“Great stay”

Le Meridien Abu Dhabi
Ranked #65 of 127 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Stayed at Le Meridien with a friend for a treat weekend and loved it! The hotel has character, loved the old world charm. We stayed at club level which included soft drinks, tea coffee etc throughout the day and cocktails at night, which was great. Also took a breakfast and Internet package as an add on. The breakfast buffet was excellent and the spa area with a range of pools is fantastic. Had a massage which would be the best ever! The outdoor pool and beach were also very good. An older hotel but I felt was quirky rather than dated. Service was excellent and the price for our package was very reasonable - good value all round.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
CyrielleSoulbieu, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2011

Dear WandTNZ,
Your feedback is very valuable for us; I would like to thank you for writing a review.
I am extremely delighted that you enjoyed your stay especially the food we serve and our beach facilities. We are proud to offer some of the best massages in town to our guests; I am very happy that you liked yours. Your positive feedback have been passed on to our associates. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Reviewed 26 July 2011

Clean, functional rooms. Food is OK (not for a foodie rave, but quite edible.).
Internet iin room at EUR 25 per day is very expensive, but they have no choice of provider either.
All worked - that is the most important thing, everything else is just money....

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business

Dear lecoqdnord,
I first would like to thank you for your comments. It has helped us to learn your preferences and it is very valuable to us.
I am very happy that you found the room and the food to your liking. I would like to inform you that the Internet access is totally free in the business centre – which is open 24/7 – as well as for the Royal Club’s guests.
Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you soon at Le Meridien Abu Dhabi.

Reviewed 20 July 2011

We stayed at Le Meridian as a stopover to Europe from Sydney. We have two small boys (19 months and 3 years) and thought we'd try to break the long haul flights up - certainly the thought of a hotel with a pool in the middle of the flights sounded appealing....but I was slightly worried after reading some comments here on TripAdvisor.
I needed have worried as the hotel was fabulous and PERFECT in every way for our family.
We arrived early (7amish) and were given a very very warm welcome - the hotel staff were particlarly good with the boys. We had to change rooms as we needed both and extra bed and a cot and this wasn't a problem. The rooms were fine - nothing fancy but had everything we needed - certainly small boys only need a bath and TV to keep them entertained.
We then headed down to the pool and pretty much spent the morning there. The kids were in heaven! The was a great toddler pool that was mostly shaded, a large pool with steps and small beach. The sea water was WAY too warm for us and at 40C too hot to be in the sun...but the kids were particuarly taken with the view of the construction site across the water. We were prepared for this and found it all fascinating to watch and see what they are creating!
The hotel breakfast was the best ever!!! My husband has stayed in lots of hotels for work and said it was THE best hotel breakfast ever.... the kids were happy and Mum and Dad even more so.
The hotel is also right next to a large shopping mall - a bumpy stroller ride but only 4 minutes walk and a good escape from the heat and place to pick up essentials.
The hotel decor was also great - art deco meets arabian nights (or something!!).... I loved it.
We were really excited to go back again on our return trip and plan to always stop over in Abu Dhabi - both to see more of the country but also stay in the hotel again!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank MrsSGill

Dear MrsSGill,
I am delighted to hear that you and your family had a wonderful time at Le Meridien Abu Dhabi and would like to thank you for taking time to write about your experience.
We appreciate very much your comments regarding our associates and the service you received. It is always very rewarding to read such a positive review.
I am delighted to read that we will have the chance to welcome you again at our hotel. We are very much looking forward to it.

Reviewed 9 July 2011

Like the previous review, we had been offered a really good rate to stay at Le Meridien. Before we went, we were under the impression that this was a run down hotel in comparison to other hotels in Abu Dhabi.

We arrived very early in the morning (I want to say about 8am), doors opened for us, bags taken away, and our room was ready for us (relief as we were very tired!!!). Staff came to the room to check that it was ok for us, and later rang us. We were pleasantly surprised with the quality of our room, particularly the quality of the bed! But, it does not compare to other hotels in the same chain that we have visited.

Eating out there was an issue as I have coeliac disease and cannot eat wheat, rye and barley. Instead of accepting you in a restaurant, and assuring you there are one or two dishes I can eat, they prefer to not accept you in case something goes wrong. This became really frustrating and I decided to have a salad buffet in the main restaurant, after suggestions to not eat there (but I needed to eat somewhere!!!). I was fine, and had an enjoyable meal! I only wish that the restaurants were a little more welcoming, like back at home.

Unfortunately, I am writing to you as I have time to. My partner and I are ill since returning from the hotel. I am not saying that this is the hotel's fault, but the stomach upset is unrelated to coeliac disease, and my partner who does not have coeliac disease is ill too.

Overall, a good service but we did not get turn over on our last night and we asked for a bill and never received it.

Room Tip: Hmm, well we got a standard room and we have the starwood guest card.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank YamenBon
CyrielleSoulbieu, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2011

Dear gorgeousamyx,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the room comfortable and the service good.
Have you made your dietary requirements known to our Chef, I am sure we could have come up with suitable options for you to have. May I take this opportunity to assure you that Le Méridien Abu Dhabi always seeks to maintain the very highest standards of quality and service and it is my sincere hope that your recent experience will not deter you from visiting our hotel when you are next in Abu Dhabi.
We look forward to welcoming you to our hotel and being of service to you on many occasions.

Reviewed 3 July 2011

We stayed here in early July when it is quite hot in AD and go a very discounted rate. Therefore we tolerated a very slow check-in, and the fact that our room was not available until 5:30! We expected the normal front door greeting and bag handler, and got nothing.
We wanted to take a very popular tour of the F1 facility on Yas Island, so I called the concierge to arrange for tickets. He feigned knowledge of the tour and offered to get me a Taxi.
The restaurants are just above average, but priced much higher than that.
The room was not spectacular, but the bed was comfortable. The pool and adjoining private beach were OK, but the view from the beach was of construction cranes and high power lines.
The hotel is centrally located and there are always taxis available to take you to see Abu Dhabi sites.
They have smoking rooms and at least for now allow smoking in the bars and restaurants.
Our bathroom, which had a great shower and was quite clean, only provided ONE towel! We had to call the desk for a second one, which came right away.
Over all, our next trip to AD we will stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: If you want a no smoloking room, be sure to ask!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ForrestWalker
CyrielleSoulbieu, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2011

Dear ForrestWalker,
Your feedback is valuable for us and I would like to thank you for taking the time to write it on Trip Advisor.
First I am delighted that you found our hotel’s location convenient, the bed comfortable and the beach facilities to your liking. Abu Dhabi is obviously a city under construction and it is indeed rare to escape the cranes landscapes. I would like to apologize for providing one towel only in your room; it is clearly a mistake as we always provide 2 shower towels in the double rooms. On another note, we do provide smoking and non-smoking rooms according to the guest’s request.
Hoping to see you very soon again in Abu Dhabi.

Reviewed 7 June 2011

My wife and I stayed at Le Meridien for one night in May 2011. We had dined a number of times at this hotel in previous years, but hadn't been there in a while and had never stayed there, so decided to spend the night as part of a long weekend.
The hotel itself is now very 'tired' and dated. Lifts do not work properly. Decoration is antique and yellowing quickly. Rooms look like they belong to a bad Vegas hotel in the 70's. Television etc ancient. Bathrooms have not been renovated in years. Sink in the shower was throwing back debris the nature of which I care not to describe.
Thats for the room.
We got there around 8:30pm and decided to go for the Buffet Restaurant's 'BBQ night'. Enormous mistake. Meat was sat in display units outdoors in near 40 degree heat bathing in their own blood. Not very appetizing. The indoor part of the buffet was disastrous too. Food not fresh. Hummous congealed. Poor selection, bad execution of dishes. Eventually moved to the Emirates Palace, but this part of our stay in Abu Dhabi turned into a disaster as I developed food poisoning from my dinner at Le Meridien the night before. Will NEVER stay there again. On top of it all, value for money is an outrage.

Room Tip: Avoid like the plague.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DaveD78
CyrielleSoulbieu, Environmental Hygiene Health & Safety Manager at Le Meridien Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2011

Dear Dave78,

With reference to my recent email of the 8th June 2011, may I say again how sorry I was to learn that you had been unwell and trust that you have fully recovered.

Immediately upon receipt of your complaint, our hotel management was instructed to carry out a full investigation into the points that you raised; we have completed a detailed investigation of the methods of supply, delivery, storage, preparation, cooking and service of food, and the hygiene practices at the hotel. These were found to meet our normal high standards in line with our company Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points. In addition, regular hygiene and safety audits are carried out in our hotel; no major deviations from these standards have been highlighted.

La Brasserie restaurant was frequented by a total of 44 guests during the BBQ meat night on the 19th May 2011. All consumed out of the same food items as you. At this time, we have received no other reports of illnesses in connection with these items.

It is therefore considered unlikely that the meals you consumed at the hotel were the cause of your illness.

It may have been possible to detect food poisoning bacteria if a stool sample had been submitted for culture analysis; this would have cast more light on the origin of the illness, enabling the detection of pathogenic bacteria or viruses.
Because no evidence has emerged which would indicate that the hotel was at fault in any way, we are unable to accept liability for your inconvenience.

Yours sincerely,
Roula Hakim
Environmental Hygiene Health & Safety Manager

Reviewed 23 May 2011

hotel overall a bit tired but at least the hotel has some character and feels middle eastern.. the rooms do look to have had a refurb.. like most hotels in abu dhabi- do not expect a room with a view as there are no views as such...but nice to have a balcony. good selection of not too badly priced restaurants and bars and even saw english football live on an outside screen! the pool area is ok, the beach ok altho a shame they are building a new island and buildings right opposite (even worse if u stay at the rotana- great view of a four seasons going up from their beach...). Service is excellent by UAE standards- full marks to the reception staff and helpful concierges and door guys.. bit annoying u have to pay for internet in the room... and wld welcome the hotel feeding the semi starving cats crying nightly in the vicinity... so much food wasted they cld spare scraps... pls feed them....

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
CyrielleSoulbieu, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Abu Dhabi, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2011

Dear Kate70,
Thanks very much for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. You are right, when it comes to the Middle Eastern touch our hotel is one of the best in representing the true spirit that the Gulf area has to offer. I am delighted that you felt comfortable at Le Meridien Abu Dhabi and found our associates helpful. Our outlets offer a diversity of cuisines and I hope you had time to taste the flavours of them all. As for the construction going on, Abu Dhabi is a metropolitan city in the height of expansion following their 2030 plan. It can cause inconvenience to its residents and tourists, however so it also means that when you come back the next time it will surely offer a broader range of attractions and offerings putting it on par with many world cities.
Hoping to welcoming very soon again to our hotel.