“Good business hotel, just not terribly exciting”

Le Royal Meridien Abu Dhabi
Ranked #28 of 127 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
London, UK
“Good business hotel, just not terribly exciting”
Reviewed 10 February 2010

I arrived on an overnight flight from London and they let me check in straight away at about 8:30am, which was nice of the them.
I was on one of the Starwood Preferred Guest floors, and the bedroom was lovely with an amazing sea view. However, the bathroom was a bit below par, with a rather antiquated beige suite. It all worked though, but seeing as my last hotel stay was in the Grand Hyatt in Dubai (which is absolutely palatial) maybe I'm just getting a bit spoilt!

The staff in the business centre were great, finding us meeting rooms at no notice, and printing and binding colour presentations for us.
But the front desk staff were a bit less helpful - the voicemail light on my phone was blinking but when I called voicemail it said I had "other mail" instead. So I called the front desk, but they just kept telling me to call voicemail... I never found out what my "other mail" was - I hope it wasn't important!

The carpet in the lobby coffee lounge is a bit headache-inducing, but the dates and petit fours with the coffee more than make up for it.

Overall a good experience, just not the greatest ever.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Slovak first
Cambridge UK
Reviewed 14 December 2009

I stayed at this hotel after moving from the one to one hotel in Abu Dhabi. Unfortunately our preferred hotel was fully booked.

It is a nice hotel in terms of facilities and restaurants - however the service is very impersonal. On check out the receptionist did not even smile or make conversation or ask me how my stay was. He did not even close the conversation and just sat there shuffling paperwork - I had to ask him if that was the transaction over and he just said yes and got up and walked away - very rude I thought.

my company paid 2350 AED per night for one of their suites which was rather a lot - the "suite" was very tired and worn and badly needed redecorating. It certainly wasn't one of the nice rooms they display on their website. I booked a non smoking but on arrival they only had smoking rooms - yuck.

Restaurants are nice but pricey - Amalfi lovely place with nice staff (perhaps they should send some of their staff to work on reception).

Room Service - ok and nice enough food but they didnt collect the tray and it was still there 24 hours later.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel based on cost and customer service. Stay at the Beach Rotana if you want more friendly staff and nicer rooms for a lot less money.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
ADMA-OPCO Offshore
Reviewed 3 December 2009

I was booked by my company ADMA-OPCO to attend a course in the city .
The treatment I received was excellent . I used to stay frequently in hotels in the town . This one was different. From the begining till the end I was completely carried away by each minute things . Whether its the room, Bar or restaurants

• Liked — Spacious rooms
  • Disliked — Little away from Beaches
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank josecpaul
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 July 2009

During our stay at the Hilton Corniche Residence ( see our review in our Tripadvisor Profile ) and the Hilton Baynunah ( see our review in our Tripadvisor Profile ) in November 2008 in Abu Dhabi we had also taken the opportunity to visit the Le Royal Meridien Abu Dhabi in the heart of the Corniche and only 10 to 15 min. walking/strolling distance from our hotel the Hilton Corniche Residence. The Le Royal Meridien Abu Dhabi has a perfect location direct in the middle of the Corniche between the Arabian Gulf and the City Centre on each side. A blue-glass and creme-concrete Landmark Tower with a Landmark location you could say! Beautiful design, imposing entrance and superb Palm Lounge on the Groundfloor of the hotel. We had chosen the Palm Lounge because it is located in the heart of the hotel and the views of the hustle and bustle inside and outside are just so delicious like the food and drink here! We would definitely stay here in the future, please! OK, Folks here it goes! We had superb professional service all the way and enjoyed a few drinks and the Le Royal Club Sandwich, which had a magnificent quality and presentation to it. The Desserts are lovely too. We were literally surrounded by high-end business travellers all the way. Being on leisure in Abu Dhabi on our own was however no problem at all. So next time when in Abu Dhabi we can only too recommend this stunning example of a Luxury hotel with nice location, nice food and surely nice service. When not stay here than at least visit the hotel, its well worth it as they say. On a another note we also visited the Le Meridien Abu Dhabi, the sister hotel to the Le Royal Meridien, which looks and feels totally different we can say. The Le Meridien Abu Dhabi is much more historic, low-rise and has a holiday resort feel to it and lies direct on the Gulf in the Tourist Area of Abu Dhabi near the Abu Dhabi Mall and the Beach Rotana Hotel ( see our review here at Tripadvisor in our profile ). We had visited the Opus Bar at the Le Meridien for fresh juices and the lovely gardens there. What a difference we could see in the both hotels, would we not know that these two are both Le Meridien Hotels we would not know! Hope we could help! Enjoy! So do not forget to FLY!STAY!EXPLORE! MORE! and see the world and the capital of the United Arab Emirates and fly with Etihad!
PS. Beware Taxis without meters from the Marina Mall - 10 min. drive from the Le Royal Meridien - there is no need to take a taxi without meter because all should have one, but there are always black sheep! and they cost triple! Beware, thought you should know! Thanks for reading our Tripadvisor Review!

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Flyers007Dublin
Dubai, UAE
Reviewed 25 June 2009

Unfortunately this hotel, like a number of others in the UAE, tends to charge high prices for very low service. We pulled up to valet the car (the construction in AD means there is never a carpark to be seen - not the hotels fault) and there was noone there - 10 minutes later I hauled all my luggage into reception and onto a trolley - I had thought for the price of the room someone might have offered to help me out with this. The internet connection was slow and everytime we logged on it tried to charge you for another 24 hours. We went into the sports bar next door to watch a live game of rugby and after 30 mins of waiting and numerous time asking (they seemed to employ the "if I ignore them long enough they'll go away" theory - someone eventually told us that noone in the place knew how to change the channel and the tv was therefore stuck on repeats of last weekends game. And then when we checked out the valet guy took our ticket, handed us our keys and pointed across the carpark to where our car was parked!!! The only thing I can recommend is the pub in the complex has very nice food - all in all though, a very disappointing experience and next time we're there on business we'll be staying at the Rotana down the street.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
LRMAD, Manager at Le Royal Meridien Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, 15 July 2009
Dear Guest

We are hugely disappointed by the experience that you have re-told in your review, and we are quite stunned that these instances occured in our property, as I assure you this is not our usual standard of service.

We have a very large team of valet parkers at Le Royal Meridien so there is no excuse for there not to have been someone at the front door to assist you on your arrival, that coupled with your departure experience is exceptionally disconcerting as I have never heard of our associates providing such a terrible welcome and goodbye. I, on behalf of the entire team, offer my sincere apologies to you for these inconveniences.

Our Irish pub, PJ's is an exceptionally popular venue in Abu Dhabi for eating, drinking and entertainment, and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the food there. The staff should indeed have known how to provide the viewing that you requested or at least they should have found someone who could. I must let you know that PJ's is undergoing a slight rennovation and part of that will be to repair any issues such as this one. Our Food and Beverage Director has been notified of this problem and will fix the situation immediately.

I would like to thank you for your feedback and I hope that we may welcome you back in the future so we can show you how Le Royal Meridien service really should be.

Ottawa
Reviewed 25 June 2009

Just completed a 4 night stay at this hotel and I was very impressed. As an SPG member, I was upgraded to a spacious suite in the Royal Tower and it is one of the loveliest rooms I have stayed in anywhere. Check-in was smooth, there are several nice restaurants in the hotel and a spacious pool area. I recommend this hotel without any hesitation.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank garykmcd
Dear Guest

Thank you for your excellent review, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you liked the Royal Club Suite that you were upgraded to as a valued Platinum SPG member.

We hope to see you again soon in the very near future.

Nomad
Reviewed 14 June 2009

I have stayed here several times on business – not more than 2-3 days in a row. The rooms in this hotel are fairly spacious and comfortable, the service is very good, the sea view of the Corniche is stunning, the pool and lobby area are very good, indeed. The only shortcoming I can find with this hotel is the health club/gym (apparently it has two but I was always pointed to the one in the main building, so that is the only one I am aware of), which isn’t quite spacious, well equipped or well air-circulated (hence, feels stuffy). Other than the gym, this hotel is great and also has access to the Corniche for evening/morning jogs and runs. Excellent location!

Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank euricia
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely comments on our hotel, we really do appreciate your review and we are tremendously glad that you enjoyed your stay at Le Royal Meridien.

With regards to your comments about the health club, it is indeed correct that our current facility on the 4th floor is limited in facilities. We are working on improving this and have already installed a brand new studio where we will be providing exercise classes such as Yoga and Spinning, the gym will also be extended in the near future. In the meantime, our guests have the option of using a second facility located behind the outdoor swimming pool in a separate building, next time you stay with us, please just ask the reception for an access card and they will provide directions.

Once again, thank you for your positive review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.