them going to all the rooms and it is most definitely not a place to take your wife or your family. DISGUSTING

• Liked — it was disgusting
  • Disliked — the prostitutes everywhere!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
9 Thank diver9
Castries, St. Lucia
Reviewed 25 April 2008

Smoky horrible hotel with awful Disco. Rooms are filled with smoke because of the disco. Strange people. No beach facilities. Staff strange and impolite.

Stayed February 2007
4 Thank FashionPrima
Aberdeen
Reviewed 8 April 2008

I stayed a coupe of months here. Had a suite with kitchen so was able to get my bacon butty in the morning. Hotel has excellent rates compared with other hotels in Abu Dhabi. It is quite oK for a base.
The hotel was generally clean and the staff friendly and helpful.
On the downside there are a lot of bars in the hotel - Filipinino, Indian, Pakistani, Arabic, ect. On Thursday and Friday evenings these bars attact many patrons and many hookers. Getting the elevator on these evenings took time and paitence.
Mostly I ate out but the hotel has an Indian restaurant which does a first class curry.
Hotel is fine for single men and business travelers, but not for families.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — too many bars
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
Riyadh
Reviewed 27 January 2008

I booked directly at the booking website. I called on the day before I arrived and was told it was ok. I arrived there and was told I was overbooked. They sent me to this hotel in unknown area and I did not see any female occupants throughout my stay. I had originally booked for 5 nights and thought the hotel management would be smart enough to book for 5 nights in that dingy hotel. Turned out they were not so smart at all. They booked me for one night and no one could tell me the reason why they didn't booked me for the rest of the nights. I had to pack and unpack for 2 days and had to endure the agony of not knowing where I will be staying that night. That hotel they sent me to wasn't what I called a hotel suitable for single lady on an official business trip. It was just not that safe. And they charged me for as the same amount as I would be paying for Howard Johnson. They gave this hotel a name after a Person... sounded so humane isn't it? But whoever Howard Johnson was, probably Ol' Johnny had become some kind of fossil by this time because whatever human character they had been trying to imply had gone long ago. They were simply irresponsible!!! They won't be having this one customer for sure, again!!!

• Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank TrippedFeet
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 May 2006

The hotel is a collection of bars, discos and night clubs.
In the lift I have been proposition but two black ladies who startd touching my back side.
I have been asked for 20 Dirams by a young guy.
I have been asked in very bad loud English "***** ****** ***** bar - bar". (Where is the bar)
I have bumped into drunks coming out of the hotel entrance.
I have stepped over two locals in the throws of a fight. There was blood everywhere. I told reception but they just shrugged as though this was an every day occurance.
The disco on the 17th floor gets livlier until 02:00 approaches. On the 7th floor, I have to switch on the TV to drown out the noise.
I had breakfast there once. The colourful menue certainly doesn't come upto expectations. I asked for butter and got grease. I managed to get one cup of Nescafe. The bread was best toasted.
Shall I go on?